PDA

View Full Version : Rowand's Socks

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Lately Aaron has been sporting the "high sock" look. I personally love this look and wish more guys would go back to it. Does anyone have any insight as to why Aaron is doing this now? Baseball players tend to be superstitous creatures, so I was wondering if there was anything behind it?

SomebodyToldMe
06-05-2005, 03:19 PM
The high socks look is great. I wear my socks up to my knees all the time. Even when I wear shorts. Cuz I'm cool like that. :D:

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 03:26 PM
The high socks look is great. I wear my socks up to my knees all the time. Even when I wear shorts. Cuz I'm cool like that. :D:

http://www.minniewilde.com/photos/spring%202004%20web/anchor%20tube.jpg

Very cool. :wink:

SomebodyToldMe
06-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Where'd you get that pic of me!?

Seriously, I dig the high socks. Although my buds do give me a little ribbing for it, but the ladies seem to like it. So I'm told anyway.

BarbG
06-05-2005, 04:03 PM
And you were told correctly!

Cubbiesuck13
06-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Yesterday during the game they played a clip of Rowand talking someone. He said his socks were wet but he didn't want to change them because he felt the "still had a hit in them" when in fact they had a hit, a walk and a stolen base left in them.

Clembasbal
06-05-2005, 04:11 PM
I have no idea, but I know Ventura used to go with the "high sock" look whenever he was in a slump. Then when he got back to form, he went with his usual.

Maybe Rowand is doing it for a change of pace...he is on a tear lately.

PAPChiSox729
06-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Maybe Rowand is doing it for a change of pace...he is on a tear lately.

Whatever it takes to keep Aaron going!

aniceItch
06-05-2005, 05:02 PM
but the ladies seem to like it. So I'm told anyway.

hm. im not sure high socks are attractive with anything other than a baseball uniform.

but good luck with the ladies.

Brian26
06-05-2005, 05:57 PM
The high socks look great, especially compared to the alternative- the Juan Uribe look where the pants are pulled down to the sole of the foot.

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 06:00 PM
The high socks look great, especially compared to the alternative- the Juan Uribe look where the pants are pulled down to the sole of the foot.

Nothig is worse than Sabathia's clown suit.

boiler up
06-05-2005, 06:10 PM
sabathia looks like a freakin idiot

i like the high sock look, i wish konerko would go back to it

PBRWarrior
06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Sabathia is a wanna be gangbanger. He makes me sick with his oversized uniform and his cocked cap. Plus he plays for the Indians. All of last season, Scotty P. wears his socks high to. It makes them look faster.

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Sabathia is a wanna be gangbanger. He makes me sick with his oversized uniform and his cocked cap. Plus he plays for the Indians. All of last season, Scotty P. wears his socks high to. It makes them look faster.

First, :welcome:

Yeah, but Scott has worn his socks high all year and this is new for Aaron. I know some players wear high socks as a way to pay tribute to former negro league players. Off the top of my head, Podsednik, Marte, El Duque, and Harris always wear the high socks. I was just curious if there was a reason why he did other than it looks better.

Clembasbal
06-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Scotty P. wears his socks high to. It makes them look faster.

True, I wore high socks in high school so colleges would think I was faster than I actually was (a scout told me this tidbit of information).

Brian26
06-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Off the top of my head, Podsednik, Marte, El Duque, and Harris always wear the high socks.

El Duque and Marte always look cool with the high socks for some reason- maybe has to do with their high legkicks off the mound.

South Side
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Crede is also sporting the high socks.

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 08:43 PM

Well then I hope the rest of the guys on the team catch on to this this trend. Imagine Frank Thomas in high socks. :redneck

jake27
06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
i like the high socks... i think if the stirrup came back that would be cool. i did the high socks in high school too.

on a similar note, i love when the girls are in high socks and shorts :D:

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Imagine Frank Thomas in high socks. :redneck

Yes...I am quoting myself.

Would one of our resident photo shop artists amuse me by showing me how Frank would look in high socks?

Thanks in advance. :wink:

Cubbiesuck13
06-05-2005, 09:38 PM

Would one of our resident photo shop artists amuse me by showing me how Frank would look in high socks?

I thought he wore high socks a few years ago. As a matter of fact the whole team did for one game. I want to say day game, perhaps a sunday. But on sundays they wore those 1917 uni's. I dunno. I could have sworn the entire team wore high socks though.

South Side
06-05-2005, 09:40 PM

I predict that in a sequence of events which leads us to the W.S., one by one each player will start wearing their socks high unifying them and becoming a true team and the last person to do so will be Frank Thomas signifying that this is our year (and hell has frozen over). It's got a storybook quality to it, doesn't it? :D:
So who do we have so far? Marte, Pods, Crede, Aaron, El Duque... who's next?

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I predict that in a sequence of events which leads us to the W.S., one by one each player will start wearing their socks high unifying them and becoming a true team and the last person to do so will be Frank Thomas signifying that this is our year (and hell has frozen over). It's got a storybook quality to it, doesn't it? :D:
So who do we have so far? Marte, Pods, Crede, Aaron, El Duque... who's next?

Shhhhh...I was thinking the same thing.

But how dare we think positive thoughts when the Sox lost today!!!!

SoxWillWin
06-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Here's a quick one....not good, but probably close.http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2946&stc=1

BarbG
06-06-2005, 12:30 AM

Aaww, I missed it!

Now if they can get Gload to try it...he always looks like he's wearing pajamas.

I love the high socks, it just looks more polished and neater. And maybe my memory is starting to fade but I could swear that back in the 70's most players wore them that way, if not at least all my favorites did. I wish they'd all do it.

jabrch
06-06-2005, 12:35 AM
He's hitting .290 now. He can wear his socks up to his ears for all I care.

He was hitting .262 on May 27th. He's been on a major tear (9 for 21) to get up to .290. Keep it up Row!!!

skobabe8
06-06-2005, 12:37 AM
i like the high socks... i think if the stirrup came back that would be cool. i did the high socks in high school too.

on a similar note, i love when the girls are in high socks and shorts :D:

:wired:

ShoelessJoeS
06-06-2005, 12:38 AM
hopefully crede can catch some of the high sock fever

StillMissOzzie
06-06-2005, 01:25 AM
I've always liked the high socks look myself. It just looks like baseball instead of playing in white pinstriped suit pants. Ozzie was another one who went with the high socks look.
Conversely, I think the "low rider" look, where it appears that some guys hook the pants hem onto one of the spikes on their heel, looks terrible. Similarly, I read somewhere once that Sosa like to punch little holes into the fron of his pants hems and run his shoelaces through them, in order to keep the pants attached to his shoe tops.

jake27, I wouldn't mind if the stirrups came back either.
Maybe someday MLB will put in a "this is how the uniform is to be worn" stipulation like the NFL has, with fines for non-compliance.

SMO
:gulp:

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Here's a quick one....not good, but probably close.http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2946&stc=1

Sweet. I love it! Thanks!

Maybe someday MLB will put in a "this is how the uniform is to be worn" stipulation like the NFL has, with fines for non-compliance.

I concur.

Baby Fisk
06-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Even big Frank looks good with the high sox. The whole team should do it. Plus I like the fact that it would freak people out because they are BLACK SOX. Yeah, we know, and we don't care.

Palehose13
06-06-2005, 08:11 AM
I like the fact that it would freak people out because they are BLACK SOX. Yeah, we know, and we don't care.

:cool:

btw...I don't think white socks would look as sharp.

Over By There
06-06-2005, 08:57 AM
There was an article in ESPN.com's Page 2 "Uni-Watch" last week (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/050602)about the resurgence of not just high socks, but also stirrups. Personally, I'm a fan of the look. It's old school. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2005, 09:30 AM
As was said before, I'm happy as long as Rowand continues to produce. If he gets back up to .310 by the end of the year that should mean great things for the Sox offense. Rowand might just be one of those players who is a slow starter. If high socks are part of it, all the better!

Baby Fisk
06-06-2005, 09:34 AM
There was an article in ESPN.com's Page 2 "Uni-Watch" last week (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/050602)about the resurgence of not just high socks, but also stirrups. Personally, I'm a fan of the look. It's old school. :cool:

That column is great. As for these stockings, let's never bring them back, ever: ugly late 70s stripey sox (http://www.chicagofantasybaseballcamp.com/images/Trout.jpg)

williefan22
06-06-2005, 10:00 AM
I have always worn high socks throughout high school and college. I have heard from many over the years that sporting the high socks makes you look shorter for some reason. Oh well, I personally think it looks good on some people and bad on others. Maybe its just because I'm used to seeing Aaron without them, but I wasn't a fan of him sporting the high socks. I think El Duque looks the best with his socks.

kevingrt
06-06-2005, 10:38 AM
I love the high socks especially in the hot weather of summer. It just looks like Pods, Rowand, and Crede are ready to play baseball.

It'd be cool if the whole team did it, but some guys have superstitions and always wear their uni's the same way and I don't blame them for that. I have plenty of my own that are weird enough.

But Rowand has eben on a tear ever since changing his style, maybe it might work for other players as well, Juan are you listening?

shoota
06-06-2005, 02:50 PM

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Rowand decides to change and then two days later Crede does the same.