PDA

View Full Version : Carl Everett breaks out the tin foil

santo=dorf
06-08-2005, 12:27 PM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/081sd2.htm

As far as the Sox outfielder is concerned, the league has done everything it can to predetermine who makes the postseason by the way it sets up the schedule. Everett's conspiracy theory insists the Minnesota Twins and the New York Yankees are the main beneficiaries of the so-called loaded schedule.

"I don't think it's going to come down to us and Minnesota," Everett said. "I think it comes down to the way the schedule is laid out. The schedule is laid out for us to fail. "We're saving everyone until the last part of the season. The schedule is basically built for Minnesota. But I don't think we're worried about Minnesota ... I hope we're not worried about Minnesota. Like I said before, if we just go out and win against the teams in our division, it doesn't matter how slanted the schedule is, we're going to win."

"Our schedule is made out to where we have a relaxing June and a September with no time off," Everett said. "The team that is going to have the most days off in the second half is who the schedule makers want to win it. But at the same time, if we beat Minnesota, Cleveland, Kansas City, like we have, it doesn't matter how that schedule is filled out. Beat your division, you win the division."

Everett also doesn't like the fact the Twins are done playing Boston and New York by Aug. 7, and the Sox don't even play the Yankees until Aug. 8.

As far as interleague games, the Sox are matched up with the Cubs, while Minnesota gets to play Milwaukee.

"They call it an unbalanced schedule, and it really is," Everett said. "The whole schedule is made out for the Yankees, but in our division, it's made for the Twins. "They need to get rid of interleague play, because it doesn't do justice for all the teams. If you want to make it fair, have everyone play each other. It was good for the first two years, but now it's time to give it a rest."

First off, the comment about the Yankees and Twins is stupid. Second, how are the schedules going to become "balanced" if they get rid of interleague play? All the divisions in the AL are not equal, and IMO, it's better for baseball to see the Sox play their divisional rivals 19 times a years instead of making another trip out West.

Jurr
06-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Weird guy. Helluva hitter, though!:D:

PatK
06-08-2005, 12:40 PM
I agree with Carl in the sense that some teams look like they have much weaker interleague schedules than others.

Tekijawa
06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Are Carl and Dusty Baker related in anyway?

mweflen
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
The Twinks have 3 days off in September while we have 2. OTOH, we have 3 in August compared to their 2.

Interleague-wise, they face the Giants once and Brewers twice, while we face the Rockies once and Cubs twice. The other opponents (ARI, Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles, and SD) are the same.

Other than that, our schedules are basically mirror images of each other - they face the same teams we do, either the series before or the series after.

Conclusion: Carl is hitting the pipe a bit too hard - or has too much time to think on the bench these days.

bobj4400
06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Carl's comments sound like a the comments in a thread that will definitely be found on this website come August. The conspiracy theorists are out early this year...

LVSoxFan
06-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey this is the same guy who says that dinosaurs never existed, so whatever...

The Racehorse
06-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Memo to Carl: Hey, no problem. Just keep doing what you've been doing when it's game time.

Palehose13
06-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I kinda agree with this part:

"Our schedule is made out to where we have a relaxing June and a September with no time off,"

IIRC, the same thing happened last year and there one RARE day off they had to play a make up game wih Philly. I know some of you don't think "off days" matter, but I would imagine that down the stretch with all the traveling and playing everyday an off day every now and then really helps.

balke
06-08-2005, 12:52 PM
That was definitely how it seemed last year. But this season, not at all. This is fair enough schedule for the sox, its really kinda embarassing that Carl said all this.

Edit: Where's the irony bus?

Palehose13
06-08-2005, 12:54 PM
its really kinda embarassion that Carl said all this.

:hawk

"Your what hurts?"

:wink:

buehrle4cy05
06-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't think you can say the interleague schedule is blatantly pro-Twins, as it was made up before the year started. It could be easy to say the schedule makers gave the Twins a harder interleague schedule before the season, as they have to play the Giants (> 90 wins in 04), while the Sox get the Rockies (<70 wins in 04). Although, in 2004, the White Sox easily had the tougher interleague schedule, and I knew that before the season started. Carl would have made a better point if he brought up the fact that the Sox get 2 away series in the hell-hole known as Oakland.

mweflen
06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
We have 10 games against Oakland, they have 10 against LAAAAA. Who would you rather face?

Our inability to beat a crap team in their house (oakland) is our problem. The Twins are facing a better team in LAAAAA.

Jerko
06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
The interleague play probably affects the East more than the Central this year. Look at Baltimore; their next 4 opponents are the Pirates, Reds, Astros, and Rockies. 4 of the 6 worst teams in baseball. (KC and TB the others). Boston gets SL, the flubs (big whoo), and Philly, and already played the Braves.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Both the Sox and Twins have "cake" Septembers. Both play almost exclusively within the division, so in addition to playing each other, both also get a steady diet of Detroit, KC and Cleveland.

The Sox have 17 home games in September as well, where as a team they are better and were Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko traditional are much better.

The only difference, besides the fact that they get one more off day, is that the Sox play Anaheim at the Cell while Minny plays the Rangers at the Humpdome. Otherwise their September schedules nearly are identical.

And this year, as a Sox fan I'm not worried about the Yankees.

:supernana:

Carl can get traded for all I care. I'd much rather see Frank get all the ABs as the full-time DH, anyway.

Rocklive99
06-08-2005, 01:33 PM
He has a point in the sense that we play 20 straight games to end the season (!), more than the Twins' 17, and whereas our end stretch is on the road and theirs is at home. I doubt that they were favored since they are basically making Selig look like an idiot, but it get's suspicious when the Flubs get 2 days off in the last 2 weeks and a grueling 6 straight games to end the season

elrod
06-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Carl Everett is an idiot. Why am I not surprised that he would be the one to make such a stupid complaint.

cheeses_h_rice
06-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Carl, no offense, m'man, but please, just **** and deal with it.

Seriously, if this were Toriiii Hunter or Matt Lecroy saying something like this, the board would be inundated with this emotion in response --------> :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

It is impossible to make a schedule that's equally fair to everyone, and that includes days off, late-season matchups, etc. Just imagine if the Yankees were running away with their division, and those August games against them didn't seem that important to them vs. conserving their rotation's arms. It works both ways, and no one knows whose schedule is going to be the most favorable until the season shakes out like it has.

RedPinStripes
06-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Are Carl and Dusty Baker related in anyway?

LOL! I was going to ask the same thing. Carl needs to lay off the crak pipe. The Sox and the Twins have played the SAME teams a week apart from eachother. The Brewers arent a bad team either.

DickAllen72
06-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Why is it that whenever a White Sox player or official is quoted saying something that makes himself or the organization look bad it's always in a Joe Cowley article? :?:

I wonder what Joe Cowley's question was to Carl that drew this response. You notice Cowley never writes what his questions are that draw the quotes he reports.

soxrme
06-08-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree with Carl in the sense that some teams look like they have much weaker interleague schedules than others.
I also agree with Carl. Interleague play is national league favored because of the DH rules. We have 6 intense games with the cubs and the Twins get the Brewers and St. Louis get Kansas City. I would rather see the Yankees and other East clubs more.

seanpmurphy
06-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Come on the man doesn't believe in dinosaurs cause he's never seen one. Just like I don't believe in air cause I've never seen it.

Between Paulie spouting off earlier with that crap about Uribe, and now cub-spiracy junk from Everett I've had enough of the Sox saying anything but "No Comment" to the media. Except AJ, he seems to know how to handle them with some humor but he's a total clubhouse cancer.

:smile:

DumpJerry
06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
As far as interleague games, the Sox are matched up with the Cubs, while Minnesota gets to play Milwaukee.
:?: How is this a problem for us?

Baby Fisk
06-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Crazy Carl needs more playin' time and less thinkin' time.

:everett:
"Oil prices are high because we use maple bats now."

"Mark Felt is a stooge for the real Deep Throat: the uncontrollably ambitious Gerald Ford."

"After tonight's game, I'm going to kidnap that Rockies mascot and get righteous on his blasphemous ass."

"I'd better get around to throwing out all those heads I keep in the freezer. Did I say that out loud? *** you lookin' at, Widger?"

Falstaff
06-08-2005, 04:33 PM
somebody who is his best pal on the team (possibly Dye?) ought to put an arm around Carl's shoulder, and whisper in his ear " hey man, you absolutely right. the twinks suck and it aint fair. we been dissed. now channel that anger and hit 2 homeruns today" imagine making the ball explode

RedPinStripes
06-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Here's a flashback on how nuts Carl is.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/news/2000/07/19/everett_flashback/

mccoydp
06-08-2005, 06:39 PM
:everett: + :bong:= crazy stories like this.

mccoydp
06-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Come on the man doesn't believe in dinosaurs cause he's never seen one. Just like I don't believe in air cause I've never seen it.

Between Paulie spouting off earlier with that crap about Uribe, and now cub-spiracy junk from Everett I've had enough of the Sox saying anything but "No Comment" to the media. Except AJ, he seems to know how to handle them with some humor but he's a total clubhouse cancer.

:smile:

Don't forget that other cancer, that Thomas guy...

gosox41
06-08-2005, 07:01 PM
That was definitely how it seemed last year. But this season, not at all. This is fair enough schedule for the sox, its really kinda embarassing that Carl said all this.

Edit: Where's the irony bus?

It is. If Dusty made a comment like this with the Cub, we'd be blasting him for being a wimp.

Bob

ode to veeck
06-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Who cares about Carl's tinfoil, as long as he keeps getting those two out, two ribbie hits like he did to start it out vs the RockPiles tonight

Fenway
06-08-2005, 08:30 PM
I think the teams in the East would trade September schedules with either the Twins or White Sox in a heartbeat.

ode to veeck
06-08-2005, 08:44 PM
I think the teams in the East would trade September schedules with either the Twins or White Sox in a heartbeat.

Why would they want to do that!?!? They'd have to play a ton of games against one of the best two teams in the AL this year (Twins or Sox)

RedPinStripes
06-08-2005, 09:39 PM

No matter who they play , ESPN will make everyone watch it anyway.

ode to veeck
06-08-2005, 10:46 PM
No matter who they play , ESPN will make everyone watch it anyway.

not here they won't

RedPinStripes
06-08-2005, 11:05 PM
not here they won't

I just hate the fact that if i wasnt to watch a weekday or weekend game, 8 out of ten times it's the yankees or redsox. And the world has to stop when they play eachother.

TheOldRoman
06-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey this is the same guy who says that dinosaurs never existed, so whatever...
Of course dinosaurs exist, there is a big purple one in a Rockies jersey running around behind homeplate.:cool:

gobears1987
06-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Our schedule may look strong now, but when it was made, Arizona and other teams were expected to stink, but they ended up doing well.

Milkman43
06-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Wait, I must have missed something. What did Konerko say about Uribe? I saw this in an earlier post.

Tragg
06-09-2005, 12:20 AM
You'll never hear the mouthpieces for NY and Boston say this on ESPN, but the FACT is that the AL Central is a TOUGHER division this year than is the AL East. The EAst is below .500 as a division; the Central is above .500. The West is also below .500, which makes the Central the toughest division in the league.

Falstaff
06-09-2005, 12:23 AM
somebody who is his best pal on the team (possibly Dye?) ought to put an arm around Carl's shoulder, and whisper in his ear " hey man, you absolutely right. the twinks suck and it aint fair. we been dissed. now channel that anger and hit 2 homeruns today" imagine making the ball explode
so, like I predicted, he got some inspiration, got a lil crazy and kicked axe tonite!! GO GO WHITE SOX!!

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2005, 12:28 AM
We have 10 games against Oakland, they have 10 against LAAAAA. Who would you rather face?

It's actually the other way around.

Jurr
06-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balke
its really kinda embarassion that Carl said all this.

:hawk

"Your what hurts?"

:roflmao: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :roflmao: