PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise

White Sox Josh
06-04-2005, 11:13 AM
I was wondering which player has surprised you most this year. For me it has been Politte. He was always an afterthought for me at the start of the year yet he has been the Sox most dominant reliever IMHO.

voodoochile
06-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Iguchi.

I expected him to be solid, but struggle as he adapted to the higher quality of pitching he would face. I also didn't know how good he would be with his glove. Thursday's game I thought there were two plays he would have made that Harris failed to make and Harris has pretty good range.

The Racehorse
06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Tadahito... he's been so solid at the plate and with the glove he'll be a fixture at 2B for the foreseeable future.

bluestar
06-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah, Iguchi for me, because so many of the "experts" had said they didn't think he could make it in the U.S. and doubted his abilities. I didn't know what to expect from him, and I certainly didn't anticipate him being as good as he is.

1951Campbell
06-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Hermanson.

No runs given up for how long? Yikes.

rwschm_bull
06-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Iguchi by far...

Good defense, steady, makes the plays.

An important offensive cog at the top of the order with good (not great) bat control, a nice short swing, a nd showing some power....

AND he's still seeing 90% of the league's pitchers for the first time <!!!> Can't wait to see the average and power climb as he begins to know the pitchers he's facing. He's a ROOKIE in this league (despite his age and experience). What a great pick-up...
:supernana:

MRKARNO
06-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Politte. I had no clue that he would be so effective this year. It sorta came out of nowhere. His being good has really helped the Sox this year.

Hermanson, I figured he'd be really good. People looked at his reliever ERA in the mid 4's and dismissed him, but if you looked at his game log, he had 2 games which severely skewed that ERA. They did come at important times, but in terms of evaluating his performance potential for us, it appeared that he would be able to post an ERA in the 2's or lower.

Iguchi I was also pretty high on coming into this season. I expected a Ray Durham-lite and I think we got just that. The power will come and he will probably end up being close to Ray Durham (the one of old of course) by the end of the year

mdep524
06-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Garland should be included in this poll, and should be winning. Contreras would be my number two.

TheOldRoman
06-04-2005, 12:54 PM
I defended Scotty the whole offseason. I met several "chicken little" type sox fans who called Scott a .244 hitter and said that he sucked. I also had extremely high expectations for Iguchi, and I fully expected him to develop into an all-star. I always liked Politte last year, though I am extremely surprised and pleased with his performance this year. Widger has been incredible so far. I was shocked when he got the job out of camp, but he is playing better than he had ever before.

My biggest surprise is Hermanson. I was happy when we signed him, but I didnt foresee him being as great as he has been. He doesnt throw 100 like Gagne, but he did start out as a starter, like Gagne. The more I think about it, the more likely it is that Hermanson can develop into a top flight closer.

PicktoCLick72
06-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Definitely the Guch. Nobody could have expected the production he has been giving us so far this season.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Gotta go with Tadahito. I was hoping he would be good. He turned out to be real damn good. :thumbsup:

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Garland should be included in this poll, and should be winning. Contreras would be my number two.Yup. Garland hands down.

FarWestChicago
06-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Garland should be included in this poll, and should be winning.Oh yeah, good point. :redneck

BigEdWalsh
06-04-2005, 07:11 PM
I went with Widger. The reason being, that I had expectations for all of the other players in the poll. It came as big surprise that Widger even came north with the team. He has hit well and been just fine behind the plate. Couldn't ask for more from a backup catcher.

flo-B-flo
06-04-2005, 07:23 PM
9-2 Are you kidding me? his came out of DEEP left field.

Sox of White
06-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Iguchi. I had no idea what to expect from him, and my first impression of him was not a good one really. But, he really shut me up quick, and is easily a Rookie of the Year candidate.