PDA

View Full Version : Radio Deal Status?

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Do we know where we are on the White Sox radio deal for next season?

Kogs35
06-03-2005, 04:20 PM
now the entire regime from espn1000 that ticked off uncle jerry is gone i wonder if that means anything for espn1000 to try and save the radio rights

gosox41
06-03-2005, 10:47 PM
now the entire regime from espn1000 that ticked off uncle jerry is gone i wonder if that means anything for espn1000 to try and save the radio rights

I'm surprised they'd want the Sox. Didn't they once came out and said that broadcasting Sox games was costing them money????

Bob

BRDSR
06-03-2005, 11:01 PM

Well, then Carmen and Silvy went ahead and ticked off Uncle Jerry, so they'd have to go ahead and leave too.

At this point I think the Sox are going to wait and see if an exceptional season could boost the bids of both interested parties come the offseason. I'd like to see it stay on 1000 just cause I like 1000 and am used to it, but I hear 670 gets further reception so that would be a plus. Whatever, as long as I can still listen to my White Sox.

gf2020
06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I'd like to see it stay on 1000 just cause I like 1000 and am used to it, but I hear 670 gets further reception so that would be a plus. Whatever, as long as I can still listen to my White Sox.

I'd rather have it on 670, which i pick up perfectly fine in DeKalb. 1000 not so much.

I am also a fan of anything that means that Murph isn't on the air as much, which would likely cost the unbiased journalist money.

tebman
06-03-2005, 11:34 PM
At this point I think the Sox are going to wait and see if an exceptional season could boost the bids of both interested parties come the offseason. I'd like to see it stay on 1000 just cause I like 1000 and am used to it, but I hear 670 gets further reception so that would be a plus. Whatever, as long as I can still listen to my White Sox.

According to WSCR's own website (http://www.670thescore.com/info/advertise.shtml):

Looking to Advertise with Chicagosportsradio 670 The Score? Did we mention that we are a 50,000 watt rompin' stompin' Chicago Sports Talk radio station reaching 38 states and half of Canada? Email Dan Richman at dbrichman@cbs.com (dbrichman@cbs.com), or contact Dan directly at 312-245-6140.

So you should have no trouble hearing the Sox in DeKalb (or Duluth, or Omaha, or Oklahoma City, or Saskatoon! :cool: )

Rocklive99
06-04-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm gonna say they're going to 670, I don't think Uncle Jerry is happy with ESPN, and the Score needs something, in addition to major programming changes, to get out of the gutter. This is all just a guess though

paciorek1983
06-04-2005, 12:07 AM
I'd prefer them on 670, because of the reception. I prefer the personalities on 1000. Actually, the only one I can listen to on that station is Murphy.

Viva Medias B's
06-04-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't know what impact this will have, but WMVP-AM (1000) program director Len Weiner has been hired away by WGN-AM (720). For those of you Tribune-registered, here is the link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-0506030117jun03,1,5006951.story?coll=chi-technology-hed).

MUScholar21
06-04-2005, 09:29 AM
The thing that complicates things is that Uncle Jerry wants to make sure that the Bulls and Sox are on the same radio station. The Bulls' contract doesn't expire for another year, and I doubt ESPN1000 would agree to a one year deal because they know that that would be the end. I wouldn't be surprised if they negotiate to something along the lines of the Sox for 3 more years, and the Bulls for two more.

By the way, can the Score even handle having the Bulls, the Sox, AND the Hawks (assuming that ice sport comes back, I forget what it's called)? They have to move forward like it will still happen, I would think, and the Bulls and Hawks have a direct schedule conflict all the time. Plus, hockey's regular season runs into late April, which would conflict with the start of baseball season, not to mention spring training.

Brian26
06-04-2005, 09:43 AM
There is a serious issue right now with MLB that may factor into the equation. With the XM satellite radio agreement and the online MLB radio service, Selig is pressuring teams to move their broadcasts to FM radio outlets. The idea behind this is that the FM signal, which doesn't travel as far as the AM blowtorches, would limit people from outside the market from hearing games. So, whether you were in Dekalb or Oklahoma City, it would ultimately be a moot point. Selig wants your money, and it's not a bad idea if he can pull it off. I grew up in the late 70's/early 80's being able to pick up Milwaukee, Atlanta and even Texas Rangers games late at night on the transistor radio. There's a certain romance to all of that, and obviously that would be gone. Don't be surprised if the Sox sign a deal next year that would put them on the FM Dial- either WCKG (if they go with the Score's parent co.) or the Zone (if they renew with Disney).

Erik The Red
06-04-2005, 11:07 AM
I know several Zone listeners that are not sports fans, and would be completely put off by the Sox doing more games there. As for me I could care less, FM radio is mostly ass with a chance of suck.

hawkjt
06-04-2005, 11:20 AM
If Selig pushes that idea thru it would be a disaster for MLB. Remember how well recieved the Sox going to pay per view years ago. The current imbalance between the sox and cub fan bases are traced back to that debacle.

I am firmly convinced the sox added momentum to their fan base slide by going to AM1000 from the better signal at WMAQ670. Once downstate,Iowa and Wisconsin fans could not hear the games anymore they fled. This pay radio deal would backfire on MLB. If they want to be hockey then do this.

Jurr
06-04-2005, 11:29 AM
According to WSCR's own website (http://www.670thescore.com/info/advertise.shtml):

Looking to Advertise with Chicagosportsradio 670 The Score? Did we mention that we are a 50,000 watt rompin' stompin' Chicago Sports Talk radio station reaching 38 states and half of Canada? Email Dan Richman at dbrichman@cbs.com (dbrichman@cbs.com), or contact Dan directly at 312-245-6140.

So you should have no trouble hearing the Sox in DeKalb (or Duluth, or Omaha, or Oklahoma City, or Saskatoon! :cool: )

I sure as hell can't hear 670 in Memphis, TN, but on clear nights I can listen to 1000's broadcast on the road.

tebman
06-04-2005, 12:13 PM
I sure as hell can't hear 670 in Memphis, TN, but on clear nights I can listen to 1000's broadcast on the road.

As with so many things, Your Mileage May Vary. :wink:

Signal propagation is a crapshoot, depending on the weather, the season, the electrical conductivity of the soil where you're located, sunspots, etc. It's a matter of probability: the odds of getting a signal from WSCR at night over more thousands of square miles is greater than the odds of getting a signal from WMVP, given their frequencies, antenna patterns, and quality of their transmitter facilities.

I know that's a lot of "it depends," but it's really true. But the chances of hearing the Sox at night are better on 670 than on 1000.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Bob:

If you recall Les Grobstein posted a long story explaining how the previous administration at ESPN Radio 1000 was so hot to keep the Bulls that they overpaid for both the Bulls and Sox.

He stated that a meeting was held when the new management team took over and Uncle Jerry was asked to take less money since ownership claimed they were losing a lot of money. He refused which seemed to polarize both sides. ESPN Radio then hired Jay Mariotti, started a Cub show and generally appeared to be doing everything they could to force him to pull the teams off the site.

Les had specific numbers in terms of what was paid and what it was costing ESPN Radio but I don't recall them off hand.

Lip

soxjim
06-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I would prefer AM670. Living in Rockford the reception of AM 1000 fades around 8pm.

Fenway
06-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I think we have to wait to see what else Infinity has planned for its radio group.

Right now they have a lot of pissed off listeners in Chicago and New York City and the listeners they trying to attract with JACK FM already have Ipods or satellite.

Paulwny
06-04-2005, 04:56 PM
As with so many things, Your Mileage May Vary. :wink:

Signal propagation is a crapshoot, depending on the weather, the season, the electrical conductivity of the soil where you're located, sunspots, etc. It's a matter of probability: the odds of getting a signal from WSCR at night over more thousands of square miles is greater than the odds of getting a signal from WMVP, given their frequencies, antenna patterns, and quality of their transmitter facilities.

I know that's a lot of "it depends," but it's really true. But the chances of hearing the Sox at night are better on 670 than on 1000.

670 is just about impossible to hear in Western NY, 1000 at certain times in the evening comes in like a local station.

MisterB
06-04-2005, 05:34 PM
The transmitter for the Score is 50kW and non-directional, whereas Radio 1000 powers down at night and is directional. For comparison's sake:

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WSCR_AM_LU.gif

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WMVP_AM_LN.gif

The 'fringe' range only really applies during the day; at night atmospheric conditions determine how far the signal will go.

Foulke You
06-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I think there is no question that 670 would be a better station for the Sox. The signal is so much stronger and clearer. I happened to be in rural Indiana outside of Indianopolis on Thursday and AM670 came in as clear as a bell while AM1000 was mostly static and unlistenable.

lostletters
06-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Taking Jerry has been appearing almost exclusively on 670, I think it is very likely that is where the White Sox end up.

Additionally it seems he likes 670 because during the days and prime time nights it is exclusively about Chicago sports. Where as ESPN has a great deal of nationally syndicated programming. Jerry wants a station that will be talking chicago baseball year round and during most of the prime time hours.

Like it was said ESPN is offering half of the previous contract with the White Sox. Not a great way to encourage a renewal, even if the contract was overvalued, it was not overvalued by that much.

Additionally I think 670 is going to offer more then ESPN, and there is not a chilly relationship at this point.

The additional range of the broadcast is icing on the cake. While the Selig may not like it Reinsdorf is competing with another team in the city gets nationally covered. To Reinsdorf the signal range of 670 would just be the icing on the cake.

I would like to see the games go to 670, it would be nice to travel around the midwest and still hear the white sox.

It gets down to who wants the white sox more, and espn is acting like it does not want the white sox, while 670 is becoming very friendly with the Jerry.

misty60481
06-04-2005, 07:23 PM
There was one game this year they broadcast on 890--WLS---that has a good signal--either 670 or 890 is clear out here in boonies at night---1000 fades away to much at night.....

gosox41
06-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Bob:

If you recall Les Grobstein posted a long story explaining how the previous administration at ESPN Radio 1000 was so hot to keep the Bulls that they overpaid for both the Bulls and Sox.

He stated that a meeting was held when the new management team took over and Uncle Jerry was asked to take less money since ownership claimed they were losing a lot of money. He refused which seemed to polarize both sides. ESPN Radio then hired Jay Mariotti, started a Cub show and generally appeared to be doing everything they could to force him to pull the teams off the site.

Les had specific numbers in terms of what was paid and what it was costing ESPN Radio but I don't recall them off hand.

Lip

I wonder how the market will be now that both teams are winning. There are other factors (like the current advertisement $$ environment) but if the Sox make the playoffs, ratings will jump. I'm sure Bulls ratings were up this year.

Looks like MVP caught both teams at a down time (though he Sox were more disappointments as they were legit contenders.)

Bob

jehosaphat
06-04-2005, 09:27 PM
There is a serious issue right now with MLB that may factor into the equation. With the XM satellite radio agreement and the online MLB radio service, Selig is pressuring teams to move their broadcasts to FM radio outlets. The idea behind this is that the FM signal, which doesn't travel as far as the AM blowtorches, would limit people from outside the market from hearing games. So, whether you were in Dekalb or Oklahoma City, it would ultimately be a moot point. Selig wants your money, and it's not a bad idea if he can pull it off. I grew up in the late 70's/early 80's being able to pick up Milwaukee, Atlanta and even Texas Rangers games late at night on the transistor radio. There's a certain romance to all of that, and obviously that would be gone. Don't be surprised if the Sox sign a deal next year that would put them on the FM Dial- either WCKG (if they go with the Score's parent co.) or the Zone (if they renew with Disney).

Let's hope not. But if there is a buck to be made, they'll probably do it. What you said made sense.

I live in Normal and I enjoy listening to the game on the radio when I walk the dog, and then I come in and catch the rest of it on TV. 670 comes in much much better than 1000, so I'd like to see them switch.

I certainly could spring for the satelite radio thingamabob next year if they went to FM, but the hypothetical kid down the block who is laying in bed roaming around the dial will only be able to get WGN, which will lead to the Cubs dominating the region even further. The Cubs will never go to FM, and I think it will serve their fan base well. I hope the Sox stay on AM for a good long while.

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Bob:

Lip

Lip, that was the former management at WMVP before ABC-Disney bought it.

TornLabrum
06-04-2005, 09:44 PM
The transmitter for the Score is 50kW and non-directional, whereas Radio 1000 powers down at night and is directional.

It's directional but not powered down.

Rocklive99
06-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Did anyone hear Levineline on MJH today? I was in the shower, and he did his report from the Urinal, and at the end, threw out a nugget and said "Enjoy the White Sox while they're here, an announcement comming in the next few days" which scared the bejesus out of me, thinking that attendance problems or some other reason were causing Uncle Jerry to relocate, but then I thought about it, and realized he meant radio status.

So I guess what he meant was a movement to the Score announcment should be coming soon (or at least some where other than ESPN1000). This will probably limit my ESPN Radio listening when this takes affect. E.g. I'm guessing the Sox tickets and prizes the whole station would use were gotten because of being the Flagship, other than that, I don't really care as much about the ESPN Thursday ticket window. A combination of the Sox and a programming overhaul would probably have me keep my switch on the Score. Let's face it, ESPN Radio isn't that good, it's just that the Score is currently that much worse, that you listen to ESPN when you need to scratch the sports itch

PBRWarrior
06-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I would prefer the sox go to the Score. Then JHood and Lawrence Holmes can do the post game shows. I am not a big fan of ESpN's Yurko and Harry due to there elegence to the dark side. I prefer the personalities on the score much more. JR will hold out until he gets the most money possible. I will also probably get ripped for saying this but......Steve Stone works for the Score. I will throw this idea out there... I would love to see Steve Stone in the booth with Hawk. Steve Stone is a former Sox player...the darkside turned its back on him and kicked him in the sac. Steve Stone is a lot more talented then DJ. I am getting off subject but its just my thoughts.

DumpJerry
06-07-2005, 10:23 AM
I vote Score. Fenway had an excellent thread a while back on the technicalities of radio signals which spelled out why The Score has a better signal than AM1000. It comes down to the fact that in Seattle there is an AM1000 which sends its signal all the way past the Rockie Mountains, therefore, the FCC won't allow our AM1000 to send its signal westward. The Score does not have a similar signal conflict at 670, so the FCC allows them to blast the country (and Canada) with its signal at night after the Sun goes down and stops interfering with the AM signal.

The only advantage I see to FM is that I could listen to the games while driving downtown or in tunnels, a very annoying feature of the AM radio wave.

Regarding XM, I have some serious, SERIOUS, reservations. My problem with Sat. radio is that you need a special receiver to get it and if you want Sirius, you need theirs, too. Big sports fans would want XM and Sirius because Sirius has the NFL on their system. While it may be easy to purchase a handheld unit for each Sat. system, your automobile may be a different question.

samram
06-07-2005, 10:31 AM
The Score does not have a similar signal conflict at 670, so the FCC allows them to blast the country (and Canada) with its signal at night after the Sun goes down and stops interfering with the AM signal.

You know, when I'm in Chicago, I always hear the Score making the whole "38 states and Canada" claim. I'm only about 700 miles away, and I can every once in a while, at night, get some very fuzzy reception. I'm not sure which 38 states they're counting, but they shouldn't be counting NC. On the other hand, as long as I'm not around power lines, I can get the Sox broadcast fairly clearly after dark.

kevingrt
06-07-2005, 10:33 AM
I would prefer the sox go to the Score. Then JHood and Lawrence Holmes can do the post game shows. I am not a big fan of ESpN's Yurko and Harry due to there elegence to the dark side. I prefer the personalities on the score much more. JR will hold out until he gets the most money possible. I will also probably get ripped for saying this but......Steve Stone works for the Score. I will throw this idea out there... I would love to see Steve Stone in the booth with Hawk. Steve Stone is a former Sox player...the darkside turned its back on him and kicked him in the sac. Steve Stone is a lot more talented then DJ. I am getting off subject but its just my thoughts.

Steve Stone and Hawk, talk about budding egos, lol. I don't know if that would ever work, but it would be nice for the Sox to move to the Score so all the Sox fans out on the West in Rockford and such could listen to their favorite baseball team. I love the personalities at ESPN 1000 a lot, but Sox fans want to hear there team so they should get the opportunity too.

skobabe8
06-07-2005, 10:43 AM
It would be beneficial for the Sox to be on the Score. But to me personally, it makes no difference, because i have XM! :bandance:

tebman
06-07-2005, 11:03 AM
You know, when I'm in Chicago, I always hear the Score making the whole "38 states and Canada" claim. I'm only about 700 miles away, and I can every once in a while, at night, get some very fuzzy reception. I'm not sure which 38 states they're counting, but they shouldn't be counting NC. On the other hand, as long as I'm not around power lines, I can get the Sox broadcast fairly clearly after dark.
This is a topic that the "Your Mileage May Vary" netspeak phrase was made for.

Nighttime AM propagation depends on constantly changing things like magnetic charges in the upper atmosphere, atmospheric temperature layers, electrical conductivity of the soil, sunspot activity, level of electrical noise (from lamp dimmers, power supplies, and stuff like that). Those conditions can't be predicted. All a station can do is pump out the biggest signal the law allows and hope for the best.

WSCR has the benefit of a lower dial position than the other big Chicago AM stations. Signals at the lower end of the AM band carry better than those that are higher on the dial, so the probability of WSCR's signal hitting 38 states at any given time is pretty good.

To put it in baseball terms, WSCR's signal is typically a better than .300 hitter; WMVP's signal hits about .240 :D:

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Some radio folks lately have predicted the coming demise of FM radio as we know it. Some are prognosticating that within a decade, we'll all own handheld-size devices that function as phones, iPods and satellite/WiFi receivers. Like cell phones and iPods, we'll take them everwhere, but we'll also be able to plug them in (via Firewire or Bluetooth, etc.) to our car and home sound systems, and get high-speed Internet access. Under this model, all music, sports and entertainment content will be subscriber-based. So, we'd have to pay to listen to Sox broadcasts if they are right, but we could get them anywhere in the world....

chaz171
06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I'd rather have them on 670. When I was in High School, I could get Sox games at night in Dallas when they were on WMAQ.

AM 1000 hardly pushes past Westchester after dark.....