PDA

View Full Version : Injuns fire Eddie Murray

Jjav829
06-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Indians fired hitting coach Eddie Murray.
Hitting coordinator Derek Shelton will take over on an interim basis for the rest of the season. The Indians have the AL's worst offense and things haven't gotten much better lately, so something had to be done. Releasing Aaron Boone apparently still isn't an option.

Not only did we take the series, we helped force them to fire their hitting coach. :redneck

Soxzilla
06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
With the lineup they stroll out there everday, Murray is probably happy.

BUT WAIT, THE INJUNS WERE GONNA OWN THE CENTRAL WITH AN INFIELD OF PERALTA, CORA, BOONE AND AN EASTER EGG!

That, and the fact nothing strikes fear in opposing pitchers more so than when Jose Hernandez comes in to pinch it in late inning situations.

Banix12
06-04-2005, 11:23 PM
And Lewin and DJ were talking so glowingly about him all game. Just another excuse, you can't fire the players so fire the coach. If they can't learn anything from Eddie Murray who can they learn from

Daver
06-04-2005, 11:33 PM
And Lewin and DJ were talking so glowingly about him all game. Just another excuse, you can't fire the players so fire the coach. If they can't learn anything from Eddie Murray who can they learn from

A good hitter does not make a good hitting coach.

Harold Baines is a great hitter, he would make a lousy hitting coach, because his swing can't be taught.

Walt Hrniak was a good hitting coach, but only to hitters that were willing to embrace his approach, therefore his overall impact is limited.

Von Joshua was a good hitting coach, because he emphasized the hitters strength's and worked on that, as opposed to trying to change their mechanics.

Greg Walker is a lousy hitting coach, because his approach is to change what players have been doing for years as opposed to working on what they do right, he emphasize's what hitters are doing wrong. That approach can work in the minors, it does not work at the ML level.

White Sox Josh
06-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Harold Baines is a great hitter, he would make a lousy hitting coach, because his swing can't be taught.

Walt Hrniak was a good hitting coach, but only to hitters that were willing to embrace his approach, therefore his overall impact is limited.

Von Joshua was a good hitting coach, because he emphasized the hitters strength's and worked on that, as opposed to trying to change their mechanics.

Greg Walker is a lousy hitting coach, because his approach is to change what players have been doing for years as opposed to working on what they do right, he emphasize's what hitters are doing wrong. That approach can work in the minors, it does not work at the ML level.he would make a lousy hitting coach because he would probably fall asleep while he was supposed to be instructing the hitters.

Banix12
06-05-2005, 03:50 AM

Greg Walker is a lousy hitting coach, because his approach is to change what players have been doing for years as opposed to working on what they do right, he emphasize's what hitters are doing wrong. That approach can work in the minors, it does not work at the ML level.

All I know is Eddie Murray was a genius last year when the indians were tearing the cover off the ball last summer and fall. And they got off to a slow start with the bats last season as well if I recall. The hitting coach never seemed to be the problem before, so all Murray's firing does is place the blame on his shoulders instead of the hitters. Like most hitting coach firings it is just a cover up for poor play

As for walker being a lousy hitting coach, I haven't really seen him try changing any hitters around, with the only exception I can think of really being Joe Crede, and that's largely because his old approach hasn't worked at the Major league level.

But I remember when he took over as hitting coach the first thing he did with Aaron Rowand was make him go back to the approach he had been doing for years instead of using the approach inflicted upon him by the previous hitting coach. So I don't know exactly what you are talking about him trying to change hitters, cause I haven't seen it. All of the hitters on the sox pretty much seem to be the same hitters they have always been.