PDA

View Full Version : This year compared to last year

nedlug
06-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Looking at the press notes, especially the comparison to last year through 54 games, yields some interesting stats.

1. The Sox have 4.5 runs/game compared to 5.4, so their offense isn't really that much changed since last year. Also, I'd add that our offense this year is vastly more consistent, usually getting at least 2-3 runs/game against any opposing pitcher.

2. Only 12 less HRs, but 24 more SBs.

3. Almost twice as many save opportunities, 30-17 (also 8 blown saves, not good enough IMO)

4. A half-run decrease in ERA (3.52 from 4.02) Obviously, pitching is a huge reason why the Sox are where they are.

5. 12 less HRs allowed, with over 120 more Ks. That is very huge - a K is the best possible outcome, because the pitcher (and catcher, somewhat) solely control the out.

What do you guys think about this year compared to last year? Specifically, what is the reason - attitude, managing, players, defense, etc.?

Dibbs
06-04-2005, 03:03 PM
The biggest difference?

Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
El Duque
Contreras

VS.

Buehrle
Loaiza
Garland
Wright
Schoenewies

Huisj
06-04-2005, 04:10 PM
4.5 runs vs. 5.4 runs per game is actually a pretty large difference. if a half a run of ERA is a huge reason why the sox are doing better, doesn't a whole run of offense seem to be quite a large change too? (I agree, the record can partly be attributed to a more consistent offense, but nonetheless, we score on average a whole run less than last year at this time).

MisterB
06-04-2005, 04:32 PM
4.5 runs vs. 5.4 runs per game is actually a pretty large difference. if a half a run of ERA is a huge reason why the sox are doing better, doesn't a whole run of offense seem to be quite a large change too? (I agree, the record can partly be attributed to a more consistent offense, but nonetheless, we score on average a whole run less than last year at this time).

The difference between the best and worst offenses in the league are usually around 1.5-2 runs/g, so 1 run less is significant. But talking about offensive consistency: so far this year the Sox have been held to 1 or 0 runs 3 times; through the same number of games last year it happened 8 times.

LongLiveFisk
06-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Looking at the press notes, especially the comparison to last year through 54 games, yields some interesting stats.

1. The Sox have 4.5 runs/game compared to 5.4, so their offense isn't really that much changed since last year. Also, I'd add that our offense this year is vastly more consistent, usually getting at least 2-3 runs/game against any opposing pitcher.

2. Only 12 less HRs, but 24 more SBs.

3. Almost twice as many save opportunities, 30-17 (also 8 blown saves, not good enough IMO)

4. A half-run decrease in ERA (3.52 from 4.02) Obviously, pitching is a huge reason why the Sox are where they are.

5. 12 less HRs allowed, with over 120 more Ks. That is very huge - a K is the best possible outcome, because the pitcher (and catcher, somewhat) solely control the out.

What do you guys think about this year compared to last year? Specifically, what is the reason - attitude, managing, players, defense, etc.?

And you didn't even mention the dreaded "A" word....Attendance! Good job! :D:

Paulwny
06-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Run stats can be misleading. Last year it appeared that the sox would put up a high number of runs for 2-3 games and then play corpse ball for 6-7 games.

nedlug
06-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Run stats can be misleading. Last year it appeared that the sox would put up a high number of runs for 2-3 games and then play corpse ball for 6-7 games.

Still, the offense still is only producing, on average, about one less a game. I'd say that's a good tradeaway for all the positives they got.

Also, I think the rotation is vastly improved. Good point.