PDA

View Full Version : Cowley article about trading Thomas or Everett

gosox41
06-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Thought this might be interesting.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd2.htm

I think Thomas is pretty much untradeable and want to see him retire in a Sox uni.

Bob

voodoochile
06-05-2005, 09:45 AM
He is a 10/5 player, so he would have to approve any trade. Only teams who would want him are teams who are definitely in the playoff hunt this season and next because the article states clearly that if he gets traded it locks in next years $12M salary. Why would the Sox want to trade Frank to the Angels (for example)? That would truly suck come playoff time...

Spicoli
06-05-2005, 09:49 AM
I don't see this happening.

Fredsox
06-05-2005, 09:59 AM
He is a 10/5 player, so he would have to approve any trade. Only teams who would want him are teams who are definitely in the playoff hunt this season and next because the article states clearly that if he gets traded it locks in next years $12M salary. Why would the Sox want to trade Frank to the Angels (for example)? That would truly suck come playoff time...

Agreed. There is no way a team would take Thomas under the current circumstances. Big salary, can only DH, and is still recovering from a serious injury. Everett, on the other hand, is very tradeable. Like it or not, I think Carl might be on his way out of town.

hose
06-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Sending Timo or Willie down to the Knights would open up a spot for Gload, or better yet send both Timo and Willie down and bring up another pitcher for the pen.....(not Kevin Walker).

Both Timo and Willie have options left, Ozuna who is more versatile than Willie is out of options.

As long as Gload can spell Paulie and also come in as a late inning defensive replacement plus give you a left handed bat off the bench I don't see any problems.

Frank and Carl can share time at the DH for the time being.

Carl can also spell Dye time to time in right also.

If they send Timo down and keep Willie then Ozzie has some pretty good speed at his disposal sitting on the bench. I know the Sox love Timo for some reason , but he has to go to make room.

The Sox have to have a back up first baseman on the roster and the Big Hurt doesn't have the mobility to do it.

johnny_mostil
06-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Sending Timo or Willie down to the Knights would open up a spot for Gload, or better yet send both Timo and Willie down and bring up another pitcher for the pen.....(not Kevin Walker).

With this starting staff there is absolutely no reason to carry a seven-man pen. They won't get enough work. The White Sox are only averaging just about 2 1/3 innings of bullpen use per game so far, the fewest in baseball, because their starters have thrown 360 innings, the most in baseball. This is a throwback staff to the 1970s and they would be better off with a long man in the pen and fewer dink relievers.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2005, 11:22 AM
With this starting staff there is absolutely no reason to carry a seven-man pen. They won't get enough work. The White Sox are only averaging just about 2 1/3 innings of bullpen use per game so far, the fewest in baseball, because their starters have thrown 360 innings, the most in baseball. This is a throwback staff to the 1970s and they would be better off with a long man in the pen and fewer dink relievers.I'll go one further. This is a case of less is more. Too little work makes them rusty, and I believe the recent bullpen ineffectiveness was due to to little work from having a 7-man pen.

MRKARNO
06-05-2005, 11:29 AM
If one of the two gets dealt, it will be Everett. Thomas recently decided to move up here to Chicago full-time IIRC and he'd probably veto practically any trade. Everett is probably the one that has to go and I hope that we can get a set-up man or closer for him because that's probably our biggest need.

mccoydp
06-05-2005, 11:46 AM
:everett:

"Trade me...I double dog dare you! Just try it!"

Brian26
06-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Shouldn't we wait a bit and see if Frank is going to stay 100% healthy? I'd hate to trade Everett and then have Frank go down again with an injury.

soxtalker
06-05-2005, 11:50 AM
I wonder which teams have expressed interest in Everett?

Jjav829
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM
This is all you need to know about who is going....

The problem with trying to trade Thomas now is that his contract stipulates that any team that trades for him automatically would have to pick up the $12 million option for next year.

There's not a team in baseball that is going to want to pay Frank $12 million guaranteed next year. There won't be a market for Frank unless Frank gets so desperate to leave that he pulls a Sammy and asks the MLBPA to allow him to void that year. I don't see that happening. If either of them goes, it's going to be Everett. He's easily the more tradeable of the two.

hose
06-05-2005, 12:06 PM
With this starting staff there is absolutely no reason to carry a seven-man pen. They won't get enough work. The White Sox are only averaging just about 2 1/3 innings of bullpen use per game so far, the fewest in baseball, because their starters have thrown 360 innings, the most in baseball. This is a throwback staff to the 1970s and they would be better off with a long man in the pen and fewer dink relievers.

I agree that the Sox don't need a 7 man pen but, if you can't use 2 relievers in close games, and that is all the Sox play, then you really only have a 4 man pen. And some would say that might be down to 3 1/2 man pen with Cotts being unproven.

Hermanson
Marte
Politte
Cotts

An effective Vizcaino would be awesome , but he isn't getting the job done and Shingo is even worse.

If KW wont send Shingo down then may be adding a 7th man might be one way to get another effective arm .

ilsox7
06-05-2005, 12:21 PM
If one of the two gets dealt, it will be Everett. Thomas recently decided to move up here to Chicago full-time IIRC and he'd probably veto practically any trade. Everett is probably the one that has to go and I hope that we can get a set-up man or closer for him because that's probably our biggest need.

How is a closer our biggest need?

owensmouth
06-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Shingo? Timo? Willie? Vizcaino?

The article is about Carl and Frank, both of them are primarily designated hitters. Ozzie thinks that it's unfair to both of them if they don't get 500 at bats.

Frank can bat right handed. As of now he cannot play first base.

Carl can bat both right and left handed and play a limited amount in the outfield.

But for the most part, Ozzie has to choose between Frank and Carl as to who will be the designated hitter. It doesn't make any difference if you have only a five man pitching staff, Ozzie can only have one of them as the designated hitter.

Furthermore, when Ross Gload comes back up, Ozzie will have three people who can only play first base (Gload, Konerko and Frank).

You can't fix these problems by moving Timo, Vizcaino, Willie or Shingo.

DickAllen72
06-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I say keep both of them.

Since the Sox claim they're so concerned about team chemistry, why in the world would they trade Carl, who has become the team leader and has probably the biggest positive effect on clubhouse chemistry? Trading Carl would have a very negative impact on team chemistry.

The simple answer of course, is to send down Timo. That way, Carl becomes the fourth outfielder, spelling Dye in RF, Pods in LF and Rowand by playing Pods in CF and Carl in LF when Rowand needs a rest. This, plus playing DH a couple of times a week, gives both Carl and Frank plenty of AB's and keeps everyone fresh.

Timo taking away AB's or outfield starts from Carl ruins the whole plan. And Timo's role as a LH pinch hitter is taken by Ross Gload when he's back.

Besides hurting team chemistry, trading Carl would prove to be very costly if it turns out Frank reinjures either his foot or something else because of favoring that foot. If Frank still can't move well enough to risk playing first base, it proves he's still an injury risk.

Lastly, and most importantly, I wouldn't believe anything Joe Cowley reports. The man is a proven trouble maker who stirs things up and takes comments out of context.

TornLabrum
06-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I say keep both of them.

Since the Sox claim they're so concerned about team chemistry, why in the world would they trade Carl, who has become the team leader and has probably the biggest positive effect on clubhouse chemistry? Trading Carl would have a very negative impact on team chemistry.

The simple answer of course, is to send down Timo. That way, Carl becomes the fourth outfielder, spelling Dye in RF, Pods in LF and Rowand by playing Pods in CF and Carl in LF when Rowand needs a rest. This, plus playing DH a couple of times a week, gives both Carl and Frank plenty of AB's and keeps everyone fresh.

Timo taking away AB's or outfield starts from Carl ruins the whole plan. And Timo's role as a LH pinch hitter is taken by Ross Gload when he's back.

Besides hurting team chemistry, trading Carl would prove to be very costly if it turns out Frank reinjures either his foot or something else because of favoring that foot. If Frank still can't move well enough to risk playing first base, it proves he's still an injury risk.

Lastly, and most importantly, I wouldn't believe anything Joe Cowley reports. The man is a proven trouble maker who stirs things up and takes comments out of context.

I heard his much publicized battle with cancer has mellowed him.

Jurr
06-05-2005, 01:32 PM
I say keep both of them.

Well put. That sums it all up. Keep 'em both, and tell either one to shut up if they get out of line.

fusillirob1983
06-05-2005, 02:04 PM
I wonder which teams have expressed interest in Everett?

Chicago White Sox.

Beauty35thStreet
06-05-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree. I say Frank DH's 5 of 6 games. Everett 1 of 6 and plays OF 2 of 6, subsituting 1 of 6 for Dye and 1 of 12 for Rowand and 1 of 12 for Pods.

I seriously do not know what the fascination is with Timo, that Ozzie has.

soxrme
06-06-2005, 11:59 AM
The problem with trading Everett is that we will probably lose 3 minor leaguers getting him back next year.:rolleyes:

SoxFanTillDeath
06-06-2005, 12:33 PM
I agree. I say Frank DH's 5 of 6 games. Everett 1 of 6 and plays OF 2 of 6, subsituting 1 of 6 for Dye and 1 of 12 for Rowand and 1 of 12 for Pods.

I seriously do not know what the fascination is with Timo, that Ozzie has.

Here here...I don't understand it either. I know the guy is a "grinder" and all, and his 1 clutch hit a month (albeit it's his only hit every month) is a great addition, but we need Willie on this team for speed, especially going into NL ballparks for pinch running, and with frank back and an glut at the OF position already, Timo's gotta go!

On a side note, I would really like to see Frank Thomas retire as an alltime Chicago White Sox player. I do not want to ever see him in another uniform. He is the leader at so many categories that it would be wrong to trade him ever. If he wants to leave via free agency than that's his choice, but you can never ever send him away in a trade. Despite what a lot of people believe, Frank Thomas is the Chicago White Sox and has been for a long time. He deserves to be treated with the respect due to a player of his caliber.

IF that means Carl's gotta go, than fine. I know it may come back to bite us if Frank goes down again, but you can DH Konerko and play Gload at 1B, or vice versa, so it's not the end of the world. Besides, if we trade Carl now than KW can trade for him again at the deadline!

SoxFanTillDeath
06-06-2005, 12:34 PM
The problem with trading Everett is that we will probably lose 3 minor leaguers getting him back next year.:rolleyes:

Nice...darn it! You beat me to it!

skobabe8
06-06-2005, 02:20 PM
I say keep both of them.

Carl was laughing his *** off in RF yesterday after Iguchi forgot how many outs there were. He had his glove over his face and was interacting with the crowd. It was pretty funny.