PDA

View Full Version : Urbina Traded For Polanco

ATXBMX
06-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Detroit traded Urbina to the Phillies for Placido Polanco. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050608&content_id=1081691&vkey=pr_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi)

Now that they have Urbina, I think the Phils will start shopping Billy Wagner more seriously.

Flight #24
06-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Detroit traded Urbina to the Phillies for Placido Polanco. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050608&content_id=1081691&vkey=pr_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi)

Now that they have Urbina, I think the Phils will start shopping Billy Wagner more seriously.

So the best the Tiggers could do is Polanco? I like the guy, but he'll be a part-time player for them with Guillen, Infante, Inge all playing decently. And they gave up a potential closer.

For the Phillies, it's kind of "meh". They get a middle reliever. If they trade Wagner they're out of it anyway, so Ugie doesn't do them a whole lot of good (isn't he on a 1-year deal?).

ilsox7
06-08-2005, 03:44 PM
So at first I read that as Uribe traded for Polanco. But maybe the Tigers have another tradei n the works...

Rocklive99
06-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I know Guillen left the game yesterday, maybe that was something to do with it, but Urbina seems to have fallen a bit if Polanco is the best they could get

santo=dorf
06-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Urbina has been very good since the beginning of May. I think Urbina has a team option for 2006, but I still think this is a crappy trade for the Tigers.

Ol' No. 2
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM

Now that they have Urbina, I think the Phils will start shopping Billy Wagner more seriously.The Phils are 1.5 games back. They don't figure to be sellers any time soon.

Jjav829
06-08-2005, 03:48 PM

Why would they trade Wagner now? They're only 1.5 out. This move was made to strengthen their bullpen, not make room for them to trade Wagner. If anything, this makes it less likely that they'll trade Wagner until the last days before the deadline if at all.

AntoneSmith2
06-08-2005, 03:53 PM
To me the deal just doesnt make a whole lot of sense for the tigers.

maurice
06-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Isn't Polanco a FA at the end of the year?
Why not trade for prospects instead of a guy who probably will walk?
Did Dumbrowski suffer a severe head injury about the same time he took the Tigers job?

Assuming that they can't re-sign Polonco, they should ship him to a contender for prospects.

balke
06-08-2005, 04:03 PM
To me the deal just doesnt make a whole lot of sense for the tigers.

Maybe they'll try to package up Guillen with someone? I'm sure the Tigers aren't done, they have to do something with that terrible and terribly overpaid staff.

Tekijawa
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
I like this trade for the Phils... They get a good set up man and more importantly open up more playing time for Utley. I think it's a SOLID move for them!

EDIT: and it looks like someone has beat Kenny to "the first big trade of the year" this year.

Ol' No. 2
06-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Isn't Polanco a FA at the end of the year?
Why not trade for prospects instead of a guy who probably will walk?
Did Dumbrowski suffer a severe head injury about the same time he took the Tigers job?

Assuming that they can't re-sign Polonco, they should ship him to a contender for prospects.I suspect that's exactly what they're going to do. If I were Polanco, I wouldn't be putting any down payments on property in Detroit.

Tekijawa
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
If I were Polanco, I wouldn't be putting any down payments on property in Detroit.

If I were ANYBODY I wouldn't be putting any down payments on property in Detroit!

Baby Fisk
06-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I like this trade for the Phils... They get a good set up man and more importantly open up more playing time for Utley. I think it's a SOLID move for them!

Agreed. The Phils have risen like the undead and are making a playoff run. They blew it bigtime last year with a new ballpark but the worst manager (Bowa). Now with mild-mannered Manuel, they've suddenly found themselves.

Chisox003
06-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Agreed. The Phils have risen like the undead and are making a playoff run. They blew it bigtime last year with a new ballpark but the worst manager (Bowa). Now with mild-mannered Manuel, they've suddenly found themselves.

:jerry
You rang? TINKER TINKER TINKER!

Yes yes, I know, not that Manuel...

This is a great trade for the Phils, and unless the Tigers plan on making a bigger deal somewhere down the line, this is right up there on the stupidity meter as the signing of Mr. Her-knee-a

Good work, Tigers :gulp:

JRIG
06-08-2005, 04:44 PM
So the best the Tiggers could do is Polanco? I like the guy, but he'll be a part-time player for them with Guillen, Infante, Inge all playing decently. And they gave up a potential closer.

For the Phillies, it's kind of "meh". They get a middle reliever. If they trade Wagner they're out of it anyway, so Ugie doesn't do them a whole lot of good (isn't he on a 1-year deal?).

Guillen is hurt and Infante has been BRUTAL this season at .215/.259/.349.

34 Inch Stick
06-08-2005, 05:00 PM
A mini market developed for Urbina as another NL East team was in close talks with Detroit. If they had waited a month I think they would have been able to trade him for prospects, as the fans would know the season is done. Now all they received is a good utility infielder and the hope that they will be able to cut a double digit deficit on the two best teams in the AL. The Sox/Twins are comparable to the Yankees/Red Sox the past couple of years. All the rest of the teams in their division are kidding themselves if they think they have a chance.

balke
06-08-2005, 05:29 PM
All I can say is this is a great trade for me, as Utley will surely get solid playing time with no more worries. Hello fantasy stat boost.

ATXBMX
06-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Why would they trade Wagner now? They're only 1.5 out. This move was made to strengthen their bullpen, not make room for them to trade Wagner. If anything, this makes it less likely that they'll trade Wagner until the last days before the deadline if at all.

I say that because they won't re-sign Wagner in the offseason. If they plan to beat out every team in the NL East, they have to fortify a shaky rotation. The Phillies have the highest ERA in the division, while Florida and Atlanta have the lowest ERA in the league. They could get a decent starter if they package Wagner and Ryan Howard in a trade.

Lip Man 1
06-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Is Percival back as closer?

If not due to his injury, then what the hell are the Tigers doing dealing Urbina for an infielder?

Does this mean Fanrsworth is closing???

Lip

Chisox003
06-08-2005, 08:01 PM

If not due to his injury, then what the hell are the Tigers doing dealing Urbina for an infielder?

Lip

Percival is back, and obviously he has to be closing again

But if he does get hurt again.....

mjmcend
06-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Lip

Percival came back a few games ago, and hasn't let up a hit and struck out two in 2 innings of work and I don't think they are paying him $12 mil over the next couple of years to be a set-up man.

JackParkman
06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
I say that because they won't re-sign Wagner in the offseason. If they plan to beat out every team in the NL East, they have to fortify a shaky rotation. The Phillies have the highest ERA in the division, while Florida and Atlanta have the lowest ERA in the league. They could get a decent starter if they package Wagner and Ryan Howard in a trade.

Keep in mind that Philly was very much in need of a setup man with Tim Worrell shelved because of personal problems. I think this deal says more about Worrell's future with the club than Wagner's. With a new ballpark, Philly is no longer adverse to spending big money so I wouldn't assume that they're going to deal Wagner because they think they can't sign him for next year.
Now if they fall out of contention, that may change.

Chicago83
06-09-2005, 02:21 AM
If I were ANYBODY I wouldn't be putting any down payments on property in Detroit!

LOL, good one. But sadly there is truth in it. Detroit is terrible, half of the building are abandoned or burnt down and their is tons of crime. Half of the population moved out a long time ago and no one new is coming back.

Foulke You
06-09-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm not so sure Urbina was the right fit for Philly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Urbina more of a flyball pitcher better suited to a park like Comerica or Pro Players where he has had success? Philly's new park is kind've a launching pad if memory serves me right. It will be interesting to see if the long ball turns into a problem for Urbina in his new home.

Unregistered
06-12-2005, 07:51 PM
From the Sun Times:

Though he reportedly asked to be traded in spring training after the arrival of closer Troy Percival, reliever Ugueth Urbina was dealt from the Detroit Tigers to the Philadelphia Phillies after an altercation with one or more people on the Tigers during the team flight to Los Angeles last Sunday night, according to Booth Newspapers.

Rocklive99
06-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Oooo, today on Boers and Bernstein on their Second Half/news slot, they said that Urbina got traded after a fight with Maggs on a plane, and that Maggs has said he might want to be traded if the Tigers don't improve. LMAO! I can't even count the ways in which this is funny!