PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Luv...

CubsSuckSoBad
06-05-2005, 12:15 PM
With all the hatred that the Sox have received this year, despite the winning record, it has made me love Hawk that much more and appreciate him in his abscence this year...

I don't know what fans like me are going to do when Hawk finishes announcing Sox games. I guess I will have to mute the broadcast and turn on the radio in the Chicagoland area and out of state, just deal with whoever mlb.tv has broadcasting the games...

Hawk has always made the games more enjoyable for me with his knowledge of the game and witty phrases in describing game situations...Announcers like Hawk are a rarity; not only in his age and old fashion baseball knowledge, but especially since he is homer...

Thats what you love about him most though...with all the negativity that the white sox have experienced through my years on this earth, he has supported them through thick and thin and has always defended everything done by the white sox managers and players....

When he's not commentating the game from the start, when he leaves during the 6th or 7th inning where DJ takes over the commentating, or me having to watch White Sox games on Mlb.tv since I am out of state for the summer, I feel so "unsatysfyed" like Teddy KGB....I even find myself, when hawk isn't commenting on the game situations, having my own hawk soundbites prepared for when certain situations call for them...

I believe that this is a preview for when hawk is gone and this post is for everyone to show their appreciation for Ken the Hawk for not only his loyalty to the White Sox through the rough times these last 85+ years since our last world series, but for making broadcasts highly enjoyable for me since I was knee high to a pole cat....

The more replies and more attention that this post is shown, the better understanding that I will have with others appreciation for hawk...will make me feel good being trapped in Kentucky all summer (ugh....)

Ken "Hawk"Harrelson

YES!!!!!!!:)

soxfan43
06-05-2005, 12:21 PM
I am also a huge hawk fan. Cubs fans and fans of other teams hate, but ya of course they will considering he's the biggest homer. But his signature calls are great, he provides a lot of sox pride in the booth. the energy he brings keeps those broadcasts going despite having DJ as his partner. Lets hope hawk has plenty of good years left on the airwaves

SpammySosa
06-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks,Hawk's grandson.:wink: I don't have a speech prepared,but I will simply say I loooooooooooooooovvvvvvve Hawk,though I understand the reasons others don't.

nedlug
06-05-2005, 12:28 PM
I loooooooooooooooovvvvvvve Hawk

"Yyyyyyoooouuu dooooo???" - Wimpy.

Seriously, though, Hawk and Wimpy are probably the biggest reason why I became a Sox fan. I remember being 8 or 9, and starting to watch games, andI remember laughing every time Wimpy retorted with the "Yyyyyoooouuuu doooo?". Also, I remember loving (and I still do love!) Hawk's great "sacks packed with Sox", "chopper, 2-hopper", and "Aurora....yyyes", among others. Hawk is a great, great guy, and I fear I will not like the new guy when he leaves, whoever it is.

bludupree
06-05-2005, 12:32 PM
I am a huge Hawk supporter. He is knowledgeable, passionate, and creative. Hopefully he is here for a long time to come. The only person I can see even comparing to him would be Wills.

Baby Fisk
06-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Despite the few grumps here who denounce Hawk repeatedly and pine for the good ol' days when real, unbiased men sat in the booth (:rolleyes: ), Hawk is on his second generation of thrilling Sox fans around the world.

As a youngster in frozen, desolate Canada whose parents wouldn't spring for WGN just so I could watch a handful of Sox games a year, I would still tune in to the scrambled channel and listen to Hawk & Wimpy call games in the early 90s. For me, Hawk IS the voice of White Sox baseball.

:hawk
"A White Sox welcome to Lil' Pudge watching the Sox on the scrambled WGN feed on Rogers Cable in Stoney Creek, Ontario. Stoney Creek...YES!"

boiler up
06-05-2005, 01:22 PM
whenever he is on i feel way more comfortable watching the game

he usually says exactly what i am thinking, and is not scared to argue with DJ

White Sox Josh
06-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I luuv Hawk! He was one of the reasons why i became a Sox Fan. DJ on the other hand!

:worship::hawk

Fake Chet Lemon
06-05-2005, 07:07 PM
I LOVE Hawk and his enthusiasm when we are winning. His excuses and B.S. drive me nuts when our teams are bad. He used to defend Manual, then once we got rid of him the back-handed rips started coming. So he lied one of those times. Overall he is definitely a keeper....YES!

gobears1987
06-05-2005, 07:12 PM
I love Hawk even more than Hawk loves the AFLAC duck. I hated the games when they had fill ins. The Sox need Hawk in the booth. HRs aren't the same without YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRRDDDD YESSSSSSS!

Tekk
06-05-2005, 07:52 PM
I absolutely love the way Hawk announces a game.

"Gas, He Gone!" ...I love it

Daver
06-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Ken Harrelson is terrible.

Chisox003
06-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Ken Harrelson is terrible.

No, no, we are talking about H-A-W-K

To Hawk :gulp:

paciorek1983
06-05-2005, 11:30 PM
I love Hawk too. I love that he's a homer. Who cares about being objective when you're broadcasting for the team that's PAYING YOU. I love the fact that he doesn't have to tell me everything that's going on during the game right in front of my face that I'm watching, like duh I can't figure that's a goundball to the 2nd basemen and he's out.:?:

Some might say he's unprofessional, guess what, most so called "professional broadcasters are boring. They are a dime a dozen. Take espn, can you really tell the differnce between Ryan and O'Brien? And I can't stand listeng to Dan Schulman. I can't make it through a game with him broadcasting. After two minutes I starting going dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!

So, props for the Hawkaroo!! :dtroll:

SoxFan76
06-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Hawk is the man. My only compaint is he seems to be using his catch phrases just for the sake of using them lately. They just don't sound from the heart. Maybe a home run that cuts into a 6 run lead shouldn't get the same call as a Frank Thomas game-tying homer in the 10th should.

jabrch
06-05-2005, 11:42 PM
The best thing about Hawk as an announcer is that he can't be GM at the same time!!!!

Seriously - I mean it...

No, I do love listening to Hawk. Other teams fans think he is "unprofessional" and they dislike him. But he's not paid by anyone to call games for them. He is paid to call games for us. I love hearing Hawk - cuz he says a lot of things that we say when we are watching the games.

Keep up the good work Hawk.

bayzbol44
06-06-2005, 12:42 PM
He is horrible as a Play by Play person. He would be OKAY, as a color analyst.I just hope the Sox can find a way to put Stone in the booth.

rdwj
06-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Hawk is the best. He's so good at what he does - from catch phrases to stories of the old days. As a Sox fan, how can you not like that?

Even after he's gone, I don't think I'll ever be able to watch a big strike out without adding a "He Gawn!"

SouthSideSid
06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Hawk haters hate the Sox - They just use Hawk as an excuse because he is such a homer. Hawk haters will hate who ever replaces Hawk just the same. Christ, Harry Caray was a drunken idiot who couldn't pronounce "Smith" correctly, but his ass is beloved throughout baseball. Harry still had it when he was doing the Sox games back on old channel 44, but after he got to the Cubs he was all used up.

soxgirl617
06-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Like other post-ers, Hawk and Wimpy are a big part of my transformation from Cub fan (sorry, I was a kid growing up in a Cub household and didn't know any better!) to die-hard, season-ticket owning Sox fan. My (now ex-) husband helped convert me to the Sox, pointing out that Comiskey was more fun than Wrigley, and that the baseball is almost always better on the South Side. I was pushed over the edge to Sox fan-dom b/c I couldn't STAND to listen to Harry do Cub games. Hawk and Wimpy, on the other hand, were entertaining AND knowledgable. Roughly 20 years later, I am still a Sox fan. I love Hawk, and I enjoy his "interaction" with DJ. It was interesting to have the replacement announcers, but I missed Hawk.

Baby Fisk
06-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Like other post-ers, Hawk and Wimpy are a big part of my transformation from Cub fan (sorry, I was a kid growing up in a Cub household and didn't know any better!) to die-hard, season-ticket owning Sox fan. My (now ex-) husband helped convert me to the Sox, pointing out that Comiskey was more fun than Wrigley, and that the baseball is almost always better on the South Side. I was pushed over the edge to Sox fan-dom b/c I couldn't STAND to listen to Harry do Cub games. Hawk and Wimpy, on the other hand, were entertaining AND knowledgable. Roughly 20 years later, I am still a Sox fan. I love Hawk, and I enjoy his "interaction" with DJ. It was interesting to have the replacement announcers, but I missed Hawk.
Nice story. :welcome:

sdccpa
06-06-2005, 02:22 PM
How can you not love listening to Hawk? I want to listen to someone who is rooting for my team as much as I do.

nebraskasox
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM
When I first heard Hawk do the TV games, I thought that if you weren't already a Sox fan you'd have no idea what he was talking about: e.g., "the Commander on deck, can o' corn for One Dog, etc". I thought he was unprofessional and didn't provide in depth dame analysis, like Drysdale did. But over time, his cliches grew on me and now I look forward to hearing hawkisms. I love it that he's such a fan himself.

I wish he and DJ would spend less time talking about the good ol days and more time on game and current player analysis. DJ has improved but I preferred Paciorek. Stone seems to have a good knowledge of the game and spoke intelligently about the Sox on the recent ESPN broadcast, in contrast with their other announcers.