PDA

View Full Version : Canseco arrested for fight in club

KempersRS
11-13-2001, 08:11 PM
Canseco arrested for nightclub scuffle

.c The Associated Press

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Jose Canseco was arrested Tuesday on charges he and his brother got into a nightclub fight that left one man with a broken nose and another needing 20 stitches in his lip.

The baseball star was charged with two counts of aggravated battery in the Halloween night scuffle. His twin brother, Ozzie, was charged with one count.

Canseco said he was at the club with his brother and three women when a man grabbed the player's date inappropriately and became aggressive. Canseco said another man approached his brother, who pushed him back, touching off the fight.

The brothers were taken to Miami-Dade County Jail on Tuesday night and were expected to post bond.

One man's nose was broken and the other needed 20 stitches to his lip, Miami Beach Police Detective Bobby Hernandez said.

Jose Canseco has been in trouble with the law before.

In 1997, police arrested him on charges he smacked his second wife in the head. He was ordered to undergo battery counseling.

In 1992, he was charged with aggravated assault for ramming his vehicle into a new car driven by his first wife. He agreed to community service and counseling.

Canseco, 37, is a free agent after hitting .258 with 16 homers and 49 RBIs for the Chicago White Sox last season. The 1988 AL MVP is 22nd on the career homer list with 462.

MiamiSpartan
11-13-2001, 09:07 PM
I LOVE IT HERE!!! :)

charlie browned
11-13-2001, 09:08 PM
Somehow, against all that is in me, I believe Jose this time. There are many more major jerks out there than Jose and Ozzie.
Jose is approaching his philosophical 40's, anyway--unless he's been doing the androstenedione-pump-you-up crap again, he's believable.

Daver
11-13-2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned
Somehow, against all that is in me, I believe Jose this time. There are many more major jerks out there than Jose and Ozzie.
Jose is approaching his philosophical 40's, anyway--unless he's been doing the androstenedione-pump-you-up crap again, he's believable.

Jose is a wife beating jerk.
I hope they throw the book at him.

Jerry_Manuel
11-13-2001, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by daver

I was wondering when this post would come.

charlie browned
11-13-2001, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by daver

Hey--at least he was protecting his "date" (or "dates").

I think a unified androstenedione plus alcohol theory is correct.

Soxfan7070
11-13-2001, 11:37 PM
I always wondered what would have happened if the Sox got into a bench-clearing brawl with Canseco on their side. Hehe... That one guy got 20 stitches...
I can't believe this would be my 100th post! :)

Jerry_Manuel
11-13-2001, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Soxfan7070

Yeah..

:beer

kermittheefrog
11-13-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Soxfan7070
I always wondered what would have happened if the Sox got into a bench-clearing brawl with Canseco on their side. Hehe... That one guy got 20 stitches...

When I was around 9 and had only been a Sox fan for a bit I wondered what would happen if Frank Thomas were to rush the mound or run over a catcher. Of course I quickly learned Frank doesn't have it in him to do these things. I don't really care about rushing the mound but I've seen him skip some times he had a good shot at the catcher and should have taken it for competitive reasons. It's pissed me off, why doesn't he just run the guy over?

FarWestChicago
11-14-2001, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

When I was around 9 and had only been a Sox fan for a bit I wondered what would happen if Frank Thomas were to rush the mound or run over a catcher. Of course I quickly learned Frank doesn't have it in him to do these things. I don't really care about rushing the mound but I've seen him skip some times he had a good shot at the catcher and should have taken it for competitive reasons. It's pissed me off, why doesn't he just run the guy over? I'll admit I've always wanted to see Frank just plow into a catcher...just to see what would happen, LOL!

doublem23
11-14-2001, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
When I was around 9 and had only been a Sox fan for a bit I wondered what would happen if Frank Thomas were to rush the mound or run over a catcher. Of course I quickly learned Frank doesn't have it in him to do these things. I don't really care about rushing the mound but I've seen him skip some times he had a good shot at the catcher and should have taken it for competitive reasons. It's pissed me off, why doesn't he just run the guy over?

That is probably the lone reason Frank Thomas just isn't my idol... I mean, in all realistic purposes, he should be. He's the best player on my favorite team of the sport I love with a passion... But Frank lacks that "take one for the team" attitude. It really pisses me off that a guy with that much raw talent has, at best, an average drive to be the best, no matter what. I think when I saw Robin Ventura charge the mound against Nolan Ryan was the day I became a worshipper of Robin (and the Sox, for that matter). That was just so awesome.

But, you're right... I've always wanted to see Frank just flatten a catcher... I mean, if Gary Matthews, Jr. can run over Sandy Alomar, I'd love to see what Frank could do...

Jerry_Manuel
11-14-2001, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I mean, if Gary Matthews, Jr. can run over Sandy Alomar, I'd love to see what Frank could do...

If Thomas ran over Alomar, Sandy would have to be taken directly to the hospital for his 12th or is it 13th surgery on his knees.

CredeFan
11-14-2001, 04:31 AM
Wait till Someone throws at Thomas's head. I've yet to see someone try that. Can you blame them for not doing it?

Eventhough Ventura got his ass kicked when he charged Ryan, I stil gained a lot of respect for him. He knew what kind of an ******* Ryan was and he took a stand for himself.

Good job Canseco! They were probably 2 drunk idiots that knew it was Ozzie and Jose and in their drunken thoughts said........... "They don't look so tough! We can take them!"

A broken nose and 20 stitches. At least they did the job right.

Iwritecode
11-14-2001, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
But, you're right... I've always wanted to see Frank just flatten a catcher... I mean, if Gary Matthews, Jr. can run over Sandy Alomar, I'd love to see what Frank could do...

I could be way off but that's probably exactly why Frank doesn't run catchers over. He's afraid of how much he could hurt somebody. Break a bone or two or give them a concussion or a seperated shoulder. As big as he is, he could end a season or possibly a career. I can see playing agressivley but he might be worried about going to far.

Then again, I might be completely wrong...

duke of dorwood
11-14-2001, 11:41 AM
:bashbro

Hello, Newark? It's me, your prodigal outfielder

Foulke You
11-14-2001, 03:19 PM
How much beer does one have to drink to take a look at Jose's 24" pythons and think you got a shot at taking him in a fight? I remember that one photo earlier in the year that someone was using on their posts of Canseco in the weight room with his shirt off. My God! That guy is lucky all he got was a broken nose and twenty stitches. Canseco probably could've severed his head from his body! I always knew the Sox would be OK in a bench clearing brawl last year with the trained Gorilla in the dugout.

Iwritecode
11-14-2001, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
How much beer does one have to drink to take a look at Jose's 24" pythons and think you got a shot at taking him in a fight? I remember that one photo earlier in the year that someone was using on their posts of Canseco in the weight room with his shirt off. My God! That guy is lucky all he got was a broken nose and twenty stitches. Canseco probably could've severed his head from his body! I always knew the Sox would be OK in a bench clearing brawl last year with the trained Gorilla in the dugout.

I remember that picture...

:canseco
Who's next!!!!

Kilroy
11-14-2001, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I could be way off but that's probably exactly why Frank doesn't run catchers over. He's afraid of how much he could hurt somebody. Break a bone or two or give them a concussion or a seperated shoulder. As big as he is, he could end a season or possibly a career. I can see playing agressivley but he might be worried about going to far.

Then again, I might be completely wrong...

I was at the game when Johnny Damon took out Chad Krueter a few years back. He's said since then, that the injuy he got in that collision almost ended his career and his life. As I remember the story, there was some complications during the surgery that he could have died from. So that could very well be something he thinks about.

But as far as going to the mound, hell, he doesn't even have to get to the pitcher. If he goes one time when he gets plunked the next pitcher will think "what if he gets to me?"

If I had to make a guess about why Thomas never charges the mound it'd be that his presence in the line-up makes so much difference. Getting ejected for charging the mound could only hurt the team.