PDA

View Full Version : White Sox select...

The Spaz
06-07-2005, 07:42 AM
According to Baseball America's final projection the White Sox Select:

15. White Sox: Lance Broadway, rhp, Texas Christian U.
No prospect has shot up the charts more than Broadway in the last three weeks. He was concidered a late supplemental first-rounder until shaking down Tulane, Southern Mississippi, and Stanford in successive starts, allowing one run while striking out 26 in 24 innings. Now Broadway has pitched himself into the middle of the first round, and the White Sox will choose him over two Illinois high school products, Tulane lefthander/outfielder Brian Bogusevic and Carillo.

Fungo
06-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Watching the regionals and seeing this kid pitch, I was very impressed. He has come on late and made a big splash when it counts and against quality opponents. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Sox selected this kid.

soxGirl14
06-07-2005, 08:55 AM
I'll admit I dont know anything about the guy...but if he's smart enough to attend a Texas school... I love him already.

*okay..so im a lil biased towards the State of Texas*

rdivaldi
06-07-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm weary of us going after a guy just because he had 3 great starts. Tools-wise this kid isn't extremely impressive. He throws strikes, has a high 80's/low 90's fastball, and works hard. The scouts will look at his complete body of work (which is still very good), not a quick stretch in May/June. I have a feeling that they will see that he's not worth this high of a pick at #15.

I will resist making a crack about the scholastic integrity of Texas schools...

Fungo
06-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm weary of us going after a guy just because he had 3 great starts. Tools-wise this kid isn't very impressive. The scouts will look at his complete body of work, not a quick stretch in May/June and see that he's not worth this high of a pick.

For the record, Broadway was tied for the NCAA D-I in wins with 12 (15 now if you include post season), including wins against the then numbers 5 & 8 teams in the nation in Rice and Baylor earlier this year in March and April. He's produced the last few years in summer leagues and prior to his arrival at TCU at Dallas Baptist (take that for what it's worth, but a couple no-hitters, which is impressive wherever you are). rdivaldi, I know you like Carillo, but something about him scares me. Thay have been trying since he got to Miami to put some pounds on his frame, but have been unsuccessful. The kid is very strong and squats over 400 lbs., but can't gain a pound. I worry about his durability over the long haul. I hope I'm wrong (only if the Sox select him). He could be the next Pedro Martinez for all I know.

Fungo
06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
teamonebaseball.com projects Townsend to the Sox at 15, another guy many say should be MLB ready towards the end of the year despite his holdout from last year.

15. Wade Townsend (http://teamonebaseball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=3&pr_key=17013), RHP, Rice Uiversity
Could be a late season contributor in a pennant push.

rdivaldi
06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
For the record, Broadway was tied for the NCAA D-I in wins with 12 (15 now if you include post season), including wins against the then numbers 5 & 8 teams in the nation in Rice and Baylor earlier this year in March and April. He's produced the last few years in summer leagues and prior to his arrival at TCU at Dallas Baptist (take that for what it's worth, but a couple no-hitters, which is impressive wherever you are). rdivaldi, I know you like Carillo, but something about him scares me. Thay have been trying since he got to Miami to put some pounds on his frame, but have been unsuccessful. The kid is very strong and squats over 400 lbs., but can't gain a pound. I worry about his durability over the long haul. I hope I'm wrong (only if the Sox select him). He could be the next Pedro Martinez for all I know.

Very true Fungo, Broadway has put together a very good season. But I'm just leary of his physical limitations. At #15 I want a guy with at least one plus pitch, or a young kid who could develop a plus pitch or two.

All you guys are making me paranoid about Carrillo's weight...

:smile:

Randar68
06-07-2005, 10:15 AM
teamonebaseball.com projects Townsend to the Sox at 15, another guy many say should be MLB ready towards the end of the year despite his holdout from last year.

15. Wade Townsend (http://teamonebaseball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=3&pr_key=17013), RHP, Rice Uiversity
Could be a late season contributor in a pennant push.

Tampa has been all over Townsend for the past month and a half. Barring someone falling that shouldn't have, I'd be SHOCKED if they pick anyone other than Wade Townsend.

rdivaldi
06-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Tampa has been all over Townsend for the past month and a half. Barring someone falling that shouldn't have, I'd be SHOCKED if they pick anyone other than Wade Townsend.

It's draft day Randar, what's your prediction for #15?

Randar68
06-07-2005, 10:22 AM
It's draft day Randar, what's your prediction for #15?

Hard to get a read on the Sox this year. I think Carillo is the most polished of the 3 of Broadway, Bogusevic and Carillo, but I'm frankly not enthralled with any of them...

I wish the Sox had all those picks they had last year again. This is a very strong draft IMO in the late first through the second rounds.

Whoever gets Taylor Teagarden is going to get a steal if he last to the supplemental round...

Bogusevic projects better than Broadway or Carillo, but Carillo probably is the best pitcher of the bunch today.

Mickster
06-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Interesting tidbit....

The Twins get 8% of the first 84 players. They have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds (including supplemental picks).

rdivaldi
06-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Hard to get a read on the Sox this year. I think Carillo is the most polished of the 3 of Broadway, Bogusevic and Carillo, but I'm frankly not enthralled with any of them...

I wish the Sox had all those picks they had last year again. This is a very strong draft IMO in the late first through the second rounds.

Whoever gets Taylor Teagarden is going to get a steal if he last to the supplemental round...

Bogusevic projects better than Broadway or Carillo, but Carillo probably is the best pitcher of the bunch today.

MLB.com has us taking Carrillo, but says we might take Bogusevic because of our "lack of left handed pitching". What are they talking about? I don't agree with that in the least, if anything I think we need some more right handed pitching.

Randar68
06-07-2005, 10:40 AM
MLB.com has us taking Carrillo, but says we might take Bogusevic because of our "lack of left handed pitching". What are they talking about? I don't agree with that in the least, if anything I think we need some more right handed pitching.

Isn't that a little old?

If anything, I hope they look at the best player on the board. We have holes everywhere but OF really, and I would not be upset taking RHP or a position player to be honest. I do think LHP is down the list of needs, but everyone needs pitching and good LH'd pitching is a premium, so...

rdivaldi
06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Isn't that a little old?

If anything, I hope they look at the best player on the board. We have holes everywhere but OF really, and I would not be upset taking RHP or a position player to be honest. I do think LHP is down the list of needs, but everyone needs pitching and good LH'd pitching is a premium, so...

Well, the article is listed as having today's date. Maybe they recycled it.

Anyway, I hope we go a little pitching heavy this year, we'll need to replenish the system after we trade away a couple of our better prospects during our World Series drive....

:rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2005, 10:59 AM

As a Texas educator, my reaction to your statement is....

:rolling:

:yup:

:thumbsup:

As for the pick, I really don't know enough, but hope they go for the best player available, regardless of position.

Randar68
06-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Well, the article is listed as having today's date. Maybe they recycled it.

Well, after watching some more video, I think the guy I'd take is Carillo. He's a RH'd Gio. Good athlete, good stuff, competes.

I don't know. Broadway and Bogusevic look a lot more durable and a safer pick, IMO, health-wise, but I don't know that either he or Broadway has the stuff to make it.

One thing I will say, with the Sox scouting presence in south Florida, if they do or don't pick Carillo, I can assure everyone that they've seen him more than enough to make an informed decision.

Fungo
06-07-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm a fan a Texas pitching, which I guess is why I like Broadway. They just seem to be workhorses. Good competition throughout HS, summer leagues and college.

Randar, you are correct, the White Sox scouting down in Florida, particularly south, is stellar.

Also, a quick shout-out to my alma mater, Florida Southern, who won the D-II College World Series over the weekend. Nice job Mocs.

The Spaz
06-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I guess they were right!:D:

CallMeNuts
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
After a vigorous debate, the final tie-breaking vote on who to draft in the first round was cast by . . . Nancy Faust.