PDA

View Full Version : Question for White Sox Historians

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Those of you who have a very lengthy tenure when it comes to watching Sox games, have you seen anyone in a Sox uniform who remotely matches the speed Podsednik gives us? If so, who would you say comes close and why?

ShoelessJoeS
06-08-2005, 12:49 AM
hmmmm 1 dog?

Lip Man 1
06-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Here's a short list:

Luis Aparicio
Jim Landis
Rudy Law
Don Buford
Tommy Agee

Lip

PaulDrake
06-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Minnie Minoso and Jungle Jim Rivera weren't too bad either. A White Sox player led the AL in SB's every year from 1951-1962 except for 1954.

Nellie_Fox
06-08-2005, 01:22 AM
As Hawk said the other day, if they were giving out huge contracts for stealing 100 bases back then, Aparicio would have done it every year.

34 Inch Stick
06-08-2005, 08:30 AM
As far as simple straight line speed I think Willie Harris is as fast or faster than Podsednik.

I cannot remember the centerfielder's name who was our opening day starter about 5 years ago. He had incredible skills but was not a great player. He had great speed as well.

ja1022
06-08-2005, 08:45 AM
I began watching baseball in Aparicio's last year with the Sox. The best I've seen were Rudy Law in '83, and Julio Cruz for about 100 games with the Sox, also in '83.

Baby Fisk
06-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Ron Santo. :angry:

mccombe_35
06-08-2005, 08:50 AM
As far as simple straight line speed I think Willie Harris is as fast or faster than Podsednik.

I cannot remember the centerfielder's name who was our opening day starter about 5 years ago. He had incredible skills but was not a great player. He had great speed as well.

McKay Christianson? I thought the kid was gonna be a player.

Some names that pop into my head are Ray Durham (always thought he could steal more bases), Lance Johnson, & Tim Raines (the 1st couple of years he was on the Sox)

ja1022
06-08-2005, 09:11 AM
As the coffee was kicking in I remembered a guy the Sox traded for in the ugly period of the '80s. Gary Redus in '87. Not much to offer but some speed on the bases. John Cangelosi did a nice job on the bases in '86.

samram
06-08-2005, 09:46 AM

Could be Julio Ramirez.

Chez
06-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Daryl Boston could fly when he first came up. Anyone remember the great Nyls Nyman? He also could really motor.

FredManrique
06-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Daryl Boston could fly when he first came up. Anyone remember the great Nyls Nyman? He also could really motor.

Mike Caruso got to first faster than anyone. Too bad he couldn't really run the other bases well (or hit the ball out of the infield).

Procol Harum
06-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Pure speed--not stealing base ability, that's something different entirely--I'd note several of those already mentioned (including Little Luis, Tommie Agee, Rudy Law, Ray Durham, and the Numero Uno Pooch) and add Al Weis--he was frequently used by Al Lopez and Eddy Stanky as a pinch runner--he could scoot.

I think Durham may have been the fastest of the bunch (another reason why I detested him so much--he managed to do so little with yet another God-given gift), but I don't know as he was any faster than Podsednik--my goodness, that dude can flat pick 'em up and lay 'em down.

FloridaSox
06-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Don't forget Jim Busby in the early 50's...He could steal at will, but was not so hot on getting on base.

Brian26
06-08-2005, 12:26 PM

I remember Chris Nyman (1b around '83).

Chez
06-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I remember Chris Nyman (1b around '83).

I believe Chris was Nyls' [slower] brother.

DannyCaterFan
06-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey! Let's not forget Bee Bee Richards of the early 70's. Although he did not last long, he could really motor. I once saw him score from second base on a sacrafice fly to center field.

ode to veeck
06-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Minnie Minoso could fly on the bases and remember he'd already spent his youth to some degree somewhere else before he was one of the early black players in the league

Ralph Garr, the roadrunner, the only guy on the south side hit men not swinging for the fences at every AB, was pretty decent.

As mentioned, Aparicio was a speed demon too

Before he was on the Sox, our current 1B coach was on track to shatter the SB record in his rookie season, until the strike killed that idea. During PB these days you can still see him checking his wheels and running out grounders when the Sox hitters are up

TornLabrum
06-08-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm glad somebody brought up Jim Busby. I barely remember him (mostly just his name, in fact), but I thought I remembered him as being pretty speedy.

BTW, I also saw that game in which Richard scored from second on the flyball. Amazing! Too bad his hitting ability was closer to Mike Caruso's than to Podsednik's.

mccombe_35
06-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Before he was on the Sox, our current 1B coach was on track to shatter the SB record in his rookie season, until the strike killed that idea. During PB these days you can still see him checking his wheels and running out grounders when the Sox hitters are up

Wow! I love baseball history, but I never knew how many steals Raines had in '81 in so few games. 71 SB in 88 games in incredible! Thanks for the info!

Bisco Stu
06-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Ralph Garr. He was the kind of player that was fun to watch as a kid.

DumpJerry
06-09-2005, 01:01 AM
I was waiting to see "Beep Beep" Ralph "Roadrunner" Garr get a mention.

How about Ron Karkovice?