PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle LOL!!!!!!!

ChiSoxRowand
06-04-2005, 03:25 PM
On Fox they showed a clip of him and Man Soo Lee sliding across the tarp.

ja1022
06-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Not the first time he's done it during a rain delay. Ya gotta love his enthusiasm for stuff.

So.ILSoxFan
06-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I saw that too, :D: that tarp looks like it makes a helluva slip n' slide!

bafiarocks03
06-04-2005, 04:36 PM
That was hilarous! gotta love mark and man soo lee! Did you guys see Willie Harris dancing in the dugout! THat was funny too! That made my day! lol:D:

Nard
06-04-2005, 04:50 PM
This team is having a lot of fun. I love it.

And it's the "cool" kind of fun, not the "homoerotic" kind a la the Carmines of the last two years.

NUCatsFan
06-04-2005, 05:28 PM
On Fox they showed a clip of him and Man Soo Lee sliding across the tarp.

Man Soo Lee is cool. Funny funny guy.

soltrain21
06-04-2005, 05:58 PM
This team is having a lot of fun. I love it.

And it's the "cool" kind of fun, not the "homoerotic" kind a la the Carmines of the last two years.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050604/capt.bxf10706042230.angels_red_sox_bxf107.jpg

You are telling me.

Sox of White
06-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Another reason why Buehrle rocks the house.

Stroker Ace
06-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I hope they show that in the game hilights.:D:

Bisco Stu
06-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a completely different take.

"Fun at the old ballpark" is for the Urinal and not for teams with their eyes on the prize.

Burly gets injured doing that and it's :angry:

$6 mill investment on a team with WS winning potential.

Save the hijinks for a lost season.

gobears1987
06-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Buehrle did the same thing last year at Jacobs Field. It was hilarious to watch.

Fredsox
06-04-2005, 06:28 PM

"Fun at the old ballpark" is for the Urinal and not for teams with their eyes on the prize.

Ya gotta have a little fun in life. These guys are playing their hearts out for us, they can screw around a little.

Cowhead418
06-04-2005, 06:29 PM

I disagree. I think it shows the great chemistry this team has. It's good to see the team having fun. Calm down dude.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Calm down dude.LOL!! Coming from you that's :rolling:

Sox of White
06-04-2005, 06:31 PM

Come on, you have to have fun. You do not want a team that hates going out to play. What are they there for then? Just for the money? That is what kills professional sports, those people in it only for the money. Plus, all work and no play makes the White Sox a dull team.

Jjav829
06-04-2005, 06:33 PM

:rolleyes: Give him a break. He was having a little fun and entertaining the fans that were getting soaked out there. I have no problem with what he did. I thought it was funny to see him do that. I've never heard of someone getting seriously injured on a slip-and-slide, which is basically what that was.

Cowhead418
06-04-2005, 06:34 PM
LOL!! Coming from you that's :rolling:
I have no idea what to say to that.:dunno:

chisox
06-04-2005, 06:40 PM
i like it. it reminds me of how we use to mess around in little league and high school. they're winning, why shouldn't they be able to mess around during their down time?

but i do know what you mean about injuries. slip 'n slide injuries are serious, not a laughing matter. i remember when i was little and we'd set that slip 'n slide up in the yard, and there'd be a pebble under it, you'd jump, slide, hit the bump, then, ow, you'd hit that pebble. oh man that would leave a mark. i'd try to sit out of gym class, but mrs. dublin never let me.

bluestar
06-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Ozzie sounded kind of shocked when the reporter asked him about it in the post-game interview.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I have no idea what to say to that.:dunno:I was referring to your normal calm demeanor in game threads. :redneck

Cowhead418
06-04-2005, 06:46 PM
I was referring to your normal calm demeanor in game threads. :redneck
I was aware of that. During games that we are losing I'm just hoping that my vented anger on these boards will cause a spark in the White Sox to come back and win.

Brian26
06-04-2005, 07:05 PM
:rolleyes: Give him a break. He was having a little fun and entertaining the fans that were getting soaked out there. I have no problem with what he did. I thought it was funny to see him do that. I've never heard of someone getting seriously injured on a slip-and-slide, which is basically what that was.

Actually, didn't a player get injured about 10 or 15 years ago doing the same thing Buehrle did? It's sort of a legitimate point. I love seeing the guys have fun, but I'd hate to see a freak injury happen.

Jurr
06-04-2005, 07:20 PM

I'll forget I read this post. That is a terrible attitude. You think these guys are the 200 lb. pieces of glass. The media holds this same idiotic stance.

THESE GUYS ARE ATHLETES. THEY CAN DO SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS SLIDING ON A SLIP AND SLIDE WITHOUT A CATASTROPHIC INJURY. THEY AREN'T 90 YEARS OLD.

Nard
06-04-2005, 09:58 PM
You're telling me Paul Konerko was MOVING LAWN FURNITURE FOR HIS WIFE on his off day!??!?!?!?!?!? I heard about this one dude about 30 years ago who got a career ending injury, pulling a muscle while lifting up a couch so his son could find his toy car. You're telling me the White Sox let PK do this kind of stuff?

kevingrt
06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Watching him do it live was hilarious! He ran out and me and my buddy were like what the hell is he doing, then he got like a standing ovation. It was damn hilarious.

Everyone who hated it must just not have fun in life, because it looked like tons of fun!

Corlose 15
06-04-2005, 10:50 PM
He had to coax Man Soo Lee out there to do it with him. Man, did it pour for about a half hour, I was really impressed with the Sodfather's efforts today.

SOXSINCE'70
06-04-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm all for fun,but do me a favor,Mark.Next time,slide feet first,
not head first.Beuhrle gets injured,and there will be problems.:(:

Chisox003
06-04-2005, 11:52 PM

Wait for it....Wait for it....Let 'er loose!
:chunks

Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Cubbiesuck13
06-05-2005, 12:07 AM
We should put him in bubble wrap and place him gently inside his mother's uterus until his start comes around.

Buehrle pulled the same stunt in Cleveland earlier this year.

"They can't really stop me from having fun," he said.

http://http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050604soxbits,1,5116716.story?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines

chidonez
06-05-2005, 12:39 AM
I can't remember the last time I heard of a slip-n-slide injury.

Mr. White Sox
06-05-2005, 01:35 AM
on a different subject, what the hell was ozuna doing to uribe? that was just...odd, but the look uribe gave was classic

TomParrish79
06-05-2005, 01:46 AM
We should put him in bubble wrap and place him gently inside his mother's uterus until his start comes around.

Post of the night...hands down.

I cant ever remember getting hurt on the slip and slide, the only time I had any bad luck with it, was when there was a rock under the slide about halfway to the end, that hurt like hell.

I laughed when I saw Mark sliding through the water on the ESPNews highlights, got me to thinking...Does he do the slip and slide everytime it rains before a game?? Because I know I have seen him do it twice this year.

and yeah I agree with the ones who said that it looks like tons of fun.

StockdaleForVeep
06-05-2005, 04:06 AM
AP-White sox placed Mark Buehrle on the disabled list today with a broken arm and torn tendons in his left arm. Reports state he was sliding on the tarp during a rain delay, only to find out it had not rained yet and was completely dry, he also suffered severe 2nd and 3rd degree burns. David spade and the makers of slip and slide were unavailable for comment

WhiteSoxFan84
06-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Am I the only one considered about him getting injured while pulling that crap off?

I think the team should suspend him.

Fredsox
06-05-2005, 05:03 AM

Thanks for that image.

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 08:21 AM
This isn't the first time something like this has been done on the baseball diamond. But I also feel it wouldn't be so Laugh Out Loud funny if Mark Buehrle had injured himself.

If I'm not mistaken something similar happened during the 1st Night Game at Wrigley Field. The game got washed out after 3 1/2 innings due to a large rain storm, and Greg Maddux and Les Lancaster were sliding across the wet tarp to "entertain" the fans during the rain delay.

Rick Dempsey and Sammy Stewart of the Orioles also did a memorable rain delay theatre re-enacting the famous "Robin Yount-Jim Palmer" show down from the final day of the '82 season when the Brewers won the pennant.

It was funny stuff, and it's been done before. But all it takes is one "slip up" to twist a knee or jam a shoulder sliding. With the millions of dollars at stake, it's NOT worth the risk.....IMO.

MeanFish
06-05-2005, 08:50 AM
This isn't the first time something like this has been done on the baseball diamond. But I also feel it wouldn't be so Laugh Out Loud funny if Mark Buehrle had injured himself.

If I'm not mistaken something similar happened during the 1st Night Game at Wrigley Field. The game got washed out after 3 1/2 innings due to a large rain storm, and Greg Maddux and Les Lancaster were sliding across the wet tarp to "entertain" the fans during the rain delay.

Rick Dempsey and Sammy Stewart of the Orioles also did a memorable rain delay theatre re-enacting the famous "Robin Yount-Jim Palmer" show down from the final day of the '82 season when the Brewers won the pennant.

It was funny stuff, and it's been done before. But all it takes is one "slip up" to twist a knee or jam a shoulder sliding. With the millions of dollars at stake, it's NOT worth the risk.....IMO.

You're asking for a bit of a double-standard. So what you're saying is...you want Mark to be a gutsy, carefree individual on the mound, while being gutless and careful away from it? With the good comes the bad, and Mark Buehrle is simply going to use a tarp as a slip and slide for comedic purposes if he sees fit. It may be a slightly risky scenario, but if he didn't have that carefree personality of his, we wouldn't care if he did this because he never would have made it past the minors in the first place.

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 09:10 AM
You're asking for a bit of a double-standard. So what you're saying is...you want Mark to be a gutsy, carefree individual on the mound, while being gutless and careful away from it? With the good comes the bad, and Mark Buehrle is simply going to use a tarp as a slip and slide for comedic purposes if he sees fit. It may be a slightly risky scenario, but if he didn't have that carefree personality of his, we wouldn't care if he did this because he never would have made it past the minors in the first place.

No meanfish, no double standard here.

I'm only saying it's NOT worth risking having Buehrle out with an injury for a significant amount of time doing something foolish or clowning around.

Remember how upset people were in March when it was reported Buehrle injured his foot SHAGGING FLY BALLS??

How many people came on these very boards asking the question.....WHY IS OUR ACE EVEN PRACTICING SHAGGING FLIES???

The sliding across the tarp thing has been done already, there's no need to do it any longer. Especially by the best pitcher on the team.......

Shorty1983
06-05-2005, 10:58 AM

Buehrle at the age of 6. Let him have his fun.:D:

http://www.wowmuseum.com/images/Exhibits/Kid%20in%20a%20bubble.jpg

Jjav829
06-05-2005, 11:01 AM

Water and rubber is such a harmful combination.

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 11:45 AM

It has happened chidonez. Case in point.

INSURANCE-COMPARATIVE FAULT IN BAD FAITH ACTION BY INSURED
In 1987 thirty five year-old Michael Hubert jumped headfirst onto his Wisconsin neighbor's backyard water slide toy known as a Slip 'N Slide and broke his neck, rendering him a partial quadriplegic.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml93/93076.html

PRODUCT: Approximately 9 million WHAM-O backyard water slides, manufactured by Kransco and WHAM-O. The water slides were sold nationwide from 1961 through February 1992 under the following names: Slip 'N Slide, Super Slip 'N Slide, Slip 'N Splash, White Water Rapids, Fast Track Racers, and Wet Banana.

PROBLEM: The WHAM-O slides are designed for use by children only. Use by adults and teens has the potential to result in neck injury and paralysis. Because of their weight and height, adults and teenagers who dive onto the water slide may hit and abruptly stop in such a way that could cause permanent spinal cord injury, resulting in quadriplegia or paraplegia. The slider's forward momentum drives the body into the neck and compresses the spinal cord. Kransco reports that seven adults and a 13-year-old teenager suffered neck injuries or paralysis while using WHAM-O slides.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Ozzie: He did what? I don't think its a real funny thing when he's my ace

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Slip sliding

Staff ace Mark Buehrle tooksome headfirst belly flops on the soaked tarp during the pregame rain delay, much to the surprise of Guillen.

"Oh, my God, he did?" asked Guillen when he was told. "I don't think it's a real funny thing when he's my ace."

"I think if I hurt myself," Buehrle said, "a lot of stuff would go down."

Jurr
06-05-2005, 12:44 PM
It has happened chidonez. Case in point.

INSURANCE-COMPARATIVE FAULT IN BAD FAITH ACTION BY INSURED
In 1987 thirty five year-old Michael Hubert jumped headfirst onto his Wisconsin neighbor's backyard water slide toy known as a Slip 'N Slide and broke his neck, rendering him a partial quadriplegic.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml93/93076.html

PRODUCT: Approximately 9 million WHAM-O backyard water slides, manufactured by Kransco and WHAM-O. The water slides were sold nationwide from 1961 through February 1992 under the following names: Slip 'N Slide, Super Slip 'N Slide, Slip 'N Splash, White Water Rapids, Fast Track Racers, and Wet Banana.

PROBLEM: The WHAM-O slides are designed for use by children only. Use by adults and teens has the potential to result in neck injury and paralysis. Because of their weight and height, adults and teenagers who dive onto the water slide may hit and abruptly stop in such a way that could cause permanent spinal cord injury, resulting in quadriplegia or paraplegia. The slider's forward momentum drives the body into the neck and compresses the spinal cord. Kransco reports that seven adults and a 13-year-old teenager suffered neck injuries or paralysis while using WHAM-O slides.

As Hawk would say............
:hawk "STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!"

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 12:58 PM
As Hawk would say............
:hawk "STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!"

Not really Jurr....the question was whether he had heard of a "slip & slide injury". And the answer is unequivocally Yes. There have been some, and I just wanted to show some proof for documentation.

I'm not saying Buehrle was in that type of danger, but given how many "freak" injuries have happened in sports, guys end up on the DL sleeping on their eye the wrong way.....pitchers injuring their wrists flicking sunflower seeds, and falling off stationary bicycles.....

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Buehrle could've jammed his shoulder or gotten injured doing something as foolish as he did yesterday.

Baseball is a team game (that's what I was taught) and you don't put your own needs ahead of what's best for the team.

Where would the Sox be without Mark Buehrle?? Up a creek without a paddle, that's where.

Jurr
06-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Not really Jurr....the question was whether he had heard of a "slip & slide injury". And the answer is unequivocally Yes. There have been some, and I just wanted to show some proof for documentation.

I'm not saying Buehrle was in that type of danger, but given how many "freak" injuries have happened in sports, guys end up on the DL sleeping on their eye the wrong way.....pitchers injuring their wrists flicking sunflower seeds, and falling off stationary bicycles.....

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Buehrle could've jammed his shoulder or gotten injured doing something as foolish as he did yesterday.

Baseball is a team game (that's what I was taught) and you don't put your own needs ahead of what's best for the team.

Where would the Sox be without Mark Buehrle?? Up a creek without a paddle, that's where.
If that was the case, then professional athletes (who, by the way, usually have bodies that can handle a great deal of stress), wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING on their time off.

No swimming, no diving, no roller coasters (that whiplash will end your career!), no bumper cars, NOTHING!

I can understand contract stipulations that tell a guy he can't play pickup basketball or motorcycle riding, because those are high risk ventures.

But, you can't tell a guy he can't have fun because some freak injury might happen.

nedlug
06-05-2005, 01:18 PM
But, you can't tell a guy he can't have fun because some freak injury might happen.

Agreed. Freak injuries are named that because you can't predict when they'll happen or how often they'll happen. That's why they're freak injuries. Should a player not be allowed to run to the living room TV to watch someone bat, walk up or down stairs, or sneeze? Buehrle obviously understands what would happen if he did get hurt, and he believes that he is safe enought to perform this stunt. He (as well as I) believe that the increase in clubhouse chemistry far outweighs any risk of injury.

TornLabrum
06-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Wasn't Mike Harkey of the Cubs the pitcher who was injured using the tarp as a slip 'n' slide before the Cubs first scheduled night game at Wrigley Field?

boiler up
06-05-2005, 01:26 PM
damn, i wish i could have seen that

BarbG
06-05-2005, 01:28 PM
If that was the case, then professional athletes (who, by the way, usually have bodies that can handle a great deal of stress), wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING on their time off.

Thank you! And while I agree with you whole-heartedly, technically this wasn't "time off" - at the field he was "at work." It is up to his bosses to tell him what he can and can't do.

As for chance of injury, there is no comparison between a cheesy Wham-o toy and a full sized major league baseball tarp.

I can understand contract stipulations that tell a guy he can't play pickup basketball or motorcycle riding, because those are high risk ventures.

Hey, you didn't mention the most high-risk of all for pitchers,internet surfing!

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Wasn't Mike Harkey of the Cubs the pitcher who was injured using the tarp as a slip 'n' slide before the Cubs first scheduled night game at Wrigley Field?

Les Lancaster was the Cubs pitcher who got hurt doing the "slip & slide" routine during the 1st Cubs night game.

Harkey got injured turning cartwheels in the OF during BP at Wrigley before the start of a game.

Falstaff
06-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Ya, who remebbers back in about 75 when Melton had just rehabbed from back surgery and was putzing around the house, saw a piece of paper sticking out from garage gutter. Ya, you guessed, he jumped up (!) and in the process of getting the paper, his wedding ring got caught on the edge of gutter = 3 months DL. I think it was Melton, maybe Bart Johnson. Cy Acosta got a cataract from having long hair repeatedly itching in his eye = goodbye control. Think about this Mark! Dont be stupid!

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 02:05 PM

No swimming, no diving, no roller coasters (that whiplash will end your career!), no bumper cars, NOTHING!

Those are all good points Jurr, but...... there has already been a precedent of a player getting hurt doing the sliding across the tarp routine. Les Lancaster of the Cubs had it happen to him during the rain delay during the 1st Cubs Night Game.

I say that is NOT a risk I'd be willing to take....especially with my best pitcher. Also this was not the first time Mark Buehrle has done this.

In the end however the only people whose opinion REALLY count in this matter is Ozzie Guillen's and Jerry Reinsdorf's. JR signs the checks, I wonder what he thinks of Buehrle's antics??

Cubbiesuck13
06-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Ya, who remebbers back in about 75 when Melton had just rehabbed from back surgery and was putzing around the house, saw a piece of paper sticking out from garage gutter. Ya, you guessed, he jumped up (!) and in the process of getting the paper, his wedding ring got caught on the edge of gutter = 3 months DL. I think it was Melton, maybe Bart Johnson. Cy Acosta got a cataract from having long hair repeatedly itching in his eye = goodbye control. Think about this Mark! Dont be stupid!

The title of your post tells it all. It's a freak injury and you cannot prevent them.

Brian26
06-05-2005, 02:48 PM

I cannot for the life of me remember who it was, and I can't seem to find it on google anywhere, but I absolutely know a pitcher got hurt doing this about 10 or 15 years ago.

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I cannot for the life of me remember who it was, and I can't seem to find it on google anywhere, but I absolutely know a pitcher got hurt doing this about 10 or 15 years ago.

Look about 4 posts above and you'll find your answer.

ramorgan1
06-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Wasn't Vince Coleman injured on the tarp back in the day?

Cubbiesuck13
06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Wasn't Vince Coleman injured on the tarp back in the day?

I don't think he was playing on it, though. I thought he just got caught underneath somehow.

kevingrt
06-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Buerhle must know this well though, because what if he went right into the pitcher mound? You would think that would hurt?

And does Roger have no problem with him doing this, obviously doesn't screw up the field or Roger would run out there and shoot Mansoo and Burly