PDA

View Full Version : Is Ozzie wrong for lashing out??

gosox41
06-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I have to wonder if Ozzie needs to chill a little with the media.

I'm only referring to how he handles his press conferences, and am not second guessing his decision.

But with Ozzie flying off the handle with Brad Palmer and letting Brantley get to him it's a little troublesome. Surewe're winning now and all this gets looked over but what happens if/when the Sox hit a cold streak. Ozzie is going to look like a cry baby.

Brad Palmer asked a question about pulling McCarthy early. IMHO, it was a question that needed to be asked whether you agree with the decision or not. As a fan, I'm curious to his thought process. Palmer didn't even give an opinion he just asked a question. Any media member covering the Sox should and would have asked the same question after the game even if the Sox had won.

As for Brantley....he is an idiot. No doubt. But he's entitled to his opinions, however biased they are (aren't all are opinions here biased.) Brantley is a bit of a dufus, but there have been dufuses (dufi????) in the media for the last 100 years and there will be for the next 100 years. Managers/coaches will always be second guessed, sometimes by morons and sometimes by respected members. Part of a manager's job is to deal with this.

IMHO, Ozzie shoud have a thicker skin. Just go with it. It makes him look bad when he loses it. He sort of did the same thing earlier with Frank. Out of nowhere he goes off on him. And for a guy who doesn't seem to care about Magglio, he's certainly spent a lot of time ripping him a new one (one Magglio deserves.)

It may be Ozzie being Ozzie. But I think a lot mroe people would be getting frustrated by this if this team weren't in first place.

Bob

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I have to wonder if Ozzie needs to chill a little with the media.

I'm only referring to how he handles his press conferences, and am not second guessing his decision.

But with Ozzie flying off the handle with Brad Palmer and letting Brantley get to him it's a little troublesome. Surewe're winning now and all this gets looked over but what happens if/when the Sox hit a cold streak. Ozzie is going to look like a cry baby.

Brad Palmer asked a question about pulling McCarthy early. IMHO, it was a question that needed to be asked whether you agree with the decision or not. As a fan, I'm curious to his thought process. Palmer didn't even give an opinion he just asked a question. Any media member covering the Sox should and would have asked the same question after the game even if the Sox had won.

As for Brantley....he is an idiot. No doubt. But he's entitled to his opinions, however biased they are (aren't all are opinions here biased.) Brantley is a bit of a dufus, but there have been dufuses (dufi????) in the media for the last 100 years and there will be for the next 100 years. Managers/coaches will always be second guessed, sometimes by morons and sometimes by respected members. Part of a manager's job is to deal with this.

IMHO, Ozzie shoud have a thicker skin. Just go with it. It makes him look bad when he loses it. He sort of did the same thing earlier with Frank. Out of nowhere he goes off on him. And for a guy who doesn't seem to care about Magglio, he's certainly spent a lot of time ripping him a new one (one Magglio deserves.)

It may be Ozzie being Ozzie. But I think a lot mroe people would be getting frustrated by this if this team weren't in first place.

BobDitka had a pretty stormy relationship with the media in 1985 and that worked out OK. I don't think it makes a bit of difference. In fact, sometimes it helps because it keeps the media off the players' backs.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2005, 10:56 PM

BobNot me. I love it. These mediots need the people they cover, not vice versa. Ozzie knows that and treats them like the subservients they are. He's a baseball manager. He's not the headmistress at a school of etiquette. Let the mediots grow thicker skin. :redneck

voodoochile
06-04-2005, 10:59 PM
I really don't care what they think of Ozzie. I think it is great. Let the mediots stay focused on Ozzie's rants and not on the Sox players. Then they can concentrate on just playing ball...

whitesoxfan
06-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I like it too. The team seems to like his attitude as well. As long as the team is alright with it, i'm alright with it. Plus when he lashes out, i take it as he cares a lot for his team and he doesn't want some idiot to cry out about them. Ozzie is the man.

TomParrish79
06-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I love his take no (doo-doo) attitude. One of the best things I like about Ozzie is that he speaks whatever is on his mind.

But in being that honest about everything he leaves himself open to more scrutiny, than say a more politically correct manager would get.

But that being said, I hope he keeps on saying whatever is on his mind.

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Let me add this. I happened to hear some of J. Hood's show today, and he was posing the question, "Should Ozzie be taken to task for lashing out at the media and the fans when they criticize him?" I'd like to ask this: when exactly did Ozzie lash out at fans who criticize him? Did I miss something that happened in the last 24 hours where he started criticizing fans?

Or is J. Hood equating the mediots with the fans (which as a fan, I feel insulted by)?

jeremydavid
06-04-2005, 11:26 PM
when you talk your mind all the time some bad things will come out. however, this is just a reflection of the type of manager he is. He obviously cares about the white sox and he will tell people how he feels without any extra BS. so what you see is what you get with the man is the point.

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 11:31 PM
when you talk your mind all the time some bad things will come out. however, this is just a reflection of the type of manager he is. He obviously cares about the white sox and he will tell people how he feels without any extra BS. so what you see is what you get with the man is the point.

I can see where the mediots would have a problem with that. Most of them are so full of ****, you can smell them a mile off.

balke
06-05-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't understand the people that say this. Ozzie is a winning coach, he's taken a projected 4th team, and put them in first. His bashing hasn't caught up to him. I don't know how it WOULD catch up to him, and I can't imagine the worst thing that could happen because of it. Most players seem to really take to him. I don't think his mouth matters at all, until he starts whining. So far he's just taken it to people, not whined.

SOXSINCE'70
06-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Let me add this. I happened to hear some of J. Hood's show today, and he was posing the question, "Should Ozzie be taken to task for lashing out at the media and the fans when they criticize him?" I'd like to ask this: when exactly did Ozzie lash out at fans who criticize him? Did I miss something that happened in the last 24 hours where he started criticizing fans?

Or is J. Hood equating the mediots with the fans (which as a fan, I feel insulted by)?

Jonathan (I refuse to call him "J") :angry: Hood has a lot of nerve posing
this kind of question on his show,if indeed he is a Sox fan.I've
heard him state many times that he is a diehard Sox fan.
Well, a "diehard" Sox fan understood 2 things when OG signed
on in 12/03:

1.He will speak his mind, no matter what.
2.Scrutinize his strategy, and you'll get roasted for it.

The Mediots in this city need to realise that some people won't
just give you stock answers.Ozzie Guillen is one of them.

Dan H
06-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Guillen can speak his mind just so as long he knows he will be under more scrutiny if the Sox keep winning. Speaking your mind is one thing; sounding defensive is another.

As far as Ditka goes, the Bears won a Super Bowl but should have won more.

soxfan26
06-05-2005, 08:41 AM

He might be referring to his comments about fans from Ozzie's playing days, which IMO are not really relevant. Where do some of these mediots get off, "taking Ozzie to task"? *****.

I'm with the rest of Sox fans, I hope the Sox keep on winning and Ozzie keeps on talking.

soxfan26
06-05-2005, 08:45 AM

I agree I think the '85 Bears should have played the AFC in the Pro Bowl game.

BEARS 27
AFC 6

gosox41
06-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Guillen can speak his mind just so as long he knows he will be under more scrutiny if the Sox keep winning. Speaking your mind is one thing; sounding defensive is another.

It's would only sound defensive if this team weren't winning. If the Sox were struggling to make .500 we'd be saying Ozzie sounds like a sore loser. It's easy to run your mouth when winning. But if the winning stops, this act gets old really fast.

Bob

ode to veeck
06-05-2005, 05:31 PM
I agree I think the '85 Bears should have played the AFC in the Pro Bowl game.

BEARS 27
AFC 6

Actually the '85 Bears did essentially play the AFC in the Pro Bowl that year

That said, I love Ozzie's no holds barred attitude and rapport with the media I don't care what they think of him and neither does he. It's frankly a bresh of fresh air, especially when you continue to hear the mediots criticize him, What do they know? Nada ...

Rant on Ozzie!

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Not at all. I love it, many people here love it, and it seems like the team loves it also. I love his attitude and always have. If he ever changed he wouldn't be "Ozzie".

Lip Man 1
06-05-2005, 07:45 PM
If memory serves the bears had 9 guys in the Pro Bowl that year.

McMahon
Covert
Hilgenberg
Payton
Hampton
Dent
Singletary
Duerson
Wilson

Lip

Fake Chet Lemon
06-05-2005, 07:50 PM
I vote for Ozzie being Ozzie. Don't change.

But then if the media decides they don't want to come around can we complain if they don't give us the proper coverage? OF COURSE WE CAN AND WILL!

Tekk
06-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I agree w/ what alot of people are saying, thats just the way Ozzie is. He's always been one to speak his mind regardless of what position he's in. (and regardless if anyone else but him can understand it :redneck)

voodoochile
06-05-2005, 09:08 PM
If memory serves the bears had 9 guys in the Pro Bowl that year.

McMahon
Covert
Hilgenberg
Payton
Hampton
Dent
Singletary
Duerson
Wilson

Lip

The famous Steel Curtain defense of the Steelers one year put nine defensive players on the AFC Pro Bowl squad. At one point they were all on the field, so Lambert starts calling out defensive sets from the Steelers playbook. The other two players are obviously confused and one of the asks, "What do we do?" Lambert replied, "Stay out of our way." :cool:

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
The famous Steel Curtain defense of the Steelers one year put nine defensive players on the AFC Pro Bowl squad. At one point they were all on the field, so Lambert starts calling out defensive sets from the Steelers playbook. The other two players are obviously confused and one of the asks, "What do we do?" Lambert replied, "Stay out of our way." :cool:

That is an awesome story.

Infallible
06-06-2005, 01:15 PM
I think Ozzie needs to go on the J Hood show and choke a b17ch.