PDA

View Full Version : Can Crazy Carl play first?

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 11:13 AM
The question may be moot this week because of the upcoming week in NL parks, but with Frank coming back and Dye (.391) and Everett (.412) getting hot this past week and Konerko staying cold (.200). Is it realisitic to get Everett some PT at first base possibly this week and after? IMO, it would be great to have both Frank and Carl in the line up (after this road trip).

gobears1987
06-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Better question, can he play 3rd?

voodoochile
06-06-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't think he has any experience over there. I think he could play first with some practice, but don't know if this is the right time to try it.

I also hope they don't put Frank at first. He will be needed all year and I really don't want to see him risking injury in the field. The Sox will have to get by without these two bats this week, IMO. Hopefully with Rowand and Dye heating up the lineup will produce enough pop to win some games.

samram
06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
The question may be moot this week because of the upcoming week in NL parks, but with Frank coming back and Dye (.391) and Everett (.412) getting hot this past week and Konerko staying cold (.200). Is it realisitic to get Everett some PT at first base possibly this week and after? IMO, it would be great to have both Frank and Carl in the line up (after this road trip).

Carl can't play first. Ozzie shouldn't just move guys around to provide offensive benefits. The Sox will score runs in Colorado, everyone does. It's best to have a good defensive team on the field in order to minimize any runs that could score due to misplays.

As for later on in the season, I still don't want Crazy at first base. Timo actually played there at some point in his career and he wasn't very good over there last Wednesday. I dread to think what Everett would do over there without having ever played there (to the best of my knowledge).

kevingrt
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't think he has any experience over there. I think he could play first with some practice, but don't know if this is the right time to try it.

I also hope they don't put Frank at first. He will be needed all year and I really don't want to see him risking injury in the field. The Sox will have to get by without these two bats this week, IMO. Hopefully with Rowand and Dye heating up the lineup will produce enough pop to win some games.

I can't believe learning how to paly first base is that hard. But there are some little things like pick off attempts, cutting off throws to the plate and such.

Now thinking about it I'd rather stick with PK at first and Gload backing him up when Ross gets back up in the majors. Frank and Carl will just have to duke it out for the DH position in the meantime.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 11:31 AM

I agree with your sentiment about Frank. I also agree that Carl should have some practice over there instead of just getting thrown it.

Before Frank came back, many assumed that if Dye was still not hitting that Carl may move to the OF. Well, it looks like Dye is heating up but Paulie...not so much.

Quite a few guys play both OF and 1B and hope that Ozzie is thinking about getting Carl some practice there to get a stronger line up (and another option at 1B) down the stretch.

But then again we are approaching the all-star break so Konerko's half-season of hitting is coming up!

jhill36
06-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Even though Konerko has been un-Konerko like so far this season his numbers against this particular pitcher are ...well, they are wonderful. You have to see them for yourself. Even I want him to play first tonight, and I was originally pulling for Frank.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Even though Konerko has been un-Konerko like so far this season his numbers against this particular pitcher are ...well, they are wonderful. You have to see them for yourself. Even I want him to play first tonight, and I was originally pulling for Frank.

I'm not really talking about tonight. I'm looking at down the road.

btw, IMO Konerko's numbers have been very "Konerko-like". He has a tendency to play half-seasons.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm not really talking about tonight. I'm looking at down the road.

btw, IMO Konerko's numbers have been very "Konerko-like". He has a tendency to play half-seasons.

These are very good problems to have. I'll have to look and see in Carl's stints with the Red Sox and others if he ever played the infield. Do you know....

wildcat
06-06-2005, 12:27 PM
These are very good problems to have. I'll have to look and see in Carl's stints with the Red Sox and others if he ever played the infield. Do you know....

According to ESPN.com, he has played 108 games at LF, 675 games at CF, and 296 games at RF. Nothing anywhere in the infield.

The Racehorse
06-06-2005, 12:36 PM
We already have Timo.

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Question is do we want him to play first

I dont want another John kruk at 1st

ma_deuce
06-06-2005, 01:55 PM

Let me fix that for you...

Much better. :redneck

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
PK has added 30 pts to his BA since May 17. He's hit in 12 of those 16 games. Having finally gotten going, I think it would be a mistake to sit him down.

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2005, 01:56 PM
He's gonna end up like that guy in the horrible 3rd major league movie, first play he's gonna reach for a ball, pull his groin and be out, unable to close his legs

jhill36
06-06-2005, 02:04 PM
According to ESPN.com, he has played 108 games at LF, 675 games at CF, and 296 games at RF. Nothing anywhere in the infield.

Thanks!

Fake Chet Lemon
06-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Have we forgotten Jose Valentin and what bad defense can do to a staff? Don't do anything to compromise the defense, ESPECIALLY in the infield. The ball will find you, just ask Timo. Sorry Carl, sorry Frank.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Have we forgotten Jose Valentin and what bad defense can do to a staff? Don't do anything to compromise the defense, ESPECIALLY in the infield. The ball will find you, just ask Timo. Sorry Carl, sorry Frank.

I have to agree. All we have to do is look at yesterday's game. Defensive lapses have cost us at least a couple of games already. To get Frank in this week we could PH in late innings I guess.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 02:10 PM

While I share your philosophy, Konerko is not a potential gold glover at first. Gload is better defensively. IMO, Carl is in better shape than PK and may be able to play first if he learns it. I'm not saying this should be permanent, but I never thought of flexibility as a bad thing. Heck, Carl could play OF 2 days, 1st 1-2 day and DH 1-2 days/week. That should be good to keep both him and Frank fresh.

Clembasbal
06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, Konerko came up as a 3B, put him at third and gload at first. This is of course after a number of groundball practice for Konerko. Maybe a month or so down the line. But I think that Crede is nothing special. He is solid in the field, but I am sure Konerko can be at least as good as Chavez or David Wright (who both are not good in the field at all).

jhill36
06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
While I share your philosophy, Konerko is not a potential gold glover at first. Gload is better defensively. IMO, Carl is in better shape than PK and may be able to play first if he learns it. I'm not saying this should be permanent, but I never thought of flexibility as a bad thing. Heck, Carl could play OF 2 days, 1st 1-2 day and DH 1-2 days/week. That should be good to keep both him and Frank fresh.

Carl has never played 1st and now he should? You lost me there.

Deadguy
06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Well, Konerko came up as a 3B, put him at third and gload at first.

Utter nonsense. Why do you think the Dodgers and Reds got rid of Paul K(ingman)onerko? Besides, he hasn't played 3B since 2000, and he was terrible there, which is why the White Sox never put him back there. Besides, why in God's name would we sacrifice that much defense just to get Gload's bat in the lineup?

Slownerko was drafted as a catcher, however, so maybe we should stick him behind the plate.

dcb33
06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Utter nonsense. Why do you think the Dodgers and Reds got rid of Paul K(ingman)onerko? Besides, he hasn't played 3B since 2000, and he was terrible there, which is why the White Sox never put him back there. Besides, why in God's name would we sacrifice that much defense just to get Gload's bat in the lineup?

Slownerko was drafted as a catcher, however, so maybe we should stick him behind the plate.

I think it'd be a good idea to change the name of this thread to Utter Nonsense. This team has won 37 games with Konerko at first, Crede at 3rd, and Carl as DH. Now all of a sudden people want to go all willy-nilly with Konerko at 3rd so that we can get Gload extra AB's or have Carl, who has never played a game in the infield his entire career, play first. :?: The risk alone for a disaster on defense with guys playing out of position would more than wipe any potential gains the offense might potentially realize.

Hasn't everyone here learned their lesson about what tinkering with things can do? Was the entire Manuel-era or watching Ozzie drag Timo out to first base not painful enough that some just have to come back asking for more?:kukoo:

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Carl has never played 1st and now he should? You lost me there.

There have been several players that were/are in the twilight of their careers that have been moved to first base from OF and catcher. I'm not saying just throw him out there, but give him some work outs there and see how he does. If he does alright, he increases his own value and his value to the Sox (by being able to play one more position).

samram
06-06-2005, 02:46 PM
He is solid in the field, but I am sure Konerko can be at least as good as Chavez or David Wright (who both are not good in the field at all).

Well, except for Chavez's four Gold Gloves and what have you.

Can I remind everyone that the Sox have the best record in baseball? Why do they have to start making drastic changes which would adversely affect them? I'm not an APaulogist, but he's the best, and only, option to play first everyday right now. Frank can't do it because of injuries, Carl can't do it because he hasn't played there, Timo can't do it because he sucks.

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2005, 03:04 PM
The question may be moot this week because of the upcoming week in NL parks, but with Frank coming back and Dye (.391) and Everett (.412) getting hot this past week and Konerko staying cold (.200). Is it realisitic to get Everett some PT at first base possibly this week and after? IMO, it would be great to have both Frank and Carl in the line up (after this road trip).This is the kind of thing you try out in spring training, not mid-season. Playing 1B is not as easy as people make it sound.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 03:18 PM
There have been several players that were/are in the twilight of their careers that have been moved to first base from OF and catcher. I'm not saying just throw him out there, but give him some work outs there and see how he does. If he does alright, he increases his own value and his value to the Sox (by being able to play one more position).

In a first half where too much of Ozzie's tinkering has many of us (and Jeff Brantley) scratching our collective heads, "trying Carl out" at first in mid-season with Minnesota right behind us would be the ultimate bonehead move.

Remember Timo Perez a few games ago?

I like the Konerko-at-3B option. That way you can platoon Gload and Thomas at 1B, Konerko increases his value (because right now he's not living up to his $8mil value), and that way Everett/Dye or Everett/Podsednik and Thomas and Konerko can all be in the lineup at the same time if Everett is OF and Thomas is DH or 1B.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 03:21 PM
In a first half where too much of Ozzie's tinkering has many of us (and Jeff Brantley) scratching our collective heads, "trying Carl out" at first in mid-season with Minnesota right behind us would be the ultimate bonehead move.

I like the Konerko-at-3B option. That way you can platoon Gload and Thomas at 1B, Konerko increases his value (because right now he's not living up to his $8mil value), and that way Everett/Dye or Everett/Podsednik and Thomas and Konerko can all be in the lineup at the same time if Everett is OF and Thomas is DH or 1B.

You would rather see Konerko at third base than Carl at first? :?:

Either way, I didn't mean to get so many panties in a wad. Just a thought that I had...

seanpmurphy
06-06-2005, 03:23 PM

Hurray for someone paying attention. If you look through the history books, Konerko is almost always terrible in May and then heats up in June through the rest of the season. Carl at 1B? No way, come on. He's a risk in the OF at times, remember when he hurt his shoulder misplaying a fly, why put him at 1B. I don't think he's got the skill to dig out a one-hopper from Crede or something else along those lines. I mean, trying to improve the team is one thing, making ridiculous suggestions is another.

Konerko will be fine. So his BA has sucked, its not like he's dragging the team down (HRs, RBIs) like Crede sans the last 2 games. :gulp:

jhill36
06-06-2005, 03:26 PM
As far as Konerko at 3B, I'm not married to it or anything. But I'd rather see THAT as opposed to Carl at 1B. And put me down as saying Konerko will have a monster game tonight.

seanpmurphy
06-06-2005, 03:29 PM
After reading some of these suggestions I'm so glad Ozzie is the Manager and not members of these forums. Not trying to offend anyone, but leave the radical moves to spring training and MLB 2005.

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2005, 03:30 PM
And put me down as saying Konerko will have a monster game tonight.

Because of the thin air? If anything, his grounders will get to the third baseman more quickly and he'll be huffing and puffing trying to run to first. The only difference I see is he'll be thrown out by ten steps instead of nine.... :redneck

samram
06-06-2005, 03:36 PM

What makes you think PK can play 3B? I know he was drafted as a third-baseman, but there's a reason he doesn't play there now- the same reason Carlos Lee, Jim Thome, and Aubrey Huff don't.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
After reading some of these suggestions I'm so glad Ozzie is the Manager and not members of these forums. Not trying to offend anyone, but leave the radical moves to spring training and MLB 2005.

Wow. A little unnecessary. Not trying to offend anyone, but maybe we should leave the discussion of baseball to the experts and just stop posting on this site. :rolleyes:

seanpmurphy
Konerko with his cat-like reflexes would be a perfect play at Third. In fact, let's go ahead and shuffle him around with Uribe at SS.

jhill36
Because of the thin air? If anything, his grounders will get to the third baseman more quickly and he'll be huffing and puffing trying to run to first. The only difference I see is he'll be thrown out by ten steps instead of nine.... :redneck

Stick to the fantasy league, buddy.

In his career against tonight's pitcher Konerko is batting .636, slugging 1.091, and his OBP is .692. Those numbers are better than anyone else's career numbers against Joe Kennedy. Do you really know your Sox or you just one of those bandwagon jumpers?

seanpmurphy
06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Wow. A little unnecessary. Not trying to offend anyone, but maybe we should leave the discussion of baseball to the experts and just stop posting on this site. :rolleyes:

In my first post I drew the line between baseball discussion and ridiculous comments. Let's go ahead and stick Pierzynski on the bases while we're at it!

I would teal that, but this thread is full of nonsense so why not add to it. :rolleyes:

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 03:48 PM

In his career against tonight's pitcher Konerko is batting .636, slugging 1.091, and his OBP is .692. Those numbers are better than anyone else's career numbers against Joe Kennedy. Do you really know your Sox or you just one of those bandwagon jumpers?

Ouch. That's a bit harsh. I sure hope that looking up stats on espn.com and then regurgitating them is not a requirement for being a fan.

Mods- I see where this is going and I apologize. I had no intention of this turning into whatever the hell this has become.

seanpmurphy
06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
THE NEW SOX LINE UP

OF - FRANK THOMAS, AJ PIERZYNSKI, AND IGUCHI
1B - EVERETT
2B - WIDGER
3B - KONERKO
SS - JOE BORCHARD
C - CREDE

Podsednik becomes out 6th starter.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Hurray for someone paying attention. If you look through the history books, Konerko is almost always terrible in May and then heats up in June through the rest of the season. :gulp:

I just looked at Paul's splits. Since 2002, he hit better before the all star break than after the all star break (2003 is the exception).

seanpmurphy
06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I just looked at Paul's splits. Since 2002, he hit better before the all star break than after the all star break (2003 is the exception).

Then I stand corrected. Yahoo Sports wil no longer be a source of info.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Ouch. That's a bit harsh. I sure hope that looking up stats on espn.com and then regurgitating them is not a requirement for being a fan.

Mods- I see where this is going and I apologize. I had no intention of this turning into whatever the hell this has become.

No it's not. But looking at matchups is a part of baseball that's all. But I guess you have an encyclopedic memory so you don't have to stoop to my level.

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2005, 04:03 PM
I just looked at Paul's splits. Since 2002, he hit better before the all star break than after the all star break (2003 is the exception).Look at the month-by-month splits (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5908).

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 04:05 PM
No it's not. But looking at matchups is a part of baseball that's all. But I guess you have an encyclopedic memory so you don't have to stoop to my level.

No I don't and I never claimed that looking up stats was stooping to a level. I never claimed to have any sort of super memory, nor IIRC, did I ever ask anyone if they were a bandwagon fan...especially a member that has been here for awhile.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Look at the month-by-month splits (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5908).

I have, and I suggest that you look at eithr the three year or past seasons...not 2005. :wink:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/players/splits3?statsId=5908&type=batting

seanpmurphy
06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Ok, I don't want to sound dumb, possibly too late, but whats IMO and IIRC?

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Ok, I don't want to sound dumb, possibly too late, but whats IMO and IIRC?

No problem.

IMO = In my opinion also used is IMHO = In my Humble Opinion
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
I have, and I suggest that you look at eithr the three year or past seasons...not 2005. :wink:Back to seanmurphy's point, if you look at the 3-yr composite, May is clearly his worst month. That goes back farther than 2002, IIRC.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Back to seanmurphy's point, if you look at the 3-yr composite, May is clearly his worst month. That goes back farther than 2002, IIRC.

But looking at the composite, April is his best month. That kills the theory that he starts slow and heats up.

tstrike2000
06-06-2005, 04:27 PM
He is solid in the field, but I am sure Konerko can be at least as good as Chavez or David Wright (who both are not good in the field at all).

Was your quote meant to be in teal? I don't know about David Wright, but if you are talking about Eric Chavez, he's won 4 straight gold gloves at 3B.

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2005, 04:29 PM
But looking at the composite, April is his best month. That kills the theory that he starts slow and heats up.And he's followed that pattern this year (more or less). He started out like a house afire for a couple of weeks, then went into a funk for a month. Since mid-May he's been hitting pretty well again. He's almost certain to have at least one more slump before the end of the year, but I'll bet by the time the season's over he's pretty close to his usual numbers.

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2005, 05:53 PM

Just so you know...

I've been a White Sox fan since 1983 when I was seven years old. I consistently have been "on the bandwagon" with the Sox since that time. I have a 3'X5' Sox flag in my office and when I was 10 I threw out the first pitch at a Sox game. I had my bachelor party at a Sox-Rangers game in Arlington in 2000 (the Sox lost) and attend one game per series when the Sox visit Texas. I also schedule my summer trips to visit my parents in Chicago around Sox homestands. I do not play fantasy baseball. I sometimes check stats and splits at ESPN.com, but didn't in this case. I guess I'm not much of a fan, though.

(and if they don't win tonight, I'll be living in a van down by the river...) :tongue:

As for tonight's matchup, I wish Konerko well and hope he goes 6 for 6 by hitting three grand slams while also hitting for the cycle, because it would help the Sox win. My original post in this thread was to make light of Konerko's recent struggles in general and his penchant for grounding out to the third baseman in particular, not to make fun of your prediction of a "monster night" for him. Hence, the :redneck smiley. You easily could have explained his numbers against Joe Kennedy without resorting to speculation-based insults.

:cool:

Clembasbal
06-06-2005, 11:50 PM

Yeah, well...I don't know what I was thinking. I am just an idiot. Is there an idiot of the month award?

Clembasbal
06-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Was your quote meant to be in teal? I don't know about David Wright, but if you are talking about Eric Chavez, he's won 4 straight gold gloves at 3B.

I know this, but this year he is far from great. IN fact it is .938 with a range factor below average too.

I mentioned his name because there has been talk of getting him.

Probably just having an all-around terrible year. Relax all. I am done with this thread.

ma_deuce
06-07-2005, 01:00 AM

Wow. Just 38 posts and your making friends left and right.

http://www.jasonwoodson.com/pics/renaissance/aaron-turkey-leg.jpg

TaylorStSox
06-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Did somebody say Chavez isn't a good 3rd baseman? Ummmm......Wow!!!

PK is the worst 3rd baseman I've ever seen, literally. Keep the team the way it is. We're doing okay.

jhill36
06-07-2005, 09:29 AM

I told you Konerko would have a good game.

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2005, 10:50 AM
I told you Konerko would have a good game.

And I am extremely pleased that you were right and I was wrong. Let's hope Paulie keeps it up tonight and Wednesday night - and stays hot through the San Diego series, too.

:bandance:

I've just been "burned" hoping for consistent excellence from Paulie for so long that I've grown accustomed to his penchant for having his great stretches interrupted by even longer valleys of near-worthlessness.

Still, good job Paulie and good call on predicting his great hitting clinic last night.

jhill36
06-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Frater, you are a good sport and I feel almost bad for being right. I haven't been a Sox fan as long as you (only about half your time) but I've followed Paulie's career closely since he's been here.

I share a lot of the same frustrations with Paulie. But then I remember that I don't want to be fooled by his low average into thinking he's not doing a pretty consistent job of driving in runs. Sure, would I like him to be putting up Miguel Tejada numbers? Of course. But he's leading our team in some important categories, like total bases. He's .... he's coming around.

I didn't mean any ill will! I think of us as one big Sox family and I have a good feeling about this season. Let's ride this winning wave into the summer together!

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2005, 12:11 PM
I think of us as one big Sox family and I have a good feeling about this season. Let's ride this winning wave into the summer together!

I'll drink to that! Cheers!

:gulp:

Let's hope Paulie lights it up again tonight, too!

:cool:

And thanks to everyone for not letting this thread get roadhoused!

:supernana:

Flight #24
06-07-2005, 12:15 PM
While I don't see it happening (and Southtown reports KW's already laid groundwork for a Carl trade), if indeed they want to replace Paulie's bat with Carl, I'd do it this way: Shift Dye to 1B and Carl to the OF. Yes, you dropoff D at 2 positions instead of 1, but Carl can play OF - I don't think he has the athleticism to adjust at 1B. Dye is a far better athlete, is a lot bigger so makes a better target at 1B, and I think he came up in the infield early on so I think he'd probablyhave an easier time adjusting.

But unlikely regardless. Especially if Konerko can maintain the .287 that he's hit since 5/15 rather than the .215 or whatever he hit before that. I'm not 100% sold that it's not a minor hot streak, but there's little I'd like more than to see Paulie get hot. Add that to Frank getting consistent ABs and the stats that will guarantee and the O will be pretty damn good.

seanpmurphy
06-07-2005, 01:08 PM
While I don't see it happening (and Southtown reports KW's already laid groundwork for a Carl trade),

Is he going to stay traded this time? :D:

Flight #24
06-07-2005, 01:10 PM

Well, I think we may just have had it wrong these past few years. Kenny just has a jones for a trade involving Carl Everett, not necessarily trading for Carl himself!

voodoochile
06-07-2005, 01:11 PM

:KW
"Carl trade? Carl Everett? Why would there be a trade in the works for Carl Everett? We already have him on the team...:?:"

ma_deuce
06-08-2005, 11:33 AM
:everett:

"I have a trade option in my contract. If you trade me, you have to take me back the next year at midseason. Also, you cannot trade me to a team I have not seen or that isn't mentioned in the Good Book."

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2005, 11:42 AM
:everett:

"I have a trade option in my contract. If you trade me, you have to take me back the next year at midseason. Also, you cannot trade me to a team I have not seen or that isn't mentioned in the Good Book."

Carl can only be traded here because "White Sox" appears in the eighth chapter of the Book of Numbers.

ShoelessJoeS
06-08-2005, 11:58 AM
why would we try and experiment with carl at first when we have timo!?