PDA

View Full Version : My Personal Plea to "Finish" The Cell

Red Barchetta
06-03-2005, 05:59 PM
With the slow transformation to Green Seats, I think the White Sox have come a very long way in converting the 1991 "Ball Mall" to a retro ballpark that is at par with the best in the game.

I recently moved to Florida outside Tampa and visited the Tropicana Dome during the ONLY :(: visit of the season by the White Sox in early May. What a dump! Don't ever complain about the Cell until you have witnessed in person that abortion of a ballpark.

Anyway, I still visit Chicago for business on a regular basis and have managed to attend 5 games this year at the Cell. I am amazed at how the Scout Seats and the Fundamentals deck have improved the overall architecture of the park. Even though I don't partake of the Fundamentals area, the look from home plate is 100% improved. I especially notice this on TV broadcasts. Which leads my to my plea....(I hope you're reading this Brooks).

Now that the kids have the LF corner, why not offer the adults the RF corner? We already have the Stadium Club and Patio Sports Bar in place. By adding some kind of upper patio deck (Jack Daniels Party Deck idea), we could open up the Stadium Club and tie in the outdoor tailgating are directly into the right field corner. This would allow for great marketing opportunities and promotions.

Second, the brick work done for the Fundamentals, Concourse and CenterField deck has really improved the look of the park. Why not "complete" the project and brick over the exposed concrete in the bullpens and upper deck facade. When looking into the pressbox from centerfield, I think it would look great if it was bricked in a slightly darker tone than the rest of the facade. This would offer a true "press box" look compared to the rest of the park. It would look great on TV and would also remove the dated "Comiskey Park All-Star" Theme and the cheap looking pinwheel decals.

The last modifcation would be to add outdoor balconies to all the lower suites similar to the outdoor deck installed in the LF corner. This is one of the major corporate draws of Wrigley Field by allowing guest to sit inside or outside the suite. Old style black iron would look great IMO.

I don't think any of the above mentioned improvements would be very costly compared to what has already been spent and most of it could easily be covered by additional sponsorship.

ShoelessJoeS
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
shouldnt that be in pink...thatd be pretty sweet though

downstairs
06-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Maybe I'm just different... I love the new renovations, but I never really cared all that much. Yeah, the Cel from '91 until recently was pretty generic... but all I ever really cared about was a good team on the field and the ability to get to the field without a massive hassle (read: Wrigley parking, etc.)

No complaints... I just never cared that much and never understood why real baseball fans did...

The old Cel never once affected how I felt at the game... I was there to A. watch a good team and B. get drunk.

:cool:

robertks61
06-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I recently moved to Florida outside Tampa and visited the Tropicana Dome during the ONLY :(: visit of the season by the White Sox in early May. What a dump! Don't ever complain about the Cell until you have witnessed in person that abortion of a ballpark.

I feel your pain in Florida. I stopped by Dolphin Stadium 2 weeks ago (Astros - Marlins). No baseball atmosphere there at all. The Marlins do need a downtown ballpark to survive.

I do agree with you on the cheap looking pinwheels.

CLR01
06-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Now that the kids have the LF corner, why not offer the adults the RF corner? We already have the Stadium Club and Patio Sports Bar in place. By adding some kind of upper patio deck (Jack Daniels Party Deck idea), we could open up the Stadium Club and tie in the outdoor tailgating are directly into the right field corner. This would allow for great marketing opportunities and promotions.

Don't touch the staium club, it is prefect the way it is.

soxfan43
06-03-2005, 09:28 PM
i LOVE the idea of giving the adults the right field area. The bullpen bar is ok, but always so crowded for the patio. The fundamentals area is great for kids but us 21+ yearolds need a play area before games. Regardless, I took my cousin whose from out of town to see the sox play a few weeks ago and he was amazed, he hadn't been there in probaly 6 or 7 years but he loved it. Then he went to wrigley later that week and sait it was dump(he's from boston, so he's fenway biased). Once the great seats are done, it'll be even better.

paciorek1983
06-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Here is a typical email between Brooks Boyer and me. This was last week. The idea about bricking is in there. Except I didn't go as far about the brikcing idea.

Hello again Mr. Boyer,

I'ts been a while since I've emailed you and you're probably somewhat relieved, considering you're more than likely getting alot of email from WSI people.

I wanted to let you know that I've been to four games so far this year, and have really enjoyed myself. The park is looking and sounding better all the time. That's right, I said SOUNDING! It's nice to hear Nancy get the opportunity to play more than the last few years. Any chance of promoting her a little more---maybe using her in a commercial? How about showing her on tv during a game? A few weeks ago while watching a Cubs game on Comcast, they interviewed their organist during the game. When I saw that I was a little upset. How could they do that, and the Sox not do that with Nancy?

I think the new Fundamentals area is great. I don't have any kids, but, I hope that sometime soon, my nieces will be up there having fun. It is really a great idea and it gives the park a unique look. I must say though, that it looks a little different than the rendering when the project was first announced. I would like to know why the field on the Fundamentals deck isn't green, and instead is bland concrete? I thought we were trying to get away from a bland concrete look in the ballpark. I was also hoping that the arched facade that was in the drawing, was also going to be on the deck. And, what about the mural that was in the rendering? Any chance that is going up? Could a mural also be put up on the right field wall where the Stadium Club is? Considering you have a sponsor for the Fundamentals area, I really can't accept it being a monetary issue.

The look of the Scout Seat area is really nice. I like the style and color of the seats. And the bricked walls add a really warm cozy touch. Is there any chance that brick could be added to the bullpen areas, the bullpen bar wall and the bullpen bar terraced seating area? I think that would really top off the park quite nicely.

I thought that more green seats were going to be installed during the season. Why hasn't that happened yet? The Sox have been on some lengthy road trips, yet nothing has been done since before opening day. What gives?

How many more years do we have to endure the McDonald's logo on the centerfield "scoreboard" before a retro clock is added? Whenever that does happen, are there any plans on making some other changes to the board as well? I think it needs a little extra punch to it. Ever since the new video screen was added, the board looks a little boring. I actually liked the board before the new screen was put in. It used to look a little more "busy", which to me, is part of the tradtion of the "exploding scoreboard". How about rearranging some things and put the out-of-town scores on that board, as well as the score of the Sox game? I also think that the board could use some brighter lights. And, it looks like you can't get anyone to advertise on the bottom of the board either, it's been blank since last year. Why isn't there an ad there? Is the space no longer for sale? That would at least fill out the board a little more.

I also wanted to mention that I saw some White Sox ads on the sides of buses downtown. It was really great to see that. It made me feel like the Sox truly are a part of Chicago.

You and the rest of the organization are doing some good things, and it makes me proud to be a White Sox fan. Keep up the good work. Hopefully the Sox can keep winning too. It's been really exciting so far.

Hope to see you at the park sometime.

Sincerely,

Michael

Michael,

Boy oh boy, you have been saving them up, eh?

In order:

Nancy: We are hosting a “Nothing But Nancy” day on June 22nd. Literally, outside of Gene Honda, there will be not music other than Nancy. I hope you can attend.

The Pontiac Fundamentals area is not only the unique element of our ballpark, but I think it is the unique element of any ballpark around the major leagues. We need to wait for some consistent (warmer) weather to put down the flooring for the whiffleball field. It is now down. No mural will go up, but there will be more cosmetic enhancements to the area celebrating the names of each attraction.

No other bricking plans to my knowledge although I do see your point.

At this point, all I can say about the green seats is that the entire park will be green for Opening Day, 2006.

Scoreboard: McDonald’s owns the space where you propose a clock goes. As a valued, long-time sponsor, that area will be what McDonald’s wants it to be as long as McDonald’s wants it. Since we put in the Fan Deck, the sign you refer to is blocked for many fans. Considering this, we decided to not sell that piece of inventory. The only way I see that sign coming back is if some buys the naming rights to the Fan Deck.

We thought having a presence with the CTA made sense. I am glad you like the ads.

We will keep plugging away. Thanks for the e-mail and all the best,

Brooks

Bisco Stu
06-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Haven't been to the Cell since 2002 (for the 10-7 win over the Mets), but can't see it ever being "on par" with SBC/Pac Bell Park. Still, it's much better than all the generic media pundits and klueless Kubs fans make it out to be.

slavko
06-04-2005, 12:21 AM
I brought up my dislike of them last year in a ballpark thread and met with some criticism from older hands around here. I'm glad I'm not the only one. They are tacky looking.

mdep524
06-04-2005, 12:33 AM
RB, I agree with your idea for RF, for a variety of reasons. Also, are you a Rush fan by chance?

pinwheels3530
06-04-2005, 01:03 AM
With the slow transformation to Green Seats, I think the White Sox have come a very long way in converting the 1991 "Ball Mall" to a retro ballpark that is at par with the best in the game.

Anyway, I still visit Chicago for business on a regular basis and have managed to attend 5 games this year at the Cell. I am amazed at how the Scout Seats and the Fundamentals deck have improved the overall architecture of the park. Even though I don't partake of the Fundamentals area, the look from home plate is 100% improved. I especially notice this on TV broadcasts. Which leads my to my plea....(I hope you're reading this Brooks).

Second, the brick work done for the Fundamentals, Concourse and CenterField deck has really improved the look of the park. Why not "complete" the project and brick over the exposed concrete in the bullpens and upper deck facade. When looking into the pressbox from centerfield, I think it would look great if it was bricked in a slightly darker tone than the rest of the facade. This would offer a true "press box" look compared to the rest of the park. It would look great on TV and would also remove the dated "Comiskey Park All-Star" Theme and the cheap looking pinwheel decals.

The last modifcation would be to add outdoor balconies to all the lower suites similar to the outdoor deck installed in the LF corner. This is one of the major corporate draws of Wrigley Field by allowing guest to sit inside or outside the suite. Old style black iron would look great IMO.

I don't think any of the above mentioned improvements would be very costly compared to what has already been spent and most of it could easily be covered by additional sponsorship.

Also how about changing the out of town scoreboard color scheme to green giving it a more traditional look!

Brian26
06-04-2005, 09:16 AM
LOL, Brooks is a class act to answer that long email. I think I fell asleep twice trying to read the entire thing. I think the calendar switched a couple of months too.

From the first day I saw it, I loved the Fundamentals area. It looks perfect and is an excellent transition from the upper deck to the lower concourse. I'd love to see a structure very similar to it placed in the same place in rightfield.

Red Barchetta
06-04-2005, 09:33 AM
RB, I agree with your idea for RF, for a variety of reasons. Also, are you a Rush fan by chance?

Now what gave you that idea? :D:

...only saw them about 50 times in my life. (Ex Drummer Syndrome)

paciorek1983
06-04-2005, 10:11 AM
LOL, Brooks is a class act to answer that long email. I think I fell asleep twice trying to read the entire thing. I think the calendar switched a couple of months too.

From the first day I saw it, I loved the Fundamentals area. It looks perfect and is an excellent transition from the upper deck to the lower concourse. I'd love to see a structure very similar to it placed in the same place in rightfield.

Yeah he's really good about that. I ususally don't write them that long, but I hadn't written to him in a few months. I'd say, since he started with the Sox, and I mailed him a nice welcome letter, he's responded to every time I've written him. He's a great guy.

It would be cool to have a similar deck in right field as well. Hopefully they can get a sponsor and do something like that.

I am disappointed about the McDonald's sponsorship situation. It's great to have them as a sponsor, but I wish they'd agree to a retro clock to sponsor. Maybe if everyone here, who would like to see that happen, could write to McD, they would change their minds. I know that McD could come up with a cool looking clock with one of their retro logos on it.

Hangar18
06-04-2005, 10:19 AM
I am disappointed about the McDonald's sponsorship situation. It's great to have them as a sponsor, but I wish they'd agree to a retro clock to sponsor. Maybe if everyone here, who would like to see that happen, could write to McD, they would change their minds. I know that McD could come up with a cool looking clock with one of their retro logos on it.

That is terrible looking. Every time I look at our scoreboard from the 50's thru the 70's, I wonder what went wrong when they designed it? In 1983, it was the first year it started looking bad, becoming a Boxy tv set out there. When they moved across the street, it became nearly Twice the Size, with the Twice the billboards on it and even less of a scoreboard. They also somehow misplaced the CLOCK and 2 of the pinwheels. In 80 years, when they tear this place down, I can see only 1 pinwheel left, but they'll have the CLOCK finally back up ..........

paciorek1983
06-04-2005, 10:28 AM
That is terrible looking. Every time I look at our scoreboard from the 50's thru the 70's, I wonder what went wrong when they designed it? In 1983, it was the first year it started looking bad, becoming a Boxy tv set out there. When they moved across the street, it became nearly Twice the Size, with the Twice the billboards on it and even less of a scoreboard. They also somehow misplaced the CLOCK and 2 of the pinwheels. In 80 years, when they tear this place down, I can see only 1 pinwheel left, but they'll have the CLOCK finally back up ..........

Yeah, I think the "scoreboard" has been watered down since it's 70's heyday. It's like a bland characture of it's previous self. You think there's any chance that if enough of us get McD's attention that they would sponsor a clock?

C-Dawg
06-04-2005, 07:14 PM
.....the cheap looking pinwheel decals.

LOL yea I was at a game last year and sat next to some fans from Cleveland attending their first game here at the Cell.... With a completely straight face, one of them leaned over and asked me what was the significance of the "peppermints". I guess when they are everywhere, its easy to forget that they are really supposed to be the pinwheels on the scoreboard.

Having the new seats completely installed will be a big help I believe. My last two games this year I have sat over in LF (151-153) and never really noticed how faded the seats are over there. I guess my usual haunts in RF don't get nearly as much sun. I realize that once the seats are occupied, it doesn't matter what color they are, faded or otherwise, but arriving early one can't help but be struck by the sea of faded blue seats glistening in the sun.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-05-2005, 07:30 PM
The upper deck improvements have been fantastic. But they still need a "draw" up there. Something that might actually cause you to occasionally buy a ticket up there INSTEAD of the lower bowl. What could they do? Vendors upstairs that all look like Jenny Finch would be nice, but seriously what???

TomBradley72
06-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Maybe the could package a few things for upper deck ticket holders..ie. specific raffles/drawings for the "500 Club", some extra incentives for season ticket holders who will sign up of upper deck seats, specific autograph signings by former Sox players...maybe find a way to link to all of the luxury suites that go unused most games? ie. Select a group or two of upper deck ticket holders each game who get to spend the game in a luxury suite.

skobabe8
06-05-2005, 09:52 PM
How about a really good price for season tickets in the 500 level? This would increase season ticket holders and put more people up there. Tickets for premium upper box are currently $20 to $29. Have a season ticket package where the price comes out to around $13 to $15 for a half or full season commitment. Or even cheaper.

tebman
06-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I think the "scoreboard" has been watered down since it's 70's heyday. It's like a bland characture of it's previous self. You think there's any chance that if enough of us get McD's attention that they would sponsor a clock?

There have been a couple of previous threads (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39646&page=2&pp=15&highlight=dive+bombers) (and here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30839&highlight=dive+bombers))about this, and the consensus is that you're absolutely right. Don't know if McDonald's (or anybody else) would go for it, but I don't know why not.

If you haven't heard what it originally sounded like when it was first built, listen to it at this link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241) -- scroll down the page to the July 5, 1964 game and the May 2, 1965 game and click the audio clips. You'll love it!

skobabe8
06-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I think the scoreboard needs to be overhauled completely. It should be widened and could be if you take out the 2 billboards on either side of it. Then you would have tons of room for the inning by inning score, and possibly even the out of town scoreboard. You can move the advertisers who are on the billboards right onto the scoreboard. Change the shape to what it used to be in the 70s. Add the missing pinwheels. Make the fireworks actually SHOOT OUT of the pinwheels. Add the clock. Brighten the lights. Bingo.

And brick the bullpens!! :D:

nitetrain8601
06-06-2005, 03:40 PM
I think the scoreboard needs to be overhauled completely. It should be widened and could be if you take out the 2 billboards on either side of it. Then you would have tons of room for the inning by inning score, and possibly even the out of town scoreboard. You can move the advertisers who are on the billboards right onto the scoreboard. Change the shape to what it used to be in the 70s. Add the missing pinwheels. Make the fireworks actually SHOOT OUT of the pinwheels. Add the clock. Brighten the lights. Bingo.

And brick the bullpens!! :D:

They actually had the fireworks coming out of the pinwheels back in 2003 and before that for a couple of years, but the problem was, the OF crowd had to be cleared of the OF because fireworks would land on top of them(not exploding on their lap, but the flares and the debris that comes from fireworks would land on them). They decided to put that back outside so no one would have to move.

I don't care too much about the brick for the bullpens. I don't know how much it would match the greyish/silver paint unless they were grey bricks and that just wouldn't look right to me. My idea would to have the McDonald's logo as a background for the clock at least. Brightening the lights would be nice.

TheOldRoman
06-06-2005, 05:14 PM
They actually had the fireworks coming out of the pinwheels back in 2003 and before that for a couple of years, but the problem was, the OF crowd had to be cleared of the OF because fireworks would land on top of them(not exploding on their lap, but the flares and the debris that comes from fireworks would land on them). They decided to put that back outside so no one would have to move.

I don't care too much about the brick for the bullpens. I don't know how much it would match the greyish/silver paint unless they were grey bricks and that just wouldn't look right to me. My idea would to have the McDonald's logo as a background for the clock at least. Brightening the lights would be nice.
I think the bricks would look GREAT in the bullpens. Im not a fan of the bland grey paint they covered the bullpen area in, and a lot of people on this board arent either, based on the responses. I think it would look great if the area behind the fences was bricked over in the same bricks that are on the concourse, the fandeck, and behind the scout seats. As someone mentioned before, they could paint the advertisements onto the bricks to make it look very classy and old fasioned.:thumbsup:

WagMan
06-06-2005, 11:21 PM
While I love the vast improvements they've made at the cell over the past couple of years, I just wish they'd hurry up and finish already with the green seats. Everytime they come home from a road trip, I expect to see some progress and it doesn't look like anything's changed. My understanding was they were gonna work on a portion of the upperdeck each time the team was away.

And, a bit off topic (but something that needs to be addressed), if you're sitting in the outfield, it's hard to score the game. I know the ribbon boards around the park are paid for and mainly used for advertising, but, can we get a portion of a board somewhere? If you're sitting in right field, it's nearly impossible to keep up and check the official scoring of a questionable play.

brewcrew/chisox
06-06-2005, 11:49 PM
It's hard to score now if you are sitting down the third base line (my season tickets package). The fundementals deck blocks your view of the lineup and the rest of the scoreboard. When the game starts, and if i have just arrived at game time, i have a hard time seeing the lineup to score my card. I'd also like them to show a few more stats and such on the center scoreboard instead of just the players' pictures.

i love the improvements though; the upper deck looks 10 times better now then it ever did.

GiveMeSox
06-07-2005, 12:03 AM
My conecern on the fundamentals deck is the lack of the refreshments area tiki bar looking thing on the top left. Looking at the rendering on the sox site, on the uppermost left side where it connects to the upper deck there is a bar/refreshment stand looking thing that currently isn't there. My point is it would add a great deal to the look and use of the deck to be able to get some food and drinks from a most unique view of the game and field. Has anyone else noticed this? I just feel a little cheated being promised the things that are in the rendering and its not all there (yet)!

nitetrain8601
06-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I think the bricks would look GREAT in the bullpens. Im not a fan of the bland grey paint they covered the bullpen area in, and a lot of people on this board arent either, based on the responses. I think it would look great if the area behind the fences was bricked over in the same bricks that are on the concourse, the fandeck, and behind the scout seats. As someone mentioned before, they could paint the advertisements onto the bricks to make it look very classy and old fasioned.:thumbsup:

If you get the bricks, you basically would have to get rid of the paint they have covering the Cell(the greyish paint). They won't do that just to get some bricks in there. I mean I would like bricks too and the grey color to look like the outside of the Cell and brick would accentuate it very well.

TheOldRoman
06-07-2005, 02:45 AM
If you get the bricks, you basically would have to get rid of the paint they have covering the Cell(the greyish paint). They won't do that just to get some bricks in there. I mean I would like bricks too and the grey color to look like the outside of the Cell and brick would accentuate it very well.
:?:
They wouldnt have to "get rid" of the grey at all. They would completely cover up the grey area in the bullpens and behind the fences, but that wouldnt change the other areas that were painted grey, such as the pressbox. The grey paint doesnt clash with the bricks, its all in the current color scheme that they planned for the park.

skobabe8
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
:?:
They wouldnt have to "get rid" of the grey at all. They would completely cover up the grey area in the bullpens and behind the fences, but that wouldnt change the other areas that were painted grey, such as the pressbox. The grey paint doesnt clash with the bricks, its all in the current color scheme that they planned for the park.

Thats why I would like to see the pressbox bricked, too. I say bullpens, bp sports bar, patio area, and the facade around the 300 level including the area around the pressbox. I think it would look fantastic.

As far as the fundamentals deck, I dont think there will be a tiki bar up there because youre not even allowed to bring a beer up there. Believe me, I've tried, and I was stopped at the door. :gulp: There is a small refershment stand up there, but it only has pop and gatorade and stuff like that.

pinwheels3530
06-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Maybe they can paint a mural on the Grey wall with old WhiteSox history ( like they did on the upperdeck concourses ) I think that would look cool!

24thStFan
06-07-2005, 11:43 AM
I just returned from my annual 1000 mile pilgrimage to Comiskey and I thought it looked great. My family and I attended Pan American night last Friday and the we were very pleased with the look of the new Fundamentals area. I still love the concourse and the open-air party atmosphere it brings to the park. I was a little disappointed in the scout seating area because it was only half full. Like some other posters, I wish the Sox would do something (like lower ticket prices) to get people to sit in the UD. We're the best team in the majors and the park should be full every game.

Hitmen77
06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Regarding RF, perhaps they still have an upper deck (or commonly referred to as a HR Porch) on the drawing boards for a few years down the road?

If I'm not mistaken, the Sox currently have one of the lowest seating capacities in the league (I think it's officially 41,000), but it seems like we "sell out" at around 38,000. If (or I should say WHEN) the Sox start generating more sell outs, maybe they'll see the need to add some seating capacity back to the park in order to generate additional revenue.

GiveMeSox
06-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Regarding RF, perhaps they still have an upper deck (or commonly referred to as a HR Porch) on the drawing boards for a few years down the road?

If I'm not mistaken, the Sox currently have one of the lowest seating capacities in the league (I think it's officially 41,000), but it seems like we "sell out" at around 38,000. If (or I should say WHEN) the Sox start generating more sell outs, maybe they'll see the need to add some seating capacity back to the park in order to generate additional revenue.

Its officially listed as 40,615 on whitesox.com!

Red Barchetta
06-07-2005, 07:27 PM

I know that's the way JR thinks when it comes to new seats in right field. I think they should lower all upper deck tickets between 3rd base/1st base and the respective foul poles to $5.00 or $7.50. That would help "fill in" the ballpark.

One of the primary attractions IMO is the outfield concourse. I love walking it on sunny day games and watching the game from various angles. Once the SOX brass cut off the upper deck from the concourse, I thought they ruined the atmosphere. I understand the security issue as a result of 911 and those two nimrods who beat up the KC coach, however they need to keep the concourse and fan deck open for everyone.

This adds more fuel to build some kind of rightfield upperdeck fan porch, etc. It would be great if it even hung over the RF wall creating a home run deck. It doesn't have to be a flat concrete slab, rather a patio-like beer garden connected into the Stadium Club. The new Atlanta ball park has a similar area in RCF.

Back to the brick, looking directly from the Center Field Fan deck provides a great representation of a how well a bricked press box would look on TV, further selling the park during each broadcast.

Similar to the Tribune marketing efforts at Wrigley Field, I think it's great that the SOX broadcasts are now showing more "atmosphere" shots of the Cell, i.e. concourse food courts, FUNdamentals, etc. Keep it up, however
"FINISH THE CELL". :smile:

TheOldRoman
06-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Red, the cut off of the upper deck ticket holders from the lower deck happened for several reasons. The Sox used the excuse (or people believe they did) that it was because of security reasons, citing the Ligue and Dybas incidents. However, it was something that was in the making for a while, and something season ticket holders pushed for. The lower deck of the park was made to hold so many people. The upperdeck was made to hold the rest of them. The lower deck doesn't have the facilities to support many more people than lower deck seats. Many people would buy upperdeck tickets and loiter on the outfield concourse. Even on sell out dates there were always many empty seats visible in the upper deck, and that is because people from the upper deck going down to the outfield concourse. Not only did they make for long lines at restrooms and consessions stands, they were also a nuisance, clogging up the concourse. Season ticket holders complained because it was a pain in the ass maneuvering around a packed concourse. Why should they have to be inconvenienced? They pay good money for those tickets. Someone who bought a ticket to sit in the last row of the upperdeck, the cheapest ticket to the game, SHOULD NOT have the right to stand right behind people who paid 4x what they did to sit in that area. I am not a season ticket holder, I am only 22 and recently out of college. I don't mind the upperdeck, it provides a great view and of course the cheapest seats are up there. Its only a minor inconvenience for me not being allowed onto the lower level. If allowed, I would go to the hall of fame gift shop and visit Nancy, and thats about it. I would still watch the game from the upper deck. Unlike others who still bitch on this board about not being able to buy the cheapest tickets and linger on the lower concourse, I put up with it. I sit in the seats I paid for. I'm happy, season ticket holders are happy, and none of us have to wait in Urinal-esque lines to use the facilities.

If I ran things, I would leave the lower deck open to all ticket holders. That way people could see the entire park. However, I would have guards going around with cattle prods to take care of any upper deck people who loitered on the outfield concourse. If any upper deck ticket holder stood around, their ass would get a few thousand volts. :cool: Congestion would no longer be a problem.

Red Barchetta
06-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Red, the cut off of the upper deck ticket holders from the lower deck happened for several reasons. The Sox used the excuse (or people believe they did) that it was because of security reasons, citing the Ligue and Dybas incidents. However, it was something that was in the making for a while, and something season ticket holders pushed for. The lower deck of the park was made to hold so many people. The upperdeck was made to hold the rest of them. The lower deck doesn't have the facilities to support many more people than lower deck seats. Many people would buy upperdeck tickets and loiter on the outfield concourse. Even on sell out dates there were always many empty seats visible in the upper deck, and that is because people from the upper deck going down to the outfield concourse. Not only did they make for long lines at restrooms and consessions stands, they were also a nuisance, clogging up the concourse. Season ticket holders complained because it was a pain in the ass maneuvering around a packed concourse. Why should they have to be inconvenienced? They pay good money for those tickets. Someone who bought a ticket to sit in the last row of the upperdeck, the cheapest ticket to the game, SHOULD NOT have the right to stand right behind people who paid 4x what they did to sit in that area. I am not a season ticket holder, I am only 22 and recently out of college. I don't mind the upperdeck, it provides a great view and of course the cheapest seats are up there. Its only a minor inconvenience for me not being allowed onto the lower level. If allowed, I would go to the hall of fame gift shop and visit Nancy, and thats about it. I would still watch the game from the upper deck. Unlike others who still bitch on this board about not being able to buy the cheapest tickets and linger on the lower concourse, I put up with it. I sit in the seats I paid for. I'm happy, season ticket holders are happy, and none of us have to wait in Urinal-esque lines to use the facilities.

If I ran things, I would leave the lower deck open to all ticket holders. That way people could see the entire park. However, I would have guards going around with cattle prods to take care of any upper deck people who loitered on the outfield concourse. If any upper deck ticket holder stood around, their ass would get a few thousand volts. :cool: Congestion would no longer be a problem.

I like the cattle prod idea! You're probably right when it comes to the true reason the upper deck is now closed off. Perhaps they could open up the concourse after the 7th inning. However, if they want the upper deck sold out, they simply need to reduce the seat prices especially up in the corners. Unless it's post season, I would rather watch a game from my home or a nice bar with a big screen TV than to pay $15.00 to sit that far away from the action. $5.00 would we inviting....

TheOldRoman
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
I like the cattle prod idea! You're probably right when it comes to the true reason the upper deck is now closed off. Perhaps they could open up the concourse after the 7th inning. However, if they want the upper deck sold out, they simply need to reduce the seat prices especially up in the corners. Unless it's post season, I would rather watch a game from my home or a nice bar with a big screen TV than to pay $15.00 to sit that far away from the action. $5.00 would we inviting....
I agree. It has been brought up here time and time again. People debate the economics of few people paying a lot of money vs. many people paying little money. There is a midground, and the Sox need to find it. Whether or not the Sox want to realize it, they would make a lot more money lowering upperdeck corner ticket prices a little. They would make less money per ticket, but they would sell a lot more tickets. The more people you put in the stands, the more people you can rape for $17 for parking, the more people who buy food, more people who buy beer, more people who buy souvenirs, etc.

skobabe8
06-07-2005, 08:25 PM

Bravo to everything you said, OldRoman. If I ever want to wander the concourse during the game (which is almost never), I'll buy a ticket for the 100 level. The ud policy, while not great for visitors to the park who are unfamiliar with the ploicy, is fine by me. I would probably even keep it that way if I owned the team. I do also believe that the ud corners should be around $5. I would also drop the price for the entire 500 level higher than the poles.

pinwheels3530
06-09-2005, 01:57 PM
How about moving the out of town scoreboard ( also change the background color to green to match the rest of the park ) next to the main scoreboard in right center. Then do something with the rest of the space. A outside patio/HR porch that you can enter from the outside would be really cool! Half of the new deck could have seats & the other half a standing room area with beer tents & barbecue grilles for people hanging out during the summer!!

Rich McKinney
06-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I love the new changes to the ballpark. But, why are they going to green seats instead of blue?

pinwheels3530
06-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I love the new changes to the ballpark. But, why are they going to green seats instead of blue?

Because green seats give a ballpark a more classic look!

LVSoxFan
06-09-2005, 03:32 PM
While I like some of the ideas here I am loathe to eat up any more sunshine on the concourse in the outfield. The fundamentals section is nice, but realize that now that part of LF is essentially roofed.

You've already got the center field fan deck and now LF. If they were to build out beyond RF--where the BB is now, that's fine with me.

steff
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
My conecern on the fundamentals deck is the lack of the refreshments area tiki bar looking thing on the top left. Looking at the rendering on the sox site, on the uppermost left side where it connects to the upper deck there is a bar/refreshment stand looking thing that currently isn't there. My point is it would add a great deal to the look and use of the deck to be able to get some food and drinks from a most unique view of the game and field. Has anyone else noticed this? I just feel a little cheated being promised the things that are in the rendering and its not all there (yet)!

Umm.. it's an area for kids. And they do sell refreshments up there.

steff
06-09-2005, 04:35 PM
While I like some of the ideas here I am loathe to eat up any more sunshine on the concourse in the outfield. The fundamentals section is nice, but realize that now that part of LF is essentially roofed.

Have you been there in person...?? No it's not. It barely shades the concourse when you are standing at the steps to go up to it.

paciorek1983
06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
While I like some of the ideas here I am loathe to eat up any more sunshine on the concourse in the outfield.

I luv shade............:cool:

iamkoza
06-09-2005, 07:56 PM
lets jack the park up and rotate it 130 degrees or so counter clockwise

Red Barchetta
06-09-2005, 09:48 PM
How about moving the out of town scoreboard ( also change the background color to green to match the rest of the park ) next to the main scoreboard in right center. Then do something with the rest of the space. A outside patio/HR porch that you can enter from the outside would be really cool! Half of the new deck could have seats & the other half a standing room area with beer tents & barbecue grilles for people hanging out during the summer!!

This is exactly the idea for right field. A barbecue/outdoor beergarden connected to the stadium club with access from the right field/south parking lot. You could then go a step further a make the left field corner more family oriented with limited beer/acohol sales and then make the right field area geared towards adults. Note I say adults, not overserved frat boys...

steff
06-09-2005, 10:55 PM
This is exactly the idea for right field. A barbecue/outdoor beergarden connected to the stadium club with access from the right field/south parking lot. You could then go a step further a make the left field corner more family oriented with limited beer/acohol sales and then make the right field area geared towards adults. Note I say adults, not overserved frat boys...

No way do anything to the Stadium Club... it's fine just the way it is. And no to beer sales on the KIDS AREA.

paciorek1983
06-09-2005, 10:58 PM
No way do anything to the Stadium Club... it's fine just the way it is. And no to beer sales on the KIDS AREA.

I know you grey pouponners want your area to yourselves, but I'm sorry, the regular fans have been denied a restaurant at the ballpark that belongs to all of us. Open it up to all.

CLR01
06-10-2005, 01:34 AM
I know you grey pouponners want your area to yourselves, but I'm sorry, the regular fans have been denied a restaurant at the ballpark that belongs to all of us. Open it up to all.

:whiner:

I think they should open up all of the Diamond Suites and make it into the worlds largest bar. They could stock every kind of alcohol one could ever want and everyone could just stand around and get hammered. We will make Jerry's suite the toilet. Then make seating first come first serve, its not fair that I have to sit in the upper deck when I buy a ticket there. Screw the grey pouponers. :rolleyes:

Sorry you cant get in there but there are plenty of places to booze it up around the park they dont need another. Check out the bull pen bar.

CLR01
06-10-2005, 01:36 AM

Come on now Steff the kids have to learn how to drink sometime right? What better time than at the old ball park. Free margaritas for everyone under the age of 16.

steff
06-10-2005, 05:51 AM

You want in.. PAY THE MEMBERSHIP.

steff
06-10-2005, 05:52 AM

I think they should open up all of the Diamond Suites and make it into the worlds largest bar. They could stock every kind of alcohol one could ever want and everyone could just stand around and get hammered. We will make Jerry's suite the toilet. Then make seating first come first serve, its not fair that I have to sit in the upper deck when I buy a ticket there. Screw the grey pouponers. :rolleyes:

Sorry you cant get in there but there are plenty of places to booze it up around the park they dont need another. Check out the bull pen bar.

Exactly.

paciorek1983
06-10-2005, 09:01 AM
You want in.. PAY THE MEMBERSHIP.

See how snotty you all are about it. With that kind of attitude, I don't think it's even worth it.

Don't other ballparks, have a restaurant that you don't have to pay a membership to get in, aka...Miller Park----Fridays??

paciorek1983
06-10-2005, 09:06 AM

It's not about boozing it up. It's about having a nice pre/postgame meal with your family and/or those under 21. Although I like the bullpen bar, it can be loud and sometimes that's annoying.

LVSoxFan
06-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Have you been there in person...?? No it's not. It barely shades the concourse when you are standing at the steps to go up to it.

Actually I've been there 16 times this season so far and #17 will be Tuesday night. You?

And you were saying?

steff
06-10-2005, 12:11 PM
See how snotty you all are about it. With that kind of attitude, I don't think it's even worth it.

Don't other ballparks, have a restaurant that you don't have to pay a membership to get in, aka...Miller Park----Fridays??

You can "read" snotty...?? :rolleyes:

With your attitude of expecting things rather than paying for them I'm glad you don't think it's worth it.

Miller Park's Club is members only.

We have the BPB where the same food minus the buffet is served.

steff
06-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Actually I've been there 16 times this season so far and #17 will be Tuesday night. You?

And you were saying?

15.. with 16, 17 and 18 coming up Mon, Tues, and Friday, although I don't really see what that has to do with anything :?: . There is no shade until you get under the steps. The structure does not cover the seats at all.

Brian26
06-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Steff doesn't need anyone to defend her, but she's anything but snotty. I think she shares the same view as a lot of us do. She works her ass off for her money. She has a passion for White Sox baseball and chooses to spend that money on the product. Why should other people get the same thing for free or for a lesser price? It's called busting your ass and taking pride in your efforts. I think we all enjoy getting in for half-price once in awhile, and who doesn't like getting freebies here and there? Still, when it comes down to it, if you want something nice, you should have to work hard for it. Ultimately, that benefits the Sox too. This attitude is anything but snotty, though.

steff
06-10-2005, 12:30 PM
I think we all enjoy getting in for half-price once in awhile

Half-price...?? What's that..??? :o:

I know it's only a hand full of games but I'd like to pay only $15 for our seats on Monday's..

And Brian, thank you for the rest of your post. :gulp:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-10-2005, 12:31 PM

I'm with Brian. When I had season tix (pre-kids), I also had Stadium Club. I don't make beaucoup bucks but I wanted it, so I paid for it. Just because it's in the park doesn't mean you're ENTITLED to it. You want the finer things? Belly on up. I'm with Steff on this one....

And one more thing - # of trips to the park does not a "qualified" fan make....those who can, do. Those who can't, try harder to do as much as possible.

Brian26
06-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Half-price...?? What's that..??? :o:

I know it's only a hand full of games but I'd like to pay only $15 for our seats on Monday's..

And Brian, thank you for the rest of your post. :gulp:

You're welcome.

I walked up on Memorial Day and got a seat right behind the Scout Seats for $20.50. I lucked out that day, and I appreciate the Sox for giving me the chance to get a ticket like that for such a good deal. That doesn't mean I expect that everytime I go though.

kevingrt
06-10-2005, 12:55 PM
You're welcome.

I walked up on Memorial Day and got a seat right behind the Scout Seats for $20.50. I lucked out that day, and I appreciate the Sox for giving me the chance to get a ticket like that for such a good deal. That doesn't mean I expect that everytime I go though.

Happened to me last year for an Indians gmae, sat like 15 rows behind homeplate for $20.50 on half-price Monday. I don't expect it everytime but it's very respectable that the Sox put those tickets on sale to people coming up to the box-office windows.

CLR01
06-10-2005, 04:09 PM
It's not about boozing it up. It's about having a nice pre/postgame meal with your family and/or those under 21. Although I like the bullpen bar, it can be loud and sometimes that's annoying.

Perhaps not for you but for 75% of those who use it it will be just another place to stand around and get ****faced. Sure the BPB can get noisy but do you really think a beergarden wouldn't? Hell, even the Stadium Club can get noisy on a busy day. I am not against the Sox building something like this but not at the expense of the Stadium Club.

Red Barchetta
06-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Perhaps not for you but for 75% of those who use it it will be just another place to stand around and get ****faced. Sure the BPB can get noisy but do you really think a beergarden wouldn't? Hell, even the Stadium Club can get noisy on a busy day. I am not against the Sox building something like this but not at the expense of the Stadium Club.

My original idea/post was not for the Stadium Club to be changed, simply opening it up for Stadium Club members to go outside to another party/home run deck. It could be a 1-way type ticket. If you have a membership to the Stadium Club you can go in/out at all time. If you are not a member of the Stadium Club, you would still be able to enjoy the new outdoor party/barbeque deck type "thing". :redface:

Membership does have it's rewards and the Stadium Club members should still maintain their rewards. I just want to see a more adult-themed area in right field that connects to the Stadium Club, not remove it.

paciorek1983
06-11-2005, 02:04 AM
You can "read" snotty...?? :rolleyes:

With your attitude of expecting things rather than paying for them I'm glad you don't think it's worth it.

Miller Park's Club is members only.

We have the BPB where the same food minus the buffet is served.

Ok Steff, and others, I guess I can see your point. But are you sure about Miller Park's Friday's? I thought that was just a TGI's that happened to be in the ballpark. I was there on a non-game day and needed no membership to get in, so I figured it is always like that.

And hey, I'm not someone who expects things for nothing. I'm not a hand-out moocher type of person either. But, considering that many on this site have expressed interest in the Sox building a non-member restaurant, I find it annoying that there are now 2-"PAY FOR IT!" restaurants.

steff
06-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Ok Steff, and others, I guess I can see your point. But are you sure about Miller Park's Friday's? I thought that was just a TGI's that happened to be in the ballpark. I was there on a non-game day and needed no membership to get in, so I figured it is always like that.

And hey, I'm not someone who expects things for nothing. I'm not a hand-out moocher type of person either. But, considering that many on this site have expressed interest in the Sox building a non-member restaurant, I find it annoying that there are now 2-"PAY FOR IT!" restaurants.

I wasn't referring to Friday's.. I was referring to Miller's Club which is above Friday's.. that's member's only.

paciorek1983
06-12-2005, 01:09 AM
I wasn't referring to Friday's.. I was referring to Miller's Club which is above Friday's.. that's member's only.

Oh ok. Well I was originally talking about Fridays. So then Fridays is for everyone. That's what I'd like to see, something like Fridays.

steff
06-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Oh ok. Well I was originally talking about Fridays. So then Fridays is for everyone. That's what I'd like to see, something like Fridays.

The picnic area is like Friday's.. the only difference is that you buy a game ticket to get in there. A ticket get's you all you can eat and drink and a seat. At Friday's.. you buy a ticket, then go in there and pay to eat - which by the way is more expensive than eating at a Friday's outside of the park.

skobabe8
06-12-2005, 10:24 AM

Am I missing something? What is the obsession with TGIFridays? Just because some other ballparks have one? Because I've had the food, and it cant be about that.

steff
06-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Am I missing something? What is the obsession with TGIFridays? Just because some other ballparks have one? Because I've had the food, and it cant be about that.

LMAO.. Agree. :D:

Straingage
06-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I've been to practically all the ballparks and "ball malls" that exist today and theres nothing wrong with the cell. The only reason it doesn't get much hype is because its on the other side of town from the urinal they call Wrigley. There is only 2 things wrong with the current ballpark, the outfield fences need to go back to there original dimensions and it's facing the wrong way. If the white sox played in another town media hypes would be praising the park for the food and the convenience. Believe me, I've seen most of them and "the cell" ranks as one of my favorites allthough I may be a little biased.

paciorek1983
06-12-2005, 11:19 PM

Ok here's the thing. It's not about Fridays. It's about havig a place for people to go before the game--which is close to the ballpark. I don't necessarily mean for me, but for those who want to come to our park, who are not familiar with the neighborhood.

Regardless of the places anyone may name, they are not visible to the eye of visiting fans, casual fans, tourists etc. I've worked on and off at Navy Pier and other types of venues for the past 8 years and always end up talking to out of town baseball fans. The regular complaint about our ballpark is that "there is nothing to do/nothing around there".( And even I was unaware about the Patio situation. I thought that was only for groups now, unlike the days before the BPSB.)

They love the experience once they are in the park, but outside the park is a turnoff. Do I honestly need that stuff to enjoy a game??? NO. But it's nice to know it's there and have the option, and I'm sure that goes for alot of others as well. Then there's word of mouth about their experience of the surroundings, and it could end up being a turnoff for others, or it may not matter.

Whether any of you know it or not, Chicago is a tourist town, and we need to accomodate that market. We don't need a partyville, just extra places in and outside of the park that non-hardcore Sox fans can enjoy as part of their White Sox experience.

petergriffen
06-12-2005, 11:26 PM
I feel your pain in Florida. I stopped by Dolphin Stadium 2 weeks ago (Astros - Marlins). No baseball atmosphere there at all. The Marlins do need a downtown ballpark to survive.

I do agree with you on the cheap looking pinwheels.

i heard the city of miami refused to help pay for a new stadium. my money says the team moves soon. where, i dont know.