PDA

View Full Version : Frank probably isn't a fan of the film Platoon, either...

Bisco Stu
06-04-2005, 06:43 PM
From CBS Sportsline post-game notes Sat:

He (Frank) said before the game he needs to play and needs his at-bats and didn't sound pleased with the possibility of being a platoon DH with Carl Everett. "Just put me in and let me just do my thing," Thomas said.

South Side
06-04-2005, 06:47 PM
From CBS Sportsline post-game notes Sat:

He (Frank) said before the game he needs to play and needs his at-bats and didn't sound pleased with the possibility of being a platoon DH with Carl Everett. "Just put me in and let me just do my thing," Thomas said.

Wasn't he just saying before he came back that he knows his role and that he has the best interest of the team at mind? I thought he was willing to do whatever it takes for the Sox to continue to win...

whitesoxfan
06-04-2005, 06:48 PM
i really hope they took it out of context on what he said. If not though...

gobears1987
06-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Wasn't he just saying before he came back that he knows his role and that he has the best interest of the team at mind? I thought he was willing to do whatever it takes for the Sox to continue to win...
Sure he said that, but we all know, including Frank, that the best thing for this team is to have him in the lineup. This team does stuff with him in the lineup. Carl has been awfully streaky and is batting only .250 while Frank is a career .300 hitter who draws a ton of walks and sees a ton of pitches. Frank should be in the line-up every day unless he's going against a pitcher whom he's 1 for 40 career against.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2005, 06:53 PM
From the same article:He gave up a two-out triple to Grady Sizemore that left fielder Scott Podsednik appeared to lose in the lightsIt makes one question the accuracy of anything from the "reporter".

wsoxfan
06-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Frank should be in the lineup almost every day, he's way more of a threat to do some damage than Everett is. If Ozzie keeps playing him every 3 days I can't blame him for being pissed off. You can't get in any sort of rythm playing so sporadicaly...

Beauty35thStreet
06-04-2005, 06:54 PM
I agree that Frank isn't a fan of being a platoon DH, but that's ridiculous for anyone to be a fan of platoon anything. You think Everett wants to be a platoon DH? Do you think Crede would be happy if he got benched for his horrible hitting?

I'm willing to bet that if Frank ends up leaving the team, which I hope doesn't happen, and I don't think it will, that Ozzie states he has a bad attitude because he didn't enjoy being benched. My eyes are rolling because I can see it happening.

minastirith67
06-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Frank's simply repeating the obvious. He needs to be in the line damn near every day. The hitting will start to pick up with time but I'd much rather have him DH on a regular basis than Everett.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2005, 07:06 PM
I just saw these comments in the AP post game story and wondered what they were about.

Lip

Jurr
06-04-2005, 07:16 PM
He better not be rocking the boat. That's the LAST thing this team needs. Carl Everett has been a strong leader all year, and we don't need Frank flapping his lips (though I do love him in the lineup). It's only fair to have him splitting time.

South Side
06-04-2005, 07:20 PM
I want Frank in the lineup if he is producing but if he's going to say something one minute don't turn around and contradict yourself.

JB98
06-04-2005, 07:24 PM
He better not be rocking the boat. That's the LAST thing this team needs. Carl Everett has been a strong leader all year, and we don't need Frank flapping his lips (though I do love him in the lineup). It's only fair to have him splitting time.

I think sometimes the things that are said in the paper get overblown by the anti-Sox, anti-Frank mediots. I wouldn't worry too much about this. I'm hoping the situation will create healthy competition. Dye and Everett have started to swing better lately, and hopefully that means they realize they have to produce in order to keep their spot. Ozzie will handle this behind closed doors.

A couple weeks ago, people were all in a huff because Konerko's comment on Uribe's deke was going to "destroy team chemistry." I've yet to see any evidence of that. I don't think this is going to tear us down either.

nedlug
06-04-2005, 07:36 PM
All I am going to say about this is Frank will probably be in the lineup tomorrow. Then, I am just going to wait and see how much he plays during interleague. I really, really, don't want to ever see the Big Hurt in another team's jersey. Ever.

Falstaff
06-04-2005, 07:42 PM
All I can say is the greats know: "There is no 'I' in the word TEAM"
Print this out and meditate on that:bandance:

Tekk
06-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Nobody wants to be a platoon player, I'd worry if he said something along the lines of being pleased about not playing everyday.

Unfortunatly thats his role right now, and he has to deal w/ it.

CYGarland20
06-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Sure he said that, but we all know, including Frank, that the best thing for this team is to have him in the lineup. This team does stuff with him in the lineup. Carl has been awfully streaky and is batting only .250 while Frank is a career .300 hitter who draws a ton of walks and sees a ton of pitches. Frank should be in the line-up every day unless he's going against a pitcher whom he's 1 for 40 career against. I agree 100%. Frank needs to be in the lineup just about everyday. Everett filled in admirably, but Frank is a better hitter, not to mention a bigger presence in the lineup.....As far as Everett goes, if he wants to be in the lineup more, he better work on his fielding skills, or he's going to be relegated to spot DH and left handed PH off the bench.....

compy75
06-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Does anyone see a problem that the greatest hitter in Sox history is being benched for a guy hitting .240? A guy who at the time of his injury LAST YEAR was leading the AMERICAN LEAGUE in home runs and draws consistently over a .400 OBP?

Reality is the Sox have won baseball games because of their superior starting and relief pitching. They have not won because of offense production...Look at our lineup, after the top three hitters, yesterday we did not have ONE hitter 4-9 hitting over .250. Tell me one championship team that had 6 of 9 regulars hitting under .250 in the modern era. The key is not to be complacent with our success, b/c with the ingredients right now I am far from convinced we can get out of one round of the playoffs. See last 15 games..

Mind you I am an attorney, so I am just trying to be subjective.

DickAllen72
06-04-2005, 08:26 PM
I agree 100%. Frank needs to be in the lineup just about everyday. Everett filled in admirably, but Frank is a better hitter, not to mention a bigger presence in the lineup.....As far as Everett goes, if he wants to be in the lineup more, he better work on his fielding skills, or he's going to be relegated to spot DH and left handed PH off the bench.....

Yes, Everett will need to play outfield to get more playing time and more AB's. He can spell Dye in RF, Podsednik in LF, and can play LF with Pods in CF when Rowand needs a rest. He'll also still see significant playing time at DH.

If Frank needs even more playing time, he better brush up on his 1B skills so he can play there on days that Everett is DHing. Whatever is good for the team.

There'll be plenty of playing opportunities for both Carl and Frank, providing Timo doesn't take away AB's and outfield time away from Carl. That would suck. That's why Timo should be sent down when Gload comes back, not Willie Harris.

jehosaphat
06-04-2005, 08:28 PM
I agree 100%. Frank needs to be in the lineup just about everyday. Everett filled in admirably, but Frank is a better hitter, not to mention a bigger presence in the lineup.....As far as Everett goes, if he wants to be in the lineup more, he better work on his fielding skills, or he's going to be relegated to spot DH and left handed PH off the bench.....

Frank? Everett? Bottom line, we got to play whoever gives us the best chance to win. Everett will be streaky; always has been. Frank may be as good as ever, or maybe not; but we'll never know unless he gets enough successive at bats to get into a rhythm. So, I say, at some point Ozzie has to give Frank his shot.

If egos can be kept at bay, this really could be a good problem to have. The usefulness of having a good bat on the bench should not be overlooked.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2005, 08:30 PM
From the same article:It makes one question the accuracy of anything from the "reporter".It was actually just one light. 93,000,000 miles away.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I don't blame Frank for being pissed, but I think he needs to avoid talking to the media about it. I believe the phrase "no comment," would be appropriate.

CYGarland20
06-04-2005, 08:39 PM
If Frank needs even more playing time, he better brush up on his 1B skills so he can play there on days that Everett is DHing. Whatever is good for the team. You would seriously put Frank at 1b, after the injuries he has had the past couple years from playing there sporadicly? That would be insane....This offense has been absolutely awful up till this last week, and Everett has been a part of it. I agree he needs to give the OF's a day's rest here and there, and spot DH for Frank against pitchers that give him problems, but that's it. Frank needs to be in the lineup at least 90% of the time, and that would be as the DH. :cool:

gosox41
06-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Sure he said that, but we all know, including Frank, that the best thing for this team is to have him in the lineup. This team does stuff with him in the lineup. Carl has been awfully streaky and is batting only .250 while Frank is a career .300 hitter who draws a ton of walks and sees a ton of pitches. Frank should be in the line-up every day unless he's going against a pitcher whom he's 1 for 40 career against.

I agree. This team is better with Frank in the line up. He should be a future hall of famer and deserves to be out there everday. Frank at 80-90% is still better then Crazy Carl at his best.

I find it funny how Dye, PK, and Carl all started getting hot when Frank started to get close to being ready for big league action.

I say play Frank every day, and sit who ever is coldest between Dye, PK and Carl.

Bob

nedlug
06-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I tend to think that a baseball team doesn't really care what the media tries to talk about (after watching PTI and Around the Horn every day a couple of years ago, I can honestly say that I don't either). Frank's comment doesn't seem to be negatively directed at anyone, so I don't think this will matter much to the clubhouse. That being said, Frank deserves his shot - I think he's earned it.

South Side
06-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Frank? Everett? Bottom line, we got to play whoever gives us the best chance to win. Everett will be streaky; always has been. Frank may be as good as ever, or maybe not; but we'll never know unless he gets enough successive at bats to get into a rhythm. So, I say, at some point Ozzie has to give Frank his shot.

If egos can be kept at bay, this really could be a good problem to have. The usefulness of having a good bat on the bench should not be overlooked.

I agree. I'd rather have whoever is hitting the ball best and whoever helps our chances of winning, it is being assumed that Frank will always be that person but you don't think Frank will go through some slumps just like everyone else? I don't want Frank out there just b/c he's Frank.... My point is though, that he said he was fine with not playing everyday and if this reporter is accurate he seems to be going back on his word after he plays a couple of games. I just don't want this team to have to handle any unnecessary problems.

DickAllen72
06-04-2005, 09:34 PM
You would seriously put Frank at 1b, after the injuries he has had the past couple years from playing there sporadicly?

Probably not, but that's the only way Frank is going to start on the days Everett is DHing. That's why I prefaced my comment with "If Frank needs even more playing time..."

daveeym
06-04-2005, 09:48 PM
It was actually just one light. 93,000,000 miles away. sorry guys but because of the rain and overcast skies the lights were on.

dugwood31
06-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Frank should be in the lineup every day. Period. Carl Everett is OK, but his OBP against righties is under .300. That's not acceptable, particulary with one of the best OBP players in the history of the game as the alternative. There's not a pitcher in this league that would rather face Frank than Everett. I hope Ozzie doesn't screw this one up.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Frank should be in the lineup every day. Period. Carl Everett is OK, but his OBP against righties is under .300. That's not acceptable, particulary with one of the best OBP players in the history of the game as the alternative. There's not a pitcher in this league that would rather face Frank than Everett. I hope Ozzie doesn't screw this one up.I want him in the lineup every day, period, in October. If that means he needs some time off now, it's well worth it. NO to playing 1B. Just not worth the risk for six games.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2005, 10:00 PM
sorry guys but because of the rain and overcast skies the lights were on.Well, I was blacked out for TV, but R & F specifically said he lost it in the sun. I don't know for sure since I didn't see.

Of course, there are also the people who were at the game or saw it on TV and posted about the sun several times here (including the title of the post game thread). :rolleyes:

compy75
06-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Will someone even ACKNOWLEDGE MY POST. The points of the poor performance of the possible replacements has not even been touched....:D:

voodoochile
06-04-2005, 10:05 PM
All I can say is the greats know: "There is no 'I' in the word TEAM"
Print this out and meditate on that:bandance:

No, but there is a Me, tame, mate, mat, eat, tea and tam...

I probably missed a couple...:rolleyes:

Fredsox
06-05-2005, 06:00 AM
This is just what I was afraid of.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=57531

“I’m not staying fresh this week, just my second start in five days,” said Thomas, who did strain his hip flexor muscle in his first game back. “I’ve got to get my at-bats. I’m ready to go, man. Just, put me in and let me just do my thing.”

The article goes on to describe "tension" building up between Thomas and Guillen, and Thomas expressing frustration at the situation.

I don't know if the reporter is changing Thomas' intent or the context of his statements, but if the statements are accurate I'm not too happy. This guy has a lot of good will right now, he's probably as popular as he's ever been with the fans and his team mates. And he can destroy it all in one interview. My goodness, he's only been back a week.

Edit: More on this in the Cubune http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050604soxbrite,1,4525757.story?coll=cs-home-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

He seems to be saying he needs his at-bats but he can't play the field. He goes on to say:

"If it doesn't [work out], it could be a long year, but we'll see how it works. Carl and I, we've both got to play. We know that. … I'm going to take it one day at a time right now."

Can't he just pass on the question? He can have an opinion, but does he have to share it with the media?

The Racehorse
06-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Nice

Dan H
06-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Thomas is right; he does need his at-bats. He has been gone for nearly a year and needs to see major league pitching. Problem is, as Morrissey points out in his Tribune column today, the Sox are going on the road against two National League teams this coming week, and Thomas isn't healthy enough to play first. It might have been wiser to let Thomas stay on rehab until this road trip was over.

The Sox need Thomas, but his return complicated things. And fans can't expect him to hit .350 and have 40 a year home run pace. He's 37 and coming off a serious injury. Both Thomas and the fans need to realize none of this is going to be easy. It would help not to whine.

gosox41
06-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Thomas is right; he does need his at-bats. He has been gone for nearly a year and needs to see major league pitching. Problem is, as Morrissey points out in his Tribune column today, the Sox are going on the road against two National League teams this coming week, and Thomas isn't healthy enough to play first. It might have been wiser to let Thomas stay on rehab until this road trip was over.

The Sox need Thomas, but his return complicated things. And fans can't expect him to hit .350 and have 40 a year home run pace. He's 37 and coming off a serious injury. Both Thomas and the fans need to realize none of this is going to be easy. It would help not to whine.

It would definitely help not to whine. But after this roadtrip against the NL (where I assume Thomas will pinch hit almost every game if needed) Thomas should be out there everyday. Thomas at 80% is still better then Everett at 100%. And Thomas will get to that level sooner if he plays more.

As for staying in rehab, I'm pretty sure Thomas could only spend 20 games in the minors with his permission and those 20 games would have been up right before the start of the NL games. I may be wrong on that, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Bob

harwar
06-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I really am hesitant to believe anything i read about Big Frank.
He has been attacked and taken out of context so much that the media has loss all relevancy.
Also,the guy is going to be frustrated with what hes' trying to do here and is simply venting.
I think that Frank is better off doing what he usually ends up doing..don't talk to the press,because most of them have their own agendas and are just out to hurt the WHITE SOX and celebrate the cubs.

Fredsox
06-05-2005, 08:07 AM
I really am hesitant to believe anything i read about Big Frank.
He has been attacked and taken out of context so much that the media has loss all relevancy.
Also,the guy is going to be frustrated with what hes' trying to do here and is simply venting.
I think that Frank is better off doing what he usually ends up doing..don't talk to the press,because most of them have their own agendas and are just out to hurt the WHITE SOX and celebrate the cubs.

Agreed. The press will do anything they can to create a story. To paraphrase the late Mayor Daly, they're here to both create and preseve dis-order. Frank can be dissatisfied, he can want to play every day, but he needs to keep that between himself and his manager. I don't think he's ever tried to get something done in the press and been successful at it.

bluestar
06-05-2005, 08:14 AM
This article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050605&content_id=1076064&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) makes it sound more like Frank understands the situation and is being patient -- not disgruntled at all.

soxfan26
06-05-2005, 08:22 AM
This from the MLB article just about sums it up for me...

Whether Thomas wants it or deserves it, a hailstorm of attention seems to follow the 16-year-veteran.

Like another poster said, with the Flubs playing well lately it's time for the mediots to play their silly headline games.

FLUBS WIN 8 of 9, DUSTY SAYS D. LEE IS BETTER THAN SLICED BREAD.

THOMAS WANTS TO BE PLAYER MANAGER - "I CAN DO IT BETTER THAN OZZIE".

Sox sweep the Indians.

voodoochile
06-05-2005, 08:36 AM
This article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050605&content_id=1076064&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) makes it sound more like Frank understands the situation and is being patient -- not disgruntled at all.

On the flip side, Thomas' teammates know that his drive to succeed sometimes manifests itself in outward frustration because he has such a strong desire to contribute. They also understand that he has bought into the team-first concept 100 percent. (snip)

"He expects a lot of himself, but you know the one difference I notice this season is he bought into this whole team concept right now.

"The bottom line is he wants to win, and he wants the ring," Rowand added. "For the stuff he has accomplished in his career, the man deserves a ring."

'Nuff said...

I am shocked... shocked do you hear that the other media sources would be looking for controversy here...:rolleyes:

Fredsox
06-05-2005, 08:44 AM
'Nuff said...

I am shocked... shocked do you hear that the other media sources would be looking for controversy here...:rolleyes:

I hope you're right on this. Thomas can be so valuable by encouraging the other players and leading by example. Additionally (and probably the subject on other threads here) the truth is that we can't keep this situation as it is now, and since Thomas is pretty much untradeable I would not be surprised at all to see Big Carl moved. Guillen made the comment (referring to Gload) "I already have 3 guys who can only play 1 position well: Thomas, Everett, and Konerko. Why would I need another one?"

Something is gonna happen soon and I don't know what it is, but I think a lot of us are going to be surprised.

Dibbs
06-05-2005, 10:12 AM
If Thomas is ready to go, he should be batting 3rd in the lineup EVERY SINGLE DAY. He is the best hitter on the team. Forget Everett....is he tearing it up or something? Does his .306 OBP make him a must start? Anyone would have a bunch of RBIs batting in the spots Everett has on this year's team. Maybe I missed something because I have only seen every game.

Irishsox1
06-05-2005, 10:18 AM
I've read 3 articles about this and I can't see how Thomas is complaining about anything. All he said was that to get back into a grove he needs to hit more. I agree.

If the media keeps distorting what he says, Frank should stop talking to the media.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Once again, ignore the media spin and look at what Thomas actually said:

"I don't know. I'm not staying fresh this week. [Saturday] is my second start in five days. Take every at-bat like it's your last, that's the way I look at it. Make use of what you get."

"I haven't really digested the situation yet," he said. "It's very unusual for me, not to be playing. But these guys are in first place, they did it without me. I've just got to make use of opportunities and go and do my thing and see how it works out.

"If it doesn't [work out], it could be a long year, but we'll see how it works. Carl and I, we've both got to play. We know that. … I'm going to take it one day at a time right now."

"I'm ready to go. Put me in and let me do my thing."

Wow. What a complainer.

This is just lazy journalism. They could go out and get a real story, but that would require actual work. So you just find a player who isn't playing and ask him if he's happy about it. What player doesn't want to be playing? So you write the boilerplate story about how so-and-so isn't happy about not playing and 10 minutes later you're done and back in the bar with your buddies.

Need more proof:
His day Saturday included his first hit of the season, a single, and first run...What ever happened to fact checking? How much effort would have been required?

TornLabrum
06-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Once again, ignore the media spin and look at what Thomas actually said:

"I don't know. I'm not staying fresh this week. [Saturday] is my second start in five days. Take every at-bat like it's your last, that's the way I look at it. Make use of what you get."

"I haven't really digested the situation yet," he said. "It's very unusual for me, not to be playing. But these guys are in first place, they did it without me. I've just got to make use of opportunities and go and do my thing and see how it works out.

"I'm ready to go. Put me in and let me do my thing."

Wow. What a complainer.

This is just lazy journalism. They could go out and get a real story, but that would require actual work. So you just find a player who isn't playing and ask him if he's happy about it. What player doesn't want to be playing? So you write the boilerplate story about how so-and-so isn't happy about not playing and 10 minutes later you're done and back in the bar with your buddies.

Need more proof:
What ever happened to fact checking? How much effort would have been required?

Didn't you know? Runs scored after walks aren't real runs.

seanpmurphy
06-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Well, I was blacked out for TV, but R & F specifically said he lost it in the sun. I don't know for sure since I didn't see.

Of course, there are also the people who were at the game or saw it on TV and posted about the sun several times here (including the title of the post game thread). :rolleyes:

R&F did say the sun, but mentioned several times about the lights being on. Who cares, he dropped the ball is the point.

Jurr
06-05-2005, 12:23 PM
'Nuff said...

Yeah....it's probably more media garbage, trying to pry the frustration out of Frank to get a soundbite. If that's the way you get paid, that's what you have to do. I'd hate having a job where I had to be a leech for drama.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2005, 12:24 PM
This story in the Daily Southtown was interesting. Trade possible?

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd2.htm

Lip

DickAllen72
06-05-2005, 12:32 PM
There's a whole thread on that Cowley article about trading Everett or Thomas.

TornLabrum
06-05-2005, 12:38 PM
R&F did say the sun, but mentioned several times about the lights being on. Who cares, he dropped the ball is the point.

1) I was in the left field bleachers yesterday. It was definitely the sun. Crisp lost one in the sun the half-inning before, but saved by his shortstop.

2) He didn't drop the ball. In fact he never got within 30 feet of the ball.

FarWestChicago
06-05-2005, 12:59 PM
R&F did say the sun, but mentioned several times about the lights being on. Who cares, he dropped the ball is the point.Because the same "writer" trying to create a new Frank "controversy" had two other major factual errors in his "report". How accurate is any of it?

WhiteSoxFan84
06-05-2005, 01:06 PM
From the same article:It makes one question the accuracy of anything from the "reporter".

i saw that too and was laughing at it. BUT, i remember rooney saying that the lights were on because of the clouds that darkened the skies a couple of times.

when i was watching the game in the 9th, i did notice a lot of sunshine and podsednik was looking straight up and it probably was the sun.

the whole frank thomas comment, i wont believe it until he says something again.

Jerome
06-05-2005, 01:09 PM
I agree with Frank. I love Carl, but he is not Frank Thomas. The only Playing time C-EV should play is:

-Podsednik not in lineup
-Rowand not in lineup
-Dye not in lineup (I am in favor of playing whoever is hitting better, Carl or Dye)
-Konerko not in linep, Frank moves to First
-We are facing a pitcher that Frank cannot hit (don't know of any)

Carl is a great guy to have on the team. But as of now it looks like there are better players at every position in front of him on the depth chart. At least we won't be seeing too much more Timo Perez though.

(OBP / SLG / BA)

Rowand=.350 / .435 / .290
Konerko=.342 / .476 / .230
Dye= .287 / .470 / .240
Carl= .306 / .424 / .247

Dye's and Carl's OBPs are bad. But when you factor in the slugging, and assuming Dye is better defensively, i think Carl stands to lose some playing time and I'm okay with that. (They all have more HRs than Rowand but I think that all we'd prefer Rowand playing every day than Carl)

IMO this whole situation is a good thing.

Kudos to KW to providing depth. Anyone who says "smallball, no power, etc..." i have a feeling is about to be proven wrong. They should still be able to smack plenty of HRs.

ode to veeck
06-05-2005, 05:10 PM
if Frank is healthy, he should be playing every day, at least in AL parks, Carl can come up with some clutch hits and has great attitude, but he ain't no Hurt

ode to veeck
06-05-2005, 05:22 PM
and he just proved it in the 10th ...

gosox41
06-05-2005, 05:31 PM

YES!!!!!!:bandance:

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 05:43 PM

And Carl did a great job also. I would love to have both Frank and Carl in the line up all the time. Can Carl play first and if not, can he learn...please...

Deadguy
06-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Frank really needs to just keep his mouth shut about this situation. Frank is just too emotional and tempermental when it comes to dealing with certain situations with respects to the game of baseball, which is why I would be a happy Frank fan if he never spoke to the media again. Even as a slobbering fan boy, I know it's not a question of if Thomas was say something stupid, it's just a question of when.

Thomas has worked very hard to come back from a near-career ending injury, so I'm not surprised that he might get emotional for not even being given a chance. If he's not in the lineup everyday, it will be nearly impossible for him to get into rhythm. Guys like Dye, Konerko, Everett, Crede, Rowand, etc. all have been given many, many chances to work through slumps. Thomas is arguably more of an impact player than any of the above, so why wouldn't he be frustrated with the possibility of being platooned. Everett has been clutch at times and he did the job he was expected to do, but he's not Frank Thomas. The best player should be playing, but you can't judge who is swinging the bat better by comparing them on a day to day basis.

ode to veeck
06-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Frank really needs to just keep his mouth shut about this situation [...]

Hard to do when the press is stuffing their feet in there for him. Fortunately, Ozzie takes the poorly contexted press reports with more salt than a lot of posters on WSI.

Palehose13
06-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Hard to do when the press is stuffing their feet in there for him. Fortunately, Ozzie takes the poorly contexted press reports with more salt than a lot of posters on WSI.

No doubt. I think ozzie knows a little something about being taken out of context and misrepresented by the media. Hell, some people here still don't know the real story behind Ozzie's infamous quote about the fans back in his playing days.

ssginc
06-06-2005, 01:34 AM
When he went down last year, Frank Thomas was leading the AL in HR and BB... he also ranked second in OBP and third in OPS.

Hence, that this “issue” is even an issue at all is a complete and utter JOKE, and a total slap in the face to Frank Thomas... a future HOF whose bat this year has been sorely missed by an offense that struggled to score runs for a large portion of the season.

Now don’t get me wrong, I understand the difficult decision Ozzie has… after all, how in the world do you keep a .247 hitter (and his “stellar” .730/ops) out of the lineup!?!?

:rolleyes:

Having said that, I also can't believe “some” folks are actually getting on Frank’s case for indirectly expressing his displeasure with the fact that Ozzie seems more concerned with winning a popularity contest, rather than putting the best lineup out there on an every day basis.

Bottom line… Thomas is our BEST HITTER. And unless I’m missing something, it’s usually wise to play your best guys everyday. Does Bonds platoon when he returns from the DL? Rolen? Maggs? Bagwell? Garciaparra?

Hell no… and neither should Thomas!

Furthermore, it was always understood (and even implied) that Everett would back up Thomas upon Frank’s return. So what happened... except the fact that, IMO anyway, Ozzie is deliberately trying to F--- with Frank Thomas.

And of course the media-slime is right there, oh so eager to (once again) vilify Thomas and portray him as a distraction by taking things out of context!

Perhaps one day, maybe 20 years from now, the city of Chicago, the media-slime, and even "some" fans will finally begin to appreciate what Frank Thomas has meant to the White Sox!

No brushes with the law, no altercations with fans, no cheating (corked bats, steroids... hello Sammy Sosa); just an IMperfect man who loves Chicago and wants to spend the rest of his HOF career playing for the White Sox... as their EVERYDAY designated hitter.

F--- Ozzie Guillen and his bid to win the Most Popular Manager award! If he wants to be "fair" let him go manage a little league baseball team!

:angry:

DickAllen72
06-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Bottom line? Thomas is our BEST HITTER. And unless I?m missing something, it?s usually wise to play your best guys everyday. Does Bonds platoon when he returns from the DL? Rolen? Maggs? Bagwell? Garciaparra?[/size][/font][/color]

Hell no? and neither should Thomas!

Furthermore, it was always understood (and even implied) that Everett would back up Thomas upon Frank?s return. So what happened... except the fact that, IMO anyway, Ozzie is deliberately trying to F--- with Frank Thomas.

And of course the media-slime is right there, oh so eager to (once again) vilify Thomas and portray him as a distraction by taking things out of context!

Perhaps one day, maybe 20 years from now, the city of Chicago, the media-slime, and even "some" fans will finally begin to appreciate what Frank Thomas has meant to the White Sox!

No brushes with the law, no altercations with fans, no cheating (corked bats, steroids... hello Sammy Sosa); just an IMperfect man who loves Chicago and wants to spend the rest of his HOF career playing for the White Sox... as their EVERYDAY designated hitter.

F--- Ozzie Guillen and his bid to win the Most Popular Manager award! If he wants to be "fair" let him go manage a little league baseball team!

:angry:

Calm down. Frank's going to get his AB's.

Frank just came back from a very serious injury and he's still nowhere near 100%. He hurt himself his first day back and he can't even hazard a chance to play 1B for fear of ending his career.

Keeping all that in mind, did you expect Ozzie to immediately stick him in the starting lineup every day? Carl has been getting hot again at the plate and the one and only day Thomas was benched in favor of Carl not due to Frank's hip flexor injury was the day they were facing a pitcher whom Carl has a history of owning.

With Carl being able to spell all three outfielders from time to time plus DHing a couple of times a week, there is no big problem getting Frank enough AB's. The only thing that can throw a monkey wrench in the works is if Ozzie insists on cutting into Carl's playing time by keeping Timo around and using him as often as he has been. Then Carl will be inserted more often as DH, at Frank's expense, which I'm sure most of us agree should NOT happen if Frank is healthy enough to bat and run the bases.

ode to veeck
06-06-2005, 06:12 PM
ssginc,

first of all, welcome to WSI!

I look at Ozzie's replies to the press on the matter of when Thomas will play as just a brush off. He does want the press telling him or second guessing how to run his club, while in real fact, as was pointed out, Frank is still recovering from a major injury and isn't fully 100% yet. I would be totally surprized if a healthy Frank is not getting day to day ABs once he's healthy.

Mr. White Sox
06-06-2005, 06:22 PM
:hurt
"GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Whatever, he knew this would happen, and so did ozzie. Play like a team, and if the sox lose games because Pods hits into a triple play and commits a 3 base error, or Paulie does the same, then we can be annoyed, I guess.