PDA

View Full Version : Kids announcing players for an inning

A.T. Money
06-03-2005, 08:24 PM
The Sox need to stop that ASAP. The first place I saw it was in Minnie, and I thought it was such a joke. Then I saw it in Milwaukee. Yuck.

I know that the Sox are into families now and kids and all that. Great. But when you start making the game a little less traditional and less pure, it's no good.

Unregistered
06-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Is it one of those "rich people get to do stuff" things? You know, like the people who bid or whatever on getting married at the park, throwing out the first pitch, etc...

A.T. Money
06-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Is it one of those "rich people get to do stuff" things? You know, like the people who bid or whatever on getting married at the park, throwing out the first pitch, etc...

No idea.

Joosh
06-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Thats exactly what it is.

I havent heard it myself, so I don't have an opinion. Yet.

LongLiveFisk
06-03-2005, 09:13 PM
As much as I like kids and I know it's a big thrill for them I have to agree. Hopefully it's done only on very rare occasions.

Nard
06-03-2005, 09:18 PM
I hope this never, ever happens again.

Brian26
06-03-2005, 09:30 PM
I hope this never, ever happens again.

The funny thing is, the kid is still doing a better job than when Tom Schaer filled in.

A.T. Money
06-03-2005, 09:42 PM
The funny thing is, the kid is still doing a better job than when Tom Schaer filled in.

Tom's voice and the kid's is almost the same...lol.

itsnotrequired
06-03-2005, 10:47 PM
But when you start making the game a little less traditional and less pure, it's no good.

So its time to do away with the DH, eh?:wink:

I don't mind it. It's only for an inning and it isn't every game. Let the babies have their bottle...

chisoxmike
06-03-2005, 11:51 PM
I hate it. 1) It's annoying for some reason 2) Its rich parents spending hundred of dollars for their kids to annouce players.

The Racehorse
06-03-2005, 11:54 PM
... another revenue stream. I guess.

santo=dorf
06-03-2005, 11:58 PM
The Sox need to stop that ASAP. The first place I saw it was in Minnie, and I thought it was such a joke.
Well those kids were the grandkids of the legendary PA announcer who passed away. I think that is worthy of an exception.

SpammySosa
06-03-2005, 11:59 PM
I hate it. 1) It's annoying for some reason 2) Its rich parents spending hundred of dollars for their kids to annouce players.

I think I understand where you are coming from,but if I had kids and money and they wanted to do this,I wouldn't have a problem with it. For the record,though I would rather just have money and no kids and get to do cool things like this myself.:wink:

Sox of White
06-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Well those kids were the grandkids of the legendary PA announcer who passed away. I think that is worthy of an exception.

Just curious, who was that person. I know someone who's Great Uncle announced for the White Sox.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2005, 12:10 AM
What is your beef? It's an opportunity of a lifetime for the kid...something he will always remember. Some people need to get some perspective. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun.

RedPinStripes
06-04-2005, 12:12 AM
At least it's a break from hearing Gene Honda love every minute of his voice.

paciorek1983
06-04-2005, 12:13 AM

If you don't like it, just becaue you don't like it, cool. I don't like it either. But don't have class envy, that's annoying too.

pinwheels3530
06-04-2005, 12:33 AM
What is your beef? It's an opportunity of a lifetime for the kid...something he will always remember. Some people need to get some perspective. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun.

Because the WhiteSox being if first place with the best record
in baseball is not good enough. We have to complain about everything!!!

pinwheels3530
06-04-2005, 12:38 AM
:threadsucks

SluggersAway
06-04-2005, 12:42 AM
It started with MC Hammer in Oakland in the seventies with Charlie O. Finley. Just pray they don't upgrade any kid to executive vice president.

Hendu
06-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Now if they could get 50 of these kids to sit in the bleachers and yell "hey (insert name here) you suck" to the opposing team's left fielder, that'd be cool. :redneck

Unregistered
06-04-2005, 12:56 AM
It started with MC Hammer in Oakland in the seventies with Charlie O. Finley. Just pray they don't upgrade any kid to executive vice president.Wasn't there a movie like that?
:?:

mealfred13
06-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Oh come on people, what's with all the Scrooges?

I was at the game today, which by the way was awesome, and I heard the kids announcing the hitters. What's wrong with that? Even if they had to pay to do it, which I doubt, so what? Maybe you're just jealous because YOU didn't get to do it.

Too many kid-haters around here.

PicktoCLick72
06-04-2005, 01:17 AM
:threadsucks Is that Joe Buck?

iwcup
06-04-2005, 10:04 AM
yeah its horrible, this whole concept of involving kids....you know making them sox fans for life, terrible...whats Brooks email? I need to write him on this travesty...

StepsInSC
06-04-2005, 10:13 AM
But when you start making the game a little less traditional and less pure, it's no good.

What exactly does this mean, less traditional and pure?

paciorek1983
06-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Oh come on people, what's with all the Scrooges?

I was at the game today, which by the way was awesome, and I heard the kids announcing the hitters. What's wrong with that? Even if they had to pay to do it, which I doubt, so what? Maybe you're just jealous because YOU didn't get to do it.

Too many kid-haters around here.

I'm not a kid-hater. I love everything they do for kids, the fundamentals area is wonderful, kids days,etc. I know that if I was a kid I'd want to be up in the booth too, but I still prefer they don't do that.

harwar
06-04-2005, 10:24 AM
The only problem that i've had with kids & MLB is when some managers,who shall remain nameless (-> DUSTY BAKER <-),letting their kids act as bat boy during the World Series and almost getting run over at the plate causing themselves and others possible injury.
Now THAT is greatly annoying.

mmmmmbeeer
06-04-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm fairly sure that if there was $ exchanged, which if they were relatives of a previous announcer I doubt any money changed hands, but if there was I imagine nearly every penny went to White Sox charities, much like every other opportunity the white sox sell (sleepover, yard sale, etc...)

A.T. Money
06-04-2005, 10:37 AM

No dude....it was in May 2004. Bob Casey wasn't dead yet.

I was there for the series and they did it every game, and it's usually in the 4th inning.

CallMeNuts
06-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm fairly sure that if there was $ exchanged, which if they were relatives of a previous announcer I doubt any money changed hands, but if there was I imagine nearly every penny went to White Sox charities, much like every other opportunity the white sox sell (sleepover, yard sale, etc...)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ticketing/fantasy_experiences.jsp

per the link above, "A portion of the proceeds benefits Chicago White Sox Charities."

Sox Charities supports Chicago are Cancer and Kids athletic programs. It's a good thing. So when you hear the kid announcing for an inning, remember its for a good cause.

Foulke You
06-04-2005, 06:46 PM
At least it's a break from hearing Gene Honda love every minute of his voice.
Hey now, Gene is the man! There will be no hating on Gene "the man" Honda around here from now on.:tongue: :D:

whitesoxfan
06-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey now, Gene is the man! There will be no hating on Gene "the man" Honda around here from now on.:tongue: :D:

you beat me to it.

:hawk

I looooooooooove Gene.

chisox
06-04-2005, 06:56 PM
please, all you guys complaining about the kids announcing. how much would you love to get on the p.a. system and say, "fraaaaaaaank thomas."

Realist
06-04-2005, 07:52 PM

Hell yeah. I think they should let kids announce the Sox batters for the entire game on Kids Days. The Sox can set up a booth on the concourse where kids can go add their names to a lottery.

I also think that every home Sunday day game should be a Kids Day.

nedlug
06-04-2005, 08:14 PM
please, all you guys complaining about the kids announcing. how much would you love to get on the p.a. system and say, "fraaaaaaaank thomas."

What about hearing your voice resonate: "Fraaaaaank Thomas-omas-omas". Man, I want to do it now! Maybe this thread should be complaining that they don't have an "Adults Announce the Players Day".

A.T. Money
06-05-2005, 12:39 AM
They had a grown man do the player's names in the 2nd today for Saturday's game.

So I guess it's not just kids now.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-05-2005, 07:49 PM
I don't like the kid announcers. This isn't the Kane County Cougars, I didn't pay $3 for my ticket I paid $38. Give me a professional experience. If they want to limit to Sunday afternoon games for an inning I could accept that. Leave the guest conductor-announcer crap on the North Side.

BA-HUM-BUG YA-ALL!!!!!!

skobabe8
06-05-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't like the kid announcers. This isn't the Kane County Cougars, I didn't pay $3 for my ticket I paid $38. Give me a professional experience. If they want to limit to Sunday afternoon games for an inning I could accept that. Leave the guest conductor-announcer crap on the North Side.

BA-HUM-BUG YA-ALL!!!!!!

LOL :D:
You reminded me of the chairman when he bought the team and said he was gonna return the White Sox to a "classy" organization.

IowaSox1971
06-06-2005, 02:06 AM
I was at Friday night's game, and there was a young boy who did an outstanding job of announcing the batters for a half-inning or so. I'm really not sure why any reasonable person would think this is a bad thing. What's the next ridiculous request: Not let any kids into the park?

PBRWarrior
06-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I can't belive people have a problem with this. If you go to the game to listen to the announcer call a players name out, you are a joke. You should already be able to tell who the player is. Do you relize that its done for a charity and that the kid that gets to do it is going to remember it for the rest of his/her life. I would have killed to have heard my voice announcing over the PA system when I was 8 or 9. I think its great for the kid and for the atmosphere of the park.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-06-2005, 12:42 PM
it's kinda cool because on the tv broadcast they show the kid briefly, so you finally get to see the regular pa guy. honda rules

Fake Chet Lemon
06-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I can't belive people have a problem with this. If you go to the game to listen to the announcer call a players name out, you are a joke. You should already be able to tell who the player is. Do you relize that its done for a charity and that the kid that gets to do it is going to remember it for the rest of his/her life. I would have killed to have heard my voice announcing over the PA system when I was 8 or 9. I think its great for the kid and for the atmosphere of the park.

And it would make a kids day to let them pinch run in the 9th inning for charity as well. Doesn't make it right, does it? It would make their day to replace Hawk and DJ too, but doesn't make it right. Since we are discussing such important topics, I'll now start a thread and our thoughts on the European Union and how and if it should be saved :D: .

IowaSox1971
06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
If you need to hear a "professional" announcer to know who's at bat, then you belong at Wrigley Field, not the cell. Real White Sox fans know who's up.

Give the kids a break. The kid I heard announce the names actually was more pleasant to listen to than Gene Honda.

soxGirl14
06-07-2005, 08:53 AM
As long as you have the money...you can do anything your lil heart desires with the White Sox.

I think you can even pay if you want to throw one of the first pitches out (which I really dont get if they do more than 1 first pitch).

But come on, leave the lil kids alone. Its not interfering with the game, honestly, just bring ear plugs next time if it really bothers you that much. They might not be professionals but theyre just having fun..and isnt that the point of going to the games....to have fun?

Palehose13
06-07-2005, 09:27 AM
If you need to hear a "professional" announcer to know who's at bat, then you belong at Wrigley Field, not the cell. Real White Sox fans know who's up.

Give the kids a break. The kid I heard announce the names actually was more pleasant to listen to than Gene Honda.

I don't need a professional announcer. I know who is up. I just happen to love the "Gene Honda experience" and apparently so do a lot of other people. I think it is especially great to hear him do announcements at Sox Fest...it really gets me in the mood for baseball in January.

However, I don't mind the kids...unless it takes awya a "Frank Thomas" from Honda.

btw...what's the deal with newbies and attitude lately???