PDA

View Full Version : Why are the flags at US Cellular lowered to half mast?

cheeses_h_rice
06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
During today's game, I noticed that the U.S. flag, the Illinois flag, and all the White Sox flags from playoff years were lowered to half mast.

Is this in honor of Chico Carrasquel? I couldn't think of anyone else that would merit it, and even with Chico it seemed like a stretch, since I didn't think that it was proper to lower the U.S. flag for a non-politician/American hero type.

BRDSR
06-05-2005, 12:38 AM
During today's game, I noticed that the U.S. flag, the Illinois flag, and all the White Sox flags from playoff years were lowered to half mast.

Is this in honor of Chico Carrasquel? I couldn't think of anyone else that would merit it, and even with Chico it seemed like a stretch, since I didn't think that it was proper to lower the U.S. flag for a non-politician/American hero type.

I believe they are lowered for Chico. I first noticed it on Monday at the game. I love Chico as much as the next 19 yearold but I share your sentiments. To lower the United States flag for, not only a non-politician/American hero, but a non-American to boot seems a little overboard. If theres a White Sox flag out there, by all means it may be lowered but the Stars and Stripes? I'm not sure about that.

havelj
06-05-2005, 01:35 AM
Lowered for Memorial Day.

"Only the president of the US or your state governor can order the flag lowered to half-staff."

Nellie_Fox
06-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Half-mast can only happen on a ship, which has masts. On land, the flag is displayed on a staff, thus "half-staff."

TDog
06-05-2005, 04:27 AM
Half-mast can only happen on a ship, which has masts. On land, the flag is displayed on a staff, thus "half-staff."

Good catch. The exception on land is for U.S. Navy and Marine installations. That might have applied at Jack Murphy Stadium on Sunday afternoons, but it doesn't apply at U.S. Cellular Field.

StockdaleForVeep
06-05-2005, 05:03 AM
Its the sentiment that matters

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 07:22 AM
I remember the Green Bay Packers caught some flak for lowering their flag to half staff in honor of Reggie White after he passed away suddenly last Dec.

At the time I wasn't sure what the protocol was on the lowering of the American flag, a practice I thought that was reserved for Presidents, politicians, and military personnel.

itsnotrequired
06-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I remember the Green Bay Packers caught some flak for lowering their flag to half staff in honor of Reggie White after he passed away suddenly last Dec.

At the time I wasn't sure what the protocol was on the lowering of the American flag, a practice I thought that was reserved for Presidents, politicians, and military personnel.

Let's not forget McDonald's catching some heat a few months back when the CEO died and they lowered the US flag at their headquarters.

Spicoli
06-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Here is a very informative link (http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html) about proper U.S. flag etiquette.

Daily I witness so many of these rules being broken.

cheeses_h_rice
06-05-2005, 01:36 PM

Thanks, Nellie. I was battling with that one when I was typing the thread title. Guess I guessed wrong.

:redface:

TornLabrum
06-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks, Nellie. I was battling with that one when I was typing the thread title. Guess I guessed wrong.

:redface:

I'm trying to think of some mnemonic device to help remember that. The best I can think of is: Ships have masts. Arizona has Flagstaff, and there ain't no ships in Arizona.

Of course the Arizona was a ship, so maybe that won't work....

voodoochile
06-05-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm trying to think of some mnemonic device to help remember that. The best I can think of is: Ships have masts. Arizona has Flagstaff, and there ain't no ships in Arizona.

Of course the Arizona was a ship, so maybe that won't work....

Thanks, now that will be stuck in my head forever. One more piece of worthless crap that I will never forget...:tongue:

Johnny Mostil
06-05-2005, 01:48 PM
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall

(1) GWB ordered flags to be flown half-mast for JPII
(2) on Memorial Day, flags are to be flown half-mast only until noon (raised briskly at the beginning of the day, immediately lowered to half-mast, then raised at noon).

cwsox
06-05-2005, 09:55 PM

big assumptions here

I was there and wondered why they were half staff

However my guy instinct tells me that someone from Illinois was killed in Afghanistan or Iraq and the governor ordered the sign of respect

I am quite sure the assumption that the Sox acted on their own on June 4th five days after they did a tribute is just a very easy blame but not valid.

Maybe tomorrow someone can call the Sox and ask before we speculate

ChiSoxGirl
06-05-2005, 11:50 PM
I was out there yesterday and today. Yesterday, the flags were at half mast... today, they were back to normal. Not sure why they were even down in the first place, though.

Huisj
06-06-2005, 01:03 AM
flags in downtown Grand Rapids were half staff yesterday too. I don't know what that was about at all either. it was weird.

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2005, 04:27 AM
For reagan they were flown at half mast for nearly a month i believe, i dont know if the proper rules conform to non current presidents.

Werent the flags at half mast during that tragic russian sub incident years ago when a bunch of civilians were killed?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2005, 08:28 AM
First, the Packers didn't get in trouble for lowering their flag to half-staff to honor Reggie White. They got in trouble for lowering the U.S. flag to half-staff to honor Reggie.

:farmer
"God help us the day the Cheeseheads start dictating our national agenda... almost as bad as Canada!"

I'm only guessing but I bet the Sox Park flags are lowered in honor of Chico Carrasquel. You may have noticed a large honorary "17" behind homeplate. That was Chico's numbers.

I see nothing wrong with it as long as the lowered flags were only Sox flags and not national ones. Furthermore I hope the Sox don't add any silly black armbands to their uniforms. It has become a huge sports cliche and has lost all it's meaning, especially since hardly anyone can remember who the black armbands are honoring.

Johnny Mostil
06-06-2005, 10:29 AM
For reagan they were flown at half mast for nearly a month i believe, i dont know if the proper rules conform to non current presidents.

US flags are flown at half-staff for 30 days following the death of any president. More than perhaps you ever wanted to know about flying the US flag at half-staff follows, from paragraph 7m of the flag code:

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection -

the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and
the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.