PDA

View Full Version : Slowest Sox, Ever...

Procol Harum
06-08-2005, 10:58 AM
A contra thread to ChiSoxfanatic's question about the speediest Sox of the ages....

Let me start the ball rolling with the three slowest I can remember:

3.) Richie Zisk
2.) Greg Luzinski (at the time the Sox had him--when he first came up with the Phils, he had surprising speed)
1.) Sherm Lollar

And we're not counting pitchers before the DH came into being--otherwise the great Wilbur Wood would make the list (and also as perhaps the worst hitter I ever saw).

Jerko
06-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Booter Hill

Spanky Lavailliere

skottyj242
06-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Ron Karkovice

Baby Fisk
06-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Santo! :angry:

EastCoastSoxFan
06-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Ron Kittle was pretty slow, but didn't he and the Bull once pull a double steal from first and third...?

Lip Man 1
06-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Ed Herrmann wasn't the swiftist of foot either.

Lip

Chez
06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Without question Smoky Burgess. The guy was like 50 years old when he played for us in the 60's.

Paulwny
06-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Smokey Burgess and Big Klu.

ja1022
06-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Courtesy of the recent Sox-O-Gram and Jimmy Piersall, I give you Eric Soderholm.

havelj
06-08-2005, 11:37 AM
A contra thread to ChiSoxfanatic's question about the speediest Sox of the ages....

Let me start the ball rolling with the three slowest I can remember:

3.) Richie Zisk
2.) Greg Luzinski (at the time the Sox had him--when he first came up with the Phils, he had surprising speed)
1.) Sherm Lollar

And we're not counting pitchers before the DH came into being--otherwise the great Wilbur Wood would make the list (and also as perhaps the worst hitter I ever saw).

In Luzinski's defense, he was generally known as one of the base runners in the league on those teams along with Fisk. I would rather have smart and slow then fast and dumb.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't understand how such a thread can't include Paulie "Three-Toed Sloth" Slownerko.

TDog
06-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Ed Herrmann wasn't the swiftist of foot either.

Lip

Some people are indeed slow. Ron Kittle actually had some speed when he came up with the Dodgers. I'm sure Sherm Lollar, like catchers Booter Hill and Ron Karkovice, was slow. But Hill scored from second on a sacrifice fly, and, like Paul Konerko, Karkovice has an inside-the-park home run to his credit.

Ed Hermmann, though, is where I think this discussion should begin and end.

ShoelessJoeS
06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't understand how such a thread can't include Paulie "Three-Toed Sloth" Slownerko.
my choice as well

wilburaga
06-08-2005, 11:52 AM
And Karko did steal 10 bases one year. I think that takes him out of the Lollar/Burgess/Konerko/Herrmann category.

W

Dick Allen
06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Sherm Lollar, Ed Herrmann, John Romano, almost any catcher who's played for the Sox except Fisk.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2005, 12:07 PM
And Karko did steal 10 bases one year. I think that takes him out of the Lollar/Burgess/Konerko/Herrmann category.

I think that has more to do with Karko running on catchers who were sitting down at the plate..... :redneck

Kuzman
06-08-2005, 12:14 PM
In Luzinski's defense, he was generally known as one of the base runners in the league on those teams along with Fisk. I would rather have smart and slow then fast and dumb.

fast and dumb can atleast get us from 1st to home though.

TDog
06-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Luzinski stole home for the Sox in 1984.

clogoodie
06-08-2005, 12:31 PM
and, like Paul Konerko, Karkovice has an inside-the-park home run to his credit.

A month or so ago, I was at my parent's house looking through my baseball card collection, and I picked up one of Karko's cards out of curiousity as to his career stats and what his best season looked like. Well the card I looked at had that interesting fact on the back...something like "On July 3, 1990, he hit an inside-the-park grand slam at the Metrodome"...

AN INSIDE-THE-PARK GRAND SLAM?!? KARKOVICE?!?

I think I called 3 of my friends to recite that fact to them. I still can't imagine how this play happened. Does anyone remember it? What the hell happened to the ball in the outfield that Karko was able to rumble all the way around the bases?

slavko
06-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Not that I saw him in person, but "Banana Nose" Zeke Bonura, first baseman of the 30's, was rooted to the ground, according to historians. Didn't he set some sort of assist record for first baseman, because he could never get to the bag after fielding a ground ball?

wilburaga
06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Not that I saw him in person, but "Banana Nose" Zeke Bonura, first baseman of the 30's, was rooted to the ground, according to historians. Didn't he set some sort of assist record for first baseman, because he could never get to the bag after fielding a ground ball?

Old 'Banana Nose' was famed for his 'Mussolini Salute' as he waved at grounders on their way right field. However in 1935, he did steal home in the 15th inning to defeat the Yankees.

Here's an article on some of Zeke's wartime activities.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/submit/Gisclair_S._Derby3.stm

W

slavko
06-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Old 'Banana Nose' was famed for his 'Mussolini Salute' as he waved at grounders on their way right field. However in 1935, he did steal home in the 15th inning to defeat the Yankees.

Here's an article on some of Zeke's wartime activities.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/submit/Gisclair_S._Derby3.stm

W
Thanks for the link; the article was a riot. One of the teams Zeke organized was the Algiers Streetwalkers! Why don't teams have names like that today?

The Racehorse
06-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Too me, it's a tie for 3rd between Deron Johnson and PK... while the pregnant woman finishes 1st & 2nd.

mrfourni
06-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Rockin Robin wasn't very fleet of foot

soxfan1956
06-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah I remember. It was a line drive that skipped on the fake turf all the way to the wall. Karko was pretty fast actually.

A month or so ago, I was at my parent's house looking through my baseball card collection, and I picked up one of Karko's cards out of curiousity as to his career stats and what his best season looked like. Well the card I looked at had that interesting fact on the back...something like "On July 3, 1990, he hit an inside-the-park grand slam at the Metrodome"...

I think I called 3 of my friends to recite that fact to them. I still can't imagine how this play happened. Does anyone remember it? What the hell happened to the ball in the outfield that Karko was able to rumble all the way around the bases?

voodoochile
06-08-2005, 01:40 PM

Karkovice was not that slow. Like someone pointed out, he had 10 steals one year. He actually moved alright early in his career.

Remember, even Konerko has an inside the park HR...:o:

eriqjaffe
06-08-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm a little surprised nobody's mentioned Ron Hassey yet.

Epark84
06-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Robin Ventura, Paul Konerko, and Frank Thomas are the slowest that I remember

wdelaney72
06-08-2005, 02:32 PM
I'll switch gears and point out James Baldwin had to be one of the slowest acting pitchers in Sox history.

soxfan43
06-08-2005, 03:41 PM
You guys are all wrong. It is easily David Wells. Anyone see him react to a bunt??

Lip Man 1
06-08-2005, 03:50 PM
History lesson:

I just rewatched Karkovice's inside the park grand slam off my 1990 highlights tape (2 hours)

Kark hit a low line drive over short that skipped all the way to the wall in left center, Dan Gladden the Twins left fielder, went after the ball. As he was picking it up his feet slipped on the warning track and he started to fall, as he was doing so, he tried to flip the ball to Kirby Puckett so that he could get the relay in. Unfortunately for the Twins, Puckett wasn't looking at Gladden! Kirby was looking towards home and never saw Gladden's flip which rolled past him. By the time Kirby got the ball and threw it in everyone scored standing up (including Kark.)

At first Paciorek thought it would be ruled a triple and an error but officially it was called a inside the park grand slam.

Lip

TornLabrum
06-08-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm surprised Robin hasn't gotten more mention. At SoxFest one year, Ozzie made the oft-used comment, "If Robin was in a race with a pregnant woman, he'd finish third."

SoxFanSince67
06-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Wilbur Wood
Don Pavolitic (sp)

Falstaff
06-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Ed Herrmann - lumbering fatass who caught a mean knuckleball

TomBradley72
06-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Mark Salas...in the mid-late 80's

ND_Sox_Fan
06-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Besides Konerko, how about Mike "Spanky" Lavallier? I can still remember Hawk's reaction to Spanky going from first to third on a single.

Konerko is not only slow, but painfully slow to react - zero quickness and ability to make a first step.

LongLiveFisk
06-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Remember, even Konerko has an inside the park HR...:o:

Really? Wow, I don't remember that...what did the outfielder do, slam into the wall and get knocked unconscious or something? :tongue:

mccombe_35
06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Rockin Robin wasn't very fleet of foot

good call! i was worried I was gonna get through the whole thread without a Ventura sighting. Being a fan for 15 years my votes go to Ventura & Konerko. Pasqua should also get a mention IMO.

TornLabrum
06-08-2005, 11:24 PM
As one who has seen everyone from Sherm Lollar on, I'd have to go with Smokey Burgess, but Lollar would give him a walk for his money.

Brian26
06-08-2005, 11:30 PM
fast and dumb can atleast get us from 1st to home though.

Luzinski's problem towards the end was getting from home to first :D:

ode to veeck
06-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Smokey Burgess takes the cake for sure, good thing for all those PH HRs

tstrike2000
06-08-2005, 11:44 PM
I remember watching Jerry Dybzinski "The Dibber" as a kid and I thought he was pretty slow, too. I always laughed because he ran and walked bow-legged.

slavko
06-08-2005, 11:59 PM
History lesson:

I just rewatched Karkovice's inside the park grand slam off my 1990 highlights tape (2 hours)

Kark hit a low line drive over short that skipped all the way to the wall in left center, Dan Gladden the Twins left fielder, went after the ball. As he was picking it up his feet slipped on the warning track and he started to fall, as he was doing so, he tried to flip the ball to Kirby Puckett so that he could get the relay in. Unfortunately for the Twins, Puckett wasn't looking at Gladden! Kirby was looking towards home and never saw Gladden's flip which rolled past him. By the time Kirby got the ball and threw it in everyone scored standing up (including Kark.)

At first Paciorek thought it would be ruled a triple and an error but officially it was called a inside the park grand slam.

Lip

I vaguely remember that the win in that game broke a 5 game losing streak.

TDog
06-09-2005, 12:34 AM
History lesson:

Lip

Ed Herrmann might have stretched that into a double.

Milkman43
06-09-2005, 01:00 AM
The sox third baseman haven't been to quick on their feet. Crede and Ventura got to be up there.

Nellie_Fox
06-09-2005, 01:32 AM
As one who has seen everyone from Sherm Lollar on, I'd have to go with Smokey Burgess, but Lollar would give him a walk for his money.Yeah, but all "smokehouse" was expected to do was drag his three-pound bat up to the plate, get a hit, and wait for the pinch runner to arrive.

FredManrique
06-09-2005, 01:47 AM
History lesson:

Lip

I could have sworn Karko's inside the parker came when John Moses got his foot stuck in the wall at old Comiskey... but I was just a kid so I could be thinking of something else.

I always thought John Kruk was the slowest White Sox player I ever saw.

Hands down the slowest player I've ever seen anywhere is Barry Bonds. He won't run out ground balls and he doesn't hustle in the field. I'm glad the Sox don't have him.

Nellie_Fox
06-09-2005, 01:53 AM
Hands down the slowest player I've ever seen anywhere is Barry Bonds. He won't run out ground balls and he doesn't hustle in the field. I'm glad the Sox don't have him.There's a difference between lack of hustle and lack of speed. Bonds is a dog-ass. The other guys listed on here are just sloooowwww.

CLSoxFan
06-09-2005, 02:04 AM
PK - at least the slowest these days.

RowanDye
06-09-2005, 04:48 AM
If Frank and Paulie are both on the team next year they will be fighting it out for the slowest basecloggers in my short memory...

jabrch
06-09-2005, 07:41 AM
:walnuts
"You forgetting about me?"

Dick Allen
06-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Really? Wow, I don't remember that...what did the outfielder do, slam into the wall and get knocked unconscious or something? :tongue:Not only that, but he would have had to fall on top of the other two outfielders so they couldn't get up.