PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest 2002

mike3sox
11-13-2001, 02:39 PM
SoxFest is coming up, and i heard that Oscar
Gamble is going to be there. Does anyone remember
his number when he was with the White Sox? I know
that Richie Zisk was #22, but I can't remember
Oscar Gamble. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Mike3sox

FarWestChicago
11-13-2001, 04:36 PM
Damn, I don't remember his number! Just the hair and the swing. Where's PHG when you need him?

And welcome to WSI!! :)

PaleHoseGeorge
11-13-2001, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Damn, I don't remember his number! Just the hair and the swing. Where's PHG when you need him?

And welcome to WSI!! :)

Here he comes... to save the day!!!

If you're looking for Sox trivia answers, you've come to the right place, Mike. This was tougher than I thought it would be.

Gamble was acquired at the end of spring training, 1977. April 5, 1977, Veeck sent Bucky Dent to the Yankees for Gamble, Lamarr Hoyt, Bob Polinsky and cash. (Typical Veeck move of the era).

Gamble does not appear in the team's media guide. The trade occured after it went to press. My program from that year is missing the line up page, too. However I did find a picture in the White Sox Encyclopedia showing Gamble sliding into base wearing Veeck's pajamas. The number is either 12 or 17.

12 was Soderholm's number and 17 is listed as Dave Duncan's in the media guide. However, Duncan never played a game for the Sox. Veeck got him in a trade with Baltimore (November 18, 1976 for Pat Kelly). He was either injured, cut, or retired before the season began.

Though I'm not 100 percent certain, I'm pretty sure Gamble wore 17. I can also confirm Zisk wore 22. So the three big Sox sluggers of the Southside Hitmen were 12, 17, and 22.

Welcome to WSI! (You would have waited an eternity for your answer amongst the deep thinkers at the official site).

:)

mike3sox
01-16-2002, 01:25 PM
PaleHoseGeorge,

Thanks for the information- AGAIN. I wrote it
down and then I lost it. I swear I'm getting
early Alzheimer's, although my GUESS was #17,
so there still may be hope for me-

mike3sox

PaleHoseGeorge
01-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by mike3sox
PaleHoseGeorge,

Thanks for the information- AGAIN. I wrote it
down and then I lost it. I swear I'm getting
early Alzheimer's, although my GUESS was #17,
so there still may be hope for me-

mike3sox

No problem. As your penance, you must visit White Sox Interactive everyday and post here at least once per week for the next six weeks.

Pray a couple dozen "Hail Marys" and "Acts of Contrition", with a rosary or two tossed in for good measure.

:)

Spiff
01-16-2002, 01:53 PM
Talk about confusing. I saw the title of this and the other thread, though I looked at this one first. Then I saw George's response and I was sure he had said the exact same thing before. But I couldn't find it when I searched. Then I looked at the other thread, and George said what I was thinking! Come to find out this thread is from two months ago! Dah! :?: