PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame 1919 Sox on ESPN Classic Tonight

Foulke You
06-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame the 1919 White Sox for throwing the World Series is being replayed tonight at 8PM Central on ESPN Classic for those interested.

nitetrain8601
06-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Anyone got a brief synopsis(for those who've already seen it) on why??

nebraskasox
06-06-2005, 02:15 PM
This program has aired a couple of times recently. I watched the last showing.

The reasons they gave that you couldn't blame the Sox were:

1) The players were charged with fraud against the public/Comiskey. Because there was no law prohibiting this, the players were acquitted. Also when Landis banned the players from baseball, he conducted no investigation. It appeared that he just wanted to make a statement.

2) Game stats were inconclusive. Joe Jackson hit .375 and had the only HR. He said that he did not deliver on the bet but played to win. Cicotte had been hit hard in his last 3 starts in September, so his Series woes may have been a continuation.

3) There was no whistle blower. Rumors were rampant but no one said anything. Comiskey himself had heard runors but he did nothing.

4) Comiskey was cheap and underpaid his players.

5) Corruption was rampant in Chicago. Baseball was infested with gamblers. Betting on sports was common.

Iguana775
06-06-2005, 02:17 PM
This program has aired a couple of times recently. I watched the last showing.

The reasons they gave that you couldn't blame the Sox were:

1) The players were charged with fraud against the public/Comiskey. Because there was no law prohibiting this, the players were acquitted. Also when Landis banned the players from baseball, he conducted no investigation. It appeared that he just wanted to make a statement.

2) Game stats were inconclusive. Joe Jackson hit .375 and had the only HR. He said that he did not deliver on the bet but played to win. Cicotte had been hit hard in his last 3 starts in September, so his Series woes may have been a continuation.

3) There was no whistle blower. Rumors were rampant but no one said anything. Comiskey himself had heard runors but he did nothing.

4) Comiskey was cheap and underpaid his players.

5) Corruption was rampant in Chicago. Baseball was infested with gamblers. Betting on sports was common.

It was all a conspiricy by Selig. LOL.

btw, NebSox, glad to see another Sox fan in neb. I'm in lincoln.

nebraskasox
06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
It was all a conspiricy by Selig. LOL.

btw, NebSox, glad to see another Sox fan in neb. I'm in lincoln.

You may already know, there's a famous Sox fan in Lincoln - Coach Callahan. He grew up on the S Side and went to Mendel Catholic HS.

MaggPipes
06-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey, I am a white sox fan out here in what you would call "western" Nebraska so there are more of us. :)

Hangar18
06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
You may already know, there's a famous Sox fan in Lincoln - Coach Callahan. He grew up on the S Side and went to Mendel Catholic HS.

Say, didnt I meet you at one of the KC games in 2003? or is
that alaskasox im thinking of?

nebraskasox
06-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Say, didnt I meet you at one of the KC games in 2003? or is
that alaskasox im thinking of?

I went to a KC game in Sept but I don't remember meeting anyone. I was with my brother in the club level seats (they were great). The Sox won something like 8-6 via come from behind when the Big Hurt doubled off the wall with the bases loaded. The twins had overtaken us by then but hadn't clinched and Nancy Faust played "Stayin Alive" after the win.

Iguana775
06-06-2005, 07:10 PM

Cool! I didnt know Callahan is a Sox fan. More reason to like him! lol

SoxFanTillDeath
06-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Holy Cow! Half of the population of Nebraska belong to WSI!

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame the 1919 White Sox for throwing the World Series is being replayed tonight at 8PM Central on ESPN Classic for those interested.

Ya know what they forgot??

NONE OF US WERE THERE, and there's a good chance alot of what happened wasn't written down.

Unlike the Cubs choke of 2003, which all the nation saw....and yet, they blamed it on Bartman.

Demented and sad, but social...