PDA

View Full Version : Fox coverage of Sox good

gosox41
06-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I caught the last few innings of the game on TV and was impressed by Fox's coverage of the team. They did a good job hyping up Sleep Over Night tonight. Also spoke well of the neighborhood including showing and talking about Jimbo's.

While DJ was the announcer, I don't think he was directing the broadcast and probably had little influence on what was shown/talked about.

Bob

South Side
06-04-2005, 09:17 PM
I really like the idea of micing the players. I found it to be really entertaining. I wish they did that for the Comcast broadcasts. A new player every game. Makes you feel like you're in the dugout with them. Did anyone see the part where Pablo was playing with Juan's hair. Uribe is hysterical.

gosox41
06-04-2005, 09:29 PM
I really like the idea of micing the players. I found it to be really entertaining. I wish they did that for the Comcast broadcasts. A new player every game. Makes you feel like you're in the dugout with them. Did anyone see the part where Pablo was playing with Juan's hair. Uribe is hysterical.

I missed that, but wish I'd seen it.

Bob

SEALgep
06-04-2005, 09:35 PM
The guy announcing with DJ was an idiot.

SpartanSoxFan
06-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Is it just me, or does every Sox national tv broadcast have to contain some stupid announcer's comparison of the North Side and South Side? It seems like they have nothing better to do than blab about how the Flubbs draw more fans even though their team is worse on the field...:angry:

DickAllen72
06-04-2005, 09:50 PM
DJ did a nice job today. It seems like he always does so much better as a color guy when he's not with Hawk.

Maybe they should put DJ on the radio with Rooney and let Melton do the color on TV.

Or if they don't want to fire anybody, put Farmer on TV with Hawk. Farmer's inability to paint a picture with words won't matter on TV, and I doubt Hawk will go along with his long stories about unrelated topics. All we'd have to put up with then from Farmer is his depressing voice.

whitesoxfan
06-04-2005, 10:04 PM

i agree, i think it was Josh Lewin. That guy is TERRIBLE. DJ was the best i've heard him all year though. Its obvious the chemistry between him and Hawk definitely is not the best. I don't think they'll fire DJ, but i think they just might not bring him back when his contract runs up.

jeremydavid
06-04-2005, 10:21 PM
the fox guy sounded like a robot...

elrod
06-04-2005, 10:24 PM
DJ is always good on national broadcasts. He stinks with Hawk. And he's really awful with the guest announcers, I think, except Jack McDowell. Donn "Cast a" Pall "over me" with his droning voice brings DJ down even lower.

robertks61
06-05-2005, 10:17 AM
i agree, i think it was Josh Lewin. That guy is TERRIBLE. DJ was the best i've heard him all year though. Its obvious the chemistry between him and Hawk definitely is not the best. I don't think they'll fire DJ, but i think they just might not bring him back when his contract runs up.

He was Josh Lewin, former Scrub announcer. Enough said.

BearSox
06-05-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm in the opinion that Fox broadscasts are not good for the game of baseball.It makes it very hard for out of towners to see their teams play on the biggest day of the weekend. I'd be more satisfied with Fox if they would just pick one game and show that to all the nation, not six games that are blacked out to mlbtv and directv viewers whether they are recieving a certain game in there area or not. Even though their broadcasters are brutal and clueless I prefer ESPN's national broadcasts because they do it the right way so that all audiences can see their games.

mantis1212
06-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I noticed they did nothing BUT talk about the White Sox- I'd imagine some Cleveland fans are bitching about media bias right about now...

tick53
06-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I caught the last few innings of the game on TV and was impressed by Fox's coverage of the team. They did a good job hyping up Sleep Over Night tonight. Also spoke well of the neighborhood including showing and talking about Jimbo's.

While DJ was the announcer, I don't think he was directing the broadcast and probably had little influence on what was shown/talked about.

Bob

Cellview22
06-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I couldn't watch any of the game yesterday on Fox. My power went out at 2:00, I was hoping it would come back on by 2:30 so I could see 'This Week in Baseball'.. but the electricity didn't come back on untill 7:00. It was the most frustrating afternoon ever. I spent most of it in the driveway in my car listening to Farmer and Rooney. I didn't want to drive away, because if I did that the power would come on right away :angry: . I still haven't seen Frank in action as I was in Cali last weekend. Looking extra forward to today's game.. :gulp:

SEALgep
06-05-2005, 11:34 AM
the fox guy sounded like a robot...Not to mention that he was all for Cleveland. The crap that came out of the guys mouth was unbelieveable. DJ did a good job of keeping tongue in cheek, because I could tell he thought the guy was a moron. He corrected him on some of the stuff.

lths06
06-05-2005, 11:37 AM
I noticed they did nothing BUT talk about the White Sox- I'd imagine some Cleveland fans are bitching about media bias right about now...

That was very true. And one more thing that I noticed that was even worse was when they "faded out" from the game to a commercial brake, they used the Sox logo every time like Comcast does for our games. I'm guessing that Clevelad had their own broadcast with their own announcers...

harwar
06-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Maybe they should put DJ on the radio with Rooney and let Melton do the color on TV.
Or if they don't want to fire anybody, put Farmer on TV with Hawk. Farmer's inability to paint a picture with words won't matter on TV, and I doubt Hawk will go along with his long stories about unrelated topics.

Farmer needs Rooney to keep him from going totally insane on the air.
Also,the very idea of Hawk & Ed Farmer doing the game together makes me smile.
It would go ok at first but after a time they would just be both babbling on and on about whatever comes into their heads,not really paying much attention to what the other guy is saying.
I love both of those guys and Rooney is one of my all-time favorites.
Don't break up Rooney & Farmer and keep Hawk.
Dj can leave or stay,i don't really care.

whitesoxwilkes
06-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Not to mention that he was all for Cleveland. The crap that came out of the guys mouth was unbelieveable. DJ did a good job of keeping tongue in cheek, because I could tell he thought the guy was a moron. He corrected him on some of the stuff.

Lewin's not a moron, he's a knowledgable baseball guy. I'm also kinda biased toward him since he's from my hometown and started broadcasting for our AAA team when he was 16.

That being said, he's a rotten announcer, and his "I Used To Work For The Chubs" bias showed in the early innings when they were talking about attendance.

SEALgep
06-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Lewin's not a moron, he's a knowledgable baseball guy. I'm also kinda biased toward him since he's from my hometown and started broadcasting for our AAA team when he was 16.

That being said, he's a rotten announcer, and his "I Used To Work For The Chubs" bias showed in the early innings when they were talking about attendance.He may know baseball, I just meant how his bias against the Sox was apparent and very annoying.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Is it just me, or does every Sox national tv broadcast have to contain some stupid announcer's comparison of the North Side and South Side? It seems like they have nothing better to do than blab about how the Flubbs draw more fans even though their team is worse on the field...:angry:

I had the same thought. But when in Chicago, I guess you can't ignore the 800lb gorilla in the room that is Cubbie-Nation. Barf.

:barney&sham

Fake Chet Lemon
06-05-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't think they'll fire DJ, but i think they just might not bring him back when his contract runs up.

Jerry Reinsdorf is Chairman of Baseball's Affirmative Action committee so I don't think DJ is going anywhere. I think that's why we were stuck with Jerry Manuel so long, thank goodness Ozzie became available. To be fair, a team located on the South Side of Chicago probably shouldn't have an all white-guy radio and TV booth. It's not a huge step, but baseball has to continue to reach out to the black community and get more youth interested in baseball again.

alohafri
06-05-2005, 08:26 PM

He made Chimp Caray look intelligent.

alohafri
06-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Lewin's not a moron, he's a knowledgable baseball guy. .

Kind of like Pat Hughes? ;)

slavko
06-05-2005, 11:49 PM
And don't forget that Josh Lewin was treated miserably by and then pushed out by Harry Caray so that the Cubs could hire his grandson. I have to admit that I liked Chip as an announcer, not a baseball guy, better than Josh.

rdwj
06-06-2005, 10:56 AM
To be fair, a team located on the South Side of Chicago probably shouldn't have an all white-guy radio and TV booth

How about we just use the best guy available instead of worrying about color so much?

FedEx227
06-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Even though their broadcasters are brutal and clueless I prefer ESPN's national broadcasts because they do it the right way so that all audiences can see their games.

Yeah, except Chicago gets blacked out of any game containing the Cubs/White Sox

bayzbol44
06-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Yes, Hawk is God. Don't ever let him go. DJ has to be the reason why he sounds horrible with Hawk, but sounds great with others on Fox.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-06-2005, 01:02 PM
How about we just use the best guy available instead of worrying about color so much?

Becau$e the world run$ on the color GREEN.

BearSox
06-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, except Chicago gets blacked out of any game containing the Cubs/White Sox

Yes but you still get to watch the game on their flagship stations when thats the case with an ESPN broadcast, Fox that is not the case. Thats why I say its bad for the game because Fox takes away viewers who in all other broacasts have an outlet to watch the game they want whether its directv or mlbtv. I don't know why Fox gets such special privelages to block so many games nationally.

rdwj
06-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Becau$e the world run$ on the color GREEN.

And now you're not making any cents (couldn't resist the pun)