PDA

View Full Version : *Official*6/6 Garcia Dominates - "Feel Good Post Game Thread"

TheOldRoman
06-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Great game for the Sox. They really needed a win like this after playing so many close games.
My impressions:

Garcia was unbelievable, 22 straight retired after the homer.
Konerko was huge, on base 4 of 5 times
Offense was great, 8 of 9 runs came with 2 outs
In the 6th, Iguchi failed to bunt over Scotty to third with no outs. He gets it done probably 95/100 times. It reminded me just how good he has been this year.
No runs for Shingo!

gosox83
06-06-2005, 11:39 PM
That was the type of win our pitching staff needed. Freddy goes a long way, rather easily and SHingo gets work.

GO SOX:smile: :bandance:

PAPChiSox729
06-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Nice job, Freddy!
:bandance:

peeonwrigley
Freddie ROCKS.

DumpJerry
That felt great!

kj.hayes
06-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Terrific game for Freddy, I think he really needed this one.

I love this team! Go Sox!

chidonez
06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
It's a Southsiders winner!!! That was our #3! Brilliant. :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

faneidde
Marte sucks, Konerko sucks, Frank is whining again, Ozzie is a hothead, and Pierzynski is a clubhouse cancer.

Oh, the Sox won tonight. Nevermind.

ND_Sox_Fan
Huge Freddy - way to save the bullpen.

The Rockies announcers couldn't say enough times that they thought it was the most dominant pitching performance they had ever seen at Coors.

Great start!

Iguana775
Man, Freddy sucks. He gave up a 3 run homer. I wanted to be the first to post something negative. lol

White Sox Josh
Great pitching by Freddy and Shingo. Shingo looked like he was feeling more comfortable out there and looked like he was going after hitters.

chisoxmike
Wow, no heart attacks, no nail bitting, I just sat and watched this one with no worries. Lets find something to complain about!

billnahorodny
06-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Great win all the way around!:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
Even Shingo looked pretty good after the first couple of batters.

PaleHoseGeorge
Wow... so THIS is what it's like to play in the National League...

:cool:

NSSoxFan
Wow, no heart attacks, no nail bitting, I just sat and watched this one with no worries. Lets find something to complain about!

It wouldn't be WSI if we didn't get at least five negative points about tonights game. Let the games begin!

Great job by Freddy tonight. Go Sox

ND_Sox_Fan
06-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Even Shingo looked pretty good after the first couple of batters.

Probably just shows how horrible the Colorado offense is ...

TheOldRoman

Don't get Hangar started.:D:

White Sox Josh
Man, Freddy sucks. He gave up a 3 run homer. I wanted to be the first to post something negative. lolIs that you HomeFish! Longtime No See!

Kogs35
06-06-2005, 11:45 PM
man that was awesome preformance by freddy and a lot of love from the rockie broadcasters. :bandance: :gulp: . that was a great game to watch

dcb33
Great game for the Sox. They really needed a win like this after playing so many close games.
My impressions:

In the 6th, Iguchi failed to bunt over Scotty to third with no outs. He gets it done probably 95/100 times. It reminded me just how good he has been this year.
No runs for Shingo!

And you were worried about a letdown. The Sox sure showed up today!:D:

What a dominating performance by Freddy. After the bullpen was taxed yesterday he came through big time. Time to start a new streak!

Unregistered
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
game lead.

Great win, it feels like this team hasn't had a blowout all season.

Just what the bullpen needed, Freddy was unstoppable after the 1st...

and this win guarantees that the thread will only have about 50 replies. :cool:

nedlug
#1 - 3 guys with no hits... Gooch must be getting tired.

chidonez

The Rockies aren't exactly St. Louis.

elrod
Freddy was absolutely amazing. I have to say, though, that the Rockies are really struggling without Barmes. Also, they have absolutely no plate discipline. In fact, I think this is a perfect series to get Shingo some more regular work. The Rockies will chase anything.

John Barrett
:dinger :dinger

great game!

voodoochile
Someone said in chat that the Colorado announcers said no one had ever retired more than 16 in a row at Coors Field...

Great game, Freddy...

:winner:

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

PeteWard
06-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Well here the Sox are at 19 over again. Can they please get it to 20! How many times have they lost when they were 19 over?

Love the way Konerko and Dye look. If that keeps up the Twins will be bummin'.

NSSoxFan
#1 - 3 guys with no hits... Gooch must be getting tired.

Were you watching the same Sox-Rockies game I was? Pods had two or three hits and Rowand had at least one.

:?:

Huisj
I think you're all overlooking how bad our situation at 2B is. Iguchi looked totally overmatched tonight! Send him down, he's clearly not ready for the big leagues.

FarWestChicago
06-06-2005, 11:47 PM
man that was awesome preformance by freddy and a lot of love from the rockie broadcasters.LOL, they were quite impressed. Of course, jeremyb1 would tell you it's all crap because we gave up two lead pipe lock, first ballot hall of famers for Freddy. :redneck

nedlug
06-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I think you're all overlooking how bad our situation at 2B is. Iguchi looked totally overmatched tonight! Send him down, he's clearly not ready for the big leagues.

Forget sending him down, send him back to Japan!

White Sox Josh
06-06-2005, 11:48 PM
I think the key Shingo is to go after hitters. He should stop nibling and start attacking hitters. Pitch to contact because if he throws strikes the contact won't be that hard. Trust his fielders.

Hendu
This is the type of game we desperately needed. Lots of 2-out hitting and Freddy dominating for 8 innings. Shingo also really needed some work during garbage time.

Probably the most balanced game of the year...hitting and pitching in the same game.

Also, hopefully this will set the tone for the series and JC & El Duque won't be intimidated by Coors' reputation.

Unregistered
Were you watching the same Sox-Rockies game I was? Pods had two or three hits and Rowand had at least one.

:?:
I read that the same way, but I THINK he's saying "Negative post #1: 3 players didn't get a hit."

owensmouth
Probably just shows how horrible the Colorado offense is ...And their pitching staff... (note: no teal)

ChiSoxGirl
06-06-2005, 11:49 PM
GREAT game! Props go out to the Sox Nation showing our team the love out at Coors Field- I heard them all night long on the radio and Rooney commented on them more than once.

Things I loved about tonight's game:

Freddy was awesome, retiring 22 in a row after the 3-run shot. In honor of his dominating performance, he gets some love from the dancing produce! :bandance:
Shingo got some much-needed work...in a non-pressure situation.
Paulie Walnuts got on base in 4 of his 5 plate appearances.
Politte, Hermanson, and Marte got much-needed REST tonight! They were downright spent!
ScottyPo's wheels were in motion, stealing his 31st of the season. What new?!
8 of the team's 9 runs were scored with 2 out.
All in all, a fabulous night to be a Sox fan, not to mention we gained a 1/2 game on the Twins... and oh yeah, the Cubs lost!

Unregistered
06-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Someone said in chat that the Colorado announcers said no one had ever retired more than 16 in a row at Coors Field...

Yep, heard that too - Freddy set a new record.

nedlug
06-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I read that the same way, but I THINK he's saying "Negative post #1: 3 players didn't get a hit."

Ex-actly.

Great win.

Negative post #2: Our bullpen isn't getting used, and they are getting rusty.

TheOldRoman
And you were worried about a letdown. The Sox sure showed up today!:D:
Yep, Im glad I was wrong. TheOldRoman will sleep well tonight.:D:

MRKARNO
9 runs from the offense?

10 K's, 22 in a row retired and 8 innings from Freddy Garcia?

Who could ask for anything more?

You couldnt ask for a better-looking win at Coors Field. One bad sequence of pitches followed by 7 of the most dominant innings that have ever been witnessed at the pitcher's hell known as Coors Field.

gosox83
06-06-2005, 11:51 PM
you want something to complain about...i got something.

All this win means is that we are within one game of 20 games over. You know what that means for tomorrow.......ugghhh

Nice job Sox..

Way to guarantee us a loss for tomorrow.

nedlug
06-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Negative #3: No Thomas, he's going to start complaining now.

Come on, guys, only 2 more!

Oh, the 20 games over must be #4.

Ol' No. 2
Ex-actly.

Great win.

Negative post #2: Our bullpen isn't getting used, and they are getting rusty.#3 What's wrong with Ozzie putting Timo in to PH? These bad managerial decisions will cost this team a playoff spot.

balke
All in all, a fabulous night to be a Sox fan, not to mention we gained a 1/2 game on the Twins... and oh yeah, the Cubs lost!

Careful.... different thread, different section.

ND_Sox_Fan
And their pitching staff... (note: no teal)

Thought I might be a :dtroll:if I didn't use the teal.

elrod
I know we're all happy for Shingo but don't you think he'd benefit from a trip to AAA? Why not bring up Bajenaru, who is lights out in Charlotte, and let Shingo close games for the Knights. He can get regular time out there and get back in his groove. Shingo should not be a mop-up pitcher, the way he has become.

Unregistered
Props go out to the Sox Nation showing our team the love out at Coors Field
No such thing as a White Sox "Nation." We leave that to the "other" Sox. We have the ARMY. :cool:

When Shingo got the last out, the place got REALLY LOUD, though. Must be a lot of Sox fans in Colorado, or just a lot of bandwagon jumpers. :redneck

TheOldRoman

All this win means is that we are within one game of 20 games over. You know what that means for tomorrow.......ugghhh

Nice job Sox..

Oh my lord! It burns!
:tealpolice:
:tealtutor:

CanBuehrleWait
Man 22 in a row... thats just amazing stuff. Good stuff Big guy.

nedlug
06-06-2005, 11:53 PM
#3 What's wrong with Ozzie putting Timo in to PH? These bad managerial decisions will cost this team a playoff spot.

That'll be 5! Ahhh, now I feel better.

Nard
06-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Watched the whole thing on Fox Sports Rocky Mountain.

The announcers were BRIMMING with praise for the Sox. Not only about Freddy's gem, which they said was the best performance in the history of Coors Field (yes better than the no-hitter because Nomo walked 6), but really just praise for the entire team, saying how good they looked.

Great game. :supernana:

balke
06-06-2005, 11:54 PM
I love when we hit the ball and it falls in play, and I love when Shingo gets 3 outs without letting up a run. YAY!

owensmouth
No such thing as a White Sox "Nation." We leave that to the "other" Sox. We have the ARMY. :cool:

When Shingo got the last out, the place got REALLY LOUD, though. Must be a lot of Sox fans in Colorado, or just a lot of bandwagon jumpers. :redneckOr a lot of bored Rox fans

chidonez

When Shingo got the last out, the place got REALLY LOUD, though. Must be a lot of Sox fans in Colorado, or just a lot of bandwagon jumpers. :redneck

Are we really the army? Couldn't we be the mob, or the outfit, or the gang, or something? Army sounds so, er, too disciplined.

spiffie
The amount of heart this team showed today, coming back like this after that game yesterday...awesome. And since I've said some nasty things about his in-game managing, I'll say also that Ozzie showed today that he can get a team ready to go like no one's business. I'd say more but Freddy's performance has me speechless still.

SOXPHILE
06-06-2005, 11:55 PM
This Rockies team is BAAAD. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a sweep here.

shaunburnette
06-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Garcia sure is a good baserunner! :?:

SOX ADDICT '73
06-06-2005, 11:56 PM

Nice job Sox..

How do people not see that this isn't teal? :dunno:

Viva Medias B's
06-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Now that's more like it!

:supernana:

Unregistered
06-06-2005, 11:57 PM
I know we're all happy for Shingo but don't you think he'd benefit from a trip to AAA? Why not bring up Bajenaru, who is lights out in Charlotte, and let Shingo close games for the Knights. He can get regular time out there and get back in his groove. Shingo should not be a mop-up pitcher, the way he has become.As someone pointed out earlier, sending Shingo to pitch against 22 year olds who have never seen his stuff is misleading. If he goes lights out down there, it shows nothing of his ability to get hitters out that are FAMILIAR with his stuff. It just shows that he can pitch 3 outs to a bunch of minor leaguers that have never seen him pitch.

One of the biggest problems Shingo seems to have is with hitters who know what's coming and just sit on his straight 85mph "fastball." (see the Cleveland Indians)

santo=dorf
06-06-2005, 11:58 PM
LOL, they were quite impressed. Of course, jeremyb1 would tell you it's all crap because we gave up two lead pipe lock, first ballot hall of famers for Freddy. :redneck

Jeremy is too busy mourning the release of Gary Glover by the Brewers today. :cool:

Chisox003
Yum. :gulp:

chidonez
"Thanks for the phone call Dennis..." Did you all just here that on ESPN 1000? High-larious drunk caller about the DH.

DickAllen72
06-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Great to finally win by a big margin. I hesitate to call it a laugher, because at Coors field no margin is too large.

Anyway, great to see Shingo finally get a chance to pitch again. Aside from the first batter he walked, he pitched well.

The only thing I didn't like was Timo pinch hitting for Freddy. I thought we were trying to get AB's for Frank. Why not let Frank get an AB there? It just proves what I feared--Timo is going to take AB's away from Carl and Frank.

But the good news is we finally won a game easily! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

SOX ADDICT '73
06-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Are we really the army? Couldn't we be the mob, or the outfit, or the gang, or something? Army sounds so, er, too disciplined.
:churrosarmy:

Unregistered
06-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Are we really the army? Couldn't we be the mob, or the outfit, or the gang, or something? Army sounds so, er, too disciplined.:churrosarmy:

shaunburnette
06-07-2005, 12:00 AM
One of the biggest problems Shingo seems to have is with hitters who know what's coming and just sit on his straight 85mph "fastball." (see the Cleveland Indians)

His bigger problem is his control and him walking batters. A trip to AAA where he regained his confidence and control would seemingly be very beneficial in my opinion.

chidonez
06-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Okay, I mean, yes sir. It's the army. Especially if I can get a sweet camo jersey. I know I've see the hats somewhere.

Ol' No. 2
06-07-2005, 12:02 AM
His bigger problem is his control and him walking batters. A trip to AAA where he regained his confidence and control would seemingly be very beneficial in my opinion.How much confidence is he going to gain mowing down 22 year old AAA hitters? His problem isn't throwing strikes...it's throwing strikes to MAJOR LEAGUE HITTERS.

Vince
06-07-2005, 12:03 AM
According to the AP recap, this is only the 8th time that 2 or fewer hits have been allowed at Coors field.

Simply a dominating pitching performance, and the bats came alive hardcore.

shaunburnette
06-07-2005, 12:03 AM
How much confidence is he going to gain mowing down 22 year old AAA hitters? His problem isn't throwing strikes...it's throwing strikes to MAJOR LEAGUE HITTERS.

Needless to say he is walking at least 1 batter ever time he goes out there. 22 your olds or not, his control problems need to be addressed by work

Norberto7
06-07-2005, 12:04 AM
It wouldn't be WSI if we didn't get at least five negative points about tonights game. Let the games begin!

Great job by Freddy tonight. Go Sox

#6 - Shingo kept getting behind in the count. Five negative points is setting the bar a little low, don't you think? Excelsior!

Today, it just seemed like good things were going to happen. There was a confidence level that hasn't been there in awhile that the job was going to get done, esp. with two outs. No doubt Rocky pitching played a hand in that.

As mentioned, a very fun, comfortable game to watch. How many of those have there been?

ND_Sox_Fan
06-07-2005, 12:05 AM
How much confidence is he going to gain mowing down 22 year old AAA hitters? His problem isn't throwing strikes...it's throwing strikes to MAJOR LEAGUE HITTERS.

He basically got an appearance against AAA hitters tonight (even though he threw against the top of the order); however, I agree that it is a confidence thing. One would think that a guy with his age and experience wouldn't have a confidence problem.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Needless to say he is walking at least 1 batter ever time he goes out there. 22 your olds or not, his control problems need to be addressed by work

He's just not confident in his stuff, which translates into corner picking (in other words, control problem). He has too mcuh movement to pick corners. He just has to be able to go out there and let it fly - let the natural movement get guys out.

Lip Man 1
Incredible performance tonight in a place that rarely sees them. Simply outstanding job.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
Agreed. THIS is the level where he belongs (albeit in mop-up duty until he gets his control and confidence back). When he's locked in, as he was for most of last season, he's practically unhittable. Not too many pitchers out there with a 35-40 mph pitch differential.

DumpJerry
06-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Neither. It was Rockie fans expressing their feelings that the game was finally over!:cool:

batmanZoSo
06-07-2005, 12:12 AM
This offense is really clicking right now the last several games. We always said watch out if we start hitting, well here it is. We might be in for tear city. :o:

kojak
06-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Well here the Sox are at 19 over again. Can they please get it to 20! How many times have they lost when they were 19 over?

Thrice

5/22 vs. Cubs L 4-3
5/26 vs. Angels of Western Hemisphere L 3-2
6/5 vs. Indians L 6-4 in 12 innings

So they have all been veryclose games...

NSSoxFan
06-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Thrice

5/22 vs. Cubs L 4-3
5/26 vs. Angels of Western Hemisphere L 3-2
6/5 vs. Indians L 6-4 in 12 innings

So they have all been veryclose games...

Yes, but it just seems to me that they didn't want to win those games.

ElDuque26
06-07-2005, 12:15 AM
You know you are clickin when you can pound out 15 hits with your best hitter going 0-5...another plus on the fubs...no DLee no win... nice to see the big bats start to wake up...BooYa!

gobears1987
06-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Why are we so happy about Freddy G and the 38-19 start? If we had Olivo, Reed, and Morse we would be 40-17 right now. KW is a moron, and Freddy Garcia won't amount to anything

Nice win by my man Freddy Garcia!!!! Glad I bought the jersey right after he was given that 3 year extension!

SOXPHILE
06-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Why are we so happy about Freddy G and the 38-19 start? If we had Olivo, Reed, and Morse we would be 40-17 right now. KW is a moron, and Freddy Garcia won't amount to anything

Nice win by my man Freddy Garcia!!!! Glad I bought the jersey right after he was given that 3 year extension!

That's a good immitation of Mike North. I remember last year how he was whining about how KW shouldn't have traded Olivo, and Garcia probably isn't a good pick up. :?:

kojak
06-07-2005, 12:27 AM

Yes, but for Godsakes my man, drop it in the washing machine once or twice a year!

tstrike2000
06-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Awesome! Dye, Konerko, Uribe, and Pierzynski to name a few were clutch tonight with all the 2 out damage. Konerko chugs twice around third like the little engine that could to score, Freddy was able to overcome a tough start and put the hammer down, then Shingo finishes it off. All the things we've been wanting to see more of and know this team is capable of doing! Plus the Scrubs lost so I don't have to hear all the bullcrap from my co-workers tomorrow!

balke
06-07-2005, 12:37 AM
That's a good immitation of Mike North. I remember last year how he was whining about how KW shouldn't have traded Olivo, and Garcia probably isn't a good pick up. :?:

You guys are failing to see the point, we could've given them Crede and had Willie Bloomquist at the hot corner... :rolleyes:

mjmcend
06-07-2005, 12:48 AM
The White Sox recorded double figures in hits for the sixth time in seven games

That is another nice nugget from the AP wrap up. Good to see the bats heating up.

TaylorStSox
06-07-2005, 12:50 AM
That was an impressive outing by Garcia. As some of you may know, I'm not the biggest fan of Garcia. I had a feeling he'd get rocked at Coors. I'll gladly be eating BBQ Pulled Crow tonight. :gulp:

Anybody else notice that his slot looked different? He was more 3/4 than over the top. He looked like he was getting alot more movement on his 2 seamer. His change was the best I've seen all year, sans Gagne. The pitch that was hit out of the park wasn't even bad. It was located well. Hawpe just beat him.

On a side note, this is the first time I've seen Colorado all year. Hawpe's got a CANNON! I remember a throw he made to third earlier in the year that was unbelievable as well. He appears to be a talented player.

johnnyg83
06-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Neither. It was Rockie fans expressing their feelings that the game was finally over!:cool:

Perhaps -- but when the Konerko hit his homer and AJ hit his 2-out 2-run double that was one of the loudest Sox-road crowds I've heard in a while.

Props to Garcia, one bloop, one light HBP and one shot = 3 ER, the rest was masterpiece.

Props to AJ too. Finally a catcher who's a clutch threat with his bat. Widger ain't bad this year either.

Great to see Dye and PK pick up some points on their BA -- just for their morale.

SoxSpeed22
06-07-2005, 01:00 AM
My impressions:

No runs for Shingo!
A start for the next 8 NL west games. Garcia was amazing after the 1st. Dominant game all around, let's get 'em tomorrow.:supernana:
:supernana::supernana::supernana:300!:supernana::s upernana::supernana:

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
06-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Hawpe's got a CANNON! I remember a throw he made to third earlier in the year that was unbelievable as well. He appears to be a talented player.

I was waiting for somebody to say this. I know Cora is aggressive, and I like that, but Hawpe made two very good throws prior to nailing Dye (one when Scotty was motoring to a triple and tripped on 2nd), and Cora definitely should've put on the brakes on that one. Hawpe's are was VERY impressive.

I was at the game (and maybe even made it onto Sportscenter sitting very close to where Paulie's HR landed). The Sox offense looked awesome with most of it coming with two outs. Paulie had the WHEELS going tonight.

Freddy was unbelievable. 22 in a ROW! I kept score, and we just kept adding it up, wondering when somebody was going to to do something, but they just never did. (7, then 10, then all of a sudden it's 19, and he just kept shutting them down.) I know it is the Rockies, but it is still great, and especially on a night when our bullpen needed the rest.

Edited to add: I was amazed to see how many Sox fans were out at Coors tonight. (I thought I was the only one out here. I know way too many Wrigley fans, and no Sox fans in Denver.) Sox gear everywhere you looked, both in the stadium and in the streets before the game. The Sox fans were loud and showing support for their team. I had about 3 guys real close to me yelling "HE GAWN" for each of Freddy's 10 Strikeouts.

What a game, and I sat in awesome seats with good company. Nice night at the ballpark.

I'll be there the next 2 nights, and I'm pulling for the sweep. GO SOX!

PicktoCLick72
06-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Nice win today by the Sox. The offense is heating up and Freddy is throwing the ball exceptionally. Hopefully Jose can follow this up with another solid pitching performance. These bats are starting to make this team look dangerous.

Rocklive99
06-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Coors or not, I loved our 2 out production.

Foulke You
06-07-2005, 01:44 AM
I've been very happy with the way Jermaine Dye has looked at the plate too. He is starting to look like the all star we were hoping he'd be when we signed him and that batting avg keeps going up. He is getting comfortable and hitting the ball very hard and more importantly, driving in some big runs for this team.

Freddy Garcia was awesome. Even more impressive than his outing against the Cubs a couple weeks ago. I love watching him pitch. Now we just need to get him as comfortable at Comiskey as he is on the road.

Nice to hear all the White Sox fans in Colorado too!

SoxWillWin
06-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Coors or not, I loved our 2 out production.

Coors doesn't matter for this W, it would've been a W anywhere. Solid hits and only one long one from Konerko. If we hit 3 or 4 dingers that would be a different story.

WhiteSox16K
06-07-2005, 02:04 AM
Great win and easy game to watch. It was very nice not to be bitting off my fingers after every pitch in the later innings and instead being able to sit back, relax, and watch Freddy mow down the Rockies.

JB98
06-07-2005, 02:20 AM
He basically got an appearance against AAA hitters tonight (even though he threw against the top of the order); however, I agree that it is a confidence thing. One would think that a guy with his age and experience wouldn't have a confidence problem.

Helton and Wilson are AAA hitters???? Whoa...:?:

Actually, the Rockies were hitting nearly .280 as a team coming into tonight's game. They were on a 4-game winning streak and hot with the bats. That's what makes Freddy's performance so impressive tonight. He totally stymied a team that has done well over the last week or so. The Rockies did split a four-game set with the Cardinals last week, so they are a threat in their home ballpark. It's on the road where they become pathetic. I was a little worried about tonight's game coming in, but we aren't going to be beaten when we get that type of pitching.

Great two-out hitting from Konerko, Uribe, AJ, Dye and Pods tonight. That's a trend I'd like to see continue. Iguchi had a tough night, but everyone else contributed. Let's back it up with another win tomorrow.

TomParrish79
06-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Great win tonite for the Sox, now hopefully tomorrow we can get over the hump to 20 games over .500

CYGarland20
06-07-2005, 02:58 AM
This Rockies team is BAAAD. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a sweep here. Actually they had a 4 game win streak coming into tonite, and have a record over .500 at home, so you can't underestimate them. But we should be able to win tomorrow w/ JC going against Kim, who has a 7.04 era :o: As for wednesday I'm a little worried about El Duque, and his propensity to pitch UP in the zone, against Francis. Francis is 4-0 w/ an era under 3.00 in Coors field :o: .......Hopefully we can sweep, but for some reason this has eluded us most of the year. :(:

TheOldRoman
06-07-2005, 03:33 AM
Coors doesn't matter for this W, it would've been a W anywhere. Solid hits and only one long one from Konerko. If we hit 3 or 4 dingers that would be a different story.
Exactly. That is another key point of the game. We produced 7 runs without the benefit of a homer. That is great to see. Oh, and...
:tomatoaward

SOXintheBURGH
06-07-2005, 08:35 AM

Great game, Freddy...

:winner:

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Didn't Nomo pitch a no hitter there? Maybe he didn't retire 16 in a row though. Nice job Freddie.

downstairs
06-07-2005, 08:40 AM
This Rockies team is BAAAD. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a sweep here.

I did going into it. There is no reason to lose one game against them.

Luckily (other than two TB games), the Sox have been doing what they never did in the recent past: winning games they absolutely should win.

downstairs
06-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Didn't Nomo pitch a no hitter there? Maybe he didn't retire 16 in a row though. Nice job Freddie.

Yeah, but it wasn't the prettiest thing. 6 walks, I think?

Certainly not 17 in a row at any time...

Cubbiesuck13
06-07-2005, 08:42 AM

He walked a ton of batters. 4 or 6 or something like that.

A. Cavatica
06-07-2005, 09:05 AM
:angry: Revisionist historians...

Garcia could win every game for the rest of his career and it wouldn't make any difference to the final outcome of the trade. We traded for half a season of Garcia in his free agent year, and he was pretty good but made no difference to the outcome of the season.

And yes, I realize the trade gave us a shot to re-sign him. But there's a very good chance he would've come to play for Ozzie anyway.

I cautiously supported the trade at the time, and I have to admit it looks better now (with Olivo's struggles), but I am still withholding judgment until we see how Reed's career unfolds. Reed now has 245 big league at-bats with a .753 OPS, and I still think he's going to be a hell of a player.

Now let's forget about the trade until 2010 and just enjoy Garcia's victories, OK?

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Great day for baseball might i add. Sox Win, Cubs Lose. :wink:
Great preformane. Garcia really surprised me with those 22 retired rockies in a row.

Rocky Soprano
06-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Why didn't the Sox hit more homeruns!

Awesome game! Garcia was just filthy!

Sxy Mofo
06-07-2005, 10:03 AM
My analysis of the night being at coors:

-Frank Thomas hit in BP, but didn't the ball well at all, I don't think he hit one homer. J.D. hit like 4 in a row. I'd really like to have seen frank hit yesterday instead of timo though.

-I was talking to a rockies' usher (who was born and raised in chicago and wore a sox shirt under his rockies garb). He says "this is the first time in all my years here I've ever seen a team come out and stretch as a team. it's always a group. Never the team" I think that says something great about our Sox.

-If I could've drawn up a (realistic) script for exactly how I wanted the game to go, Freddy exceeded it. He did exactly what we needed, which was eat up innings and save the bullpen. He threw one bad pitch the whole night. The only other hit he gave up was a blooper that Uribe nearly caught. Some guy on here yesterday said something about Garcia throwing a no-hitter. I thought it was a stupid suggestion. Turns out, the suggestion wasn't that far off.

-When Pods was coming around second on that gapper he hit... that's my first time watching him run in person. That was the fastest I've ever seen anyone run the bases. He was absolutely flying. The reason he fell was his body was at such an angle his foot slipped.

-Many sox fans in attendance. Good crowd. Many stood and cheered for freddy after the 5th, 6th, 7th, and especially 8th. Everyone knew how important it was for him to eat up innings and pitch well.

StepsInSC
06-07-2005, 10:21 AM
I was watching the Rockies' broadcast on MLB.tv, and I know someone in another thread said the announcers were boring, but I really liked them. Maybe it's because they were just consistently praising the Sox, but I thought they were solid and very informative. For example, I didn't know Pods was a former track star (although I should have know, I 'spose), but they spoke about him for a good five minutes or so.

daveeym
06-07-2005, 10:48 AM

When Shingo got the last out, the place got REALLY LOUD, though. Must be a lot of Sox fans in Colorado, or just a lot of bandwagon jumpers. :redneck Scrub "fans" saw chicago on the schedule and got tickets, then thought it must be some turn back the clock uniforms.

Sxy Mofo
06-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Scrub "fans" saw chicago on the schedule and got tickets, then thought it must be some turn back the clock uniforms.

Like I wrote a few posts ago, there was a lot of sox fans at the game. Knowledgable ones. I'm no bandwagon jumper... can't say the same about the rest of the sox fans there, but many knew what they were talking about. A lot of transplanted chicago-ites.

I also think, much like with the cubs, there's a number of people who grew up in colorado, but didn't have a team, so they followed on wgn.

There was a guy that wore a cubs hat and a payton jersey. So we couldn't really boo the guy, because you can't boo anyone with a payton jersey. However, you can throw a few "cub's suck"s out there though.

Unregistered
06-07-2005, 11:10 AM

Garcia could win every game for the rest of his career and it wouldn't make any difference to the final outcome of the trade. We traded for half a season of Garcia in his free agent year, and he was pretty good but made no difference to the outcome of the season.

And yes, I realize the trade gave us a shot to re-sign him. But there's a very good chance he would've come to play for Ozzie anyway.

I cautiously supported the trade at the time, and I have to admit it looks better now (with Olivo's struggles), but I am still withholding judgment until we see how Reed's career unfolds. Reed now has 245 big league at-bats with a .753 OPS, and I still think he's going to be a hell of a player.
Way to take a giant dump on the game thread. Get over it.
:rolleyes:

fquaye149
06-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Now let's forget about the trade until 2010 and just enjoy Garcia's victories, OK?

No offense, but you are an IDIOT. How in the world could we have resigned him halfway through the season if he WAS NOT ON OUR TEAM.

And before you say we could have waited, Kris Benson resigned early for what 8 million? That pretty much dictated that Freddy would have gone for 10-15 million a year. NOT 9 MILLION. And don't say "we don't know he would have gone for more." The fact is, not a single higher caliber pitcher (Clement, Pavano, Wright, Millwood, Milton[debatably high caliber]) went for less than 7 million a year. Freddy is head and shoulders above all those pitchers and with the Yankees and Red Sox bidding on him, we wouldn't have had much of a chance.

And you know what? Time's starting to show that even if we had only had him for a half a season, it would have been a good trade. Olivo seems to be done and Reed doesn't seem to be adjusting quickly enough that Anderson or Sweeney wouldn't have been able to fill in for him.

Please, ****

Iwritecode
06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
I listened to the game on the radio while changing the oil in my two vehicles. The couple of times I went in the house I found out that it was a good thing I had the radio on.

Did anyone else have some major issues with Comcast last night? The picture and sound kept skipping and freezing up. Made it impossible to watch the game at all.

Ol' No. 2
06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I listened to the game on the radio while changing the oil in my two vehicles. The couple of times I went in the house I found out that it was a good thing I had the radio on.

Did anyone else have some major issues with Comcast last night? The picture and sound kept skipping and freezing up. Made it impossible to watch the game at all.I heard that from a lot of people, but mine was fine, so it can't be the feed from Colorado. It must be with your cable provider.

Iwritecode
06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
I heard that from a lot of people, but mine was fine, so it can't be the feed from Colorado. It must be with your cable provider.

It was doing it on the post-game show and Sportnite as well. I had the same problems when the channel first came on the air during spring training games.

I might have to call them up and see what's going on...

Flight #24
06-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Without actually addressing the trade, to say Garcia didn't make any difference in the outcome of the season is about as much of hindsight as one could possibly have. Remember, at the time of the trade, Frank was healthy and Maggs due back in a couple weeks. It's not like Freddy didn't pitch well enough to make a difference, it's that the team pretty much fell apart due to injury after the deal was made, so you can't use that at all to evaluate the quality of the deal.

Jjav829
06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Did anyone else have some major issues with Comcast last night? The picture and sound kept skipping and freezing up. Made it impossible to watch the game at all.

I had the same thing. I didn't really get to watch the game at all. Thanks a lot Concast. :angry: :angry:

It also did the same thing for me on TNT so I couldn't even watch the Pistons-Heat clearly. :angry: :angry:

Concast sucks. If you're thinking about switching to it.... DON'T!

Hangar18
06-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Freddy Garcia looked Great last nite. I was very happy to see the outcome
last nite, and did everyone notice how loud it got for the SOX everytime they
got a hit? There was a big SOX crowd there for sure.

Sxy Mofo
06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
The two loudest cheers, at least in my section were when freddy left in the 8th, and when shingo closed out the game in the 9th. Paulie's homer was pretty big.

If Frank hasn't hit by the 8th inning tonight, I'm starting a "we want frank" chant.

bobj4400
06-07-2005, 12:40 PM

I think the Sox would win 100-105 games if they played in the NL. That league sucks.

bobj4400
06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
LOL, they were quite impressed. Of course, jeremyb1 would tell you it's all crap because we gave up two lead pipe lock, first ballot hall of famers for Freddy. :redneck

oh yeah, that olivo guy that is hitting .350 this year while playing stellar defense and calling amazing games, right??

White Sox Josh
06-07-2005, 12:44 PM
He basically got an appearance against AAA hitters tonight (even though he threw against the top of the order); however, I agree that it is a confidence thing. One would think that a guy with his age and experience wouldn't have a confidence problem.You call Todd Helton(Future HOF) and Preston Wilson AAA hitters?

Sxy Mofo
06-07-2005, 12:44 PM
oh yeah, that olivo guy that is hitting .350 this year while playing stellar defense and calling amazing games, right??

can't believe we're stuck with that clubhouse cancer A.J. ... .......

PaleHoseGeorge
06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
can't believe we're stuck with that clubhouse cancer A.J. ... .......

I wonder what jeremyb1's girlfriend thinks about Olivo. She offered a lot of insights about Shingo's gong, I recall.

:roflmao:

BeviBall!
06-07-2005, 12:49 PM
You call Todd Helton(Future HOF) and Preston Wilson AAA hitters?

Not to mention they average 6.5 runs a game at home and were on a 4-game winning streak.

balke
06-07-2005, 12:54 PM

It sucks because of Posters like Jeremyb1 we have to resort to bashing Olivo. I think a lot of people thought he not only WAS doing great for the Sox, but that he would also continue to do well in his career. No trade backs, but I kinda feel bad for the guy, like that trade was responsible for his decline or something. He was such a spark out of the 9 spot for the Sox with that great power lineup.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Like I wrote a few posts ago, there was a lot of sox fans at the game. Knowledgable ones. I'm no bandwagon jumper... can't say the same about the rest of the sox fans there, but many knew what they were talking about. A lot of transplanted chicago-ites.

I also think, much like with the cubs, there's a number of people who grew up in colorado, but didn't have a team, so they followed on wgn.

There was a guy that wore a cubs hat and a payton jersey. So we couldn't really boo the guy, because you can't boo anyone with a payton jersey. However, you can throw a few "cub's suck"s out there though.

There were a lot of Sox fans around me in left. My dad and girlfriend were with me, also Sox fans (my dad since the Go Go days). A Cubs fan was sitting behind us, and he kept saying that he supported the Sox unless they were playing the Cubs. He was asking some questions about Pods, and showed he wasn't all that knowledgeable. And of course he was drunk.

Walking out after the game, I saw more Sox apparel than anything else. It was awesome.

TheOldRoman
06-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Freddy Garcia looked Great last nite. I was very happy to see the outcome
last nite, and did everyone notice how loud it got for the SOX everytime they
got a hit? There was a big SOX crowd there for sure.
:knue
"NOOOOO! Dont listen to Hangar, he lies! Only the wonderful loyal Cub fans make roadtrips and drown out home fans. Here is the first line of my article tomorrow: "The White Sox played in front of a half full Coors Field. This is nothing new, considering the White Sox are the worst road draw in baseball. Their home fans wont pay to see them, let alone other fans. There was a problem with the PA system the whole game. After every Sox hit or Garcia strikeout, the PA system accidentally piped in loud applause. This upset the crowd, which seemingly had zero White Sox fans in it. In other new, William Ligue was spotted in Orland Park yesterday at Kosner Liquors and then at the BP gas station on 143rd and LaGrange. As you know, William Ligue and his son ran onto the field and beat up Royals first base coach Tom Gamboa in 2002."

Sxy Mofo
06-07-2005, 02:13 PM
There were a lot of Sox fans around me in left. My dad and girlfriend were with me, also Sox fans (my dad since the Go Go days). A Cubs fan was sitting behind us, and he kept saying that he supported the Sox unless they were playing the Cubs. He was asking some questions about Pods, and showed he wasn't all that knowledgeable. And of course he was drunk.

Walking out after the game, I saw more Sox apparel than anything else. It was awesome.

Same here. People sharing high fives and what not. I'm starting a "we want frank" chant if he hasn't hit by the eigth inning. You with me?

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Hey Rocky, I was in the left field pavilion, on the rail right behind the handicap seating, 1 section over from the foul pole. It was definitely mostly Sox fans out there. Great seats too, I had never sat in the pavilion before, and I've always wanted to. I saw myself for about two seconds on SportsCenter about 5 guys to the right of where Paulies homer landed.

DaleJRFan
06-07-2005, 03:42 PM
You call Todd Helton(Future HOF) and Preston Wilson AAA hitters?

They sure as hell looked like AAA hitters. I am fairly certain that can be attributed to Freddy's amazing performance. He would have made the best hitters look foolish at the dish with his goods lastnight.

Sxy Mofo
06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
They sure as hell looked like AAA hitters. I am fairly certain that can be attributed to Freddy's amazing performance. He would have made the best hitters look foolish at the dish with his goods lastnight.

Helton took some HORRIBLE 2 strike swings yesterday. Along with the rest of the rox

DaleJRFan
06-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Helton took some HORRIBLE 2 strike swings yesterday. Along with the rest of the rox

I wonder what he'd do in a 'normal' park... Is there a web site that gives his road/home splits?? I'd be intersted in seeing if he maintains a 660 SLG% throughout his career away from Coors. I really hope the Sox don't deal for him and his mamoth contract so he can come down to earth at USCF..

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Same here. People sharing high fives and what not. I'm starting a "we want frank" chant if he hasn't hit by the eigth inning. You with me?

Sure, I'm in. I'd be a bit surprised (pleasantly so) if Contreras lasts as long as Freddy, so there will probably be more opportunity for him to pinch hit.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-07-2005, 04:12 PM
I wonder what he'd do in a 'normal' park... Is there a web site that gives his road/home splits?? I'd be intersted in seeing if he maintains a 660 SLG% throughout his career away from Coors.

ESPN does a decent job of displaying stats for individuals and teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5870

If you look at Helton's 3-year splits, you'll see that there is a large difference between home and away, though perhaps not as much as you would expect. He has hit .380 at home, .310 away for the last three years. There are other players who don't play half of their games in Coors who have almost that large of a disparity.

The power numbers are where Helton seems to have the biggest difference. He hits about half as many HR on the road, and slightly fewer doubles. Perhaps some routine fly balls are leaving the park at Coors, increasing his average and HR total.

mealfred13
06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that was the best game we've played all season. Lights-out pitching and huge clutch hits all day long. But what's even MORE amazing is that this thread is now 7 pages long and we didn't even lose!

DaleJRFan
06-07-2005, 04:25 PM
ESPN does a decent job of displaying stats for individuals and teams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5870

If you look at Helton's 3-year splits, you'll see that there is a large difference between home and away, though perhaps not as much as you would expect. He has hit .380 at home, .310 away for the last three years. There are other players who don't play half of their games in Coors who have almost that large of a disparity.

The power numbers are where Helton seems to have the biggest difference. He hits about half as many HR on the road, and slightly fewer doubles. Perhaps some routine fly balls are leaving the park at Coors, increasing his average and HR total.

Thanks for the link, man.

WOW... over the past 3 years, 180 point swing in SLG (699 home to 517 away). 60 point swing in OBP (482 to 422). 70 point swing in AVG. 29 Less homers, 72 less RBI. BUT... he's still HoF material with his away numbers. I'd take those numbers any day of the week.... Konerko, Gio and Sweeney for Marcos Carvajal, Todd Helton and $$$.

FarWestChicago
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Way to take a giant dump on the game thread. Get over it.
:rolleyes:No offense, but you are an IDIOT. How in the world could we have resigned him halfway through the season if he WAS NOT ON OUR TEAM.Truly one of the most pathetic FOBB posts of all time. My gawd. :rolleyes:

balke
06-07-2005, 10:47 PM
(3) Remind everyone that we traded players for half a season of Garcia, with no guarantee that we'd be able to re-sign him, and that we didn't make the playoffs. So his brilliant performance last night doesn't affect the ultimate evaluation of the trade.

</flame>

Garcia is like best friends with Ozzie, and moved to a team who obviously was getting him to sign him. Noone is guaranteed to sign, he wasn't guaranteed to sign in the offseason if not traded for either, no pitcher was.

Also, I wouldn't really call JeremyB1's arguments "coherent" or intelligent. They were more like desperate, frantic, and pessimistic. Reed failed to be a #2 this year for the Mariners. Our 2Bman is a better #2, and there's a lot better RFers out there right now at least batting wise. He's great with the glove, but what good is a great glove on an outfielder with no bat? It would be a better argument if he was batting .260-.280 and stealing bases, but it doesn't look like he can do that on the major league level.