PDA

View Full Version : KW: No Free Agents

Viva Magglio
11-13-2001, 01:07 PM
Kenny Williams told the Score that the White Sox will not pursue free agents during the offseason. However, he did say veteran pitching may be acquired via trades. Adios, Caballo.

Paulwny
11-13-2001, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Kenny Williams told the Score that the White Sox will not pursue free agents during the offseason. However, he did say veteran pitching may be acquired via trades. Adios, Caballo.

or Konerko

NUCatsFan
11-13-2001, 01:52 PM
Kenny Williams told the Score that the White Sox will not pursue free agents during the offseason.

Anyone's who's surprised by this, raise your hand.

*crickets chirping*

PaleHoseGeorge
11-13-2001, 02:07 PM

What specifically did he say about Carlos Lee? Trading him would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make (IMO).

Bmr31
11-13-2001, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan

Anyone's who's surprised by this, raise your hand.

*crickets chirping*

lol i was about to say something very similar......

Paulwny
11-13-2001, 02:34 PM
What happened to the $9 mil they no longer have to pay Wells?
No need to reply, we all know JR's priority, "The bottom line".

Bmr31
11-13-2001, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

ummmm we willl probably use that $9 million on scouting expenses for jerry krauss at the local grade school playground.... :)

Iwritecode
11-13-2001, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

ummmm we willl probably use that $9 million on scouting expenses for jerry krauss at the local grade school playground.... :)

Ouch. Ya know, you're probably right BMR.

:reinsy

"I would trade all 6 of my Bulls rings for just one blah blah blah..."

Kilroy
11-13-2001, 03:23 PM

That would imply that they had ever intended to pick up that option year, and we know that was never the case. So it's not like they have 9 mil freed up all of a sudden.

Paulwny
11-13-2001, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

That would imply that they had ever intended to pick up that option year, and we know that was never the case. So it's not like they have 9 mil freed up all of a sudden.

Wells" $9 mil was part of this years pay roll until the injury and ins. picked it up. By not picking up Wells' option the pay roll for next season should be less barring any arbitration cases or, am I lost and not seeing the picture.

Viva Magglio
11-13-2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

What specifically did he say about Carlos Lee? Trading him would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make (IMO).

He didn't say anything about Lee, but Lee has been speculated to be trade bait.

GASHWOUND
11-13-2001, 09:32 PM

What?! their not going after Giambi or Bonds!? This isn't like our Sox to do this. How out of character.

doublem23
11-13-2001, 09:37 PM
He didn't say anything about Lee, but Lee has been speculated to be trade bait.

Yeah, because every other GM in baseball sees Lee's offensive potential except :KW

duke of dorwood
11-14-2001, 09:20 AM
Someone start a poll on what we think will be the WORST move they will make this off-season. I am not liking what I am hearing.

:KW

We still like our core guys

CredeFan
11-14-2001, 09:36 AM
KW= Jerry's little puppet.

New Sox promotion: ONLY the kids can play. Everyone else cost too much money.

unless Jr lets KW act like a serious Gm, it will be another year of first round elimination. Dammit I'm getting sick of Jerry's circle of pets! If you're not a "yes man" you're out. Just ask Danny Evans, Tony LaRussa, Tom Patorick and Carlton fisk about that.

Ever wonder why Ken Harrelsen is still around the organization? I sure do. With the way he goofed this team up in the mid 80's, he shouldn't be allowed near the Park. That's uncle Jerry for ya though. Take care of your friends first. Worry about winning the half ass way.

Jose Deleon for Bobby Bonilla. That trade stil makes me sick. Hawk in the booth makes me sick too.

FarWestChicago
11-14-2001, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CredeFan
Hawk in the booth makes me sick too. Then you are going to love King Xerxes. He does the Hawk better than the Hawk.

kermittheefrog
11-14-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Damn right, we need to let Lee have another one of his great first halves and then trade him. Maybe the Royals will take him, suckers!

Spiff
11-14-2001, 05:23 PM
KW= Jerry's little puppet.

New Sox promotion: ONLY the kids can play. Everyone else cost too much money.

Lmao...I can see it in huge letters.

"We're not ashamed of our miser-able ways!"

oldcomiskey
11-14-2001, 06:00 PM
KW= Jerry's little puppet
Jose Deleon for Bobby Bonilla. That trade stil makes me sick. Hawk in the booth makes me sick too.

And what has Bonilla done--absolute zero and whose better than hawk in the booth besides Eucker

kermittheefrog
11-14-2001, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

And what has Bonilla done--absolute zero and whose better than hawk in the booth besides Eucker

Bonilla had a good career, didn't do anything amazing but was a good player for a while and made 6 All-star teams. DeLeon wasn't bad. With the Sox he put up an ERA of 3.73 that was 20% better than league average. He was traded to the Cards and his second year there he lead the NL in strikeouts. Larry Himes turned DeLeon into Lance Johnson. Johnson spent 5 years as the Sox regular centerfielder, hit .285 over that span, stole 164 bases and played good defense in center. My guess is he deserved at least one gold glove but didn't get it because of his weak arm. He wasn't Bobby Bonilla but he was pretty good.

So the Sox turned Bobby Bonilla into Lance Johnson. Wasn't a great move but they could done worse.

fuzzy_patters
11-15-2001, 02:52 PM
Great call, Kermie. Bonilla had more offense but less defense than Lance. Considering Lance once led the AL in hits one season and the NL the next, I wouldn't say he was too bad an offensive player, either. You might be able to argue that Lance was actually a better player than Bonilla, particularly considering that he was a center fielder rather than a corner outfielder.

kermittheefrog
11-15-2001, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Great call, Kermie. Bonilla had more offense but less defense than Lance. Considering Lance once led the AL in hits one season and the NL the next, I wouldn't say he was too bad an offensive player, either. You might be able to argue that Lance was actually a better player than Bonilla, particularly considering that he was a center fielder rather than a corner outfielder.

I thought about that but Bonilla's power is far superior to Lance's and Bonilla walks about twice as much. Also remember early in his career Bonilla was a third baseman, in fact he had his best years as a third baseman. That's still not as defensively important or demanding as centerfield but it's more than a corner outfield position.

In Bonilla's peak he was one of the best hitters in the NL and has definitely been the best player at his position a couple times during his career. You can't say the same thing about Lance. You could probably make a reasonable arguement that Bonilla was the best player in the NL at his peak, although I wouldn't agree with that. The Mets thought he was worthy of being the highest payed player in baseball. If you tried to do the same for Lance people would laugh in your face.

Paulwny
11-15-2001, 07:51 PM
Lee reminds me of Bonilla, I hope we don't make the same mistake.

oldcomiskey
11-15-2001, 07:52 PM
Bonilla reached his prime in the early 90s---the best--no way--maybe in the top 10---you had a young McGwire and Canseco then too---Sandberg and Mattingly too--lets dont forget that before we annoit a bum like Bobby Bo

Paulwny
11-15-2001, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
Bonilla reached his prime in the early 90s---the best--no way--maybe in the top 10---you had a young McGwire and Canseco then too---Sandberg and Mattingly too--lets dont forget that before we annoit a bum like Bobby Bo

I don't think anyone's anointing him, but I am sorry the sox traded him.

oldcomiskey
11-15-2001, 07:59 PM
Im not because he got us Lance Johnson--one of the finest CFs ever to wear a Sox uni--and we would talking about him the same way we did Navarro and Clayton

kermittheefrog
11-15-2001, 08:10 PM
Lee reminds me of Bonilla, I hope we don't make the same mistake.

Lee and Bonilla have very similar stats as 24 & 25 year olds but there is one big difference, walks. Bonilla walked 85 times when he was 25. Lee walked 38 times last year.

oldcomiskey
11-15-2001, 10:23 PM
oh hell----if Lee is worse than Bobby Bo then he shouldve already been gone-----