PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/4/05 sun in pods eyes but we won post game thread

DoggPhood
06-04-2005, 07:22 PM
phew. that was a weird play. but glad we got the W.

that ball was nowhere near him

mccoydp
06-04-2005, 07:23 PM
That's a wrap!

Dustin kept it interesting for Garland's ninth victory!

:supernana:

BigEdWalsh
06-04-2005, 07:24 PM
:WU

A win is a win. Hermanson saves the day. :bandance:

DoggPhood
:WU

A win is a win. Hermanson saves the day. :bandance:

that GRAPHIC is ugly :tongue:

delben91
Did Pods actually lose that Sizemore triple in the sun? I wasn't able to see the game.

Beyond that though, yet another nice win, nice team effort all around. Garland wasn't his best, but kept the Sox in it, can't ask for anything more. Looks like the middle of the order is starting to come around just a bit, which is nice to see.

GO SOX!

Cowhead418
06-04-2005, 07:25 PM
20-4 against the Central. Wow, just wow.:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :)

eastchicagosoxfan
06-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Good job fellas. Going for the sweep tomorrow, with bottom-feeder Colorado next. The Sox are making some hay.:supernana:

Stroker Ace
SOX WIN!!! YESSSSS!!!!!

Jjav829
Well, that certainly got a little interesting. But it's another series win! :bandance:

Crede has homered in 3 of the last 4 games. Those are the only hits he has had, but he also did a nice job moving the runner over today.

Maybe the two off-days helped Konerko...

markopat
LOVE the "W"...But we could do without the 9th inning drama!

:bandance:

whitesoxfan
06-04-2005, 07:28 PM
a W is a W. I'm more then glad that we got it :D:

LF looked like a mess today, several easy flyballs were lost in that sun. At least we came out on the good end of today's game.

Sox of White
06-04-2005, 07:29 PM
LOVE the "W"...But we could do without the 9th inning drama!

:bandance:

Hey, as long as we win it I am okay with the drama.

Jjav829
06-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Did Pods actually lose that Sizemore triple in the sun? I wasn't able to see the game.

Yes. Pods started coming in, using his glove to try to block the sun. He gave a shoulder shrug like he couldn't find it, then looked into Uribe. The ball was a good 25 feet behind him and went to the warning track. I didn't see, but some in the chat said he didn't have his glasses down. I'm not sure about that. I wish Pods would have looked in to Uribe a little earlier when he knew that he couldn't see the ball. I'm surprised that wasn't scored an error. But it didn't hurt us, thankfully, so no big deal.

Muopsies
06-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I don't like the late afternoon games for that reason. Is that an earned run? A win is a win though, keep it going.

gobears1987
06-04-2005, 07:35 PM
nice win, now go Yankees

JB98
06-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes. Pods started coming in, using his glove to try to block the sun. He gave a shoulder shrug like he couldn't find it, then looked into Uribe. The ball was a good 25 feet behind him and went to the warning track. I didn't see, but some in the chat said he didn't have his glasses down. I'm not sure about that. I wish Pods would have looked in to Uribe a little earlier when he knew that he couldn't see the ball. I'm surprised that wasn't scored an error. But it didn't hurt us, thankfully, so no big deal.

They never give guys an error when they lose one in the sun. You can't catch what you can't see.

If you've ever been out to the Cell for batting practice before a summer evening game, you probably know just what Pods was looking into. Right around 6 p.m., it's always just brutal in left field.

Jjav829
06-04-2005, 07:37 PM
They never give guys an error when they lose one in the sun. You can't catch what you can't see.

If you've ever been out to the Cell for batting practice before a summer evening game, you probably know just what Pods was looking into. Right around 6 p.m., it's always just brutal in left field.

Yeah, I've seen that view before. Actually tried to catch a batting practice ball in left with that sun and ended up misplaying it as I lost it in the sun. It ended up a few rows higher than me.

I can see the point on not giving an error.

nedlug
06-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Where's that Tribe guy who said the Indians would take 2 out of 3?

Foulke You
06-04-2005, 07:41 PM

Yep, my season ticket package was in LF a couple years ago and every 6:05 start, the sun would be absolutely BRUTAL around that time even with a baseball cap and sunglasses. I imagine it is even worse now that the Upper Deck is lower which probably allows even more sunlight through. Nice win for the Sox. Also nice to see Crede come through in the clutch with a big HR.

SoxSpeed22
06-04-2005, 07:47 PM
20 wins against our own division. Good hitting. Go for sweep.

JB98
06-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Where's that Tribe guy who said the Indians would take 2 out of 3?

He's been banned. See the thread in the Roadhouse.

Hendu
06-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Got a little scary there at the end, but a win is a win. Garland goes to 9-2 and the offense seems to be coming around. Nice.

nedlug
06-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Well, let's get 3 here. Here's to Ozzie not putting a terrible lineup out there!

JB98
06-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, let's get 3 here. Here's to Ozzie not putting a terrible lineup out there!

With Sabathia on the mound, I doubt he'll put Perez or Harris in there. We might see Ozuna or Everett in LF. I'm sure Widger will spell A.J.

cheeses_h_rice
06-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Just got back from the Cell.

Interesting day, starting with the Wizard of Oz-esque weather that hit right around 2:30, probably the closest to a tornado I've seen in a while.

Garland was decent, not great, but just good enough to weasel out of big innings. AJ, any time you want to leg out a line drive that might not be caught, be my guest. The huge inning ending 6-3 DP was a bit of a gift, as it appeared from where I was sitting that Uribe didn't reach second base in time to get the lead runner (and why he didn't toss it to Iguchi, I dunno). Awesome to see so many 2-strike or 2-out hits, especially guys like Rowand and Crede. Big Frank finally got on the hit board for the year. Hermanson got screwed by the weird defense -- I've never seen anyone misjudge a fly ball in the sun as badly as Pods did, and why was Konerko playing so far in on the next play (the single over his head), seeing as it was the batter that was the important run, not the guy on third?

Another thing that was unusual was Cleveland's defensive setups; the shifts they were putting on our batters seemed to be the opposite of what they should have been doing -- they had AJ defended as if he was an opposite field hitter, and same for Konerko, when both guys are bigtime pull hitters. AJ was able to rope one into the RF corner for a double that otherwise would have been a single.

Another series under our belt, and I hope Ozzie goes for the kill tomorrow with his lineup.

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
06-04-2005, 08:08 PM
I wasn't able to see the game in this area. Just watched the highlights on Comcast. That weather was freaky, extremely black dark skies at one point then bright sun the other.

The Sox sure know how to make things 'interesting' but a win is a win. LOL

Lip

voodoochile
06-04-2005, 08:12 PM
:winner

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

slavko
06-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Need 5 outs? I get you five outs. Without nibbling for strikes or throwing a tantrum over bad breaks. That's a closer.

batmanZoSo
06-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I've seen that view before. Actually tried to catch a batting practice ball in left with that sun and ended up misplaying it as I lost it in the sun. It ended up a few rows higher than me.

I can see the point on not giving an error.

What the HELL was he doing with his glasses flipped up? I hear Farmer comment on this all the time and I finally see a prime example. Either put them down or don't wear them! And if you're in left at the Cell, I highly suggest you wear them.

The weather was freaky. I remember just before Pods misplayed that ball, my grandma commented on the sun coming out because all of the sudden it got really bright in the house and everything turned golden orange. Which is weird because I live about 20 miles from the park. The game had no in-game delays, but it absolutely poured like I haven't seen in a long time where I was.

JB98
06-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Need 5 outs? I get you five outs. Without nibbling for strikes or throwing a tantrum over bad breaks. That's a closer.

Good post. This was one of the better outings by Hermanson all year because he overcame bad breaks. A couple weeks ago, Dustin was quoted as saying good luck had helped him during his scoreless streak. Well, he had no luck whatsoever today, and he still got the job done.

JGarlandrules20
06-04-2005, 09:43 PM
My first white sox winner of the 2005 season! :smile:

That was an exciting game. The Indians would not quit. The weather was crazy. Sunny, hot, windy, chilly, dark.

Frank picks up his first hit and Garland gets his ninth victory. :bandance:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/pliffcolitte/june%204th/whitesoxwinner.jpg

gosox41
06-04-2005, 09:46 PM
that GRAPHIC is ugly :tongue:

Ugly meaning attractive or ugly meaning ugly?:D:

Bob

nedlug
06-04-2005, 09:59 PM
On an unrelated topic, I am watching the Twins on Minneapolis TV and a-rod just singled to put runners on 1st and 3rd with one out. Sierra just drove in Matsui, and the Yanks are up 4-3 in the top of the 10th. I've never really pulled for Mariano, but here it is.

downstairs
06-04-2005, 10:31 PM
On an unrelated topic, I am watching the Twins on Minneapolis TV and a-rod just singled to put runners on 1st and 3rd with one out. Sierra just drove in Matsui, and the Yanks are up 4-3 in the top of the 10th. I've never really pulled for Mariano, but here it is.

Its done now, and we're 4.5 up again!

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 10:34 PM

Beyond that though, yet another nice win, nice team effort all around. Garland wasn't his best, but kept the Sox in it, can't ask for anything more. Looks like the middle of the order is starting to come around just a bit, which is nice to see.

GO SOX!

We were sitting behind Pods in the LF bleachers. The sun was brutal, and the ball was coming out of the shade directly into the solar disc. Just the half inning before Crisp lost one and the shortstop had to save his ass by making a great catch. The thing that kind of bugs me is that I didn't see sun glasses on either of them.

TomParrish79
06-04-2005, 10:38 PM
I didnt get to see the game, wasnt on television in this area, but I am glad Garland got his 9th, and cant wait to see Buehrle take the hill tommorrow.

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
What the HELL was he doing with his glasses flipped up? I hear Farmer comment on this all the time and I finally see a prime example. Either put them down or don't wear them! And if you're in left at the Cell, I highly suggest you wear them.

The weather was freaky. I remember just before Pods misplayed that ball, my grandma commented on the sun coming out because all of the sudden it got really bright in the house and everything turned golden orange. Which is weird because I live about 20 miles from the park. The game had no in-game delays, but it absolutely poured like I haven't seen in a long time where I was.

Speaking of which....

Jeff and I were in the booth with Nancy Faust when Buehrle and somebody else started doing the slip 'n' slide thing on the tarp. I couldn't tell who it was, and somebody said it looked like Ozzie. Did anybody get a good look at whoever it was?

Cowhead418
06-04-2005, 10:41 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance: :twinslose

Ol' No. 2
Speaking of which....

Jeff and I were in the booth with Nancy Faust when Buehrle and somebody else started doing the slip 'n' slide thing on the tarp. I couldn't tell who it was, and somebody said it looked like Ozzie. Did anybody get a good look at whoever it was?Man Soo Lee.

Heffalump
Speaking of which....

Jeff and I were in the booth with Nancy Faust when Buehrle and somebody else started doing the slip 'n' slide thing on the tarp. I couldn't tell who it was, and somebody said it looked like Ozzie. Did anybody get a good look at whoever it was?

I believe it was Buehrle and Man Soo Lee

delben91
06-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Speaking of which....

Yeah, what Ol' No.2 and Heffalump said (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51484).

elrod
06-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Tomorrow will be tough, with Sabathia. I'm going to the game with my 3-year old, but not with the 1-year old - thankfully. I took both of them to the Rangers day game a week ago and a security guard handed my son a foul ball from Tadahito Iguchi. Very cool.

PicktoCLick72
06-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Despite any sun problems, nice win all around. Garland looked good and the offense is strating to string together hits. Let's ope Mark can show Sabathia who actually owns Us. Cellular field.

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah, what Ol' No.2 and Heffalump said (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51484).

Not only that, but I found the answer in another thread!

ChiSoxGirl
06-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Great game, but strange happenings at the 'ol ballpark! Got down there early (1p) and was roasting in the sun waiting for the gates to open. We went to our seats in 113 and continued baking. I told my friend that it was going to rain, which she denied. Telling her to turn around and look at the ominous sky, she was convinced. I'd called home to see if there'd been a storm in Des Plaines and found out that what was headed the way of the ballpark wasn't going to be pretty. No sooner did I end the 30 second conversation did this eerie sound start coming from above- not sure if it was the wind or rain starting to hit on the roof of the upper deck- and we bailed. I did get some great pictures of the ominous conditions on the new digital camera, though.

We're standing on the concourse and my friend asks me if I think anyone will slide across the tarp, to which I responded, "No way; not in a pennant race! Can't risk injury." Five minutes later, there's Buehrle slip 'n slidin' it across the tarp, only go to back and get Man Soo Lee to join in on the fun. Got a couple great pictures of that silliness! My friend asked me if Ozzie knew what he was up to and I was like, "Are you kidding? He's probably the one who told him to go out there!" The best was after the game when someone from the media asked Ozzie what he thought about one of his best pitchers sliding across the tarp... he had no clue what Buehrle had done, so the media guy was just like, "uh... nevermind," and the room broke out into laughs! :D:

The game itself was good. It was nice to see the Sox match the Tribe +1 in the first inning. Crede and Konerko getting into one was nice to see, especially for Mr. "6-for-my-last-61 going into the game" Crede. Dye and Rowand continue to sting the ball, and Rowand's defense continues to be top notch. When he made that great play at the wall, I yelled, "Rowand, you're mine!" which the guys in front of me found humorous.

All in all, a hot, fun, exciting, but LONG day at the ballpark... and I'm going again tomorrow- Sec. 113, Row 6. There's no better way to spend a summer weekend than at Comiskey Park! :bandance:

Corlose 15
06-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Weird day at the old ballpark. To quote Porter from Sandlot I was "baking like a toasted cheeser" walking along the concourse. Then we went up to the fundamentals and one of the workers cleared us out because he said it was gonna rain. Man did it pour for at least a half hour. Great job by the crew getting the field ready to play. In the 1st inning an Indian(I don't know who) lead off the game with a hit and it just died in a puddle in CF. However, things dried up really well.

The 9th inning was pretty weird, I remember thinking "Man Podsednik looks awful shallow on that fly ball", sure enough it lands 25 some feet behind him. Garland was good but not great and it was all enough for a White Sox Winner. I'm happy.

jhill36
06-05-2005, 03:15 AM
Great game. Cleveland battled but we stayed one step ahead of them. Big Hurt's run did end up being the difference in the game after all. I'm glad he's getting at bats.

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana::smile :

4.5 game lead on Twinkies

GO SOX

Nellie_Fox
06-05-2005, 03:29 AM
In past years, Garland always melted down in the 5th or 6th inning. He did that in his last start.

Today, he could have melted down in either inning, but didn't. Good sign.

Jurr
06-05-2005, 02:02 PM
In past years, Garland always melted down in the 5th or 6th inning. He did that in his last start.

Today, he could have melted down in either inning, but didn't. Good sign.
Yeah..that shows that he's matured, and he refuses to revert to his old ways.