PDA

View Full Version : Still have faith in Shingo?

WhosKarkovice?
06-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm a newbie here, but who here still has faith in Shingo?

Granted the guy has given up some nasty HR's the past few weeks... but he also started slow last year, we just had Koch to distract our hatred.

I still have faith in the guy. I dont think he went so many years as "mr. zero" on a fluke... the japanese have some disciplined hitters.
i think he's just having trouble locating this year.

Just want to throw a line out there to see if there's any shingo supporters still. hard for me to turn against the guy after all he did for us last year. I still get willies when he came out to "the gong" in the saturday cubs/sox game at sox park... that ovation... christ.

go sox in 2k5!

So.ILSoxFan
06-07-2005, 01:28 AM
You're not alone...

It's been a hard year to watch for those of us who had so much fun watching him last year. I still have faith though, and tonight was good to see. I really hope he turns it all around and becomes as lights out as before. btw, I do so enjoy that *gong*

ondafarm
06-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I saw the man pitch as a rookie in Japan. He has always started slow and its not until it gets hot and humid that he really becomes unhittable. That's when his breaking stuff really starts breaking. For a couple of years he yo-yo'd: he'd start out fine in ST (Okinawa), then get rocked and be sent down just as the weather broke, then he'd be unhittable and then get called back up. Japan had fewer domes then.

Sad
06-07-2005, 08:46 AM
I don't really have faith in him as our closer right now...

SSN721
06-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I still have faith and him and would like to see him get more work.

Bobbo35
06-07-2005, 09:41 AM
I still have faith and him and would like to see him get more work.

He needs to work on his release point and he will be fine. His stuff is nasty if he is on. Confidence is key too.

infohawk
06-07-2005, 09:54 AM
The good news is that his problems are because he has lost his control as opposed to the league "figuring him out." This is good news because it can be fixed. I think it will be very important for the Sox down the stretch if Shingo can pitch like he did last year. With Politte, Marte, Cotts, Hermanson and an effective Shingo, the Sox could play a lot of 6 and 7-inning games.

If Vizcaino becomes really reliable, look out!

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-07-2005, 10:22 AM
He still needs a bit more work but i still think he can get the job donw if he works on finding the strike zone a little better.

Ol' No. 2
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
At this point you can't put him in critical situations. But situations like last night are ideal. He can work out the bugs and hopefully he'll get his control back. It also seems he's getting predictable. He almost never throws his floater when he's behind in the count, and lately he's ALWAYS behind in the count. If he's not getting his curveball over, that makes it pretty easy on the hitter to just sit on that 88 mph fastball and cream it.

tstrike2000
06-07-2005, 10:55 AM
At this point you can't put him in critical situations. But situations like last night are ideal. He can work out the bugs and hopefully he'll get his control back. It also seems he's getting predictable. He almost never throws his floater when he's behind in the count, and lately he's ALWAYS behind in the count. If he's not getting his curveball over, that makes it pretty easy on the hitter to just sit on that 88 mph fastball and cream it.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The frisbee has been all over the place which makes him pretty much a one pitch pitcher. I've never liked or bought into the term that the league has "figured" someone out. A lot of pitchers have relied on 2 pitches and been successful, even when the other team has a good scouting report on him. Any pitcher will have problems if they cannot get their breaking pitches over, leave them up in the zone, change speeds, or inability to spot the fastball. Shingo's pretty much done a little of all of them which is why he's struggled.

Madvora
06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
First pitch strike is so important with this guy. You know right away if he's "on" of if he's "off" as soon as you see that first pitch.
Let's hope he can get in more work like last night. Large leads feel nice.
This guy was so damn good last year. I would love to have that back.
Last year of his contract too, right? I wonder where he'll end up next year.

kevingrt
06-07-2005, 11:39 AM
First pitch strike is so important with this guy. You know right away if he's "on" of if he's "off" as soon as you see that first pitch.
Last year of his contract too, right? I wonder where he'll end up next year.

You are so right Madvora. If Shingo can throw a first pitch strike he has so much leeway on his next couple pitches and can throw a floater or fastball. He also gains a lot of confidence when he is ahead in the count.

I will not say I have lost all confidence in Shingo, but I did feel safe when he came in the ninth yesterday and the Sox were up 9-3. I wasn't scared there but anytime we are within three I am always afraid of a homer or something to cut the lead.

I feel though Shingo can come back and salvage the season, not as the closer but as a good reliever that pitches in the seventh inning or so and gets a nice one-two-three inning. Shingo will come back and do a quality job, but I hope it is soon. We need him.

Irishsox1
06-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Shingo's change up is still a thing of beauty, its just that he needs better control with his fast ball and he's giving up too many homeruns to leftys.

mjharrison72
06-07-2005, 12:37 PM
I have faith this guy has a lot more history than just last year in the majors... his experience in Japan should indicate his resilience, his ability to keep hitters guessing and make adjustments. I have faith Don Cooper will work with him to keep from getting too predictable... the problem is this first-pitch ball stuff, so I agree that he seems to always be behind in the count.

Shingo has gotten a reputation that he throws a lot of junk, and it seems like a lot of guys are sitting back and waiting for him to throw something straight. The homers this year are a concern... whether he is tipping his pitches or his location is off, this needs to be addressed.

That said, I like Shingo... I think he gives hitters fits, especially hitters who haven't seen his throwing angle or all of his pitches. I think his variance in speed is critical in his effectiveness, and when his location is on, he's without question the deadliest weapon in the Sox Bullpen Arsenal.

balke
06-07-2005, 12:56 PM
If he can give us 2-3 more full inning shutouts, I'll be feeling pretty confident in Mr. Zero. He had a rough start, maybe he's adjusted his pitching.

White Sox Josh
06-07-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm a newbie here, but who here still has faith in Shingo?

Granted the guy has given up some nasty HR's the past few weeks... but he also started slow last year, we just had Koch to distract our hatred.

I still have faith in the guy. I dont think he went so many years as "mr. zero" on a fluke... the japanese have some disciplined hitters.

Just want to throw a line out there to see if there's any shingo supporters still. hard for me to turn against the guy after all he did for us last year. I still get willies when he came out to "the gong" in the saturday cubs/sox game at sox park... that ovation... christ.

go sox in 2k5!Yes i do. He just needs to attack the hitters and stop nibbling so much. Also give him more work.

White Sox Josh
06-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Last year of his contract too, right? I wonder where he'll end up next year.back with the Sox because he isn't a FA until 2009. He will be arb eligable so look for him to make around 2-3 mil again.

White Sox Josh
06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
In fact I consider yesterday a save because at Coors Field a 6 run lead feels like a 3 run lead.

hawkjt
06-07-2005, 01:25 PM
I still have faith that Shingo will ultimately be the closer on this team in Aug and sept. His arm will be fresh and his years of excellance are not a mirage. It will click in mid-summer and he will be an important key to this season.

chaz171
06-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I have for many years been going to church to have faith in the one true god, David Stegman.

SoxFanTillDeath
06-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I agree totally...Shingo will be fine, as will Vizcaino. They both just need regular work, which is the major problem with this team. We are victims of our own success. With our starters being so effective our bullpen does not get enough work, and their effectiveness is greatly diminished. Shingo pitched last night for the first time in over a week. That is way too long between appearances. Same with Jose. If they can get regular work than they will both return to form. The problem then is what happens to the pitcher who is losing their innings so that these two can get regular work? It sounds like it may become a season long cycle, but I guess if that is our biggest problem than we'll be just fine.

chaz171
06-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree totally...Shingo will be fine, as will Vizcaino. They both just need regular work, which is the major problem with this team. We are victims of our own success. With our starters being so effective our bullpen does not get enough work, and their effectiveness is greatly diminished. Shingo pitched last night for the first time in over a week. That is way too long between appearances. Same with Jose. If they can get regular work than they will both return to form. The problem then is what happens to the pitcher who is losing their innings so that these two can get regular work? It sounds like it may become a season long cycle, but I guess if that is our biggest problem than we'll be just fine.

I think the Jury is out on Luis Vizcaino.

Ever looked at his AL career ERA? it's in Jaime Navarro's neighborhood.

DickAllen72
06-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Just want to throw a line out there to see if there's any shingo supporters still. hard for me to turn against the guy after all he did for us last year. I still get willies when he came out to "the gong" in the saturday cubs/sox game at sox park... that ovation...

go sox in 2k5!

Ditto all that! I still have faith in Shingo.

BTW, Welcome aboard!

Falstaff
06-07-2005, 06:00 PM
ya, Shingo will be heating up with the weather. Also, why not have someone like Burly or Hermy mentor Mr Frisbee, put arm around shoulder and tell him "Don't be afraid, of anything. Throw 1st pitch strike then resort to junkball. You da man, bro" Something like that would be helpful to his confidence. Also, didnt he do better with Ben Davis at C?

SOXSINCE'70
06-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Situations like last night (mop up work in a Sox blowout victory)
should help him get his confidence back.Shingo,Vizcaino and Marte
need to get their acts together.The Sox will need their help
sometime during this long season.

Infallible
06-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Shingo's money baby....you can take that to the bank *GONG*!