PDA

View Full Version : memo to Nancy Faust re: "Kiss Him Goodbye"

BainesHOF
06-05-2005, 05:11 PM
The song should be played ONLY when we legitimately knock out a pitcher. It sounds ridiculous when it's played when a pitcher who has shut us down gets taken out of the game like today. Knock it off! Please play it only when appropriate.

LongLiveFisk
06-05-2005, 06:06 PM
The song should be played ONLY when we legitimately knock out a pitcher. It sounds ridiculous when it's played when a pitcher who has shut us down gets taken out of the game like today. Knock it off! Please play it only when appropriate.

I always say that. The song loses its meaning when played at inappropriate intervals. I'll never forget once a couple years back when we were losing something like 3-0 and being 1-hit. IIRC, the opposing pitcher had to be taken out (injury, maybe?), but as he was walking off the field, Nancy started playing the song. Yeah, we really showed him!! :redface:

C'mon Nancy. Love ya and everything but get real.

mike squires
06-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I'll agree, good call. It's played on three seperate occasions...HR, a win and change of pitcher. It's kind of lost it's appeal. It seems noone sings it anymore. The only time the crowd really gets into it is during a rally and a change of pitchers. It sounds beautiful when the house is full and the crowd is into it though.

Brian26
06-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Agreed. Plus, she only played one verse. What's the point?

Fake Chet Lemon
06-05-2005, 07:07 PM

That one verse limit bothers the heck out of me. I love the song, but if only one verse it's not much fun.

StillMissOzzie
06-05-2005, 07:09 PM

Let me get this straight. You agreed that playing the song when the pitcher who has kicked Sox ass all day gets taken out, and then you complain that she only played one verse?

That's like complaining about the restaurant where the food is no good, plus the portions are so small.

SMO
:?:

chisoxmike
06-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I agree, the fans make even sound more stupid when they sing along to it.

Mohoney
06-05-2005, 07:58 PM
It's tradition. Whenever a pitcher leaves a game, regardless of the situation, I want this song played.

Let Nancy do her thing, and just count your blessings that we have the best organist in the game.

TornLabrum
06-05-2005, 08:39 PM
It's tradition. Whenever a pitcher leaves a game, regardless of the situation, I want this song played.

Let Nancy do her thing, and just count your blessings that we have the best organist in the game.

And since her contract is up after this season, pray that Brooks Boyer has the sense to rehire her.

Brian26
06-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Let me get this straight. You agreed that playing the song when the pitcher who has kicked Sox ass all day gets taken out, and then you complain that she only played one verse?

I believe she only plays one verse now no matter what. I remember back in the early 80s when she would play the whole song after a pitching change and then go right into "Run Around Sue" for the entire length of the new pitcher's warm up tosses. I can't remember the last time I've heard that at a game.

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 09:54 PM

Thank you. Hell, I would sing it when Sabathia left 'cause I was happy that he left and couldn't wait to get to the pen.

And since her contract is up after this season, pray that Brooks Boyer has the sense to rehire her.

Amen.
I believe she only plays one verse now no matter what. I remember back in the early 80s when she would play the whole song after a pitching change and then go right into "Run Around Sue" for the entire length of the new pitcher's warm up tosses. I can't remember the last time I've heard that at a game.

I miss this also. Maybe on June 22nd we'll get to hear it again!

mike squires
06-05-2005, 11:59 PM
I was thinking Run Around Sue also. She could play that during times Na Na Hey hey is not appropriate. I don't recall that song being played at the new park. I have the last night game on tape and she plays it that night. I'm not sure if many fans would even now what to do if she played it. One afternoon I went up to her and told her I missed that and the Alabama song. She replied, "I forgot about those."

balke
06-06-2005, 12:14 AM
I wish it were played 3 times or so so the crowd would be able to get into it. What good is one round? By the time I notice its being played, its over and everyone is out of sync. Its a really cool chant that could be kept going during warm-ups for the next pitcher.

jabrch
06-06-2005, 12:44 AM

I would never tell Michelangelo how to paint. I would never tell my Doctor how to operate on me. And I will never tell Nancy how to play the organ.

She is the best there is. The best there was. And the best there ever will be. (With all due respect to Brett Hart)

mweflen
06-06-2005, 02:34 AM
agreed on the sadness of the one verse limit. i would bet the reason no one seems to sing any more is that, by the time people get started, it's over. the die hards all sing it, but the newbies need a second verse or so to join in.

personally, the key is a little high for me :D:

jabrch
06-06-2005, 06:57 AM

Do you think there is ANY possible way he doesn't?

LuvSox
06-06-2005, 09:08 AM

Please, give me a break. Are you going to tell Frank how to hit too?

SoxFan78
06-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Are you kidding me? There is actually a thread about this? Have we run out of things to complain about?

daveeym
06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
If anything I want it played more, with more verses and runaround sue back. I've only heard "i'm so lonely, oh so lonely, all on my own," everytime this year (it does crack me up though). I thought they weren't playing "kiss him goodbye" at all anymore for some PC bs reason or something.

nug0hs
06-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Nancy is awesome. During yesterday (Sunday)'s game, there was a stolen base attempt on a foul ball. Immediately after the ball was ruled Foul, Nancy started playing the beginning of "Get Back" by the Beatles. The part she played was at the very start of the track (before the song actually starts) and it appeared very few people caught it. I guess my Beatles knowledge is just superior to a lot of people, but it was Nancy's quick thinking and sly work that impressed me. Keep it up.

LongLiveFisk
06-06-2005, 12:45 PM
If anything I want it played more, with more verses and runaround sue back. I've only heard "i'm so lonely, oh so lonely, all on my own," everytime this year (it does crack me up though). I thought they weren't playing "kiss him goodbye" at all anymore for some PC bs reason or something.

I would love to hear "Runaround Sue" more....miss that one! :smile:

ma_deuce
06-06-2005, 01:53 PM
That one verse limit bothers the heck out of me. I love the song, but if only one verse it's not much fun.

I would not be surprised if the limit is financially motivated. I don't remember if it is one verse or two, but you have to pay royalties on songs if you play it to a certain extent. Maybe someone in the radio business can answer how much of a song can be played before you have to pay.

Deuce

tacosalbarojas
06-06-2005, 01:56 PM
I would love to hear "Runaround Sue" more....miss that one! :smile:"Runaround Sue" got played yesterday, but it was not at the appropriate moment (i.e when a pitcher got taken out). C'mon Nanc' and White Sox, reinstitute some old traditions! I also am among those who would like more than one verse of Na Na played (when appropriate). Na Na also sometimes gets drowned out by the blaring sirens and such on HR's - that's extremely irritating. Leave Na Na to have its moment...ya dig, Brooks!

Fake Chet Lemon
06-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Didn't opposing teams complain that playing more than one verse was rubbing it in? If so, screw that. Keep the verses coming. I wish I could transport all you new great Sox fans back to 1977 for a game to hear how it really should be done.

tacosalbarojas
06-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Didn't opposing teams complain that playing more than one verse was rubbing it in? If so, screw that. Keep the verses coming. I wish I could transport all you new great Sox fans back to 1977 for a game to hear how it really should be done.Not to mention to show them what a nice cozy ballpark can sound like when it gets loud!

shoota
06-06-2005, 02:14 PM

I want that tradition reinstated.

Memo to Sox: Only play it when when a pitcher leaves with a deficit, and play much more than one verse. Then go into "Run Around Sue."

This is just another example of the organ being pushed out in favor of canned music. Let Nancy play!

bennyw41
06-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Nancy is the most approachable people in the organization, if you have a suggestion, or request, just stop by her booth and talk to her.

tacosalbarojas
06-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Nancy is the most approachable people in the organization, if you have a suggestion, or request, just stop by her booth and talk to her.True. Yet another reason to re-sign Nancy!

Rich McKinney
06-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Nancy is awesome. During yesterday (Sunday)'s game, there was a stolen base attempt on a foul ball. Immediately after the ball was ruled Foul, Nancy started playing the beginning of "Get Back" by the Beatles. The part she played was at the very start of the track (before the song actually starts) and it appeared very few people caught it. I guess my Beatles knowledge is just superior to a lot of people, but it was Nancy's quick thinking and sly work that impressed me. Keep it up.

I heard Lee was also angry with Nancy playing "Get Back" when he was racing around second against the Cubs while Uribe told him it was foul.

kojak
06-07-2005, 12:38 AM
I heard Lee was also angry with Nancy playing "Get Back" when he was racing around second against the Cubs while Uribe told him it was foul.

That game was at The Urinal...

ClaudelSleptHere
06-07-2005, 12:48 AM
I think Uribe told him that Nancy was playing 'Get Back'

BainesHOF
06-07-2005, 04:12 AM
I don't quite understand some people defending the inappropriate playing of "Kiss Him Goodbye." I love Nancy, but when she does this it's embarrassingly bad. It makes her look stupid, along with the Sox. It needs to stop.

What's next? Shooting off fireworks after Konerko grounds into a double play?

Hitmen77
06-07-2005, 09:25 AM

No - that would not be economically feasible and would exhaust our annual fireworks budget by the All-Star break.

SoxFan78
06-07-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't quite understand some people defending the inappropriate playing of "Kiss Him Goodbye." I love Nancy, but when she does this it's embarrassingly bad. It makes her look stupid, along with the Sox. It needs to stop.

Its a song, during a ballgame, which is supposed to be fun.

If I go to the ballgame and Nancy, the best organist in the Majors plays Kiss Him Goodbye when a great pitcher is taken off, im not gonna shed a tear in my beer thats for sure.

Looking gifthorse in mouth...

Palehose13
06-07-2005, 09:49 AM

Relax...it's a freakin' game where people are supposed to be having a good time and if I want to sing along with organist...I'll sing along with the damn organist! :redneck

TornLabrum
06-16-2005, 01:02 AM
I emailed Nancy regarding this thread, and she responded a day or two later by saying that she agreed that she shouldn't play when the Sox are losing, but that she has to clear what she does through Jeff Szynal. Today I chatted with Nancy before the game and she said she got the go-ahead from Szynal to not play Na-Na-Hey-Hey when there is a pitching change and the Sox are losing. So expect to hear something else in the future.

Palehose13
06-16-2005, 03:51 PM
I emailed Nancy regarding this thread, and she responded a day or two later by saying that she agreed that she shouldn't play when the Sox are losing, but that she has to clear what she does through Jeff Szynal. Today I chatted with Nancy before the game and she said she got the go-ahead from Szynal to not play Na-Na-Hey-Hey when there is a pitching change and the Sox are losing. So expect to hear something else in the future.

Last night when Ortiz (I think) was taken out, I thought she eplayed "Kiss him Goodbye" either longer than usual or louder (or both) and it sounded like the fans really got into it. Anyone else notice or am I crazy?

Sxy Mofo
06-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Last night when Ortiz (I think) was taken out, I thought she eplayed "Kiss him Goodbye" either longer than usual or louder (or both) and it sounded like the fans really got into it. Anyone else notice or am I crazy?

probably desperation for the first time in the series the sox actually knocked out a pitcher.

BaseballTonyght
06-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Are you kidding me? There is actually a thread about this? Have we run out of things to complain about?

Agreed. This is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. :help:

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Agreed. This is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. :help:

You guys obviously weren't browsing this board during the off-season! :redneck

BainesHOF
06-16-2005, 06:24 PM

Great job!

BainesHOF
06-16-2005, 06:25 PM

I detected this as well. The song packs a heck of a punch when played properly. It makes it all the more cool.

Palehose13
06-16-2005, 07:24 PM
I detected this as well. The song packs a heck of a punch when played properly. It makes it all the more cool.

Agreed. I'm glad I'm not crazy and someone else noticed.

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Agreed. I'm glad I'm not crazy and someone else noticed.

No, I noticed too. :wink:

And by the way, I'll also be there on June 22...looking forward to it! :cool:

Palehose13
06-16-2005, 08:20 PM
No, I noticed too. :wink:

And by the way, I'll also be there on June 22...looking forward to it! :cool:

Sweet! Maybe we shall meet up for a cold beverage. :cool:

Jurr
06-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Like I said in a previous thread...I'll be in. I feel a big connection to Nancy. Her last name is the same as mine (well, sub the A for an O)

skobabe8
06-16-2005, 08:33 PM

I've never been too bothered when she did this, but it will definately be better when she saves the song for when an opposing pitcher actually gets knocked out. Good job, WSI'ers! 1 problem corrected, ____ more to go! (you fill in the blank)

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2005, 10:34 PM

Possibly...although it looks like I will be sitting in the upper tank and we can't walk down to the lower level!

Palehose13
06-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Possibly...although it looks like I will be sitting in the upper tank and we can't walk down to the lower level!

Pre-game @ Bullpen Sports bar?

TornLabrum
06-16-2005, 11:07 PM
I'll be there with Jeff (my son for those who are relatively new here) on June 22. Sec. 130, Row 34, Seats 1-2. (The tickets were a present from a friend who just happened to have 50 comps for that date.)

mike squires
06-16-2005, 11:30 PM

Geez, what about some respect. The ladies been doing this what, 30 years? She should be able to play when and what she wants. Ton, ask her about Run Around Sue sometime if you get the chance. I think she should play this when Na Na Na Na is not appropriate. Another gripe...and I've said it before...She needs her picture in the media guide. How about some respect for someone that's been in the organization. I think an e-mail to Brooks in in order.:D:

LongLiveFisk
06-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Pre-game @ Bullpen Sports bar?

Believe it or not, I haven't been to the bullpen sports bar yet. But I will have a couple of kids with, so probably not. :(: We'll have to figure it out another time!

TornLabrum
06-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Geez, what about some respect. The ladies been doing this what, 30 years? She should be able to play when and what she wants. Ton, ask her about Run Around Sue sometime if you get the chance. I think she should play this when Na Na Na Na is not appropriate. Another gripe...and I've said it before...She needs her picture in the media guide. How about some respect for someone that's been in the organization. I think an e-mail to Brooks in in order.:D:

I'll be at the game Saturday night. I'll mention Runaround Sue to her. As an unabashed Dion fan, the more I hear of that song, the better.

Here's a little background on Na-Na-Hey-Hey (and other things she plays) from Nancy's end of things:

When she plays is pretty much determined by Jeff Szynal. What she plays, I'm not sure about, and I guess neither is she. When she asked Jeff Szynal about Na-Na, he said that what she played in those situations is up to her.

I kind of get the feeling things are a little different under Brooks Boyer (her big boss) than they were under Rob Gallas, and she is kind of feeling her way right now. The other thing is that if they go to something on the scoreboard or canned music, she doesn't have the time to play much more than Na-Na. I'll tell her that if such situations arise on Wednesday, a lot of her fans would love to hear Runaround Sue like in the old days.

Palehose13
06-17-2005, 02:39 PM
I'll be there with Jeff (my son for those who are relatively new here) on June 22. Sec. 130, Row 34, Seats 1-2. (The tickets were a present from a friend who just happened to have 50 comps for that date.)

146 row 15 seats 7&8

River
06-18-2005, 08:42 AM
I'll be at the game Saturday night. I'll mention Runaround Sue to her. As an unabashed Dion fan, the more I hear of that song, the better.

Here's a little background on Na-Na-Hey-Hey (and other things she plays) from Nancy's end of things:

When she plays is pretty much determined by Jeff Szynal. What she plays, I'm not sure about, and I guess neither is she. When she asked Jeff Szynal about Na-Na, he said that what she played in those situations is up to her.

I kind of get the feeling things are a little different under Brooks Boyer (her big boss) than they were under Rob Gallas, and she is kind of feeling her way right now. The other thing is that if they go to something on the scoreboard or canned music, she doesn't have the time to play much more than Na-Na. I'll tell her that if such situations arise on Wednesday, a lot of her fans would love to hear Runaround Sue like in the old days.

I usually don't post, actually this is my first. But I have to thank you for mentioning Runaround Sue to Nancy. That song was great at Old Comiskey. I agree that it needs to be played more.

mike squires
06-18-2005, 10:49 AM
I brought it up once to her a few years ago (along with the Alabama song during late inning reallies) and she replied with, "I forgot about those!" I'm guessing if she did play those the crowd (new generation) wouldn't know about it and wouldn't know what to do. IIRC the last time she played it was last night game at Old Comiskey. I didn't have TV coverage of the Sox in the early to mid 90's so I may be wrong.

TornLabrum
06-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I usually don't post, actually this is my first. But I have to thank you for mentioning Runaround Sue to Nancy. That song was great at Old Comiskey. I agree that it needs to be played more.

I brought up Runaround Sue today, and she said we can expect to hear it Wednesday afternoon. Good incentive to take a vacation day if you can.

mike squires
06-19-2005, 08:47 AM
They better get to their pitcherso she has the opportunity to play it!

Andy T Clown
06-19-2005, 09:30 AM
The one verse limit drives me nuts. It is almost like she was ordered to do that so the scoreboard can go to a comercial break.

TornLabrum
06-19-2005, 09:52 AM
The one verse limit drives me nuts. It is almost like she was ordered to do that so the scoreboard can go to a comercial break.

Actually, you're pretty much on target, I think. Not that Nancy has said anything to me. She hasn't. But just watch what happens after the one chorus.

LongLiveFisk
06-19-2005, 10:08 AM
I brought up Runaround Sue today, and she said we can expect to hear it Wednesday afternoon. Good incentive to take a vacation day if you can.

That's right...for some of us, we feel a sick day coming on and won't be able to make it to work on Wednesday (cough! cough!) :wink:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Since we know Brooks and his staff lurk at WSI, let me state here without equivocation that I will consider White Sox Interactive a HUGE SUCCESS if it only the Sox finally came to belatedly appreciate what a diamond in the rough Nancy Faust's organ truly is to the ballclub.

That idiot Rob Gallas had all but run her off back in 1999-2000. He had all his stupid "marketing surveys" claiming Sox Fans wanted modern music. He even brought in that complete embarrassment Joe Stephen to act like Sox deejay. God... it makes my skin crawl to remember that period.
:mad:

I'm guessing Gallas' marketing surveys about Nancy were the same ones that said Sox Fans liked New Comiskey Park just the way it was built in 1991. Yeah, those Sox marketing surveys sure have a lot of credibility, don't they!
:kukoo:

The smartest move the Sox could make is letting Nancy off the leash and make the between-pitch entertainment all about her and her witty sense of organ playing.

Nancy is a franchise icon.
Get a clue, Brooks.
Move her closer to centerstage.

And if you like Run Around Sue, WSI already has you covered.
Sox Fans, who loves ya baby? (http://whitesoxinteractive.com//RunAroundSue.rm)
:cool:

Palehose13
06-19-2005, 12:40 PM
The smartest move the Sox could make is letting Nancy off the leash and make the between-pitch entertainment all about her and her witty sense of organ playing.

Nancy is a franchise icon.
Get a clue, Brooks.
Move her closer to centerstage.

And if you like Run Around Sue, WSI already has you covered.
Sox Fans, who loves ya baby? (http://whitesoxinteractive.com//RunAroundSue.rm)
:cool:

Thanks George. It brought a little tear to my eye. :cool:

MHOUSE
06-19-2005, 03:41 PM
It was perfect during the rally against Ortiz on Wednesday, me and some coworkers sang along with the verse until commercial. They need to bring back the old Bulls "Hit the Road Jack" after a foulout or ejection. It was very common in the Rodman days when he would rile some people up.