PDA

View Full Version : Time to reconsider McCarthy for bullpen role?

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2005, 01:59 PM
This is not panic mode, folks, so hear me out...

Given the "shaky" nature of the Sox bullpen, how about recalling McCarthy to be El Duque's "designated reliever" and sending both Shingo and Vizcaino to Charlotte? Because he often throws a lot of pitches, El Duque could focus on being brilliant for, say, just five innings and then hand it over to McCarthy, who could close out the game starting in the sixth.

If El Duque gets hurt or needs to skip a start, McCarthy would be ready because he'd already be on the same schedule.

Advantages:
1. McCarthy gets experience against MLB hitters every fifth day and is on the same schedule as El Duque
2. El Duque can be put on strict pitch counts to "save" his arm for October
3. McCarthy can pitch an inning here or there in relief on his designated "side throwing" day
4. Opens a roster spot for Gload
5. The reliable relivers - Hermanson, Marte, Cotts and Politte - almost would be guaranteed an off day every fifth day

Disadvantages:
Vizcaino and/or Shingo go to Charlotte and get regular work

The way I see it, McCarthy can be trusted to pitch 4-5 quality - and often scorless - innings at a time, which is more than anyone can say for Shingo and Vizcaino. Why not put the Sox best pitchers in positions where they can both help the team and increase the speed of their development?

Thoughts?

nitetrain8601
06-06-2005, 02:02 PM
McCarthy has been getting rocked in Charlotte as well. He gives up too many walks and HR's. He still needs to work on things there. He has to get more velocity on his fastball. He also has soo much control that his fastball is straight and doesn't move whatsoever so it's just moving in one straight line. He also needs to learn to keep the ball down.

shoota
06-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Thoughts?

I say no because KW should be able to get a quality arm or two via a trade.

daveeym
06-06-2005, 02:06 PM

Given the "shaky" nature of the Sox bullpen, how about recalling McCarthy to be El Duque's "designated reliever" and sending both Shingo and Vizcaino to Charlotte? Because he often throws a lot of pitches, El Duque could focus on being brilliant for, say, just five innings and then hand it over to McCarthy, who could close out the game starting in the sixth.

If El Duque gets hurt or needs to skip a start, McCarthy would be ready because he'd already be on the same schedule.

Advantages:
1. McCarthy gets experience against MLB hitters every fifth day and is on the same schedule as El Duque
3. McCarthy can pitch an inning here or there in relief on his designated "side throwing" day
5. The reliable relivers - Hermanson, Marte, Cotts and Politte - almost would be guaranteed an off day every fifth day

Disadvantages:

The way I see it, McCarthy can be trusted to pitch 4-5 quality - and often scorless - innings at a time, which is more than anyone can say for Shingo and Vizcaino. Why not put the Sox best pitchers in positions where they can both help the team and increase the speed of their development?

Thoughts? Ok great let's start making up rolls/positions.:rolleyes: El Duque's designated reliever. :roflmao:

Randar68
06-06-2005, 02:06 PM
McCarthy has been getting rocked in Charlotte as well. He gives up too many walks and HR's. He still needs to work on things there. He has to get more velocity on his fastball. He also has soo much control that his fastball is straight and doesn't move whatsoever so it's just moving in one straight line. He also needs to learn to keep the ball down.

:whoflungpoo

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2005, 02:11 PM
He gives up too many walks and HR's.

I agree he needs to keep the ball down and cut down on the walks, but to what extent did the number of home runs he gave up in his stint with the Sox come from the fact that he pitched in the little league park known as Wrigley Field on a day when the wind was blowing out, and against the Rangers (whose offense, 1 through 9, could outslug the 27 Yankees) in the launching pad of Arlington? And in the minors, how much do his HR totals reflect the Charlotte bandbox?

More importantly, is he really that much worse than Shingo and Vizcaino?

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Thoughts?Interesting concept. What you have is essentially Hernandez and McCarthy sharing a starting spot. But I'm not so sure McCarthy could also relieve in between, and I wouldn't necessarily assume McCarthy will be able to pitch the second half of all those games without some relief help himself. So you'd use up an extra roster spot rather than opening one up.

I'm not too worried about Hernandez getting overworked. He can generally go 6 IP without going over 100 pitches. Assuming no rainouts, he would have his last start before the break on July 8. They could use break to juggle the rotation, pushing his next start back to July 18 - giving him 9 days rest. They could also spell him a start or two in September once the callups arrive. So he could have two nice breaks before the end of the year. I think that's probably going to be enough.

nitetrain8601
06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
I agree he needs to keep the ball down and cut down on the walks, but to what extent did the number of home runs he gave up in his stint with the Sox come from the fact that he pitched in the little league park known as Wrigley Field on a day when the wind was blowing out, and against the Rangers (whose offense, 1 through 9, could outslug the 27 Yankees) in the launching pad of Arlington? And in the minors, how much do his HR totals reflect the Charlotte bandbox?

More importantly, is he really that much worse than Shingo and Vizcaino?

He's not much worse, but he wouldn't be that much better with all the stuff he has to work on. Giving up HR's and walks are big problems of Viz and Shingo. Plus it's not worth delaying his development as a starter(ala Cotts) to have him relieve if he's not going to be dominant. You'll probably see Bobby Jenks relieve before you see McCarthy relieve.

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2005, 02:21 PM
He's not much worse, but he wouldn't be that much better with all the stuff he has to work on. Giving up HR's and walks are big problems of Viz and Shingo. Plus it's not worth delaying his development as a starter(ala Cotts) to have him relieve if he's not going to be dominant. You'll probably see Bobby Jenks relieve before you see McCarthy relieve.Bajenaru has been lights out, so he'd be my first choice to bring up. Vizcaino is out of options, and even though he hasn't been very good, pitchers generally don't make it through waivers. Sending Shingo down has all sorts of ramifications that I don't want to get into. Best case (aside from him starting to pitch effectively) would be to include Vizcaino in a trade.

nitetrain8601
06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Bajenaru has been lights out, so he'd be my first choice to bring up. Vizcaino is out of options, and even though he hasn't been very good, pitchers generally don't make it through waivers. Sending Shingo down has all sorts of ramifications that I don't want to get into. Best case (aside from him starting to pitch effectively) would be to include Vizcaino in a trade.

I agree. That or hope for the best with Viz. I would like to see Ba given a shot though.

lowesox
06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
2 things:

1. I think McCarthy is best served starting every five days in Charlotte
2. I think Vizquaino will come around and be one of our better relievers by the beginning of July.

wdelaney72
06-06-2005, 03:56 PM
You have to keep McCarthy stretched out as a starter. Anything is possible over the next few months with our starting pitching. God forbid someone gets hurt and we need to call up a starter.

I agree with ON2, Hernandez will be fine.

SoxFan76
06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
:whoflungpoo

People say the darndest things.

I do like the original idea though. I've never thought of anything like that. McCarthy is essentially still starting, well ok he's not really starting, but he could pitch anywhere from 3-5 innings every 5th day. That works for me. I sure like that better than throwing Shingo and Vizcaino out there for 3 innings combined. Thankfully Cotts has been good this year, because Marte, Vizcaino, and definitely Shingo have been very disappointing.

JRIG
06-06-2005, 03:59 PM

He's got 14 walks in 54 innings pitched.

But he's no Greg Maddux.

ilsox7
06-06-2005, 05:39 PM
And this is the reaosn why WSI becomes a wasteland after a loss. You people need to settle the **** down.

jake27
06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
just remember... buehrle worked in the bullpen for a year before going in the rotation

nitetrain8601
06-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Buehrle was ready though. BMac clearly isn't. Besides, like others said, you need to keep him stretched out as a starter just in case something happens. Also, I would not like to see the kid's confidence shattered or him making mistakes in the bullpen. That's what the minors is for.

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Buehrle was ready though. BMac clearly isn't. Besides, like others said, you need to keep him stretched out as a starter just in case something happens. Also, I would not like to see the kid's confidence shattered or him making mistakes in the bullpen. That's what the minors is for.

I seem to remember Buehrle having a pretty poor game against the Texas Rangers in his first season. (I remember it because it was my bachelor party!) Anyway, he gave up 3 runs and 4 hits in one-third of an inning in relief of Jon Garland on August 2, 2000 at the Ballpark in Arlington. Some might have said Buehrle wasn't ready then.

Link (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=200008020TEX)

To base opinions of McCarthy on his two MLB starts - one in the bandbox of the Urinal with the wind howling out, and the other in Ameriquest against the Rangers - isn't quite fair.

Still, the choice is between Vizcaino/Shingo and McCarthy. Who's better for the Sox bullpen right now? I say McCarthy. If he's "mentally tough," he'll not have a problem accepting a bullpen role on a playoff-bound team when his alternative would be pitching in Charlotte's bandbox for the rest of the year and then hoping for September callup when rosters expand, only to be left off the playoff roster (or, even worse, added to the playoff roster at the last minute without having had the benefit of playing more than half of an MLB season).

mealfred13
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I think your original post was an interesting idea that might work, assuming the rest of the relievers would be able to handle every other game besides El Duque starts, and assuming McCarthy and El Duque would be able to finish entire games on their own. If not, that leaves us 1 arm short in the 'pen which could potentially be worse than hoping for a solid effort from Viz or Shingo every once in a while.

As for Baj, how do we know he won't be brought up and just suck like he did for us at the end of last season. He might be killing minor-league hitters, but that doesn't mean he'll be doing the same on a call-up.

DaleJRFan
06-07-2005, 03:27 PM
As for Baj, how do we know he won't be brought up and just suck like he did for us at the end of last season. He might be killing minor-league hitters, but that doesn't mean he'll be doing the same on a call-up.

He'll go at the break, good trade fodder.

mweflen
06-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Thoughts?

Short Answer: YES

Long Answer: YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYE SYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESY ESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!