PDA

View Full Version : White Sox 35th St Stop on Metra

SoxFan928
06-08-2005, 02:13 AM
Friends and family have been asking me a lot about the possibility of a 35th Street stop on the Metra system within reasonable proximity of the Cell. Now, I am a serious railroad fan in addition to being a White Sox fan, and realizing that a lot of you probably aren't big railroad people, I'm going to cut this down to a bite size chunk. I decided my fellow WSIers are entitled to know too.

According to a few sources of mine who are well informed on Metra topics, the main reason that the 35th St. stop on the Rock Island District won't be put in for a considerable while is because the right of way and track that is currently there is being replaced. That track would be required for a 35th St. stop. They aren't seriously planning to start any construction until 2007, which is when the track replacement will be complete. So until the new tracks have been put down, there simply isn't anywhere to put it.

In Metra's 2005 budget (http://metrarail.com/Budget/Metra_2005_Program_Budget.pdf), a grand total of $1 million is designated for ALL development regarding that station - research, property, and construction being three of the key factors in spending that money.

In the early 1990s, agency engineers studied the structural reliability and safety of 846 bridges and identified 91 that needed to be upgraded. Thirty-five of these bridges are completed and 24 are currently underway as engineers manage the third year of a five-year, $100 million bridge rehabilitation project along Metra’s Rock Island District. The largest structure project currently underway is the replacement of 24 bridges on the Rock Island District Line.

What does that mean? It means that the bridge over 35th St. that the RI runs over is in need of replacement. Metra's plan is to realign the Rock Island district main onto the new bridges which are currently standing and are graded for the new tracks. However, due to the amount of traffic that uses that bridge, it will take a good deal of time to complete that realignment, hence that 2007 estimate.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/tile.ashx?t=4&s=8&x=8954&y=92624&z=16
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/tile.ashx?t=4&s=8&x=8954&y=92623&z=16
(photos from Microsoft Terraserver)
This is a view of 35th Street and where the Rock Island crosses. Where the graded ballast is (but no tracks) is where the tracks will be in 2007. As for the current tracks, I'm not sure what Metra plans to do with them.

I am not 100% sure of these facts as they are not official statistics, but as I said, they are from sources who are well informed on Metra issues.

NWSox
06-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Given all this, is Metra actually considering building a stop there?

SoxFan928
06-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Given all this, is Metra actually considering building a stop there?

From what I have been told, yes, they are taking it into consideration, hence the budgeted money for research and development.

Additional facts: (http://www.fta.dot.gov/library/policy/ns/ns2000/bprofiles.htm)

35th Street Station (also known as the Comiskey Park Station)

Chicago, Illinois

Metra, the commuter rail agency for northeastern Illinois, initiated a review of the relative merits of developing a proposed commuter rail station at 35th Street, located near Comiskey Park in Chicago. The preferred location would allow commuters to transfer to two Chicago Transit Authority rapid transit lines. Metra’s analysis will be released following the completion of a State-funded study being conducted by the Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) of northeastern Illinois. The study will examine the feasibility of improving integration of service and fares of all the transit services provided by the RTA.

ewokpelts
06-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Are the rock island track west or east of the cell? And which station would i go to if i were to come from say, downtown? Northwestern or Randolph?

Gene

mrfourni
06-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Are the rock island track west or east of the cell? And which station would i go to if i were to come from say, downtown? Northwestern or Randolph?

Gene

The Rock Island line is east of the cell. coming from downtown you take the Lasalle street station which is at Lasalle and Van Buren

I really hope this station gets done, I take the Rock Island to and from work everyday, it would be nice to stop off at 35th after work and catch a game

Paxson93
06-08-2005, 09:44 AM
The Southwest Service tracks (out to Orland) run west of Comiskey.... anyone know if there is any chance of adding a stop there in addition to the other improvements they are allegedly going to be making to the line?

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2005, 10:39 AM
The Southwest Service tracks (out to Orland) run west of Comiskey.... anyone know if there is any chance of adding a stop there in addition to the other improvements they are allegedly going to be making to the line?

I thought I had read somewhere that another part of Metra's long-term plans was to move the Southwest Service line (which serves Orland Park, Palos Park, etc., and runs just west of the Cell) onto the Rock Island tracks in the area around 35th Street. Something about wanting those trains to terminate at LaSalle Station instead of Union Station.

Maybe Soxfan928 has an answer on this?

BTW, thanks for the updated (and I believe to be reliable) news, Soxfan928! This is one of the best threads on here!

:supernana: :threadrules: :supernana:

kevingrt
06-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Metra to the Sox game would be awesome. It would be very efficient for many people that live up in the Northern suburbs. I love the idea and thanks for creating the thread SoxFan928. This is very important and popular information for many Sox fans.

SoxFan928
06-08-2005, 12:18 PM
It is my understanding that building a 35th street stop on the SWS line would be yet more of a project, and due to the freight traffic that uses that right-of-way, it would be less practical. BTW, the SWS tracks are the ones directly west (viewable from the access ramps, parking lots, etc) of the park.

IMO, I really don't care how they do it, I just want it, because I ride Metra semi-frequently and would LOVE to be able to take a train to the park.

lostletters
06-09-2005, 01:46 AM
As a regular on the rock island district line I would REALLY appreciate a stop on 35th street. Even if it happens in 2007, I would still like it to happen.

But working on transportation issues for 3 years now, I know these things TAKE TIME.

But it is great when it happens.

I think a Metra stop would increase attendence. If Reinsdorf is pushing for this more power to him, its long due.