PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gonzales

JUribe1989
06-07-2005, 04:46 PM
I thought I would devote a thread to what I feel is a great part of the media in Chicago. I couldn't be happier with the writing and coverage that Sox beat writer Mark Gonzales has given the Sox. I just thought I woudl get your guys thoughts because I feel that with all the negative media things associated with the Sox we should devote some time to the good things that the media does for the Sox. Even if it is in the Cubune. Gonzales has done an excellent job IMO.

SoxFan76
06-07-2005, 05:31 PM
That's his job though. I know nothing about this man personally, but his job is to write about the Sox.

ScottsdaleSoxFan
06-07-2005, 07:07 PM
I just recently moved here for the summer, but from what I have read I really like this guy's style of writing. I always get all of the information that I want and it is fairl unbiased. Shocking that this guy writes for the Cubune.

pudge
06-07-2005, 07:17 PM
I've been pretty pleased as well. Sometimes you can tell he's a newbie, b/c he writes about things we all know or have known for years, but otherwise he's doing a decent job. I'd like to get his take on Steve Phillips comments about Guillen though.

buehrle4cy05
06-07-2005, 08:38 PM
I just hope that Gonzales doesn't get too good and then get poached by the Cubs section of the Cubune.

shoota
06-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I thought I would devote a thread to what I feel is a great part of the media in Chicago. I couldn't be happier with the writing and coverage that Sox beat writer Mark Gonzales has given the Sox. I just thought I woudl get your guys thoughts because I feel that with all the negative media things associated with the Sox we should devote some time to the good things that the media does for the Sox. Even if it is in the Cubune. Gonzales has done an excellent job IMO.

Don't count me as a fan. I was aghast to read one of his front page writings about the previous night's game. He wrote Jon Garland as "John Garland." That's horrible.

I also noticed he is ignorant to the English grammar rules of differentiating between "he" or "him" and "they". <<<<<Moron. Before you think I'm overreacting, realize that he gets paid to write. John Garland? *****.

kevingrt
06-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Don't count me as a fan. I was aghast to read one of his front page writings about the previous night's game. He wrote Jon Garland as "John Garland." That's horrible.

I also noticed he is ignorant to the English grammar rules of differentiating between "he" or "him" and "they". <<<<<Moron. Before you think I'm overreacting, realize that he gets paid to write. John Garland? *****.

That's a cpoy editors job, you cannot blame Mark Gonzales really for that. In the newspaper buisness a story goes through about three people before it sees the press. Unlesss it's a West Coast game then it may only go through one person.

But I agree with the rest of the posters for a rookie this guy is doing a quality job. I hope he sticks with the team for a couple years, he's nice to see on the beat.

SoxyStu
06-08-2005, 12:57 PM

I don't think you're overreacting; I do agree with you. However, newspapers are written at an elementary-school grade reading level and editors play games with words/grammar to save space/money (a pitiful excuse). Since, it is written at about a 4th grade reading level, as that's approximately the customer's average reading level, good writing and good grammar go out the window perpetuating the dumbing down of America.

shoota
06-08-2005, 01:49 PM
That's a cpoy editors job, you cannot blame Mark Gonzales really for that.

I can blame Gonzales for that, as long as I also blame the nameless copyeditors too. They're all at fault. I give Gonzales the majority of the blame because it's his name on the article, and it's such a careless error to spell the name wrong of a player who has been on the Sox for 5 years.

gobears1987
07-11-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't think you're overreacting; I do agree with you. However, newspapers are written at an elementary-school grade reading level and editors play games with words/grammar to save space/money (a pitiful excuse). Since, it is written at about a 4th grade reading level, as that's approximately the customer's average reading level, good writing and good grammar go out the window perpetuating the dumbing down of America.
Thus the reason I read the "Financial Times" in the morning.

ATXBMX
07-11-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't usually do this, but someone has to say it:

:threadsucks