PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Frank should play some First Base?

Ventura Fan 23
06-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I really do think he should. Here are my reasons:

1.) He would be an unstoppable beast hitting in Coors
2.) He always hits alot better when playing on the field
3.) In order to keep him fresh, he needs at-bats.

I realize it's a risk, because playing the field is how he got his injury, but if he is healthy enough to do it, then it's worth it. However, if his ankle will not support playing first base, perhaps he should pinch hit a few times or something.

DaleJRFan
06-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Considering how he broke his foot, I don't want him anywhere near the field unless he is batting. So, NO!

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Considering how he broke his foot, I don't want him anywhere near the field unless he is batting. So, NO!

Agreed. His bat is too valuable for the rest of the year to be risked playing the field for the sake of hoping to score a few more runs during six National League games. Limit him to pinch hitting duties in Colorado and San Diego, then given him the vast majority of the starts at DH for the rest of the season.

The only time Frank should play first base for the White Sox for the remainder of 2005 is in Games 3, 4 and 5 of the "Interstate 55" World Series in Busch Stadium.... (no deeppink....)

:supernana:

dcb33
06-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Agreed. His bat is too valuable for the rest of the year to be risked playing the field for the sake of hoping to score a few more runs during six National League games. Limit him to pinch hitting duties in Colorado and San Diego, then given him the vast majority of the starts at DH for the rest of the season.

The only time Frank should play first base for the White Sox for the remainder of 2005 is in Games 3, 4 and 5 of the "Interstate 55" World Series in Busch Stadium.... (no deeppink....)

:supernana:

Don't you mean Frank will be playing in only games 3 and 4? There will be no need for a game 5.:rolleyes:

samram
06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Well, I voted yes because I think he can do it at some point this year, but he shouldn't do it this week.

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Don't you mean Frank will be playing in only games 3 and 4? There will be no need for a game 5.:rolleyes:

The Sox will throw games four and five in St. Louis in order to win game six at home.

:)

White Sox Josh
06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Well Iguchi does have very good range so why don't the Sox do this: Put Frank at 1st base however tell him not to make any tough plays(he made a leaping catch when he got injured), have iguchi take the plays that Thomas has to move sideways a lot, and make sure he doesn't leap or dive. This is what Tony Larussa did with Pujols when he was injured and it was career threatning.

Baby Fisk
06-06-2005, 06:04 PM
No! His fielding days are behind him.

Ventura Fan 23
06-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Well Iguchi does have very good range so why don't the Sox do this: Put Frank at 1st base however tell him not to make any tough plays(he made a leaping catch when he got injured), have iguchi take the plays that Thomas has to move sideways a lot, and make sure he doesn't leap or dive. This is what Tony Larussa did with Pujols when he was injured and it was career threatning.
Good Idea, but you know who has even better range than Iguchi? Harris does, and I think that Ozzie should have Willie play second, and have Big Frank play first.

kevingrt
06-06-2005, 06:06 PM

That's as simple and right as anyone has put it.

DumpJerry
06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
No. No. No. No. No. It's not just the ankle. It's the fact that his arm muscles are so big, he can't throw to second to get the force. This was true before the ankle and since he does not seem to be anorexic, it's still true. He is like Edgar Martinez: a Designated Hitter in every sense of the term.

PAPChiSox729
06-06-2005, 06:43 PM
No. I know his hitting will be probably an upgrade over anyone we put at 1st for interleague play, but seeing him re-injure his ankle would be incredible damaging to both Frank and the Sox. Besides that, he can be pretty bad out in the field anyways. I would rather have Konerko play in interleague and try to find his stroke rather than Frank risking another injury.

RKMeibalane
06-06-2005, 06:43 PM
As a fan of Frank Thomas, I would like to see the big man play every day, as it gives him more opportunties to wreack havoc on the rest of Major League Baseball. As a fan of the Chicago White Sox, however, I think it is best if Frank's time in the field were limited, or even eliminated completely. Frank Thomas is still this team's best hitter, and so, he is too valuable to risk losing for an extended time period, because he played a few games at first base.

If this were the World Series, I would have no problem with Frank being out there. When championships are on the line, one can't afford to be worried about next year. However, until the Sox find themselves at Busch Stadium this October, Frank must remain in the DH role. As he proved yet again yesterday, his presence in the lineup is absolutely essential to the success of this team.

pmck003
06-06-2005, 06:49 PM
If Thomas said he felt his ankle was 100% like it used to be, I'd maybe say yes. That, joined with the hip problem he ran into; it seems like too much of a risk.

brewcrew/chisox
06-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, I voted yes because I've been in Ecuador for the past week and a half and have yet to see him in a game. I'm selfish, I know, but after being eaten by bugs in the jungle and dodging monkeys and black caiman for a few days, i need a little Big Hurt: I need my Frank fix right now. Seeing the highlights of him hitting that homerun yesterday only wetted my appetite.

That being said, PK is batting over .600 against Kennedy (tonight's starting pitcher), so I guess Ozzie should start him tonight (I guess that's a done deal from what I hear anyway).

By the way, I saw two Sox (no brewcrew) hats worn by Ecuadorians on my trip, one worn at a street celebration after Ecuador thrashed Argentina 2-0 at a World Cup Qualifying match this past Sat.

GO SOX!

White Sox Josh
06-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Good Idea, but you know who has even better range than Iguchi? Harris does, and I think that Ozzie should have Willie play second, and have Big Frank play first.good idea, than put Iguchi at short and Uribe at third. Iguchi said he could play SS if needed. That would be perfect.

Jjav829
06-06-2005, 08:35 PM
In general, no. But, I can see one possible solution to get Frank come playing time. It's not the most conventional idea, but it's an option for Ozzie. Start Frank at 1B. Since we're on the road, he's going to hit in the top of the 1st. Depending on how the Sox hit, he could possibly bat again as soon as the 3rd inning. At that point Konerko could replace him for the rest of the game. I know the downsides so don't explain them. Like I said, it's not the most conventional idea. It would mean putting Konerko in during the middle of the game and we would lose a pinch-hitting option late in the game. But it's not like Frank is the best pinch-hitter.

I'm not saying Ozzie should do this every game. But once, maybe twice, it's a good way to get Frank multiple at-bats without him having to play the field for long.

samram
06-06-2005, 08:39 PM
good idea, than put Iguchi at short and Uribe at third. Iguchi said he could play SS if needed. That would be perfect.

No, it wouldn't be perfect because, from what I've heard, Iguchi can't make the throw from SS.

White Sox Josh
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
No, it wouldn't be perfect because, from what I've heard, Iguchi can't make the throw from SS.he can but it would be in the dirt. I remember him saying that if it was needed he would play short but not on a regular basis. Frank's pretty good at smothering the balls in the dirt.

ShoelessJoeS
06-06-2005, 09:22 PM
i think it would be a bad idea considering frank seems to be injury prone while playing first base

TaylorStSox
06-07-2005, 12:54 AM
No, it wouldn't be perfect because, from what I've heard, Iguchi can't make the throw from SS.

From what I've SEEN Iguchi can't make that throw. He has one of the weaker throwing arms I've seen. He's still got a good glove and decent range though.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM

I love Frank - but his bat, not his glove, is what we need in 2 months. Getting him AB's in Colorado is more of feeding ego than producing.

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
06-07-2005, 05:16 PM
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

1) Obviously, we don't need Frank getting hurt out there.
2) Paulie is no gold glover, but he is surely an improvement over Frank at 1st. (This team is built around pitching and defense, remember?)
3) With the above said, why take Paulie's bat out of the lineup? With Frank just coming back it isn't like he is WAY hotter than Paulie right now.
4) Frank JUST came back, and he wasn't even supposed to be back yet. I say keep working him in slowly and give the ankle plenty of time to get strong. There is no way Frank is 100% yet. And we need the big guy to stay healthy all the way down the stretch.
5) We will need Frank to pinch hit while playing in the National league parks.

I could probably think of more, but seriously, this is plenty to convince me.

kj.hayes
06-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Making changes like this so that we can score a few more hits against a team like Colorado is just tempting fate. I'm not ruling out the necessity of Frank playing first at some point in the season, but at least as far as the immediate future is concerned, doing so would be foolhardy and unecessary.

And after all, our first baseman last night didn't do so shabby in the batter's box himself.

ChicagoHoosier
06-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Adament NO! Would like to see him hit each game once if possible.