PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Sell: Iguchi as Rookie of the Year

So.ILSoxFan
06-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Ok, ok, it's a bad show, but I like the format.

Buy or sell Tadahito "clutch" Iguchi as baseball's rookie of the year?

ilsox7
06-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Ok, ok, it's a bad show, but I like the format.

So, now that groceries have taken out the leading contender, buy or sell Tadahito "clutch" Iguchi as baseball's rookie of the year?

It's an AL award and an NL award. Barnes has nothing to do with Tad winning or losing this award.

So.ILSoxFan
06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Oops I'm embarassed, it's been edited...:redface: Well, how bout the AL award?

DVsoxfan
06-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Is Chris Young a rookie ??......If he is my votes for him

Clembasbal
06-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Sell...I hate the fact that he can win because he is a "Rookie" to the MLB not to professional baseball. But I don't think he is the best AL rookie. Gustavo Chacin is the best IMO.

ilsox7
06-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Sell...I hate the fact that he can win because he is a "Rookie" to the MLB not to professional baseball. But I don't think he is the best AL rookie. Gustavo Chacin is the best IMO.

The award designates the best Rookie in the American League of Major League Baseball...not the best Rookie in all of professional baseball.

PAPChiSox729
06-07-2005, 11:21 PM
I would have to go with Chacin in Toronto.. but there is something about him that I don't like. I know one thing, I'm sure Iguchi will make it a very interesting race.

rmusacch
06-07-2005, 11:53 PM

I am pretty sure Young is classified as a rookie.

ShoelessJoeS
06-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Sell...I hate the fact that he can win because he is a "Rookie" to the MLB...
i agree, just like ichiro in 2001. how old is gooch like 30 and hes considered a rookie, thats funny IMO

TaylorStSox
06-08-2005, 12:05 AM
The last Rookie that was playing his first year of "professional ball" was Olerud. In that case, you're all wrong. He's a rookie to the MLB. Just like guys that have been in AA were playing "professional ball" before they were brought up.

SABRSox
06-08-2005, 01:26 AM

He pitched 30 some innings in 2004 for the Rangers. Anything less than 50 qualifies as a Rookie, so yes, he is eligible.

StockdaleForVeep
06-08-2005, 02:50 AM
Age has no meaning, there has been numerous debates on this

A player comin from Japan, other than skill, is no different than a player in the minors, there is a major difference in the transition from Japan or the farm team, so a rookie is a rookie and if iguchi picks up more rbis and gets noticed, he'll get ROY

downstairs
06-08-2005, 08:20 AM
The award designates the best Rookie in the American League of Major League Baseball...not the best Rookie in all of professional baseball.

Yeah, but you have to agree that it lessens the worth of the award.

Dan Bernstien had a good idea (and they may do this in other sports). Have a "newcomer" award and a "rookie" award.

downstairs
06-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Age has no meaning, there has been numerous debates on this

A player comin from Japan, other than skill, is no different than a player in the minors, there is a major difference in the transition from Japan or the farm team, so a rookie is a rookie and if iguchi picks up more rbis and gets noticed, he'll get ROY

I don't know enough about Japanese baseball, but I have to assume its much closer in talent to the MLB rather than our minors. Our minors get the best players picked out of there immediately. 100% of the players there want to be in the MLB.

I have to believe that most Japanese players don't necessarily want to, or aren't thinking of coming to the US.

Clembasbal
06-08-2005, 09:55 AM

I didn't say that chief.

I said I hate the fact that he can win it...not that he can't win it.

I think Chacin will win it anyway at this pace, so there is no worry from my part that Iguchi wins it. If he does win it great, but it will lessen the award for me, not that I respect the award too much anyway. Several players who win it just have their one great season.

StepsInSC
06-08-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't know enough about Japanese baseball, but I have to assume its much closer in talent to the MLB rather than our minors. Our minors get the best players picked out of there immediately. 100% of the players there want to be in the MLB.

I have to believe that most Japanese players don't necessarily want to, or aren't thinking of coming to the US.

It's been said that the talent level is equivalent to an AAAA, if such a league exists.

I fail to understand your point. All Japanese players don't want to come to the MLB...that is true. But we're not judging the Japanese players against the guys in Japan, or against the general talent level in Japan. And by giving them an award entitled "Rookie of the Year", we're not making judgment calls on the level of skill of most professional Japanese players. The players still in Japan have no effect whatsoever on the ROY.

All the award is saying is this: out of all of the players in the MLB who performed regularly for the first time at the MLB level, you were the best in your league. Regardless of age, race, ethnicity, or country of origin.

jhill36
06-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Buy

__________________________________________________ _____________
TWO RUNS WITHOUT A HIT ON MAY 5 against KC:
A walk, a sacrifice bunt, a hit batter, a ground out, a walk, a bases-loaded walk and another bases-loaded walk

A walk, a sacrifice bunt, a hit batter, a ground out, a walk, a bases-loaded walk and another bases-loaded walk

chaerulez
06-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Yeah, but you have to agree that it lessens the worth of the award.

Dan Bernstien had a good idea (and they may do this in other sports). Have a "newcomer" award and a "rookie" award.

I don't think baseball has that many Japanese players come over each season to justify having that kind of award. Iguchi would easily win that for the AL, but I don't think the NL had a professional Japanese player come in this year.

Edit: Cuban defectors also I guess would qualify, but those only come once every couple years also.

StepsInSC
06-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I don't think baseball has that many Japanese players come over each season to justify having that kind of award. Iguchi would easily win that for the AL, but I don't think the NL had a professional Japanese player come in this year.

Nakamura, the Japanese 3rd basemen for the Dodgers comes to mind....not that he's been great.

fquaye149
06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
i agree, just like ichiro in 2001. how old is gooch like 30 and hes considered a rookie, thats funny IMO

As opposed to Podsednik, who was 27 when he won ROTY?

Hi-LARIOUS

StepsInSC
06-08-2005, 11:07 AM
As opposed to Podsednik, who was 27 when he won ROTY?

Hi-LARIOUS

Exactly. The word "rookie" is derived from "recruit". Although we associate it with age, it doesn't have to mean a youth.