PDA

View Full Version : Frank or Paulie....HELP!

jhill36
06-06-2005, 09:29 AM
In his career AJ Pierzynski vs. the Rockies' Joe Kennedy:
BA AB H 2B 3B HR OBP SLG

.308134211 .333 .846

Frank Thomas vs. Joe Kennedy:
.28672001 .375 .714
Here is my wish lineup for tonight's game at Coors:

Pods LF
Tad 2B
Thomas 1B ........

this is where I run into trouble because look at Paulie's #s vs. Kennedy: .636117201 .692

wow....HELP!

Konerko or Thomas? Who do you play?

ps. dont forget AJ...he should probably bat 5th

bluestar
06-06-2005, 09:35 AM
I just don't think Ozzie is going to risk putting Frank at 1B this week. I know a lot of people want to see it, but I'll be surprised if it happens.

iwcup
06-06-2005, 09:35 AM
I thought frank said he wasnt really ready to play the field...
the lateral movment playing first could set him back...

Like him coming off the bench to PH if needed...

jhill36
06-06-2005, 09:39 AM
I just don't think Ozzie is going to risk putting Frank at 1B this week. I know a lot of people want to see it, but I'll be surprised if it happens.

You need to read today's article in the Sun-Times. Ozzie said specifically that he is not ruling out putting Frank at first, saying:

"If we play him in the field, it's because we need him,'' Guillen said Sunday. ''I think Frank is willing to do what we think is good for the team. He knows what we want to do here. It's all about winning. I don't want him to sit for six days. That's why it's hard for us to play in the National League.''

So I return to my original query...based on the numbers, what should the lineup look like?

tschneid83
06-06-2005, 09:45 AM
"If we play him in the field, it's because we need him,'' Guillen said Sunday. ''I think Frank is willing to do what we think is good for the team. He knows what we want to do here. It's all about winning. I don't want him to sit for six days. That's why it's hard for us to play in the National League.''

I believe "it's because we need him" refers to if something happens to konerko or if we need to pinch run for PK, then frank might be stuck playing first. I dont see frank starting at 1B and i dont think ozzie does either. Whos knows though maybe im wrong

Deadguy
06-06-2005, 09:46 AM
I seriously doubt Thomas plays 1st base in this series. Thomas is too valuable a commodity to risk in a series against one of the worst teams in baseball. Konerko should be at 1st base.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Hate this dilemma. Well, PK has the best numbers against this guy. I guess PK should start.

Dangit!

ma_deuce
06-06-2005, 10:00 AM
This is a no-brainer. Frank cannot play first these days, so its Paulie.

Deuce

gobears1987
06-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Frank won't play DH, but he will likely get an AB each game. With interleague play you have a ton of PH due to the fact you don't want a pitcher batting, especially if he is going to be pulled the next inning anyways. Paulie can play first, and we can't put Frank at 1st. IIRC, playing 1st is how he injured his ankle. If both were healthy, I'd rather have Frank, but due to injury Paulie gets the nod.

TomBradley72
06-06-2005, 10:13 AM
It's no debate regardless of who's pitching...Konerko should be at 1b every game of this road trip..especially since they have a day off on Thursday...most of the Sox losses this year have been when we've had defensive lapse or two that causes us to blow the game...the ball WILL find Frank and it won't be pretty. Where he is as a hitter right now...he's not going to bring a whole lot more offense then Paulie. Use him as a PH each game....maybe a double switch late in the game if we're completely backed in a corner.

voodoochile
06-06-2005, 10:25 AM
I seriously doubt Thomas plays 1st base in this series. Thomas is too valuable a commodity to risk in a series against one of the worst teams in baseball. Konerko should be at 1st base.

I agree. Frank's days in the field should be over, IMO. It's one week and then the Sox are done with this pitcher batting crap for the rest of the season. Hope the pitching performs up to expectations and that the bats who have heated up recently stay hot.

Don't risk Frank...

jhill36
06-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Frank won't play DH, but he will likely get an AB each game. With interleague play you have a ton of PH due to the fact you don't want a pitcher batting, especially if he is going to be pulled the next inning anyways. Paulie can play first, and we can't put Frank at 1st. IIRC, playing 1st is how he injured his ankle. If both were healthy, I'd rather have Frank, but due to injury Paulie gets the nod.

That makes sense I suppose. It's just hard for Frank to break out if he's getting maybe 2 PAs in a game as opposed to 5 or more. I'm just glad he hit that homer yesterday to remind Ozzie that you cant forget about him.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 10:29 AM
I agree. Frank's days in the field should be over, IMO. It's one week and then the Sox are done with this pitcher batting crap for the rest of the season. Hope the pitching performs up to expectations and that the bats who have heated up recently stay hot.

Don't risk Frank...

Actually it's more than one week. We have several games against NL teams this month.

voodoochile
06-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Actually it's more than one week. We have several games against NL teams this month.

Aren't the rest at USCF?

Edit: Yes, they are. This is the only week left where the Sox do not get a DH.

kevingrt
06-06-2005, 10:30 AM
It's no debate regardless of who's pitching...Konerko should be at 1b every game of this road trip..especially since they have a day off on Thursday...most of the Sox losses this year have been when we've had defensive lapse or two that causes us to blow the game...the ball WILL find Frank and it won't be pretty. Where he is as a hitter right now...he's not going to bring a whole lot more offense then Paulie. Use him as a PH each game....maybe a double switch late in the game if we're completely backed in a corner.

I totally agree with you. There is no point in risking Frank this week. Just have him come off the bench as a pinch hitter. I know he hates this role and is not that great at it but there is nothing better we can do with him. This one week of the season is not as important as August and Septemeber when we will need Frank the most. Keep his rested and healthy now whether he likes it or not.

As for Carl switch him in the outfield with JD, Rowand, and Pods. Try to get him three starts or so during this interleague series.

But right now we have a "good" problem if there is anything such as that. Too many historically strong hitters that are due to come around and to little playing time for all of them.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Aren't the rest at USCF?

Edit: Yes, they are. This is the only week left where the Sox do not get a DH.

Yeah you're right. So when they play at our parks we can use the DH again, right? That's how it works?

voodoochile
06-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah you're right. So when they play at our parks we can use the DH again, right? That's how it works?

Home team gets league rules. Yes, there will be a DH when the teams play at USCF.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 10:33 AM

Yep and so do they. But you would thik that the "purists' of the NL would decide not to use the DH and just have the pitcher bat anyway.

jhill36
06-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Well then I won't panic. Somehow it will all work out. So let Paulie play at first and hopefully continue to just pound Kennedy. I can't wait to see if AJ is high in the lineup based on the numbers. I know based on watching how Ozzie does things that he pays attention to those numbers.

Can AJ bat cleanup?