PDA

View Full Version : chicago baseball/wussies

clee-hegone
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
watching erstad completely destroy the braves catcher gave me a flashback from last year when torii "the truck" ran over burke. i have to ask what is it about the players in this city, why are they such *******. we refuse to run over the catcher. ever other team does it except the sox and the cubs, and it pisses me off. now im not asking a guy like podsednik or patterson to run over a catcher but how about rowand or dye? on the other side hollandsworth or burnitz. especially frank thomas he's what 6-5 270 lbs, how many times have we seen him motoring down the line then we see he;s out by a mile and he still slides like he will make it. imagaine if frank would run him over and deposit him in the front row. i guess its an attitude and hopefully ozzie will change ours.

elrod
06-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Injury is a big part of it. Without full football pads, or even a chest protector and shin guards, the runner is at a huge disadvantage. Very easy to jam a shoulder.

Heffalump
06-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Injury is a big part of it. Without full football pads, or even a chest protector and shin guards, the runner is at a huge disadvantage. Very easy to jam a shoulder.

I agree that most do not try to take out the catcher due to fear of injury, but the runner is definitely not at a disadvantage. Even with the extra equipment, the catcher is basically a sitting duck when he attempts to block the plate.....Its like standing in the middle of the street and waiting for something to hit you.

I think it is all about individual player mentality. Hopefully, when the situation arises down the stretch this year, Ozzieball will have a positive effect on our players in this matter.

Rocklive99
06-08-2005, 03:40 PM
It's true, it makes me wonder if we ever had a brawl. It was nice to see Crazy Carl or Dye stare someone down after getting hit or JG throw behind someone in retaliation, but then there's a guy like PK who would wash the opposing catcher's eqiupment before running someone over, but has no problem voicing opinions on teammates. Or even El Duque, at a game in Cleveland, some idiot player was yappin at him from the dugout and acting all tough while Duque was making hand signals to say "everything's cool". I guess that was a good thing about bringing in AJ

chaerulez
06-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Just because a player doesn't take out a catcher make him any less soft. Personally, I think Frank Thomas taking out a catcher and then getting injured is not worth it to try and pop that ball out. Too much is being made out of this topic. The Braves blew it out of porportion and now it should be settled after yesterday, unless the Angels manage to plunk someone tonight.

mweflen
06-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah, i only see it being worthwhile if it's a game 7 do or die situation in the playoffs, or a clinching game in the regular season. I'd rather have one fewer run and Frank healthy for the next 4 months than one extra run and Timo Perez in the lineup every day because of some dumb injury.

WhosKarkovice?
06-08-2005, 04:08 PM
i'm pretty positive i remember Crede trying to take down a catcher earlier this season....

agains the twinks too i believe.

SoxSpeed22
06-08-2005, 05:18 PM
i'm pretty positive i remember Crede trying to take down a catcher earlier this season....

agains the twinks too i believe.He was prepared to if Mauer got in his way. Also
:threadblows:

Nellie_Fox
06-09-2005, 12:05 AM
watching erstad completely destroy the braves catcher gave me a flashback from last year when torii "the truck" ran over burke. i have to ask what is it about the players in this city, why are they such *******. we refuse to run over the catcher. ever other team does it except the sox and the cubs, and it pisses me off. now im not asking a guy like podsednik or patterson to run over a catcher but how about rowand or dye? on the other side hollandsworth or burnitz. especially frank thomas he's what 6-5 270 lbs, how many times have we seen him motoring down the line then we see he;s out by a mile and he still slides like he will make it. imagaine if frank would run him over and deposit him in the front row. i guess its an attitude and hopefully ozzie will change ours.#1 Find the shift key on your keyboard. Capital letters exist for a reason.

#2 It pisses you off that Cubs players don't do it? You're on the wrong board. I couldn't even identify Hollandsworth if I was standing next to him.

Mickster
06-09-2005, 10:06 AM
#1 Find the shift key on your keyboard. Capital letters exist for a reason.

#2 It pisses you off that Cubs players don't do it? You're on the wrong board. I couldn't even identify Hollandsworth if I was standing next to him.

:thumbsup: