PDA

View Full Version : Worthwhile Stats?

Spicoli
06-04-2005, 10:42 PM
I was just on mlb.com and the front page had a picture of Maddux with the caption reading (paraphrase): "He has a liftime 20-11 record and 2.93 era against the Padres." Of course, I could care less about the specific example. It just got me thinking about the value of stats such as these. Are they useful? I mean over Maddux's career, for example, how many different Padres lineups did he face? What good is it to bring up the past given the Padres' new look team? Anybody have any ideas about using stats in this way? Just curious if this is just media filler or if there is any real value in looking at numbers like this? What are your thoughts?

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2005, 10:48 PM
I was just on mlb.com and the front page had a picture of Maddux with the caption reading (paraphrase): "He has a liftime 20-11 record and 2.93 era against the Padres." Of course, I could care less about the specific example. It just got me thinking about the value of stats such as these. Are they useful? I mean over Maddux's career, for example, how many different Padres lineups did he face? What good is it to bring up the past given the Padres' new look team? Anybody have any ideas about using stats in this way? Just curious if this is just media filler or if there is any real value in looking at numbers like this? What are your thoughts?Worthless BS. You're right. Just because he mowed down a Padres lineup in 1996 that doesn't mean a thing today.

Chicago83
06-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah I always get mad when I see the jokers at ESPN bringing up this stat. The stat is almost completely worthless. Now if they said Greg Madduz had a 20-11 record in San Diego, that might mean something. But like No. 2 said it doesn't matter what Greg Maddux did against the '96 Padres' lineup, there is probably not a player on that team still playing for them today.