PDA

View Full Version : My idea: Chone Figgins to Sox?

DickAllen72
06-06-2005, 06:10 PM
I don't want the Sox to trade Carl or Frank. Frank should retire in a White Sox uniform, and Carl is a valuable member of this year's team, not only because he is a quality bat, switch hitter, and can play outfield when Pods, Dye or Rowand need a day off, but also because he seems to have become the clubhouse leader and a big part of the positive team chemistry.

However, if the recent talk of a trade of either Carl or Frank to the Angels (who desperately need a DH) is true, the one guy I'd like to see the Sox get is Chone Figgins.

Figgins would fit in quite nicely with the White Sox. He has great speed, is a switch hitter and can play almost any position. He can play at 3B for Crede, can play 2B when Iguchi needs a day off, can play all outfield positions better than Timo can, and can even play some SS, probably better than Willie or Pablo.

Again, I hope the Sox keep Carl AND Frank. But if the trade to the Angel's comes off, Figgins should be the guy we get in return.

balke
06-06-2005, 06:34 PM
It would be weird trading someone. Everyone on the team has played hard, and been key in one game or the other. Figgins is great, but I was hoping to just have Carl be in a pinch hitter role for the playoffs or something this season. Figgins is obviously more valuable, but the reaction to a trade on this winning team would be met with a lot of awkwardness.

Mr. White Sox
06-06-2005, 06:36 PM
I have a feeling it would have to be frank or carl + prospects for figgins; he is more valuable. And good prospects at that.

samram
06-06-2005, 06:59 PM
How long before this appears in some writer's column as a "rumor"?

Why would LAA want to give up their lead-off hitter who has a great future for an expensive player in his mid-30s coming off a pretty serious injury?

wsoxfan
06-06-2005, 07:23 PM
let's not waste a thread on something that is baseless and will never happen...

White Sox Josh
06-06-2005, 07:33 PM
During the winter I was in support of a trade like this happening and this was before the Randy Johnson talks had begun.

Angels Get:
Neal Cotts
Paul Konerko

White Sox Get:
Chone Figgins
David Eckstein

TheOldRoman
06-06-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't want the Sox to trade Carl or Frank. Frank should retire in a White Sox uniform, and Carl is a valuable member of this year's team, not only because he is a quality bat, switch hitter, and can play outfield when Pods, Dye or Rowand need a day off, but also because he seems to have become the clubhouse leader and a big part of the positive team chemistry.

However, if the recent talk of a trade of either Carl or Frank to the Angels (who desperately need a DH) is true, the one guy I'd like to see the Sox get is Chone Figgins.

Figgins would fit in quite nicely with the White Sox. He has great speed, is a switch hitter and can play almost any position. He can play at 3B for Crede, can play 2B when Iguchi needs a day off, can play all outfield positions better than Timo can, and can even play some SS, probably better than Willie or Pablo.

Again, I hope the Sox keep Carl AND Frank. But if the trade to the Angel's comes off, Figgins should be the guy we get in return.
There is no recent trade talk. Some moron from the Scumtimes wrote "hey, the Sox are the best team in baseball, they dont need Frank. Trade him." He then theorized that the Angels would be a likely fit for Frank. Frank isnt going anywhere, and there is no way the Angels would think of trading Figgins.

Kevin
06-06-2005, 07:54 PM
How about Carl, Willie and a B- prospect for Figgins and Donnelly or Shields? The Angels have room to deal some of the people in the pen and have one home run out of the DH position all year.

DickAllen72
06-06-2005, 07:57 PM
It would be weird trading someone. Everyone on the team has played hard, and been key in one game or the other. Figgins is great, but I was hoping to just have Carl be in a pinch hitter role for the playoffs or something this season. Figgins is obviously more valuable, but the reaction to a trade on this winning team would be met with a lot of awkwardness.

I agree with you. I don't want the Sox to trade Carl or Frank.

It's funny the rumor about possibly trading Frank or Carl to the Angels was "reported" by Joe Cowley, while other reporters quoted Ozzie as saying he doesn't want to trade anybody.

Both Frank and Carl fit here and there should be no trouble getting both of them enough AB's. My only point was if either were to be traded to the Angels, I would want it to be for Figgins because he can play anywhere and is a threat on the basepaths, which are the main shortcomings of Frank & Carl.

ShoelessJoeS
06-06-2005, 07:59 PM
i completely agree, everyone has contributed somehow or another albeit with their bats or glovework in the field. figgins is great but i cant see where hed fit in in our lineup, pods is leadoff and gooch is 2, where would figgins even go, 8th?

Chisox003
06-06-2005, 08:00 PM
How about Carl, Willie and a B- prospect for Figgins and Donnelly or Shields? The Angels have room to deal some of the people in the pen and have one home run out of the DH position all year.

:o:

Yikes! That might have been the worst trade offer posted since the "Shingo for Derek Lee" scandal...

Escape while you still can, Kev

Chone Figgins is going nowhere...So fo'get ab'ot it

DickAllen72
06-06-2005, 08:00 PM
How long before this appears in some writer's column as a "rumor"?

LOL! I have to admit, that thought crossed my mind after I posted this.
:)

DickAllen72
06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Why would LAA want to give up their lead-off hitter who has a great future for an expensive player in his mid-30s coming off a pretty serious injury?

We could throw in Timo to sweeten the deal.

RedPinStripes
06-06-2005, 08:19 PM

For every reason you gave for Figgins fitting on the Sox is the same reason why Anehiem, California, LA or whatever the hell their name is these days wants him. Not too many guys out there like him. He's not great with a glove, but he can play anywhere . I doubt they'd want to get rid of him since they're not doing too bad and still holding their own with Vlad out.

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2005, 08:40 PM
For the people who are making their fantasy trades "How bout this sox player and this player and prospect for this" how about this

My trade is :NOBODY FOR NOBODY AND NO DRAFT PICK

The team is bloody fine as it is.

DickAllen72
06-06-2005, 10:49 PM
For every reason you gave for Figgins fitting on the Sox is the same reason why Anehiem, California, LA or whatever the hell their name is these days wants him. Not too many guys out there like him. He's not great with a glove, but he can play anywhere . I doubt they'd want to get rid of him since they're not doing too bad and still holding their own with Vlad out.

Good. Then they can't have Frank or Carl either. See them in the playoffs!

Unregistered
06-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Sure, I'll take him, but I'm calling him "Chone" and pronouncing it exactly as it's spelled. Sounds like some kind of robot or something. :cool:

Flight #24
06-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Am I the only guy who thinks that while Figgins is a good player, he's actually not a great fit for this team? Defensively, sure he's versatile and could replace Crede. But offensively isn't he basically Podsednik or Iguchi? On a team which isn't exactly overflowing with power bats, we're going to deal one to get "lighter" but faster?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It might be an overall upgrade to trade a bench/platoon player for a guy who'll hit for a higher avg than Crede, but I've got to believe there are better options out there to replace Joe with similar power.

Tekijawa
06-07-2005, 09:48 AM
I'll just type it so no one else has to... Why not trade Carl, Willie Harris, and Joe Borchard for Vlad and Figgens?

SOXSINCE'70
06-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Sure, I'll take him, but I'm calling him "Chone" and pronouncing it exactly as it's spelled. Sounds like some kind of robot or something. :cool:

I pronounce the name "Ch-One".:D: :D:

MIgrenade
06-07-2005, 07:19 PM

I understand this sentiment and agree with you to some extent, but in order to win a championship, teams have to upgrade. Just because you are attached to some of these guys does not mean they should not be traded if it benefits the team. In this situation, maybe there is no deffinite upgrade especially since we don't know if some power hitters can still hit. But if there is one you can't pass it up because it "feels weird" to trade a guy.