PDA

View Full Version : Sox Showing Interest In Preston Wilson?

Madvora
06-03-2005, 10:55 AM
This was in the rumor mill secion at CBSsportsline.com

Interest in Preston Wilson has grown significantly in the last week or so since the outfielder has discarded the left knee brace he has been wearing as a result of multiple surgeries, says the Denver Post. Wilson has looked impressively at bat and in the field and is on the radar screens of Atlanta, Florida, Baltimore, the Mets and the White Sox.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

daveeym
06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Nope, not unless colorado is picking up the tab and he's backing up from the bench.

mdep524
06-03-2005, 11:46 AM
An injury-prone, underacheiving, overpaid OF??

Just what the doctor ordered!

http://img213.echo.cx/img213/8223/brian7rj.jpg
Anything he can do I can do better... and cheaper

Fungo
06-03-2005, 11:54 AM
An injury-prone, underacheiving, overpaid OF??

Just what the doctor ordered!

:dye:

I resemble that remark.

Brian26
06-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Kenny was after Preston last year, but I just don't see how he fits in with the 2005 White Sox.

Chisox003
06-03-2005, 12:59 PM
I'll pass.

Next rumor, please.

NonetheLoaiza
06-03-2005, 01:03 PM
It doesn't make any sense at all, unless KW is going to get rid of an outfielder on the roster right now. We don't need Preston Wilson.

bayzbol44
06-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Would you do Dye (and maybe someone else) for Wilson? I wouldn't but maybe that is what KW is up to.

NonetheLoaiza
06-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Would you do Dye (and maybe someone else) for Wilson? I wouldn't but maybe that is what KW is up to.

If I understand correctly, Dye can't be traded for awhile yet, because he signed as a Free Agent. Plus, his bat is starting to heat up (IMO). I'd rather take my chances with Dye than Preston Wilson.

Iwritecode
06-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Wilson has looked impressively at bat and in the field and is on the radar screens of Atlanta, Florida, Baltimore, the Mets and the White Sox.

How do you look impressively?

Don't let Professor Nellie see this...

:)

Flight #24
06-03-2005, 02:13 PM
How do you look impressively?

Don't let Professor Nellie see this...

:)

Actually, it makes sense now. He's watching things (looking) in an impressive manner. Makes more sense than that he's playing impressively.

ShoelessJoeS
06-03-2005, 02:21 PM
If I understand correctly, Dye can't be traded for awhile yet, because he signed as a Free Agent. Plus, his bat is starting to heat up (IMO). I'd rather take my chances with Dye than Preston Wilson.
couldnt agree with you more, dye batted .275 with 7 homers, 12 rbis and 7 other xtrabase hits in may

Jjav829
06-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Talk about taking something out of context. Here's what the Denver Post article really says:

Wilson assumes he will be traded - Atlanta, Florida, the Mets, White Sox and Baltimore are potential fits - and the market has become more active over the past few days.

It says nothing about the Sox having interest in Wilson. The article only speculates that the Sox would be a fit for him.

samram
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Talk about taking something out of context. Here's what the Denver Post article really says:

It says nothing about the Sox having interest in Wilson. The article only speculates that the Sox would be a fit for him.

Which isn't even necessarily the case, especially with Dye coming around.

JB98
06-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Wilson = a much more expensive version of Dye

Pass.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-03-2005, 05:00 PM
:dye:

I resemble that remark.

stole my thunger. only difference is that JD would probably have better numbers if he played at coors.

TBlock29
06-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Todays Denver post

The Rockies are bracing for a future without Preston Wilson since he junked his brace eight days ago.

For the first time since undergoing multiple surgeries last season, Wilson is playing with a naked left knee. A return of his defensive aggressiveness and offensive power followed, an encouraging development as suitors begin attempting to piece together a trade for the center fielder.

"I just decided to go for it," said Wilson, who has a six-team no-trade clause. "It feels great. I finally feel closer to my old self."

Without the bulky brace, Wilson's range immediately improved. He tracked down several long flyballs at Wrigley Field and continues adjusting routes when necessary, something not seen earlier this season.

"There's no comparison," outfield coach Dave Collins said. "I noticed a difference right away with his first step. He's able to go back on the ball much better."

Wilson believes the brace also affected his hitting because of the slight weight involved. Counting Thursday's ninth-inning pinch-hit single, he's 8-for-25 without the brace, including three home runs and six RBIs.

Wilson assumes he will be traded - Atlanta, Florida, the Mets, White Sox and Baltimore are potential fits - and the market has become more active over the past few days.

"It's out of my control," Wilson said. "When they tell me it's time to go, I will go."

Reviewing options

TheOldRoman
06-03-2005, 09:09 PM
The article says the Sox are a "potential fit", not that the Sox have expressed interest in him.

Unregistered
06-03-2005, 10:04 PM
The article says the Sox are a "potential fit", not that the Sox have expressed interest in him.
Which one can only assume means that they are one of the 6 teams he'd allow the Rockies to trade him to...

gosox41
06-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Todays Denver post

The Rockies are bracing for a future without Preston Wilson since he junked his brace eight days ago.

For the first time since undergoing multiple surgeries last season, Wilson is playing with a naked left knee. A return of his defensive aggressiveness and offensive power followed, an encouraging development as suitors begin attempting to piece together a trade for the center fielder.

"I just decided to go for it," said Wilson, who has a six-team no-trade clause. "It feels great. I finally feel closer to my old self."

Without the bulky brace, Wilson's range immediately improved. He tracked down several long flyballs at Wrigley Field and continues adjusting routes when necessary, something not seen earlier this season.

"There's no comparison," outfield coach Dave Collins said. "I noticed a difference right away with his first step. He's able to go back on the ball much better."

Wilson believes the brace also affected his hitting because of the slight weight involved. Counting Thursday's ninth-inning pinch-hit single, he's 8-for-25 without the brace, including three home runs and six RBIs.

"It's out of my control," Wilson said. "When they tell me it's time to go, I will go."

Reviewing options

Do the Sox need another OFer more then they need a couple of pitchers and maybe a third basemen who can hit more consistently?

Bob

TheOldRoman
06-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Can Wilson play third?

Mohoney
06-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Which one can only assume means that they are one of the 6 teams he'd allow the Rockies to trade him to...

A 6 team no-trade clause is the exact opposite. It means that there are only 6 teams he can VETO a trade to.

Jurr
06-04-2005, 12:20 PM
stole my thunger. only difference is that JD would probably have better numbers if he played at coors.
Hard to put that one any better.

samram
06-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Do the Sox need another OFer more then they need a couple of pitchers and maybe a third basemen who can hit more consistently?

Bob

No, they don't.

Foulke You
06-04-2005, 03:58 PM
I think at this time of year, you are going to see the Sox name come up in many trade rumors simply because of where we are at in the standings. Anytime a player becomes available, a sports writer is going to offer speculation that the contending teams might need him whether it fits the needs of the team or not.

Chisox003
06-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I dont see any sense in this trade, really

Rumors are rumors, and I highly doubt Preston Wilson will be playing for the White Sox this season...Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sent to the AL due to the DH availabilty

As for our Sox, I just dont see it

Lip Man 1
06-04-2005, 08:13 PM
A deal like this would give the Sox a glut of outfielder / DH types. It only makes sense if there are other trades to follow unloading some of that surplus.

Lip

PBRWarrior
06-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Carl Everett for P. Wilson. Then KW can send some minor leaguers to Col and get Everett back for the 3rd time! That would be a great idea!! Give me a break, look at PW stats in Col vs. on the road. He blows. No reason to make a trade just to make it.

chisoxmike
06-05-2005, 10:49 PM
No, no ,no! Wilson is a poor man's Jermiane Dye. The only thing KW needs to get mid-season is bullpen help.

SoxFanTillDeath
06-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Dye>Wilson...no question about it. Defensively, offensively, and Dye makes a heck of a lot less.

joe_tansey2004
06-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Anybody else hear about a possible deal for Preston Wilson? I dont understand why this is being talked about. What do we need another outfielder for? Dye is heating up, Rowand and Pods are playing well, whats the point? I read it on www.sportsline.com (http://www.sportsline.com) in the MLB Rumor Mill section. It was also in the Daily Southtown a few days ago.