PDA

View Full Version : "Cell not the hard sell it used to be"

Buehrle > Wood
06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
First-time poster, long-time lurker...

Today in my local paper, The Northwest Indiana Times, I found the above headline on the front page of the sports section by the associate sports editor, Mike Clark. Unfortunately, there is no link to the article on the nwitimes.com site, so I will give you all a brief summary.

- the Sox/Cubs series at the Cell is almost here

- Cubs fans will cry about lack of places to hang out etc. around The Cell
"Sox park, they say, is surrounded by parking lots - as if thats a bad thing"

- He complains about paying $40 to park in someone's back yard in Wrigleyville for a Cubs game...gives sox props again making parking affordable and close

- Says there are good places to go before/after if you look...mentions Jimbo's and Ricobene's

- Why would you want to eat before the game, when the best food is inside!
then gives a mouth-watering description of the brats

- Says the only thing wrigley really has going is view it gives you..."And the sailboats out in the distance often make better viewing than anything of the field with the acception of Derek Lee's at bats" :tongue:

- The Cell has seen some major improvements in the past few years...and the green seats will make things even better

- In conclusion...the cell has "emerged as the best place to watch a game in Chicago"

Mike Clark, way to stick it to Wrigley Field fans!!! (because we know most of them aren't really "Cubs fans")

tebman
06-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Nice article. What he writes is all true. The Shrine is one of several attractions in the middle of yuppie Disneyland. Now that the Sox are winning and showing how baseball is really supposed to work, it's just a matter of time before the casual fans we fret about so much begin to see that the emperor has no clothes.

(p.s.: I didn't recognize what paper that was at first -- I grew up in Hammond and that paper will always be the Hammond Times to me.)

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Nice article. What he writes is all true. The Shrine is one of several attractions in the middle of yuppie Disneyland. Now that the Sox are winning and showing how baseball is really supposed to work, it's just a matter of time before the casual fans we fret about so much begin to see that the emperor has no clothes.

(p.s.: I didn't recognize what paper that was at first -- I grew up in Hammond and that paper will always be the Hammond Times to me.)

I think when I was there between 1973-76, it was called just The Times, but everybody I knew from the area called it the Hammond Times, too.

DrCrawdad
06-04-2005, 11:09 AM
For those of us removed from NW Indiana or SE Illinois, is there a link to the article?

delben91
06-04-2005, 11:12 AM
For those of us removed from NW Indiana or SE Illinois, is there a link to the article?

Unfortunately, there is no link to the article on the nwitimes.com site, so I will give you all a brief summary.

And to think, I didn't even have to type anything...:tongue:

White Sox Josh
06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
:welcome: :gulp::gulp::cheers:
My 500th post.

mjharrison72
06-04-2005, 11:49 AM
:welcome: and nice post.
It's only a matter of time before many more people begin realizing the South Side offers a baseball experience better in so many ways from that North Side park.

MrRoboto83
06-04-2005, 11:52 AM
here is the link to the article.

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/06/04/sports/sports_columnists/99ff3a896621054686257016001221c0.txt

Buehrle > Wood
06-04-2005, 12:07 PM

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/06/04/sports/sports_columnists/99ff3a896621054686257016001221c0.txt

Tomo arigato MrRoboto!

tebman
06-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I think when I was there between 1973-76, it was called just The Times, but everybody I knew from the area called it the Hammond Times, too.
Yeah, the paper officially changed its name from "The Hammond Times" to "The Times" in 1968, but the friends I have who still live in The Region and I refer to it as the HammondTimes, pronouncing it like one word. Old habits and associations are hard to break, I guess.

downstairs
06-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Its Cyclical, always will be. Chicago neighborhoods always change.

Now, I don't ever expect the south side to be yuppieville, at least not at far as 35th. But, indeed, Wrigleyville will again be a terrible and dangerous neighborhood someday. Then what?

Then people will quit ignoring how archaic of an idea it is to have a ballpark smack dab in the middle of one of the largest and most crowded cities in the world.

Norberto7
06-04-2005, 11:55 PM
First-time poster, long-time lurker...

:welcome:, and thank you, for this first sentence has given me the chance to use by far the coolest WSI smiley....

:lurkers

zach074
06-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Great article, so true.

skobabe8
06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah, the paper officially changed its name from "The Hammond Times" to "The Times" in 1968, but the friends I have who still live in The Region and I refer to it as the HammondTimes, pronouncing it like one word. Old habits and associations are hard to break, I guess.

Wow! I assumed that happened in maybe the late 80s/early 90s. Everyone I know calls it the Hammond Times.

Hitmen77
06-07-2005, 09:19 AM

Sounds like the Hammond Times is ripe for a hostile takeover by the Tribune Company. That would allow them to stop all this truth about Wrigley from being printed - it could be bad for business. Once under the Trib's corporate umbrella, this paper would become another outlet for Cub propaganda.

RavenswoodFan
06-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I sent a thank you note to this guy. Here it is:

Thank you for writing your article about the Cell.
I recently went to Wrigley when the Sox played there, and boy what a difference the two stadiums offer!
The only charm I saw was the view of the field itself with the old score board. Beyond that there is nothing charming about the site lines. I spent half the game trying to look around a support beam and the other half trying to see over the throngs of people who walked back and forth to the beer stands and urinal pits!
I've never had a bad seat at US Cellular.

Heres to the best place to watch a baseball game in Chicago!

Scott Covington
Chicago

skobabe8
06-07-2005, 10:05 AM
I sent a thank you note to this guy. Here it is:

Thank you for writing your article about the Cell.
I recently went to Wrigley when the Sox played there, and boy what a difference the two stadiums offer!
The only charm I saw was the view of the field itself with the old score board. Beyond that there is nothing charming about the site lines. I spent half the game trying to look around a support beam and the other half trying to see over the throngs of people who walked back and forth to the beer stands and urinal pits!
I've never had a bad seat at US Cellular.

Heres to the best place to watch a baseball game in Chicago!

Scott Covington
Chicago

Wait, did you sit where I was sitting? OH YEA I FORGOT! Most of the seats there are behind poles.

BaseballTonyght
06-07-2005, 10:48 AM
The Cell has seen some major improvements in the past few years...and the green seats will make things even better

:welcome:

I can't wait to see The Cell with all green seats, it's going to look great. Is there an ETA update?

nug0hs
06-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Went to 2 games last week...the club level is now completely switched to green. The bleachers have been for quite some time now along with a few seats in lower reserved in the sections nearest to the scout seats.

hellenicsoxfan
06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
- In conclusion...the cell has "emerged as the best place to watch a game in Chicago"

I have been to several games at the Cell in the last few years with non-Sox fans (some Cub fans, some fans of other teams, some just casual fans) and without exception, the reaction after the game has been "What a great time we had!" They've all said that the Cell is a lot better than they've heard, there are a lot of things to do, the food is great and it's just plain fun. The ones who brought kids were especially surprised at how much fun the kids had. Hopefully, those kids have seen the light as to which side to root for. Anyway, as the Sox keep winning and more people start coming to the Cell, I think that people's perception of the Cell is going to change.

chisoxfanatic
06-07-2005, 07:26 PM
My boyfriend is from the Toronto area and was in town this past weekend, and I took him to two games this weekend. The baseball purist that he is totally loved the ballpark. He said it was a breath of fresh air from what he's used to at Skydome. He loved how open the ballpark was and how classy the outfield concourse was.

People are noticing the great ballpark that resides in Bridgeport, and more will once the media quits trying to play this neighborhood as a crime-ridden "rathole," when our crime numbers are less than half those of the minor league ballpark 8 miles north.

itsnotrequired
06-07-2005, 07:46 PM
People are noticing the great ballpark that resides in Bridgeport, and more will once the media quits trying to play this neighborhood as a crime-ridden "rathole," when our crime numbers are less than half those of the minor league ballpark 8 miles north.

Ah, the crime totals. I never tire of looking at them. From May 18th thru May 31, there were a total of 8 reported crimes within a 1/2 mile radius of 35th and Shields. That's right, only 8.

The same time frame and radius around Clark and Addison? 48 crimes. Six times as many as the Cell. Oh, and it wasn't like it was all piddly stuff like trespassing or vandalism. 25 of them were person crimes including 17 batteries and 5 assaults. Good times.

EDIT: To be fair, the Sox only played 3 home games in that stretch while the Cubs played 10. But 3 of those were when the Sox played at Wrigley. As you can see, all the trouble was from those unruly Sox fans.

DaveIsHere
06-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Have you nticed some of the shots lately from the 1st base side that show the brick from the Fundamentals area at the top of the screen?? These shots look great on TV, I cant wait for th Sox to come home for their longest stand of the season..........time to go buy more tickets *ching*(dave breaks the bank) *slap* (dave gets hit by wife):D:

skobabe8
06-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Went to 2 games last week...the club level is now completely switched to green. The bleachers have been for quite some time now along with a few seats in lower reserved in the sections nearest to the scout seats.

So in other words, its the same as it was on opening day.

DC Sox Fan
06-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Should I try harder to cell, sorry sell the cell? Your thoughts...
:reinsy

May that thread live on forever in our hearts.

faneidde
06-08-2005, 07:15 AM

Oh man, you beat me to it. When I saw the title of this thread I immediatley thought of that one. Still brings a tear to my eye every time I think about it.

PatK
06-08-2005, 09:56 AM
I have been to several games at the Cell in the last few years with non-Sox fans (some Cub fans, some fans of other teams, some just casual fans) and without exception, the reaction after the game has been "What a great time we had!" They've all said that the Cell is a lot better than they've heard, there are a lot of things to do, the food is great and it's just plain fun. The ones who brought kids were especially surprised at how much fun the kids had. Hopefully, those kids have seen the light as to which side to root for. Anyway, as the Sox keep winning and more people start coming to the Cell, I think that people's perception of the Cell is going to change.

That's what I always hear as well. People are AMAZED that it's a beautiful park, that the food is outstanding, and that there's things for kids to do if they get bored.

As a side note, I know the kid that last season was responsible for picking the "Player" and "Pitcher of the Day" for the Times, and he's a hardcore, delusional Cubs fan that told me he'd never pick a Sox player because he hates the Sox. I told him that he's being an irresponsible journalist and that he's should just go work for the Cubune. I was thinking of calling the editors and telling them about it, but thought that would be a bit childish.

mweflen
06-08-2005, 10:24 AM

Damn, you beat me to the punch, too.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2005, 10:46 AM

I think whomever wrote the headline above the referenced article must be a WSI member or lurker.....

:D:

Palehose13
06-08-2005, 11:29 AM

I have had the same experience as well. Over the past few years I have brought people with me to Sox games from Milwaukee (some brewer fans, some cub fans) and they always have a great time. This year I bought 2 tickets in the Ozzie plan and knew that I wouldn't have a hard time getting someone to go with me. My extra tickets are all spoken for and I even had to buy more games!