PDA

View Full Version : So it begins.....

Parrothead
06-06-2005, 12:18 AM
I bought the Suntimes today and looked at the back page......Boston coming to Chicago this upcoming weekend. Thank god I am going San Diego this weekend to see the Sox out there. I don't think I could take a whole week of Boston is coming to Chicago for the first time.

I wonder if the Sox vs Dodgers will get the same treatment.:rolleyes:

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Man, this is going to be awesome.

Boston NEVER gets to play Chicago teams in baseball.

ROCK ON.

ShoelessJoeS
06-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Man, this is going to be awesome.

ROCK ON.
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: were gonna witness history, how lucky!

Chisox003
06-06-2005, 01:37 AM
One moment.....
:chunks

Now ask me how much I care....

Comparable to the second coming of Christ? I think not! Give me the Bo Sox and Cubbiiiiiiies!

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2005, 04:30 AM
God why do i sense non stop references to Babe ruths "called shot" comin, YES he was a yankee when it "happened" but cubs PR wont care a diddly

Viva Medias B's
06-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Who cares about the aura of the Red Sox coming to Wrigley Field. Let's just hope Boston beats the Cubs senseless.

Hangar18
06-06-2005, 08:34 AM
I bought the Suntimes today and looked at the back page......Boston coming to Chicago this upcoming weekend. Thank god I am going San Diego this weekend to see the Sox out there. I don't think I could take a whole week of Boston is coming to Chicago for the first time.

MAN, im also glad I wont be anywhere near Chicago, for the media going HOG WILD. Has anyone seen the last couple of Tribs? Theyre running Red Sox featurettes, with the sub byline "The Red Sox are Coming! The Red Sox are Coming!". What a bunch of bs...........

skobabe8
06-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I believe it was B&B who are doing live remotes from Lakeview all week and have labeled their show "1 Curse Down, 1 To Go."

Tekijawa
06-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I believe it was B&B who are doing live remotes from Lakeview all week and have labeled their show "1 Curse Down, 1 To Go."

Wouldn't that imply the Cubs only have one curse? At my last count they had at least three that they've been trying to get rid of? Goat, Bartman and the Black Cat? I could have missed a few?!?!?

dcb33
06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Who cares about the aura of the Red Sox coming to Wrigley Field. Let's just hope Boston beats the Cubs senseless.

As painful as it might be, I'm rooting for the Cubs this weekend. Let's not lose total perspective, folks. Although watching the Cubs fall flat is always an enjoyable experience, Boston is a contender in the American League East and for the Wild Card. The better Red Cubs do, the more difficult it will be for the Sox to win the Wild Card should the unthinkable happen and the Twins overtake the Sox in the standings.

cheeses_h_rice
06-06-2005, 03:37 PM
As painful as it might be, I'm rooting for the Cubs this weekend. Let's not lose total perspective, folks. Although watching the Cubs fall flat is always an enjoyable experience, Boston is a contender in the American League East and for the Wild Card. The better Red Cubs do, the more difficult it will be for the Sox to win the Wild Card should the unthinkable happen and the Twins overtake the Sox in the standings.

I agree, as much as this pains me. I've been rooting for all the good AL teams to achieve mediocrity so that there is a fallback position for the Sox down the stretch if the Twins pass them.

samram
06-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I agree, as much as this pains me. I've been rooting for all the good AL teams to achieve mediocrity so that there is a fallback position for the Sox down the stretch if the Twins pass them.

Damn you, making me see reason in rooting for the Cubs.:D:

D. TODD
06-06-2005, 03:49 PM
I can't root for the Cubs, but I won't actively be rooting for the Red Sox either. I'll just be happy when all of the interleague games are over! All of my attention will be on the first place White Sox having to play without a DH, in those damned national league parks.

Uncle_Patrick
06-06-2005, 03:53 PM

I am actually waiting to hear someone say "This is the first time Boston has visited Chicago" the way people said "This is the Yankees first trip to Chicago since..." (whatever year it was, I can't remember) when the Yankees played the Cubs a couple of years back. Because, as we know, these two teams don't have any other reason as to why they might play in Chicago every year.

voodoochile
06-06-2005, 04:16 PM

Actually, I kind of hope the opposite happens for WC reasons.

TomBradley72
06-06-2005, 06:19 PM

CAN'T COMPUTE....MY BRAIN WILL EXPLODE.

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I have no probs rootin for the redsox, the redsox are my 3rd fave AL team behind the whitesox and oakland, boston has always had a good fun team to watch. 1 series with the cubs aint gonna make or break the AL east

soxwon
06-06-2005, 10:49 PM

Dont even consider the wild card.
We must and will win the division, perish the thought of the twins taking over,
no way, no how.
Its OUR MAGIC year!!!!
Dont you realise that?

and go boston, beat the hell out of the cubs.
only time i root for the cubs is if they play the twins.

PeteWard
06-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Great! Let them hype it.Meanwhile they will be swept by Toronto:D:

MUsoxfan
06-07-2005, 01:20 AM
I have no real problem with Boston. I even bought a "Fisk 27" jersey shirt out there last year that I will be sporting this weekend.

Let's go Red Saux!

Foulke You
06-07-2005, 01:49 AM
Don't worry, I'm quite sure the LA Dodgers FIRST VISIT to Chicago since the 1959 World Series will be covered every bit as much as the Red Sox/Cubs series! I don't have any doubts about that. I'm sure there will be remotes from Comiskey and wall to wall media coverage!

Cubbiesuck13
06-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Actually, I kind of hope the opposite happens for WC reasons.

Am I the only one who is disgusted by the fact that we have to think like this? Bud Selig has abolished the penant race and replaced it with the 'lets hope we don't skid so bad we loose the wild card' forcing us to root for a team that most SOX fans really can't stand. What should happen (besides not having interleage play) is us rooting for the BoSox to whoop the flubs and only worried about our division. I hate that Bud Selig is calling the shots.

Viva Medias B's
06-07-2005, 07:59 AM
We don't need the Cubs to beat the Red Sox this weekend to help us with Wild Card insurance. There is more than half of the rest of the season which will have a bigger impact on the WC issue than this weekend series. Let's hope the Cardinals first hammer Boston who, in turn, hopefully hammers the Cubs this weekend.

cubhater
06-07-2005, 08:16 AM

Good point. I'm not going to watch a single second of this historic event and pray for rain just to laugh at the mopes who dearly overpaid for tickets.

ThatGuyOnTheL
06-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Good point. I'm not going to watch a single second of this historic event and pray for rain just to laugh at the mopes who dearly overpaid for tickets.

As for me, I'll be rooting for lightning to hit the Urinal.

Cubbiesuck13
06-07-2005, 08:50 AM
As for me, I'll be rooting for lightning to hit the Urinal.

Don't you do that on a regular basis? I know I do although I fret for the health risk involved in shocking a piss soaked building.

voodoochile
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Am I the only one who is disgusted by the fact that we have to think like this? Bud Selig has abolished the penant race and replaced it with the 'lets hope we don't skid so bad we loose the wild card' forcing us to root for a team that most SOX fans really can't stand. What should happen (besides not having interleage play) is us rooting for the BoSox to whoop the flubs and only worried about our division. I hate that Bud Selig is calling the shots.

Doesn't bother me to have two opportunities to make the playoffs. I am not that worried about losing the division but it is nice to have a fall back place. I would be doing the same thing if the BoSox were playing the Royals or toons (and I hate the toons). No different than rooting for the Yankees to beat the Twinkies, IMO. But, I don't hate the flubbies, I merely pity their fans.

I don't care much for the interleague games. I would prefer to have 3 more games each with teams in the ALC or whatever. The flubbies series will never go away it draws to well.

Maybe it's my NFL and NBA fandom that makes it easier for me to root for a wild card possibility.

Jerko
06-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Tim Jerkijan or whatever his name is said he wants to watch the Red Cub/Cub series because both franchises have a lot in common, and maybe, just maybe the Red Sox magic can rub off on the Cubs. I'm sure that's exactly the way the Red Sox are approaching this series. Either way: http://www.petebevin.com/archives/puking-pumpkin.gif

TDog
06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
We don't need the Cubs to beat the Red Sox this weekend to help us with Wild Card insurance. There is more than half of the rest of the season which will have a bigger impact on the WC issue than this weekend series. Let's hope the Cardinals first hammer Boston who, in turn, hopefully hammers the Cubs this weekend.

Exactly. I'm not upset about Toronto beating the Cubs Monday, although it is possible Toronto could get red hot in July and August and position themselves for a September Wild Card drive. The fact is, you don't yet know who is going to be in position for the Wild Card.

Of course, the Red Sox coming to Wrigley is a big deal because they haven't been to Wrigley since the 1918 World Series.*

*As good Sox fans know, the Chicago games in the 1918 World Series were played in Comiskey Park.

TheOldRoman
06-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Sorry, the wildcard was the best thing that happened to baseball in a long time. Selig got one thing right, and I give him props for it. The game is much more exciting with the wildcard. The wildcard creates a better pennant race than before. There are a few teams each year that run away with the division. Even if the second place teams are good enough to be first in any other division, they would be hopeless under the old format (see - White Sox, several times from the 50s until 1990). The Sox would have made the playoffs several more times had there been a wildcard or three divisions in the AL. There is always a reason for hope with the wildcard, and that creates excitement. Every year there are more than 4 teams that deserve to make the playoffs. That is proven because of the last 3 champions - all wild card teams. If baseball decided to add 8 more playoff spots and another round, I would be pissed. 4 spots is the perfect number for 14 and 16 team leagues. Its not bastardized like in the NBA and NHL where more than half the teams make the playoffs. You have to be really bad just to miss the playoffs. The current baseball format has created much more excitment than had been in the past. Why should a very good second place team hang it up in August just because the first place team is having a great year? The wildcard isnt a cheap way to get in. You still have to be really good to win the wildcard. The wildcard give teams hope and keeps fans in the park throughout August when they would normally be playing for nothing. It creates excitement. Its never going back to the old format, so get over it.

Cubbiesuck13
06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Sorry, the wildcard was the best thing that happened to baseball in a long time. Selig got one thing right, and I give him props for it. The game is much more exciting with the wildcard. The wildcard creates a better pennant race than before. There are a few teams each year that run away with the division. Even if the second place teams are good enough to be first in any other division, they would be hopeless under the old format (see - White Sox, several times from the 50s until 1990). The Sox would have made the playoffs several more times had there been a wildcard or three divisions in the AL. There is always a reason for hope with the wildcard, and that creates excitement. Every year there are more than 4 teams that deserve to make the playoffs. That is proven because of the last 3 champions - all wild card teams. If baseball decided to add 8 more playoff spots and another round, I would be pissed. 4 spots is the perfect number for 14 and 16 team leagues. Its not bastardized like in the NBA and NHL where more than half the teams make the playoffs. You have to be really bad just to miss the playoffs. The current baseball format has created much more excitment than had been in the past. Why should a very good second place team hang it up in August just because the first place team is having a great year? The wildcard isnt a cheap way to get in. You still have to be really good to win the wildcard. The wildcard give teams hope and keeps fans in the park throughout August when they would normally be playing for nothing. It creates excitement. Its never going back to the old format, so get over it.

Why should a good team miss the playoffs because a team in their division is having a great year? Because there is a team in their division having a great year! The good team has plenty of chances to beat the great team during the long MLB season. You are kidding yourself if you think the Wild Card is a good thing in baseball. I read stories about penant races before the Wild Card and both teams know that they have to win. Now it has become no big deal because winning the division and being the better team has no bearing on the playoffs. They are both going to go so the motivation is not there. It would be a better system if there was a reward for winning the division. Currently, the best team in the AL is no better than the fourth best team in the AL. Bunk. Winning the pennant used to mean something. This year, for instance, if the SOX keep it up and the Twins keep it up then we are going to have something like 13 games against them down the stretch. In a non-wild card year this would be do or die. Instead we will see the rotations being shifted to make sure they are ready for the playoffs because neither one cares about winning the division so long as the WC comes from the central. That is watered down baseball. No thanks, Bud.