PDA

View Full Version : Why so many Sox fans in Denver?

32nd&Wallace
06-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I was surprised at the number of Sox fans who were in Denver Tuesday and Monday. It appears whenever the Sox go out to the west, they attract a lot of fans. However, this does not happen when the Sox go east or when the Sox play in their own division. Why don't Sox fans get that kind of fan support when they place elsewhere - Boston, New York, Detroit, Baltimore, MINNESOTA!!!!

Tekijawa
06-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Why don't Sox fans get that kind of fan support when they place elsewhere - Boston, New York, Detroit, Baltimore, MINNESOTA!!!!

Why would any Sox fan in their right mind move to any of those Cities? There's a reason that all you see in those stadiums are fans of those teams, and that's because the people grew up there rooting for those teams and are unable to leave the basements of their parent's houses...

mjharrison72
06-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I, for one, was always in attendance when the Sox came to Baltimore.

Great to see and hear all the Sox fans in Denver, though. I think a lot of it is the same thing I'm noticing with the Nationals games here in DC... a lot of people are going to see the Nats, but a lot are going to see the road team, as well... this is especially true with Mets, Braves and when the cubs came to town. They're still outnumbered by Nats fans, but they show up to cheer the team.

Does anyone wonder, though, if a lot of the Sox fans at the games in Colorado are bandwagon fans so far this year? If so, I say welcome aboard!

BigEdWalsh
06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
In the 70's, Denver was home for the White Sox' AAA affiliate. That could have a little something to do with it.

Procol Harum
06-08-2005, 09:44 AM
I was surprised at the number of Sox fans who were in Denver Tuesday and Monday. It appears whenever the Sox go out to the west, they attract a lot of fans. However, this does not happen when the Sox go east or when the Sox play in their own division. Why don't Sox fans get that kind of fan support when they place elsewhere - Boston, New York, Detroit, Baltimore, MINNESOTA!!!!

Who--when looking for the land of opportunity--moves to the Northeast or the Rust Belt?? 'Nuff said.

PatK
06-08-2005, 09:46 AM
A lot of kids from around here become hippies in college and flock to Colorado for the weed and Dave Matthew's concerts at Red Rocks.

The Big Squirt
06-08-2005, 09:51 AM
I was also shocked by this. Are other people nationally getting on the bandwagon?

jenmcm76
06-08-2005, 09:53 AM
It's all about the altitude - Sox fans just naturally rise to the top!

Malgar 12
06-08-2005, 10:07 AM
In the 70's, Denver was home for the White Sox' AAA affiliate. That could have a little something to do with it.

Correctomundo! It actually lasted into the 80's as I saw a game between the Sox and their AAA affiliate (the Denver Bears or Zephers) at Mile High in '84 or '85. Darryl Boston was the next Sox phenom at the time. Hopefullly Brian Anderson will have a more prestigious career.:D:

balke
Everytime I'm in Colorado I seem to see a ton of Illinois plates. I don't know if there's any exact correllation, but I grew up a Rocky fan in the NL, Sox in the AL. Its tough to care about Colorado now, but if they ever put a team together, I'll jump back on board. I like Coors, and the Blake Street restaurant where you can eat and watch the game. I was lucky enough to attend the inaugural game of Coors.

mjharrison72
I was also shocked by this. Are other people nationally getting on the bandwagon?
:happybday

skottyj242
06-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I went out to Colorado to vistit a friend from high school a couple of summers ago, there were like seven of us and we went to a game at Coors (which by the way is one of the worst ballparks I have ever been in.) But we all decided to wear Sox hats to show where we were from, you wouldn't believe how many people stopped us and asked if we were from Chicago and told us they were too. We went to a bar before the game and ran into a couple of guys that went to our high school but were like ten years older than us. After the game we went to another bar and when we got carded by the bartender he was from the neighborhood too so we all drank for pretty much nothing that night. My consensus is that alot of kids go to Colorado for college and never come back. I have at least five friends that did that. Why they're all Sox fans is beyond me..but hey, at least they're smart.

alohafri
06-08-2005, 10:58 AM
My brother grew up as a flub fan, then moved to Colorado and lived there for 20 years and was a cub fan and a Rockies fan...he is now living in Chicago (4 yrs.)and I have converted him from the flubs to the Sox. He called last night and said his son (who lives in Colorado with mom-the ex-wife) went to the game last night and was rooting for the Sox!! Although I guess you could say his son is a band-wagoner, I have no problem with that. I just don't want the poor kid to be a flub fan.

---Mrs. Aloha

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2005, 11:01 AM
I think a reasonable explanation is that the Sox don't visit Coors Field all that often (isn't this the first time?), so many of the transplanted Sox fans in the greater Denver area came to games during this series. Denver is a relatively "new" city in the sense that it just became large enough to support an MLB franchise in the last decade, and a great deal of its population growth has taken place in the last 30 years or so. I'd guess there is a tremendous pent-up demand.

Dallas/Fort Worth is a lot like Denver. It too is a "new" metro area where much of the growth has taken place during the last 30-40 years, and many of the people who came here came from the North, East and Midwest. There are plenty of transplanted Sox fans here in Texas (tens of thousands of former Chicago and Illinois residents, I too see lots of Illinois license plates), but the Sox visit Texas once or twice every year because the Rangers are an AL team. So demand doesn't build up like it obviously did in Denver.

The only other "new" cities with National League teams with lots of Midwest transplants that I can think of would be Phoenix, Miami or Atlanta. The Phoenix-area folks get to see the Sox during Spring Training. The Florida fans got to see the Sox when they trained in Sarasota, although it has been some time since then. Were there lots of Sox fans in Miami last year? Have the Sox ever visited Atlanta? We'll also have to see what happens in San Diego. Will this weekend be the first time the Sox have been there?

Back to Denver, I think a percentage might be "bandwagon jumpers," but then again, I thought the Sox still were "under the radar..."

Sxy Mofo
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
I can't speak for everyone out here (except for the WSI Denver-ites). My dad and I are attending every game, and I was born near chicago, so we've been watching the sox forever. Talking to a lot of sox fans (and bear fans at the bar I watch the bears at) there are a LOT of transplanted chicago-ites out here.

I have some friends out here that were born in denver, and they say that "nobody that lives here was actually born here" and I think that's true to some extent. It's a great city to move to. Great climate, mountains, etc. I like the downtown of chicago a lot better, but the climate out here is so much better.

kevingrt
06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
It's just ncie to see the camera able to scan the crowd and find so many Black Sox hats on. It's nice for the people that live in Denver, San Diego, etc. to see their favorite team too. One of the positives of interleague baseball.

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
06-08-2005, 11:17 AM
... we went to a game at Coors (which by the way is one of the worst ballparks I have ever been in.)

WHAT???? I have never heard anyone say anything negative about Coors field, let alone that it is one of the worst ballparks you've ever been in. I think it is a great ballpark. It's beautiful, has great views of the field from everywhere in the park, great views of the mountains, cheap seats, really nice, expensive seats and boxes and everything in between, a decent scoreboard, plenty of good food and beer, fun stuff for the kids, it's in a great neighborhood with a lot to do before or after the game, and on and on. Do you care to elaborate on what there is that is not to like?

Back to the topic at hand, a couple of thoughts.

I think you guys are right that there are a ton of poeple living in Denver and Colorado in general that are Chicago transplants. I know quite a few myself, but they are all Cubs fans.

I also know there are a lot of people who came here from other places to see their Sox play. I saw a Nebraska license plate that said "WHITE SOX" in a parking lot near the stadium yesterday, and on Monday I sat next to a nice guy from Chicago who arranged a business trip to Denver so he could catch the series.

As far as the bandwagon goes, I think that is minimal. You might jump on the bandwagon and start rooting for a team like the Sox, but I have seen a ton of Sox gear at the park the last two nights. I don't see a lot of people deciding to root for the Sox, and then going out and buying a ton of gear, especially in Denver where there is no Sox gear to buy.

Me personally, I grew up in Schaumburg until I was 12, born and bred a Sox fan, and I've stuck with them as I've moved around to Atlanta, Cincinnati, and now Denver.

chisox06
06-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Does anyone wonder, though, if a lot of the Sox fans at the games in Colorado are bandwagon fans so far this year? If so, I say welcome aboard!

As long as they dont come to our park and start the wave....

Max Power
06-08-2005, 11:38 AM
"Go West, young man." People from Chicago have moved west. Manifest destiny and all.
I lived in Boulder some years ago, visit Colorado usually once a year and there are a ton of people from Chicagoland out there. In fact there is a restaurant I frequent in downtown Boulder called Chicago's, which not surprisingly has a ton of pictures of Chicago (even Sox pictures). Colorado is a great place, I would like to move out there someday.
It has definately been cool seeing and hearing all the Sox fans in Denver and other places (really noticed it in Anaheim too). Nice to see that the Yankees and Red Sox and some other team aren't the only ones that have fans in every ballpark.

shoota
06-08-2005, 02:08 PM

It was a surprise to see so many Sox fans in attendance. I even heard a "Let's Go White Sox!" chant at one point. Amazing. And I heard one guy yell out "Let's Go Paulie," so he obviously was familiar enough with the team to know to call him "Paulie" instead of "Paul" or "Konerko."

I think Frater Perdurabo's pent-up demand reasoning why there were so many Sox fans in attendance makes sense. This series is the first opportunity Sox fans living in Colorado had the chance to see the Sox in Colorado.

Sxy Mofo
06-08-2005, 02:29 PM
It was a surprise to see so many Sox fans in attendance. I even heard a "Let's Go White Sox!" chant at one point. Amazing. And I heard one guy yell out "Let's Go Paulie," so he obviously was familiar enough with the team to know to call him "Paulie" instead of "Paul" or "Konerko."

I think Frater Perdurabo's pent-up demand reasoning why there were so many Sox fans in attendance makes sense. This series is the first opportunity Sox fans living in Colorado had the chance to see the Sox in Colorado.

The minimal amount of time the sox will spend in colorado isn't why my pops and I are going to all three games (we'd go to all the games every year if they regularly visited). It is, however, the reason we spent so much on each ticket to get great seats.

One thing I think sox fans living in chicago don't get is how much the sox are actually on national tv compared to many other teams, so fans like myself who can't really spend money on mlb.tv or extra innings, still get to watch games. Generally there's one, or two games a week on wgn, and lately there's been a number on espn. Take memorial day weekend for example: Sunday of memorial day weekend they played texas on wgn. Monday they played the angels on espn and wgn, wednesday they played the angels on espn, and sunday they played the indians on wgn.

elrod
06-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Hmm, there's a very old tradition in America called westward migration. It now translates into westward and southward migration (thanks to air conditioning). Thus, there are many transplants from the Northeast and Midwest living in the South and West. The only exception to this rule is Washington, DC, which draws people from around the country because it's the capital. New York and Boston have attracted a lot of people in recent years (and Chicago too) as urban areas have become hip again among young adults. Lots of college grads across the Midwest move to Chicago or Minny when they finish up at, say, Iowa State. Same with people across New York State, Pennsylvania, New England, New Jersey, etc.: when they finish college at Slippery Rock University in Pennsylvania or Fredonia State in western New York or Middlebury College in Vermont, they follow their fellow hipsters to NYC, DC or Boston. Outside of recent college grads, however, the trend is mostly south and west.

Dibbs
06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
A lot of kids from around here become hippies in college and flock to Colorado for the weed and Dave Matthew's concerts at Red Rocks.

This is the correct answer.

MaggPipes
06-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I made the venture from central Nebraska to Denver yesterday, and there were a ton of White Sox fans there. I sat in dead center field with my white White Sox hat, and there were a ton of sox fans sitting around me. Some I noted traveled from Chicago where as like you all are saying some are just transplanted White Sox fans, and many were like myself out of market fans getting to see our team for once. I am almost exactly the same distance to Denver and KC and I go to games 4 or 5 times a year and they are quite the drives but well worth it. And as a reply to a comment in another thread saying that half of the population of Nebraska are members to this board of white sox fans I will have to tell you Nebraska has a lot more population than you think. I live in a town with 40,000 plus and I don't live in Lincoln or Omaha, so I think it is pretty decent. I have actually met some people on the East coast who thought that as living in Nebraska that A) we wouldn't have indoor plumbing or electricity and B) that the "cowboys and Indians" were still fighting, and they were being serious. The lesson to this whole story is that there are White Sox fans everywhere, and yes, even in Nebraska. :)

nasox
06-09-2005, 12:22 AM

Oh. Speaking from experience?:rolleyes:

CLSoxFan
06-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Well, we're going to see a lot of frontrunners the rest of the year. Expect to see lots of Sox gear in the stands at foreign ballparks the rest of the year. ya know what - who cares? Glad to see the Sox get the exposure. 'Bout time my team had frontrunners .. tired of of being the "good fan." It was nice to be asked the other day if I wore Sox gear before they were winning. I could say "hell yeah." I'm just enjoying the year. Let 'em all jump on the bandwagon - in Colorado, San Diego, Anaheim, wherever.:bandance:

pudge
06-09-2005, 12:44 AM
It makes sense, since the Rockies are bad, Sox fans could get prime seats and you saw clumps of them sitting together. Also, Denver is indeed a popular city to migrate too.

There was actually a big group of Sox fans at the games in Toronto IIRC.

Rocklive99
06-09-2005, 12:49 AM

High altitude huh?

I guess this isn't relevant, but During the offseason, I was at the box office getting tix and thought it was cool when I met a student from a Colorado college doing a project for her photography class and comparing landscapes of the Cell to Coors, so she asked me a bit about the ballpark. I thought it was ubercool to come all the way here to take pics of the park and not even question me on that other smelly park in town

BearSox
06-09-2005, 01:19 AM
A lot of students flock out here to go to school, and families because of good affordable housing in the plains just east of Denver with lots of job opportunities. I'm all the way on the southwestern end of CO in Durango where I finished my schooling after growing up in IL for 20 years. I got a job here after college and lots of Chicago fans here as well however I think that I'm the lone Sox fan...we always fill up the sports bar for Bears games, those who mentioned the hippy migraters are partially correct as well but I don't fall into that category other than liking the band Phish :smile:

PatK
06-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh. Speaking from experience?:rolleyes:

LOL

It seems like everyone I know that has moved to Colorado is a massive stoner/hippie, or they became one when they moved there.

They also developed some kind of strange attitude that no matter where you are from or how much you like it, it sucks compared to Colorado. It's especially funny hearing it from the people I know that complain how they have to work 2 jobs to live where they are at.

I love Colorado, but the attitude of some of the transplants is annoying.

Sxy Mofo
06-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Speaking of Sox fans in colorado... a few WSI guys made the highlight reel on frank thomas homer

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NAS...ex.jsp?c_id=cws

Click on frank thomas homer highlight... after he hits the homer, We're the first fan shot they show.. I'm in the white collared shirt and 3rd Gen Sox fan I'm high fiving on the left.

Ha

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-09-2005, 11:56 AM
My dad grew up in Chicago in the 50's, so I became a White Sox fan even though I lived in Montana -- 13 hours from the Mariners and 18 from the Rockies. Last fall I moved down to Boulder to attend graduate school, and I was really excited when I found out the Sox were coming to town. I even got my dad to fly down here to watch the games. Awesome.

So anyway, I am not a bandwagon jumper. I have been a hard core Sox fan for the last 12 years. There were a lot of people sitting around us who were from Chicago. In fact, I think most of the Sox fans in attendance were quite familiar with the team.

I couldn't have asked for a better series. The only other times I have seen the Sox play (in Seattle), they lost. And when Frank hit the homer, I was standing right behind the Sox dugout. We all went crazy. It was a truly great moment.

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
06-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Hey Rocky,

Did you see Syx's post right above? He and I were sitting right there too. Section 137. Did you make it onto the highlight reel?