PDA

View Full Version : We need to win the World Series THIS week!!!!

Hangar18
06-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Ozzies weird sunday lineups and bad attitudes regarding sweeping teams
is going to put this teams lead in jeopardy. We should be leading the division
by 8 games at least ...........but our leads only 3 because of some very stupid moves. Frank looked very good in a few ab's yesterday, Its time he played 1b for us.

Baby Fisk
06-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Frank looked very good in a few ab's yesterday, Its time he played 1b for us.
I don't think we'll be seeing that. IIRC, aren't Frank's days as a fielder over? :?: With the best record in baseball, it's not exactly desperation time for the Sox. Plus we are going to Coors, where even Willie Harris could knock out three HRs on a given night (sending Bafiarocks into a frenzy no doubt).

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 07:53 AM
by 8 games at least ...........but our leads only 3 because of some very stupid moves. Frank looked very good in a few ab's yesterday, Its time he played 1b for us.

Henry, I don't know that he can. I read something somewhere (I know, good reference) where Ozzie asked Frank to take some balls at 1st and Frank said that he had difficulty moving laterally.

btw...I had no problem with yesterday's line up and I don't recall any "bad attitude" from Ozzie about sweeping teams.

ondafarm
06-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Having played a 120 plus game season, I can tell you it gets exhausting. Everybody deserves a day off now and then, I'd say one or two a week depending on position should be a goal. Catchers two days, outfielders one and a half, infielders one. I'd rather see several players get those at once than one at a time and a lot of lefty-righty situations also determine that. As to sweeping teams, I've never heard Ozzie say anything bad about it. From a player's side though I can say, getting swept 10-2 for three hurts but getting swept 5-4 three straight just angers everybody. You come back the next series against those guys with a big chip on your shoulder and looking for blood. Losing 2 outta 3 happens.

Dibbs
06-06-2005, 08:15 AM
I am so sick of this day off garbage. Some guys got the day off Wednesday, Thursday was an off day, and now people need more rest on Sunday?!?! That is crazy. Pods definately should have been in the lineup yesterday. I agree with the first post that we should be many more games up in the division lead, but we aren't due to poor decisions in my opinion. Ripken played in 2,632 straight games....I don't want to here anymore about this day off crap. Wouldn't it be nice if your boss came up to you once or twice a week and said, "Go home, you need the day off."

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 08:19 AM
I am so sick of this day off garbage. Some guys got the day off Wednesday, Thursday was an off day, and now people need more rest on Sunday?!?! That is crazy. Pods definately should have been in the lineup yesterday. I agree with the first post that we should be many more games up in the division lead, but we aren't due to poor decisions in my opinion. Ripken played in 2,632 straight games....I don't want to here anymore about this day off crap. Wouldn't it be nice if your boss came up to you once or twice a week and said, "Go home, you need the day off."

Instead of looking at it as Pods needing the day off, how about the thought that maybe Ozzie wanted to give both Frank and Carl a playing day before going on the road to NL parks for the week...where they won't see many AB's. (except to pinch hit).

JRIG
06-06-2005, 08:24 AM

Seven times this season the White Sox have won the first two games of a series but dropped the third.

And if Manuel was still around and putting out the lineups Ozzie is on these "sweep opportunity" games, we'd be ripping him up and down.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Instead of looking at it as Pods needing the day off, how about the thought that maybe Ozzie wanted to give both Frank and Carl a playing day before going on the road to NL parks for the week...where they won't see many AB's. (except to pinch hit).

You're far too rational a person to be posting in this thread, PH13.

Some people simply can't deal with the fact a baseball season lasts 6 months and consists of 162 games. They want to win the World Series in June. So they bitch bitch bitch about anything they perceive as costing us a world championship... as those this were the Bears fumbling on 4th and goal to lose their Week 10 game to Minnesota.

No. ****ing. Clue. These. People.

Hangar18
06-06-2005, 08:39 AM

Pods shouldve played yesterday. If they were worried about getting Frank and Carl work, then Dye or Konerko shouldve grabbed some bench. I really see fault with not running Pods in the 8th when Konerko was on base .........
Pods wouldve stole 2nd at the least. Konerko running the bases late innings
was an awful move

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Pods shouldve played yesterday. If they were worried about getting Frank and Carl work, then Dye or Konerko shouldve grabbed some bench. I really see fault with not running Pods in the 8th when Konerko was on base .........
Pods wouldve stole 2nd at the least. Konerko running the bases late innings
was an awful move

Then who comes in to replace Konerko at 1st? Do you really want Timo Perez out there again?

Hangar18
06-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Then who comes in to replace Konerko at 1st? Do you really want Timo Perez out there again?

Frank Thomas. Hes quietly been asking to play 1b. Now theres mention
that he cant play 1b, but he was talking this weekend about needing to play
to get the rust and kinks out.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Frank Thomas. Hes quietly been asking to play 1b. Now theres mention
that he cant play 1b, but he was talking this weekend about needing to play
to get the rust and kinks out.

Really?

Here is my reference:

Prior to Saturday's game, manager Ozzie Guillen spoke of Thomas continuing to take ground balls at first and figuring out if it was possible to get him in the field at Coors Field and Petco Park. Thomas all but ruled out that possibility shortly after Guillen talked, pointing out that he's coming off of a major injury and still not moving well laterally from left to right.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050605&content_id=1076064&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

LauraJ14
06-06-2005, 09:49 AM

The only difference is that most people who work have 2 scheduled days off each week, while baseball players do not.

balke
06-06-2005, 10:17 AM
:threadblows:

... Who thinks this stuff up?

CHISOXFAN13
06-06-2005, 10:39 AM

So according to your math, we should be 42-14 at least?

WOW. It's amazing to me how many people on this site believe we should win every game. The opposing team never plays well. It's always Ozzie's fault, never anything the opponent does.

Yesterday was not a weird lineup. One regular was replaced for someone who needed to play to avoid some serious rust in the coming week, while the other, is hitting .225. Hardly, a criminal act.

Hangar18
06-06-2005, 10:56 AM
So according to your math, we should be 42-14 at least?

WOW. It's amazing to me how many people on this site believe we should win every game. The opposing team never plays well. It's always Ozzie's fault, never anything the opponent does.

Yesterday was not a weird lineup. One regular was replaced for someone who needed to play to avoid some serious rust in the coming week, while the other, is hitting .225. Hardly, a criminal act.

Letting Konerko run in the 8th inning was the criminal act ..........

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2005, 11:01 AM

:rolleyes:
You know something, it's posts like this one that has you this close

> <

to getting a Dark Cloud thread all of your own, Hangar.

:kukoo:

zach23
06-06-2005, 11:52 AM

So your plan was to pinch run for Konerko and replace him with Thomas at 1B? So now with the DH playing the field, the pitcher has to bat if the game goes extras. And there was no guarantee that having Pods pinch run would have resulted in a run.
I can just imagine the raging that would go on if the Sox were sending pitchers to the plate in an extra inning game because Ozzie had to put his DH in the field.

Dibbs
06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
The only difference is that most people who work have 2 scheduled days off each week, while baseball players do not.

Well, lucky you if it's the only difference. I certainly don't get off work October through February.

SOXSINCE'70
06-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Most Sox fans will tell you they knew the Twinks would be there
all year battling it out with the Sox.An 8 game lead in June
just doesn't happen unless you're the '84 Tigers.

Hangar,you can't win the WS in June.Try and relax.
And people say I'M suicidal after a loss.:roflmao: :roflmao:

ma_deuce
06-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Well, lucky you if it's the only difference. I certainly don't get off work October through February.

Dude, most players do not just take that time off. They play in other leagues, and/or bust thier humps working out so that they can be competative the following year. Many of the lower paid players even do outside work to make some extra scratch. Not every player is David Wells, spending the off season getting even fatter than before.

Playing any sport is rough on your body. In time, you will hurt, and only time will make you whole. A day off every now and then gives a player a chance to recoop, as well as it keeps the 2nd string guys loose. Besides, we are going to need Carl in the outfield during interleague, so he needs to have a bit a playing time to get back into the groove of things after mostly DHing.

I don't want to lose key players midseason to injuries, like we did last year. We have a good chnce to make something happen this year, and we need everyone healthy in Sept/Oct. Part of that comes from not overplaying them in April/May/June/July/August.

Deuce

Dibbs
06-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Dude, most players do not just take that time off. They play in other leagues, and/or bust thier humps working out so that they can be competative the following year. Many of the lower paid players even do outside work to make some extra scratch. Not every player is David Wells, spending the off season getting even fatter than before.
Deuce

Sorry, they lift weights in the offseason. Guess what Duece, I lift weights year round and play softball, basketball, raquetball etc....all on top of my job.

I guess some people are different than others....I would not want days off EVER if I were in the major leagues....unless of course I was injured. I have played many sports day in and day out and never needed a "rest." You rest when your dead. Plus, look at the schedule...they get days off already (see Thursday and Wed for many players). These guys can't play three days in a row??? Not everyone is going to be Cal Ripken, but please!!!...and don't kid yourself Deuce, these guys take plenty of time off in the offseason.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 12:56 PM

Playing any sport is rough on your body. In time, you will hurt, and only time will make you whole. A day off every now and then gives a player a chance to recoop, as well as it keeps the 2nd string guys loose. Besides, we are going to need Carl in the outfield during interleague, so he needs to have a bit a playing time to get back into the groove of things after mostly DHing.

I don't want to lose key players midseason to injuries, like we did last year. We have a good chnce to make something happen this year, and we need everyone healthy in Sept/Oct. Part of that comes from not overplaying them in April/May/June/July/August.

Deuce

Thanks deuce for pointing that out.

I also want to add that from February through October...baseball is their LIFE. Nope, it's not just a slogan. When they are the road, it is literally that. At home, these guys don't get home until 1 or 2 and are at the park usually by 2 or 3 the next day. That sure leaves them a lot of time for extra curricular activities. This isn't even taking into account PR stuff that they have to do. I know everyone thinks that these guys live a charmed life, and maybe they do...but IMO they did work their asses off to get there and many continue to do so to stay there sacrificing "little" things that we take for granted.

ma_deuce
06-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Sorry, they lift weights in the offseason. Guess what Duece, I lift weights year round and play softball, basketball, raquetball etc....all on top of my job.

I guess some people are different than others....I would not want days off EVER if I were in the major leagues....unless of course I was injured. I have played many sports day in and day out and never needed a "rest." You rest when your dead. Plus, look at the schedule...they get days off already (see Thursday and Wed for many players). These guys can't play three days in a row??? Not everyone is going to be Cal Ripken, but please!!!...and don't kid yourself Deuce, these guys take plenty of time off in the offseason.

Reread your post, Dibbs... you are the one who is kidding yourself. What you do for recreation is not automatically the equivalent of what players do for thier profession. Training yourself to the skill level to play in the majors and maintaining that throughout 162 games or more and throughout the offseason is work. Hard work.

To quote Tom Hanks in A League of Thier Own: "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."

Last month, the team had two days off. Two! Thats a lot to ask from anyone. Part of being a good manager is knowing when to let your players rest, so that you can count on them when you are in a bind or down the stretch. So if Ozzie thinks that Pods needs a break, well then thats what he needs. If he's wrong, then the record will reflect it. So far, the best record in the Majors tells me that Ozzie knows best.

Deuce

Tekijawa
06-06-2005, 01:32 PM
I read the Title of this thread and thought to myself..... MY GOD WHAT HAS BUD SELIG DONE NOW? While I waited for my Pentium 0 Computer here at work I began to worry, quietly at first and then aloud in utter terror that Bud had rearranged the schedule so that the World Series was played in June and the winning league would get the all Star game in one of their Cities and would have a month to plan and set up for the event... Luckily the link kicked in soon enough to where serious injury was avoided...

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Well, lucky you if it's the only difference. I certainly don't get off work October through February.My advice: Learn to hit a 95 mph fastball breaking in on your hands and you, too can have October through February off.

skottyj242
06-06-2005, 01:44 PM
You have a Pentium 0 computer?

skottyj242
06-06-2005, 01:44 PM
My advice: Learn to hit a 95 mph fastball breaking in on your hands and you, too can have October through February off.

I don't think half our team can do that.

spiffie
06-06-2005, 02:05 PM
My advice: Learn to hit a 95 mph fastball breaking in on your hands and you, too can have October through February off.

I promise if I learn I'll teach Crede ASAP!

Tekijawa
06-06-2005, 02:05 PM
You have a Pentium 0 computer?

The Vacuum tubes are about the size of a softball!

Hangar18
06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
So your plan was to pinch run for Konerko and replace him with Thomas at 1B? So now with the DH playing the field, the pitcher has to bat if the game goes extras. And there was no guarantee that having Pods pinch run would have resulted in a run.

Konerko singles in the 8th. I immediately pinch run him. With Everett
hitting, I have Pods do what he does best ...... Steal 2nd. Yes, theres no
guarantee he will make it, but the odds are strong that he would get 2nd for me. Getting him to 2nd takes us out of a potential DP, Konerkos speed
wouldnt help us here. Also, Should Everett hit for xtra bases, Pods has a higher chance of scoring thank Konerko from first base. Also, with
Widger due up, we can pinchhit him and put Pierzynski in.

Konerko takes a ride on the bench, Pods to LF where Everett was, and Frank Moves to 1B for Konerko. Instead, we dragged the game out, burned thru the bullpen just in time for our roadtrip to the NL. Thats what I was mad about. I would definitely give Paulie some time off and let Frank hit and play 1b.
Whats funny, is the very next time this situation came up, Ozzy did the exact same thing I was screaming for him to do back in the 8th. My cousin
laughed and said "hes playing for xtra innings", and I laughed wondering
what Baines was doing the whole time. Oh well. We won 2 of 3 right?

zach23
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Konerko singles in the 8th. I immediately pinch run him. With Everett
hitting, I have Pods do what he does best ...... Steal 2nd. Yes, theres no
guarantee he will make it, but the odds are strong that he would get 2nd for me. Getting him to 2nd takes us out of a potential DP, Konerkos speed
wouldnt help us here. Also, Should Everett hit for xtra bases, Pods has a higher chance of scoring thank Konerko from first base. Konerko takes a ride on the bench, Pods to LF where Everett was, and Frank Moves to 1B for Konerko. Instead, we dragged the game out, burned thru the bullpen
just in time for our roadtrip to the NL. Thats what I was mad about. I would definitely give Paulie some time off and let Frank hit and play 1b.

And Everett might also strike out and strand Pods on base.
So you would put your DH in the field and force pitchers to bat in an extra inning game? Wow.

D. TODD
06-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Pods sitting made perfect sense to me with Sabbathia on the mound. He came in to pinch run as the potential winning run by the way and promptly got into scoring position.. There is no way Ozzie could pinch run for Konerko in a tied game, leaving the team vulnerable to the pitches spot batting in the event of extra innings. I liked how Ozzie used his bench in the late innings, If A.J.'s frozen rope isn't right at the first baseman it would have worked to perfection.

Johnny Mostil
06-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Better yet: learn to throw a 95 mph fastball breaking in on a batter's hands and only work one day in five from March through October . . .

AZChiSoxFan
06-06-2005, 04:37 PM

Beautiful. I can totally see the perfect analogy you've drawn between a baseball player and a typical worker.

DaleJRFan
06-06-2005, 04:42 PM

Hangar, you are a tough customer.

The second Thomas plays first base is the second Ozzie should be fired. Remember how he broke his foot?? *****.

Just because Ozzie parades the scrubs and bench warmers out there every once in a while and the Sox lose a few games coincidentally, doesn't justify an anti-Ozzie rant... jeez. The Sox came back and almost won the damn game. Ozzie didn't walk two batters and promptly throw the ball into left field. Hermanson did. Rage on him instead.

http://www.lucidnoir.com/pictures/fireozzieteal.jpg

Dibbs
06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Last month, the team had two days off. Two! Thats a lot to ask from anyone. Part of being a good manager is knowing when to let your players rest, so that you can count on them when you are in a bind or down the stretch. So if Ozzie thinks that Pods needs a break, well then thats what he needs. If he's wrong, then the record will reflect it. So far, the best record in the Majors tells me that Ozzie knows best.

Deuce

Too bad last month is not this month. You obviously think these guys need to have one or two days off a week, where I think they should play pretty much everyday. Everyone has their opinions. An old dude like Frank I could see getting a days rest once a week, but not guys that are 24-34 years old.

FarWestChicago
06-06-2005, 04:47 PM
:rolleyes:
You know something, it's posts like this one that has you this close

> <

to getting a Dark Cloud thread all of your own, Hangar.

:kukoo::thumbsup:

You won't get any argument from me. Hangar is flat out nuts. :o:

DumpJerry
06-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Come on Hangar, take a step back from the ledge.....however should you leap, please leave your season tickets to me.

Seriously, WE STILL HAVE THE BEST RECORD IN THE WHOLE MLB! Take a deep breath everyone. We stand to win about 100 games, the Twinks stand to be the Wild Card. Ok, let's just sit back, strap it down and enjoy the season (and pray for the Flubs' June swoon real soon!).

Anyone need a paper bag?

ilsox7
06-06-2005, 05:49 PM
You're far too rational a person to be posting in this thread, PH13.

Some people simply can't deal with the fact a baseball season lasts 6 months and consists of 162 games. They want to win the World Series in June. So they bitch bitch bitch about anything they perceive as costing us a world championship... as those this were the Bears fumbling on 4th and goal to lose their Week 10 game to Minnesota.

No. ****ing. Clue. These. People.

Best. Post. Ever.

soxwon
06-06-2005, 09:52 PM

do you realise we have lost only 3 series this year.
oak-tampa-texas
and split 2.
HONESTly we cant play any better than that.