PDA

View Full Version : Tight Division? Look at the NL East

elrod
06-03-2005, 10:59 PM
After tonight's action the Braves and Marlins are tied for first with the Nats .5 games out, the Mets 1 game out, and the Phillies 2 out. I'm not sure what's most suprising. Probably the Nats, given that everybody assumed they'd lose 95 games again. The Braves have early-to-mid season struggles before, and then they turn it on. The Marlins are playing surprisingly poorly. The Mets, at 2 games over .500, are playing about where I expected. The Phillies are the biggest surprise, considering they were in the toilet and are now at .500. Either way, that will be an exciting division to watch the rest of the way. It's the only division where all five teams have a real chance of winning it.

gosox41
06-03-2005, 11:49 PM
After tonight's action the Braves and Marlins are tied for first with the Nats .5 games out, the Mets 1 game out, and the Phillies 2 out. I'm not sure what's most suprising. Probably the Nats, given that everybody assumed they'd lose 95 games again. The Braves have early-to-mid season struggles before, and then they turn it on. The Marlins are playing surprisingly poorly. The Mets, at 2 games over .500, are playing about where I expected. The Phillies are the biggest surprise, considering they were in the toilet and are now at .500. Either way, that will be an exciting division to watch the rest of the way. It's the only division where all five teams have a real chance of winning it.

What's really a shame is that over the course of the season these 5 teams are going to beat on each other while the Cubs could backdoor themselves into a playoff spot.

Bob

elrod
06-04-2005, 12:02 AM
What's really a shame is that over the course of the season these 5 teams are going to beat on each other while the Cubs could backdoor themselves into a playoff spot.

Bob

Actually, the Cubs' biggest advantage is the slew of games they play against the garbage of the NL Central.

TheOldRoman
06-04-2005, 02:49 AM
Actually, the Cubs' biggest advantage is the slew of games they play against the garbage of the NL Central.
No! The NL Central is the best division in baseball. The Cubs were one of the greatest teams ever last year and they finished 3rd. The AL Central is horrible, thats why the Sox have won so many games.

TDog
06-04-2005, 03:52 AM
The NL Central is weak, but the losers on the in the division won't propel the Cubs into the Wild Card (no one is catching the Cards, of course). Two second-place teams, will from the East and West, will be among the teams finishing with better records than the Cubs.

gosox41
06-04-2005, 09:40 AM
The NL Central is weak, but the losers on the in the division won't propel the Cubs into the Wild Card (no one is catching the Cards, of course). Two second-place teams, will from the East and West, will be among the teams finishing with better records than the Cubs.

I hope so.

Bob

samram
06-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Another problem is when teams are bunched like that, they tend to feel pressure to add, not subtract, from the team in terms of trades. I think the Phillies will be a team looking to move players if they're out of it, but there's no way they could get away with trading a guy like Wagner if they're within four or five games.

Banix12
06-04-2005, 02:36 PM
That division is pretty much shaping up how I thought it would be. i thought all 5 of the teams in the NL East were probably better than the rest of the national league, with the exception of the Cardinals. I figured the Nationals would get a boost from not playing in Montreal and being in a stadium with fans in it, Jose Guillen helps too. Philly has dissapointed the last few years and i didn't see any reason why they wouldn't continue. Philly is the NL equivalent of what the White Sox were the last couple years before this one.

samram
06-04-2005, 02:41 PM
That division is pretty much shaping up how I thought it would be. i thought all 5 of the teams in the NL East were probably better than the rest of the national league, with the exception of the Cardinals. I figured the Nationals would get a boost from not playing in Montreal and being in a stadium with fans in it, Jose Guillen helps too. Philly has dissapointed the last few years and i didn't see any reason why they wouldn't continue. Philly is the NL equivalent of what the White Sox were the last couple years before this one.

Agree with pretty much everything you wrote, except I would put the Padres above all five of those teams too.

Fenway
06-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Since MLB still owns the ExpoNats it will become interesting to see if they will be a player at the trading deadline.

buehrle4cy05
06-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Since MLB still owns the ExpoNats it will become interesting to see if they will be a player at the trading deadline.

Maybe they'll trade for Youppi!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/shingotime10/Youppi.jpg

mekon
06-04-2005, 05:27 PM
cards are the only good teem this yere

samram
06-05-2005, 02:20 PM
cards are the only good teem this yere

Boy, we're just not getting this whole spell check thing, are we?

itsnotrequired
06-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Boy, we're just not getting this whole spell check thing, are we?

:ozzie
"Spiel chick? Watt ur joo takin' aboot?"

elrod
06-05-2005, 09:30 PM
And a Washington team is in first place in June for the first time since 1933. Folks, that's just a beautiful thing, right there. We've suffered a lot on the South Side. But Washington baseball fans have lost two franchises, and before the teams left, they stunk for decades. 1933!!!:o:

Also, it's the first time since 1994 that all five teams in a division were over .500 in June. The NL East is an absolute thriller. I keep waiting for Atlanta to do what they always do and roll off 18 wins in 20 games but they keep struggling. If Atlanta keeps scuffling the NL East is anybody's to win.

SOXSINCE'70
06-06-2005, 01:21 PM
"Spiel chick? Watt ur joo takin' aboot?"

"Spiel Chick is a good keed.He play hard.Sorry I shaved the goatee,
but it's my (bleeping) goatee.Don't (bleeping) second guess me".:D: