PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Obsession

Bobbo35
06-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Is there anyone in my boat that is so antsy during the day waiting for the Sox to play? When they don't play , the day sucks. My fiance says I have a problem with my White Sox Obsession, but I tell her she is the crazy one for not being like me.

Go Sox!

LVSoxFan
06-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah I remember not knowing what to do/watch Thursday night when they were off.

Hey baseball season comes and goes in a blink, why not take it all in? As long as you're not spending the offseason watching taped games or Sox-related products like Carl's video I'm Tellin' Ya Them Dinosaurs Were Never Here and Here's Why! I see no problem with a little obsessiveness.

rdwj
06-06-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm lucky - my wife is obsessed too. One our first day back from vacation, one of the first things my wife did was check the schedule to see what time the game started and said she missed being able to watch games.

Rocky Soprano
06-06-2005, 12:24 PM
(stands, clears throat)

Hello,

My name is Jesse and I am a Soxaholic.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Is there anyone in my boat that is so antsy during the day waiting for the Sox to play? When they don't play , the day sucks. My fiance says I have a problem with my White Sox Obsession, but I tell her she is the crazy one for not being like me.

Go Sox!

Last Thursday I felt the same. I spend the mornings and afternoons checking matchups, stats, and listening to AM1000 waiting for the games. If the start time is 8:05 like tonight it's enough to get me a little down. The Angels-West Coast trip was murder. And now with Frank back it's even worse. I've been this way for years, especially in 2000. But it's worse (best) now.

P.S. I hope yesterday Ozzie blared the music real loud in the clubhouse after the loss. I wasn't depressed after it at all. Just move on.

Cellview22
06-06-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm the same way. Today, and the rest of the week, are gonna be tough. What am I going to do after dinner until 8:00? :redneck No, it's not that bad. I just prefer the 6 or 7:00 start times. I tend to get antsy.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 12:54 PM
It is comforting to know there are people like you out there. But the first step is admitting you have a problem :smile:

Chez
06-06-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm truly obsessed; but find off days quite relaxing -- almost a mini-vacation from the obsession

FanofBill
06-06-2005, 01:00 PM
I am only a Soxaholic when they hav a winning season. Just my way of keeping me from getting so disappointed, sad or heartbroken. Life has enough of those.

I know there were one year, I listened to or watched every game played and they didn't even make it through the playoff. It made me so heartbroken and disappointed that since then, I told myself, I'll never let another team or game get me so worked up or heartbroken anymore.

Dibbs
06-06-2005, 01:10 PM
I am the same way. April seems to be the worst month for me, especially the off day after opening day....that is THE worst day of the year.

Baby Fisk
06-06-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm truly obsessed; but find off days quite relaxing -- almost a mini-vacation from the obsession
Exactly! These Thursdays off give me a chance to get caught up with the rest of my life: socializing, dinners out, laundry, paying bills, reading books, etc.

SpammySosa
06-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I am only a Soxaholic when they hav a winning season. Just my way of keeping me from getting so disappointed, sad or heartbroken. Life has enough of those.

I know there were one year, I listened to or watched every game played and they didn't even make it through the playoff. It made me so heartbroken and disappointed that since then, I told myself, I'll never let another team or game get me so worked up or heartbroken anymore.

Fair weather fan!:rolleyes: :tongue:

FanofBill
06-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Fair weather fan!:rolleyes: :tongue:

:redface: :tongue:

Bobbo35
06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Exactly! These Thursdays off give me a chance to get caught up with the rest of my life: socializing, dinners out, laundry, paying bills, reading books, etc.

I sit there with my fiance as she watches some horrible reality tv show thinking, "boy do I wish the Sox were on."

Cat Thief
06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
the off day after opening day....that is THE worst day of the year.

And all along i thought it was just me.

SpammySosa
06-06-2005, 01:44 PM
I sit there with my fiance as she watches some horrible reality tv show thinking, "boy do I wish the Sox were on."

Brother,I feel your pain! I have experienced the same thing with my wife.Consider that a warning for when you get married.:wink: Seriously though,with us having just one tv,my wife has been more than supportive in my Sox viewing habits.If she can put up with my rants and raves,hooping and hollering and constant Sox obsessing,I can watch Nanny 911 or American Idol....as long as they don't interfere with a Sox game.:tongue:

jhill36
06-06-2005, 01:54 PM
This is how crazy I am: I keep Excel spreadsheets in which I personally track Frank's stats so far (12 ABs, 1 HR, etc.) and I also track EVERY day:

ERA/innings pitched for each starter
Burly's consecutive 6 inn. or more streak
no. of games left (106)
on pace to win (currently on pace to win 107 of 162 games)
# of games starting pitching holds opp. to 1-run or less: 16
1-run game record: 18-7
starting rotation record: 29-10
I think of new ones as I go along.

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2005, 01:58 PM
I have had to live with it, at school in the dorms there was no fsn or csn so i could only watch pbp on yahoo, it is tough and now that im relocated i can only watch god aweful cards games unless the sox are national, thank god for them being great this year so they get espn attention.

Eh, 2 months and im back in dekalb with my own cable and attendin sox games again

Bobbo35
06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Brother,I feel your pain! I have experienced the same thing with my wife.Consider that a warning for when you get married.:wink: Seriously though,with us having just one tv,my wife has been more than supportive in my Sox viewing habits.If she can put up with my rants and raves,hooping and hollering and constant Sox obsessing,I can watch Nanny 911 or American Idol....as long as they don't interfere with a Sox game.:tongue:
Ya, my fiance has gotten more interest in the Sox, but she rarely sits down and watches a game for more than 20 minutes. Give me a season and she will be knowing stats.

gosox83
06-06-2005, 02:26 PM
the worst is an off day after a loss......ie...last week Wednesday's Timo Perez at first debacle with Thursday off.

I hate that off day after a loss

skobabe8
06-06-2005, 02:27 PM
I can relate to alot that has been posted. The bulk of my day is spent preparing for when the game comes on.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-06-2005, 02:31 PM
It's amazing how I was thinking of starting this thread myself yesterday. I was a little worried that I would be one of a handful but I'm glad to see there's more than I expected.

If I'm at work and I find out the Sox lose, I get really depressed. If I'm at home watching the game, same feeling. If the Twins win the same day we lose, I just get upset. To add on to all that, if the Cubs win, oh man, tough day to be me.

Now looking at it from the other side, when the Sox win, I'm very happy and extremely nice to everyone. If the Twins lose on the same day, wow, I'm on cloud nine. If the Cubs lose as well, hah, as my main man MC Hammer would say; Can't Touch This.

And where I work, I can pretty much come in almost whenever I want as long as I work the amount of hours I'm supposed to. So I usually plan my work schedule around the White Sox game. :cool:

SpammySosa
06-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Ya, my fiance has gotten more interest in the Sox, but she rarely sits down and watches a game for more than 20 minutes. Give me a season and she will be knowing stats.

I have tried for 4 seasons now to increase her Sox awareness and interest and have made some progress,though it usually comes in baby steps.Like I said before though, she has been more than supportive of my love of the Sox and that might be more important than any Sox allegiance she may ever show personally.:D:

gosox83
06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
When I have the Sox game on my computer while I am teaching, I am the nicest teacher on earth when they are winning. If the other team mounts a come back and ties or takes the lead I turn into the teacher from the breakfast club, and if the students even look like they want to talk while I am lecturing I give them the business.

3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
06-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Go Sox!

I am in the exact same situation. We have tivo, so I usually watch the beginning of the game, then we go on with our evening, and then I have to stay up late watching the rest on tivo after my fiance goes to bed. She is a good sport though. She watches with me a lot of the time, and she chimes in with hawk and dj with a nice big "YES!" on the home run calls. Bottom line though, is that she still thinks I have a problem. On the bright side though, we live in Denver, and she has given me permission to go to all 3 games at Coors field this week despite the fact that we are less than two weeks away from the big day. (She will be joining me for at least one, if not two.)

robiwho
06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
... she has been more than supportive of my love of the Sox and that might be more important than any Sox allegiance she may ever show personally.:D:

This is exactly how I feel about my husband. He's never been and never will be a baseball fan, but he's more than supportive of my obsession. Of course, after seeing so many games it is starting to seep in. Every once in a while he'll ask a really insightful question about the game that lets me know he really HAS been paying attention. Most importantly, of course, he's letting me raise our children properly!

This thread is making me feel better -- we all need to know we're not the only ones!

SpammySosa
06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
On the bright side though, we live in Denver, and she has given me permission to go to all 3 games at Coors field this week despite the fact that we are less than two weeks away from the big day. (She will be joining me for at least one, if not two.)

Now that is true love! Congrats on the Sox support and most certainly congrats and best wishes on the upcoming wedding/marriage.:smile: :supernana:

ChiSoxGirl
06-06-2005, 03:11 PM
When I have the Sox game on my computer while I am teaching, I am the nicest teacher on earth when they are winning. If the other team mounts a come back and ties or takes the lead I turn into the teacher from the breakfast club, and if the students even look like they want to talk while I am lecturing I give them the business.

I totally do the same thing! On the days in April & May when the Sox had day games, MLB Gameday was minimized on my computer and whenever I'd have a minute, I'd go over to my computer and check out what was happening. If it was good, I'd let out a soft "yes!" and if it was bad, the kids probably heard, "ugh!" Thank goodness school is out this week because that means us teachers can *attend* these day games, instead of just bringing them up on our computers! :bandance:

soxfan43
06-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I hate these west coast trips with the late starts, messes with my schedule. THursdays (when the sox are often off) has become about the only day during the week that I can get anything done like laundry, bills,c leaning. My PS2 has been collecting dust and I haven't watched a movie from netflix since april. My family thinks im insane becuase I am the only baseball fan in the family and we grew up on the northside. But oh well, I love my sox

jhill36
06-06-2005, 03:22 PM
I am in the exact same situation. We have tivo, so I usually watch the beginning of the game, then we go on with our evening, and then I have to stay up late watching the rest on tivo after my fiance goes to bed. She is a good sport though. She watches with me a lot of the time, and she chimes in with hawk and dj with a nice big "YES!" on the home run calls. Bottom line though, is that she still thinks I have a problem. On the bright side though, we live in Denver, and she has given me permission to go to all 3 games at Coors field this week despite the fact that we are less than two weeks away from the big day. (She will be joining me for at least one, if not two.)

That's really cool.

AZChiSoxFan
06-06-2005, 05:18 PM
I'm the same way. Today, and the rest of the week, are gonna be tough. What am I going to do after dinner until 8:00? :redneck No, it's not that bad. I just prefer the 6 or 7:00 start times. I tend to get antsy.

That's one of the things I like about living in Arizona (Pacific time in the summer): Sox home games start at 5:05. :D:

AZChiSoxFan
06-06-2005, 05:22 PM
I am the same way. April seems to be the worst month for me, especially the off day after opening day....that is THE worst day of the year.

The day after the all-star game is pretty bad as well.

So.ILSoxFan
06-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I remember painting the garage with my dad back in high school, middle of June, blistering hot, but the sox were on the radio, and that made it bearable. Must have listened to 7 games before the painting was done, and I swear when I look at the garage today, I can tell where I painted when the sox were winning (nice even brushstrokes, good edges) versus when they were losing (looked like s^$&.) Not intentional, but it was my personal affirmation that I am addicted....:smile:

Ventura Fan 23
06-06-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm constantly thinking about the White Sox. I think of trades, and for a long time, who should get sent down once Frank gets back (which he did, but because of the Ross Gload injury, the situation is yet to come).

BaseballTonyght
06-06-2005, 05:50 PM
My addicition is just as bad and compounded by the fact that I live out in California - the later the start the better for me.

When the Sox are playing day games (or EST/CST start times) I have to Tivo the game so I can watch it when I get home. The only problem is I can't check WSI or Whitesox.com all day for fear of someone giving away the score and spoiling the game for me :D:. Thus, no Sox fix for me the whole day! Ouch! :whiner:

CallMeNuts
06-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I hate these west coast trips with the late starts, messes with my schedule. THursdays (when the sox are often off) has become about the only day during the week that I can get anything done like laundry, bills,c leaning. My PS2 has been collecting dust and I haven't watched a movie from netflix since april. My family thinks im insane becuase I am the only baseball fan in the family and we grew up on the northside. But oh well, I love my sox

I'd like to start a grass roots effort to merge the Pacific & Mountain Time Zones into one, so that the time on the West coast would only be one hour earlier than Chicago. My public explanation will be that it will bring our nation closer together. But my secret motive is so that I can see the end of all the Sox games. I'm sure that everyone on the West Coast won't mind waking up an hour earlier every day to accommodate this plan. The entire nation of China has only one time zone and it works for them. Of course, not everyone there has a clock.

ShoelessJoeS
06-06-2005, 09:55 PM
i dont think my obession will stop until they win the world series...wait a minute, i think that would cause me to be more obsessed! (if possible) oh well, GO SOX!

SoxFan76
06-06-2005, 10:12 PM
I thought I was the only one as well. I wait in anticipation for every game. That is why I like baseball over football. They play 6 days a week instead of 1.

CLR01
06-06-2005, 10:44 PM

Sorry but the day before opening day is much worse.

TomBradley72
06-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Rain outs are the worst....and least you can mentally prepare for an off day.

Bobbo35
06-07-2005, 07:48 AM

Ya, our wedding is July 1st, and this weekend is my bachelor party and guess where we are going, San Diego. My buddies surprised me. It was good though because my best man is a season ticket holder with me so there was no question with him. We are catching the Saturday and Sunday games. I even got my Fiance to let my buddies in the wedding wear Sox hats when we get introduced at the reception.

Go Sox!

soxjim
06-07-2005, 08:11 AM
My wife and I are both Soxaholics. At work I'm wearing A Sox shirt and have a Sox schedule taped to my desk. My wife has a tape and listens to Nancy Faust play take me out to the ball game and Na Na Hey Hey Good Bye while at work. This is what gets us through day games while at work. On off days we go through withdrawls.

elrod
06-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure if I'm reassured - or depressed - that so many share The Affliction with me. I find it close to impossible to think about anything other than the Sox all day.

RavenswoodFan
06-07-2005, 11:04 AM
I guess I'm lucky, my fiance will ask if the Sox are on and say well lets watch that!:smile: Unless "Fear Factor" is on then I'm religated to watching game cast on espn.com:(:

sdccpa
06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
My wife has no interest in baseball (on TV) I can get her to go to the games but trying to get the time to watch them on TV :(: .

SoxFanTillDeath
06-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Wow...this is depressing. I am the true definition of a die-hard Sox fan (at least I though I was until I started reading this thread), but I can't honestly say that my day is ruined if the Sox aren't playing. I love to watch/listen to every game and I follow the Sox like no other, but I have so many other things that keep me busy...maybe that's what keeps me out of depression, I don't know. Is this what I have to look forward to? Maybe being single is better...gosh.

I do hate off days, just like the rest of you. But the whole "making it through the day" thing and having to listen to sox stuff to make it through the day, that's beyond obsession. I'm sorry, but didn't anyone learn anything from 9/11? There is more to life than sports.

I love sports. I talk sports all the time with my friends. I play basketball/baseball a minimum of 4 times a week, and I watch Sox games all the time. I own all sorts of Sox stuff and every single person in my family, at my job, and in my college (small Bible college) knows that I'm a die hard Sox fan. I say all that because I don't want anyone to think I'm picking a fight or anything like that. This is not meant negatively toward anyone. I love the Sox, but you gotta realize that there's more to life.

kj.hayes
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry, but didn't anyone learn anything from 9/11? There is more to life than sports.

Huh?

Baby Fisk
06-07-2005, 04:19 PM
This is not meant negatively toward anyone. I love the Sox, but you gotta realize that there's more to life.
Killjoy!

SoxFanTillDeath
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Killjoy!

I know...I'm sorry. I guess I could've just let it all go.

TomBradley72
06-07-2005, 05:24 PM
This is not meant negatively toward anyone. I love the Sox, but you gotta realize that there's more to life.[/QUOTE]

Sure...there's the Bears and the Illini....but it's baseball season.