PDA

View Full Version : Besides the White Sox with us as Sox fans, which MLB team has the best/smartest fans?

Viva Medias B's
06-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Of teams whose fans I've encountered, I'd say the Cardinals.

elrod
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Until last year, I'd say the Red Sox. I've never encountered more knowledgeable female baseball fans than Red Sox fans. After last year things are different. There are a lot of bandwagon jumpers who know nothing about the team. But before that, Red Sox fans were a knowledgeable lot. It's also a striking difference between Fenway and Wrigley. Fans at Fenway know intimate details about all the players - on both teams. Fans at Wrigley don't even know there's a game going on.

BigEdWalsh
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
:dunno: There are no other smart fans.
The truth is, judging from All Star voting every year, I'd say that there aren't many anywhere.

Uncle_Patrick
06-07-2005, 10:41 AM
The Cubs. Just ask other Cubs fans.

I just wanted to the first to say it.

Cubbiesuck13
06-07-2005, 10:49 AM
I have to go with Cardinal fans as well. I found many people in Baltimore to know what they are talking about; I would feel sorry for them if I wasn't a SOX fan.

skobabe8
06-07-2005, 11:11 AM
I have to go with Cardinal fans as well. I found many people in Baltimore to know what they are talking about; I would feel sorry for them if I wasn't a SOX fan.

I find myself feeling sorry for alot of teams' fans because they dont know what is what.
I gotta give props to a lady that was sitting behind Converted and I at Jacobs Field last year. She was about 100 years old and there was a pop up in short centerfield and 3 guys were going after it and she yells frantically "SOMEBODY CALL IT!!" I thought it was pretty knowledgeable and funny that she knew enough to say that.

Madvora
06-07-2005, 11:12 AM
I don't know about the Cardinals fans. I had one experience when I went down to Busch Stadium to see the Sox play a few years back and McGwire struck out and injured his back in the first inning. From then on, nobody but Sox fans were paying attention to the game.
Small sample size though. This might not be so accurate.

BaseballTonyght
06-07-2005, 11:59 AM
I've met some pretty knowledgable Angel fans out here in my trips to Angel Stadium. I wouldn't feel comfortable labeling the entire fan base knowledgeable though... there seems to be an abundance of credit card wielding soccer moms in attendance.

mjharrison72
06-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Until last year, I'd say the Red Sox. I've never encountered more knowledgeable female baseball fans than Red Sox fans. After last year things are different. There are a lot of bandwagon jumpers who know nothing about the team. But before that, Red Sox fans were a knowledgeable lot. It's also a striking difference between Fenway and Wrigley. Fans at Fenway know intimate details about all the players - on both teams. Fans at Wrigley don't even know there's a game going on.
My experience with TRUE Red Sox fans was similar... I have met several while in DC, and I can say I have learned a lot about the game from them, and their familiarity with seemingly every aspect of every guy on their team and his past, as well as guys who once played for the Red Sox, always astounded me.

I know their similarity to the Flubs, coupled with the inherent media hype that has surrounded the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry, has been really annoying, but I was really proud to spend last post-season watching nearly every playoff game with real Red Sox fans and watch their dreams come true. It's not something I will soon forget.

PatK
06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd say Cards or Orioles fans.

chaz171
06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I've met some pretty knowledgable Angel fans out here in my trips to Angel Stadium. I wouldn't feel comfortable labeling the entire fan base knowledgeable though... there seems to be an abundance of credit card wielding soccer moms in attendance.

Some of us like credit card wielding soccer moms...

Norberto7
06-07-2005, 01:29 PM
I find myself feeling sorry for alot of teams' fans because they dont know what is what.
I gotta give props to a lady that was sitting behind Converted and I at Jacobs Field last year. She was about 100 years old and there was a pop up in short centerfield and 3 guys were going after it and she yells frantically "SOMEBODY CALL IT!!" I thought it was pretty knowledgeable and funny that she knew enough to say that.

Heck, if I've been around for 100 years, I'd like to think I'd know you'd have to call a fly ball! :D:

AZChiSoxFan
06-07-2005, 05:32 PM
I don't know about the Cardinals fans. I had one experience when I went down to Busch Stadium to see the Sox play a few years back and McGwire struck out and injured his back in the first inning. From then on, nobody but Sox fans were paying attention to the game.
Small sample size though. This might not be so accurate.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew that the overwhelming choice would be Cardinals. I've been to several games at Busch and just haven't found their fans to be all that knowledgable. In one of the games there that I attended, Randy Johnson was pitching and the Cardinal fan sitting next to me had never heard of him.

Baby Fisk
06-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Every team has its share of intelligent fans and moronic fans.

chisoxfan64
06-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I was pretty impressed with Cardinal fans when I caught a game at Busch this year.

Fenway
06-07-2005, 05:40 PM
I was pretty impressed with Cardinal fans when I caught a game at Busch this year.

They wear RED well :smile:

Much as it pains me to say it, the NYY fans that go to the Stadium know the game as well as anyone.

Cleveland also has their hardcore fans

http://www.nacs.net/~georgez/NIGHTGAM.JPG

Mickster
06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
They wear RED well :smile:

Much as it pains me to say it, the NYY fans that go to the Stadium know the game as well as anyone.

Cleveland also has their hardcore fans

http://www.nacs.net/~georgez/NIGHTGAM.JPG

Is that you in the picture, Fenway? :redneck

Fenway
06-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Is that you in the picture, Fenway? :redneck

Anybody would look like that if they sat in front of Adams for an entire game :smile:

Doesn't explain why the person wearing Steelers colors in Cleveland ( dat dangerous )

TomParrish79
06-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Definitely the Cardinals

Fenway
06-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Definitely the Cardinals

They seem nice enough until the organist starts the Budweiser song

MeanFish
06-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the Cardinals talk and instead give a nod to the Atlanta Braves. It just seems like Braves fans understand the game more than most, having been blessed with a GM who also understands the game and having witnessed a team that is almost always balanced through and through.