PDA

View Full Version : Interleague is boring

GregoryEtc
06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
There is ONE single intriguing interleague matchup this weekend (BOS vs STL). Yawn.

Orioles @ Pirates June 6 - June 8
Angels @ Braves June 6 - June 8
Yankees @ Brewers June 6 - June 8
Blue Jays @ Cubs June 6 - June 8
Red Sox @ Cardinals June 6 - June 8
White Sox @ Rockies June 6 - June 8
Tigers @ Dodgers June 6 - June 8
A's @ Nationals June 7 - June 9
Mariners @ Marlins June 7 - June 9
Rangers @ Phillies June 7 - June 9
Devil Rays @ Reds June 7 - June 9
Twins @ D-Backs June 7 - June 9
Indians @ Padres June 7 - June 9
Royals @ Giants June 7 - June 9

fledgedrallycap
06-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Maybe from a national sex appeal POV, you may be correct. However, I don't think you're looking at this in the right light. I'm interested in the Rockies series because the Sox and Colorodo have never played before, and they're players in the National league I don't get to watch with any regulatiry - or at all. Other cities have fans with the same thoughts I'm sure...

whtsx1959
06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't like interleague play.
Playing the Rockies is boring, and I don't care if we've never played them before.
Give us back our divisional games. I can't go 3 months without playing the twins.

Interleague: Nay!

samram
I think Angels-Braves is a nice matchup. And who wouldn't love Devil Rays-Reds?

Baby Fisk
Maybe from a national sex appeal POV, you may be correct. However, I don't think you're looking at this in the right light. I'm interested in the Rockies series because the Sox and Colorodo have never played before, and they're players in the National league I don't get to watch with any regulatiry - or at all. Other cities have fans with the same thoughts I'm sure...
The Sox & Rox play what feels like 40 spring training games against each other. Booooring!

The best inter-league matchups for the Sox would be against the NL East. When do we get to play the Fish, Braves, Gnats, Mets and/or Phils?

samram
06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
The Sox & Rox play what feels like 40 spring training games against each other. Booooring!

The best inter-league matchups for the Sox would be against the NL East. When do we get to play the Fish, Braves, Gnats, Mets and/or Phils?

The Sox played them last year, sans the Mets. I belive they took 2 of 3 from the Phils and Braves, and lost 2 of 3 against Florida and Montreal (thanks, Arnie Munoz. Juan Rivera set himself up for life due to you).

rookieroy
06-06-2005, 02:49 PM
This is probably been a thread before, but, why cant we play the Cardinals or Brewers?

Wouldn't we all want to road trip and see these teams play?

fledgedrallycap
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM

Spring Training? The Sox play the Cubs in Spring Training and it means jack...b/c nobody cares about exhibition games. The NL East perspective is your point of view, I think it should be the NL Central; bragging rights across the Mid-West.

Edit - Whoops, NL Central, I mean.

Baby Fisk
06-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Spring Training? The Sox play the Cubs in Spring Training and it means jack...b/c nobody cares about exhibition games. The NL East perspective is your point of view, I think it should be the NL East; bragging rights across the Mid-West.

Did you mean NL Central? Because I wouldn't mind those games either (like Cards and Brewers mentioned above).

Let us agree: the West sucks!

CHISOXFAN13
06-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Did you mean NL Central? Because I wouldn't mind those games either (like Cards and Brewers mentioned above).

It won't in a week and a half. Im pretty fired up about the Dodgers coming to the South Side.

fledgedrallycap
06-06-2005, 03:15 PM

Agreed :D:

samram
06-06-2005, 03:18 PM

Actually, I would rather the Sox not play those teams out west either because I like the Dodgers and would rather see a NL West team make the wild card, and not have to beat the Sox to do so.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Boring or not, if the Sox interleague games next year are at home against the Braves & Marlins and away against the Sillies & Mets or Nats I'll be a happy camper...

Sox of White
06-06-2005, 03:42 PM
This is probably been a thread before, but, why cant we play the Cardinals or Brewers?

Wouldn't we all want to road trip and see these teams play?

We play them next year I believe. Central on central, west on west, east on east for interleague.

SoxFan76
06-06-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm kinda tired of the Sox/Cubs series. I'd like to see just 1 series and the home field alternates every year. The 2nd series never gets my interest like the 1st series.

Anybody actually agree with that?

whtsx1959
06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm kinda tired of the Sox/Cubs series. I'd like to see just 1 series and the home field alternates every year. The 2nd series never gets my interest like the 1st series.

I love that first friday game against the cubs. I just miss the night games at comiskey vs. the cubs.

whitesoxfan
06-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Interleague Play is alright. I do agree though that we need to play the Cards and the Brewers at least 1 series every year.

GregoryEtc
06-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Interleague makes the schedules unfair. If every team in the division isn't playing the same schedule, its unfair.

Plus the novelty has totally worn off. As it is now, there is no interleague matchup that would get me excited. I am even sick of Sox-Cubs.

I would propose that MLB take all this interleague nonsense to the off-season. How about a Series between the ALCS loser vs. the NLCS loser in a best of 7 in Sydney or Tokyo or Seoul in November? Call it the Whatif Series. Send a couple teams around the world in December to play foreign national teams. How about a series between the WS Champ and the Japanese League Champ? Those would be games worth tuning in for... and they could sort of extend baseball season to almost year round.

The Baseball World Cup has me excited. But I could really care less about Lou Pinella's triumphant return to Cincy as a Devil Ray.

SoxFan76
06-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I love that first friday game against the cubs. I just miss the night games at comiskey vs. the cubs.

Yeah, of course in a perfect world, the majority of the games would be played at night....at the Cell. haha, but that ain't going to happen.

FarWestChicago
06-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Interleague makes the schedules unfair. If every team in the division isn't playing the same schedule, its unfair.

Plus the novelty has totally worn off. As it is now, there is no interleague matchup that would get me excited. I am even sick of Sox-Cubs.I agree 100%. Interleague is both completely lame and unfair. It needs to go. In fact, it was never a good idea. It's not like it's time came and went. :redneck

MRKARNO
06-06-2005, 05:46 PM
:reinsy

"Does anyone seriously think I'm going to give away three guaranteed sellouts?"

Lip Man 1
06-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Wait till next year...the Sox get to look forward to playing the Central again. Can't get enough of those matchup's with Pittsburgh and Cincinnati! LOL

Lip

Jjav829
06-06-2005, 07:29 PM
There is ONE single intriguing interleague matchup this weekend (BOS vs STL). Yawn.

So what? There are always boring matchups. Tigers-Orioles get you excited? Royals-Mariners? Pirates-Nationals? Come on, there are boring matchups all over. Don't make it sound like interleague makes the matchups boring.

Personally, I like it. There's only so many times I want to see the Royals each year. I like playing new teams each year. It's interesting to see the Sox travel to Coors or Petco rather than the same boring trips to Kauffman or the Trop.

GregoryEtc
06-06-2005, 08:38 PM
There's only so many times I want to see the Royals each year.

Why? I wish we could play that joke of a franchise MORE! They haven't beat us yet! :)

Seriously, interleague play isn't costing you any games versus division teams like the Royals. We already play them 20 times a year. It is, however, costing the sox home dates against big draws like the Yankees and the Red Sox. As it is now, we only see those teams 3 or 6 times at home. In fact, if they went back to a non-interleague schedule, you'd probably see the Royals less because they could go back to a more balanced schedule.

Yeah and I just watched a professional major league pitcher embarass himself at the plate. That's great baseball.

Interleague was a fine idea when MLB was still trying to come back from the strike. It got fannies in the seats and people were excited about it. But I'm watching the first time the Sox have ever visited Denver and the place is 80% empty. I don't think anyone can argue that baseball needs interleague anymore. The novelty is gone and now they're just more dates on the schedule. Go back to the way it was. Its worn out its welcome.

batmanZoSo
06-07-2005, 12:07 AM

How many "exciting" intraleague games are there on any given night?

Dan H
06-07-2005, 06:23 AM
I agree. Interleague play is boring. The Dodgers coming to the South Side does nothing for me. It would be history making if it were a World Series. Interleague play was a nice little experiment. Time to give up including the over hyped Sox-Cubs series.

Cubbiesuck13
06-07-2005, 06:59 AM
How many "exciting" intraleague games are there on any given night?

Any game the SOX are playing are pretty exciting to me.
I like divisional games when I am watching a team other than the SOX. Twins-Toons, BoSox-Yanks, O's-Jays, etc...

PaleHoseGeorge
06-07-2005, 07:24 AM
I agree the novelty of interleague games has worn off. In all of MLB only 2-3 series come close to generating the excitement of Sox/Cubs. These are the exception. The rest are boring.

This would be a good time to scrap interleague games, divisions and wild-cards. Crown two league champions (the team with the best record) and have them play a best-of-7 world championship in October.

Now for all the fans of endless playoff series, do-or-die eliminations, Sox/Cubs games, wild-cards, tiebreaker scenarios you need a computer to calculate, and other "gee whiz" scams to generate extra excitement and TV revenue, set up a whole new tournament and award a big shiny trophy to the winner.

Something for the traditionalists and something for everyone else, too.

A chicken in every pot, I say!

:cool:

ondafarm
06-07-2005, 08:27 AM
I think interleague should go the opposite way. I would like to see every team play every other team one series a year. One year home, the next away (obviously split that up.) Then the unbalanced schedule could be dealt away with and you'd probably only have another two extra series against every other team in your league and an additional one against your division rivals. That way, you'd play 10 against teams in your division. Eight against teams in your league but not your division and three against teams in the opposite league. I hate this 19 games against divisional opponents schedule now in place.

elrod
06-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Pirates-Orioles is a good matchup, considering the history. They met in the 1971 and 1979 World Series, both of which were thrillers.

harwar
06-07-2005, 09:01 AM
I just wish it would go back to the way it was..no inter-league play and no unbalanced schedule.
Play every other team in your League an equal amount of times.
I really miss seeing the White Sox playing more games in Fenway,Yankee Stadium,& Camden Yards.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-07-2005, 09:35 AM
I just wish it would go back to the way it was..no inter-league play and no unbalanced schedule.
Play every other team in your League an equal amount of times.
I really miss seeing the White Sox playing more games in Fenway,Yankee Stadium,& Camden Yards.

I'm not sure when you're talking about because expansion and division play pretty much spiked "balanced scheduling" nearly 40 years ago.
:o:

The National League began playing unbalanced schedules back to 1969. In fact they were lauded by the barnicles of the baseball press corps because unbalanced schedules guaranteed each division had a champion with a winning record, unlike the A.L. West which quickly gained the reputation as a division filled with loser teams. It's yet another example of clear thinking from sports mediots...
:kukoo:

Meanwhile, in deference to all the have-not teams west of the Alleghenies, the A.L. instituted a "balanced" schedule so everybody got nearly the same number of home games against the league meal ticket, the Yankees. Of course 162 doesn't divide equally across 11 opponents or (after 1977 expansion) 13 opponents either.

So neither league has played a "balanced schedule" since 1968.

Get a clue. Expansions, divisions, and wild cards have ruined quaint traditional notions about balanced schedules.

You want balanced schedules? Do away with divisions and wild cards.

downstairs
06-07-2005, 11:33 AM

I essentially agree. Its not that bad, its still exciting.

I used to love the exhibition "Crosstown Classic" brought to you by Busch beer (remember?)

One game and one game only.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2005, 12:49 PM
The Cubs sure didn't like it...LOL, the Sox NEVER lost. 10-0-2 in the twelve games played.

Hell even MJ ripped a clutch hit.

Lip

jdm2662
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Hell even MJ ripped a clutch hit.

Lip

I was at the game. He had two hits. He also let a ground ball go through his legs that led to a Cubs run. It was a fun game, except it was 40 degrees out...
________
SQUIRTING AMATEUR (http://www.****tube.com/categories/994/amateur/videos/1)

Sxy Mofo
06-07-2005, 01:21 PM
There's plenty of intra-league games that are boring as well. Boring games are boring games. However, interleague games gives transplanted fans of a team that wouldn't come there other wise a chance to see their team.

I was talking to a guy last night, he goes "i'm not going to drive all the way to K.C... that's two far. And kansas sucks" Totally agree.

So, while you all might not really like it, there are a lot of fans out there that love it. The sox-rox will be the most exciting series of the year for me.

santo=dorf
06-07-2005, 01:34 PM
So what? There are always boring matchups. Tigers-Orioles get you excited? Royals-Mariners? Pirates-Nationals? Come on, there are boring matchups all over. Don't make it sound like interleague makes the matchups boring.

Personally, I like it. There's only so many times I want to see the Royals each year. I like playing new teams each year. It's interesting to see the Sox travel to Coors or Petco rather than the same boring trips to Kauffman or the Trop.
I share the same thoughts.

Would some of you rather have another Red Sox-Yankees series that ESPN can shove down our throats? How about a Royals-Devil Rays or Rockies-Cardinals?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-07-2005, 01:37 PM
I share the same thoughts.

Would some of you rather have another Red Sox-Yankees series that ESPN can shove down our throats? How about a Royals-Devil Rays or Rockies-Cardinals?

:o:

After repeatedly playing one another for as many as 100+ FREAKING YEARS, the percentage of "boring" intra-league matchups is significantly fewer than inter-league ones like Sox/Rockies.

:tool
"That's odd... I thought baseball began when the Braves came to Milwaukee."

DaleJRFan
06-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I like interleague play. I get a chance to see players I normally wouldn't get to see. I get to see parks I normally wouldn't get to see. These are selfish reasons, but I like it.

MeanFish
06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
I hate to be the one to express this probably very unpopular idea, but why not do away with interleague and just redraft the divisions based on what would be the most profitable?

I know for us anyway, a division of Sox/Cubs/Cards/Brewers/Twins would be a heck of a lot of fun...

GregoryEtc
06-07-2005, 08:15 PM
As a fan of an American League team, we should all see how inherantly flawed and unfair Interleague is. Our GM builds a team to beat other AL teams. NL teams don't have to spend a roster spot on a guy who will DH every day. AL teams do. And don't say, well AL GMs will just have to have that in mind when they build their teams. Bologna!! No AL GM is going to build their team around 9-12 NL away games. They're just not. KW may have built a team that looks a lot like an NL team but if the Sox played in the NL, Carl and Frank are not on this team. There's no place for them.

I understand that no schedule ever going to be 100% balanced. I'm fine with that. But to tell one team, "you guys get 6 games against the small market Milwaukee with the $40 million payroll" and another team, "you guys have to play 6 games against the large market Cubs with an $87 million payroll instead." is just unfair. I don't care if more cubs games puts more butts in the seats. It puts the Sox at a distinct disadvantage. We only lost the division in 2003 by 4 games. I sure wish we got to play LAST PLACE Milwaukee 6 times that year instead of the Division Champion Cubs.

Call it nitpicky. Say that the season is 162 games and that things are going to happen that make all these variables moot. But the playing field has to start out as even as possible. And I bet that if the strike never happened in 1994, we're not even having this discussion. It was a novelty to get people back to the park. 8 years later, do the people of Colorado seem to care that the only team never to visit their park are in town for the first time? The novelty has obviously worn off. (And something tells me, Coors would be filled to the gills for a game against the Toledo Mud Hens if the Rockies were playing winning baseball.)

The point is, there just is no need for Interleague baseball anymore. It doesn't serve its purpose of getting more people out to the park and it ruins the integrity of the game. Its unfair and its pointless.

FarWestChicago
06-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I agree the novelty of interleague games has worn off. In all of MLB only 2-3 series come close to generating the excitement of Sox/Cubs. These are the exception. The rest are boring.That's the problem. In this case it's almost like the opinion of Sox fans shouldn't count. The Sox play the Incarnation of Evil. That's a big deal. The other made up AL/NL rivalries just don't work. Maybe Skanks/Mets. That's about it. The Gain'ts/FOBB's series couldn't be less meaningless or more boring. Get rid of it. It's a blight. You don't know this unless you are out in the vast non-Sox wasteland of the rest of North America. :redneck

NWSox
06-08-2005, 12:59 AM
I understand that no schedule ever going to be 100% balanced. I'm fine with that. But to tell one team, "you guys get 6 games against the small market Milwaukee with the $40 million payroll" and another team, "you guys have to play 6 games against the large market Cubs with an $87 million payroll instead." is just unfair. I don't care if more cubs games puts more butts in the seats. It puts the Sox at a distinct disadvantage. We only lost the division in 2003 by 4 games. I sure wish we got to play LAST PLACE Milwaukee 6 times that year instead of the Division Champion Cubs.

MLB can never guarantee a "balanced" schedule according to this standard. The Sox actually play more games against teams with small and middle market payrolls than teams like the Blue Jays or D Rays, even without interleague play. As this whole thread points out, balanced schedules, by any standard, have been gone for a long time, so interleague play should be judged on whether it creates more interesting matchups for fans than a straight intraleague schedule. I, for one, think interleague play is more interesting (even though I lose an additional Sox trip to Seattle each year).