PDA

View Full Version : Neal Cotts--Looking good!!!

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2005, 12:10 AM
I think Neal has turned the corner and will be a valuable asset in our bullpen from here on out. He's displaying flat-out gruesome command out there and has seemed to be able to have better control and location in his pitches over the course of his past few outings. He can even give other guys in the pen some rest by pitching multiple innings...a quality that goes unheralded...I think he deserves his own congratulatory thread...

Oh, and whomever started the Friends of Neal Cotts group better let me assist, as I knew of Neal Cotts way before any of you did having attended Illinois State University and saw him pitch as a Redbird. :cool:

ShoelessJoeS
06-08-2005, 12:13 AM
having attended Illinois State University and saw him pitch as a Redbird. :cool:
love to see fellow birds, isnt cotts from belleville originally?

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2005, 12:18 AM
love to see fellow birds, isnt cotts from belleville originally?

Yes, and he attended O'Fallon High School, a mere half-hour-or-so drive from where Mark Buehrle grew up.

I remember seeing him pitch in 2000-2001, and he flat-out dominated. It wasn't unheard of for him to get two starts nearly every week, and he went very deep into the game (usually deep into the 7th or 8th innings). Run support was great for him behind the hitting of guys like Jared Dufault, Mike Saunches, and Ed Tolzien.

When I heard we got him in the Koch deal, I was infinitely ecstatic! I am proud of him big time!!!

ShoelessJoeS
06-08-2005, 12:23 AM
When I heard we got him in the Koch deal, I was infinitely ecstatic! I am proud of him big time!!!
definitely. hes without question the biggest star out of ISU to be employed by a chicago team since doug collins back in the day

elrod
06-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Oh, and whomever started the Friends of Neal Cotts group better let me assist, as I knew of Neal Cotts way before any of you did having attended Illinois State University and saw him pitch as a Redbird. :cool:

Great! Then you are the official Minister of Information.

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-08-2005, 01:01 AM
It's great to see him succeeding in the relief role and contributing at the major league level. I thought he would make a great SP for the Sox, but that's not needed at the time with the current rotation being solid.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2005, 01:03 AM
It's great to see him succeeding in the relief role and contributing at the major league level. I thought he would make a great SP for the Sox, but that's not needed at the time with the current rotation being solid.

I personally think they can approach Cotts much like they did Buehrle, starting him off in the bullpen and getting him into that starter's role in a couple of years if he continually displays lights-out performances (since we've got a solid 1-5 right now, especially).

TheOldRoman
06-08-2005, 02:33 AM
When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought it was from the female perspective. :cool: DJ has been talking for a while now about how handsome Cotts is, and my gf certainly agrees.

As for his pitching, he has been great lately. I hope he keeps progressing and becomes the solid long reliever we need.

kj.hayes
06-08-2005, 07:00 AM
I think Neal has turned the corner and will be a valuable asset in our bullpen from here on out.

Agreed. I wasn't that sold on him a couple of weeks ago, but his past several appearances have been outstanding, and he was clearly instrumental in keeping things under control last night.

Madvora
06-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Another Redbird checking in here. I was there from 1996-2000 and never saw a baseball game. I don't know what I was thinking.

Anyway, I was extremely impressed with Neil last night. He really stepped it up at a time where we were starting to worry about the strength of our bullpen.
That's what makes this a team game.
Keep it up Neil!

MattSharp
06-08-2005, 08:45 AM
I think the best thing that ever happened to Cotts was getting moved to the bullpen. He was just another example of a Sox failed starter, and now maybe he has found his nitch. IIRC Buerhle started in the bullpen and was a pretty decent reliever for a while.

gobears1987
06-08-2005, 09:14 AM
I personally think they can approach Cotts much like they did Buehrle, starting him off in the bullpen and getting him into that starter's role in a couple of years if he continually displays lights-out performances (since we've got a solid 1-5 right now, especially).

don't get me wrong here, but Cotts needs to learn 1 more pitch to be a starter. He has 1 very effective pitch right now and a few lesser effective ones. If he wants to be a starter going 6+ innings he needs to get a larger arsenal. His arsenal is fine for a middle reliever who goes 2 innings. I like Cotts a lot and want to see him succeed. Perhaps Coop or some of the other pitchers on the staff can teach him a nice pitch.

alohafri
06-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I hadn't noticed that NC was pitching better. I can't keep my eyes off his nice booty!

:redface:

.....is it hot in here or is it just me?

--Mrs. Aloha

kevingrt
06-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I bet a lot of women would agree strongly with your topic statement.:D:

CHISOXFAN13
06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
I think Neal has turned the corner and will be a valuable asset in our bullpen from here on out. He's displaying flat-out gruesome command out there and has seemed to be able to have better control and location in his pitches over the course of his past few outings. He can even give other guys in the pen some rest by pitching multiple innings...a quality that goes unheralded...I think he deserves his own congratulatory thread...

Oh, and whomever started the Friends of Neal Cotts group better let me assist, as I knew of Neal Cotts way before any of you did having attended Illinois State University and saw him pitch as a Redbird. :cool:'

Go you Redbirds onto battle...

ShoelessJoeS
06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
don't get me wrong here, but Cotts needs to learn 1 more pitch to be a starter.
i sure hope not, the lefty combo of cotts and marte in the pen is dangerous, as is the righty version of politte and hermy...keep things the way they are and we have one of the sickest pens in the league

Iguana775
06-08-2005, 11:28 AM
I do say, I have been more than impressed with Cotts. He looked like crap last year and started off not so good this year. But man, he has been lights out in pressure situations.

PBRWarrior
06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
I see there is a strong Redbird following here. I have always been high on Cotts due to the fact that I am an alumni. Sometimes I though I might be jaded because I thought he was better then he was performing. This is his break out year. When compaired with fellow ISU alumni Danny Kolb....I think we have the better redbird.

chisox2005
06-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Neal pitched for the independent Quincy Gems (Quincy, IL), I believe during the summers of his ISU days.

DaleJRFan
06-08-2005, 12:22 PM
a dude I went to highschool with was Neal's catcher in college at ISU. Neal was at his bachelor party... didn't talk to him though. I just happened to be there by chance.

I agree 100% that he has really turned it on. Something clicked. He is throwing strikes. He climes the ladder with his fastball and throws the breaking ball for strikes. He has been painting the corners instead of throwing the ball in the hitter's wheelhouse. Lastnight I think he only threw one ball... you don't stike out the side against two different teams because you are lucky. Plus, he made an excellent play on the comebacker to get the rally-ending double play on Sunday. I have been one of his biggest critics and I am really starting to like him...

It's a good think Cotts has emerged. There are a few pitchers in the pen struggling and we need Cotts to be dominant. We've been hearing about him for 4 years... glad he is suceeding.

Randar68
06-08-2005, 01:00 PM

He sure looks like a different pitcher when he works quick and challenges hitters.

Iwritecode
06-08-2005, 01:08 PM
I hadn't noticed that NC was pitching better. I can't keep my eyes off his nice booty!

:redface:

.....is it hot in here or is it just me?

--Mrs. Aloha

I thought (at least according to my wife), Scott and Aaron are the two hottest guys on the team...

OK, this is starting to get :offtopic:

maurice
06-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Cotts + strikes = outs.

For whatever reason, it's extremely difficult for anybody to hit his fastball.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2005, 08:13 PM
a dude I went to highschool with was Neal's catcher in college at ISU. Neal was at his bachelor party... didn't talk to him though. I just happened to be there by chance.

Greg Blaesing?

CLSoxFan
06-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Cotts is the real deal. His stuff is great, and he's learned poise. He's looking more like a veteran. Mostly, he looks confident, and that's a change from last year. I'm thrilled he's the mid-relief guy. Makes the bullpen more dangerous. Shingo is due for a trade or release this season, so Cott's emergence is a big relief (bad pun intended).:tongue:

Foulke You
06-09-2005, 03:24 AM
As a longtime critic of the ability of Neal Cotts to get MLB hitters out, I have to admit, he has looked impressive the last few outings. After expecting the usual Cotts outing of a walk, then a base hit, and then Ozzie coming out and calling for Polite to clean up the mess, it was quite jarring to see Cotts get up there and mow down the hitters for two straight innings! Last year and early this year, I grew tired of watching Cotts try to nibble the corners and throw his breaking pitches way high or way wide. Instead, Neal has been ATTACKING hitters and defying them to hit his fastball which is working wonderfully.

I read in the Sun Times today that Don Cooper had a little heart to heart talk with Cotts recently about throwing strikes and staying ahead of the hitters with his fastball. It may sound like common sense but sometimes, all it takes is a little sound advice for it to finally "click" for a pitcher. Here is hoping that Neal's recent success is not a mirage and that he'll continue this well into the season.

Food for thought: if it turns out that the only thing wrong with Cotts all this time was his RELUCTANCE to throw strikes and not INABLITY to throw strikes...anyone think we grossly underestimated how much that 1st career game where Manuel got him torched in New York effected his mindset as an MLB pitcher? Perhaps it has taken him this long to finally trust his stuff and forget about his past failure.

donkeylips
06-09-2005, 01:29 PM
I don't know if Kolb can really be counted as a Redbird. I read that he only pitched about one year down here and the rest of his time at a junior college after that. I heard Neal Cotts just may have a myspace.com page... shhh.

I see there is a strong Redbird following here. I have always been high on Cotts due to the fact that I am an alumni. Sometimes I though I might be jaded because I thought he was better then he was performing. This is his break out year. When compaired with fellow ISU alumni Danny Kolb....I think we have the better redbird.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2005, 01:37 PM
As a longtime critic of the ability of Neal Cotts to get MLB hitters out, I have to admit, he has looked impressive the last few outings. After expecting the usual Cotts outing of a walk, then a base hit, and then Ozzie coming out and calling for Polite to clean up the mess, it was quite jarring to see Cotts get up there and mow down the hitters for two straight innings! Last year and early this year, I grew tired of watching Cotts try to nibble the corners and throw his breaking pitches way high or way wide. Instead, Neal has been ATTACKING hitters and defying them to hit his fastball which is working wonderfully.

I read in the Sun Times today that Don Cooper had a little heart to heart talk with Cotts recently about throwing strikes and staying ahead of the hitters with his fastball. It may sound like common sense but sometimes, all it takes is a little sound advice for it to finally "click" for a pitcher. Here is hoping that Neal's recent success is not a mirage and that he'll continue this well into the season.

Food for thought: if it turns out that the only thing wrong with Cotts all this time was his RELUCTANCE to throw strikes and not INABLITY to throw strikes...anyone think we grossly underestimated how much that 1st career game where Manuel got him torched in New York effected his mindset as an MLB pitcher? Perhaps it has taken him this long to finally trust his stuff and forget about his past failure.It's easy to read too much into stuff like that. I'm inclined to just see it as a maturation process. Plus, he's getting regular work, which is always good, but particularly so for young pitchers.

DaleJRFan
06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Greg Blaesing?

Ed Piezynski, he is also a catching and hitting instructor with the Sox Training Academy.