PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Garcia is taller than I thought!!!

chisoxfanatic
06-02-2005, 09:33 PM
So, I was grocery shopping tonight at the Jewel on Roosevelt and Wabash, my usual grocery store, and when I was about to get to the checkout lane, lo and behold was Freddy Garcia!!! My jaw dropped...The guy is so huge!!!!

Not to mention, he's a damn great pitcher too...

Where have you come across your favorite teams' players in public?

SpammySosa
06-02-2005, 09:41 PM
So, I was grocery shopping tonight at the Jewel on Roosevelt and Wabash, my usual grocery store, and when I was about to get to the checkout lane, lo and behold was Freddy Garcia!!! My jaw dropped...The guy is so huge!!!!

I don't live too far from Ron Kittle and have run into him various places.He is always as friendly as can be. On a side note, I used to see Cubs great Mickey Morandini fairly often at a place I used to work.

gobears1987
06-02-2005, 09:42 PM
I live in Valpo too. Kittle is the only SOx player I've run into.

Brian26
06-02-2005, 09:47 PM
I ran into Foulke and his then bride-to-be at Blockbuster in Willowbrook at the end of 2000 (just after the playoff loss).

Soxzilla
06-02-2005, 09:55 PM
I ran into Foulke and his then bride-to-be at Blockbuster in Willowbrook at the end of 2000 (just after the playoff loss).

Did you ask him if Carlos Guillen's foot was in the batters box?

:redneck

:(:

White Sox Josh
06-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Not sox players but I met most of the Cardinals team in 99 when i was staying in Milwaukee at the Hyatt. I met LaRussa, McGwire, Renteria, Drew, and Duncan.

hose
06-02-2005, 10:01 PM

Freddy looks pretty imposing on tv , I don't have to stand next to him to tell he is a big dude.

It's funny otoh that some football players actually don't seem as large in person.

Greg Townsend, a 2 time All-Pro defensive end, use to stop after the game for a beer with us in the parking lot of the Coliseum when the Raiders played in LA.

He always had one cigarette behind his ear and somebody would give him a match. Real nice guy and was put together , but he could have passed for a iron worker or just a regular guy.

I got a kick out of his car, a late model Coupe De Ville with a coat hangar as the antenna.

Howie Long parked in the lot also , but he was all business and would just say hi and keep walking to his car.

The one guy that was very imposing in person up close was Karl Mecklenburg , a linebacker form the Broncos.

But the linebackers are suppose to put the fear of God in you.:o:

whitesoxwilkes
06-02-2005, 10:07 PM

Ozzie himself shops at the same Dominick's as me and Brian26...corner of Madison and Halsted.

When I lived in the South Loop, I used to run into Garland at Starbucks at least 2 times a month. He'd always say hello after I bought him a coffee once.

ATXBMX
06-02-2005, 10:19 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2938&stc=1

He's especially intimidating when he's staring you down.

paciorek1983
06-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Dustin Hermanson at Bed, Bath and Beyond and Grand and State. I think he might live in Grand Plaza. I saw him there after the first Sox-Cubs game.

FredManrique
06-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Jorge Orta lived near me in the south suburbs when I was in high school. Maybe he still lives there; I don't. My dad said he used to see him in the health club, but I don't think I would have recognized him.

South Side
06-02-2005, 11:36 PM

Did you talk to him?

Sox of White
06-02-2005, 11:37 PM

I'm jealous. I have been to that Jewel a couple times and I never saw anyone, ever.

DaleJRFan
06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I sat next to Bo Jackson at Stir Crazy in Oak Brook. And you guys think Freddy Garcia is big????

Does being in the same "gentlemen's club" as the entire Pirates roster during Spring Training in Tampa count for anything??? Jjav knows the story.

Rocklive99
06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Lol, everytime I hear someone say that they see an athlete, it happens at a Jewel

And the media says he spends his nights clubbin and boozin it up :rolleyes:

Mr. White Sox
06-02-2005, 11:42 PM
I've seen or spoken to (for some reason, it always seems to be Bulls):
Kirk Hinrich
B.J. Armstrong
Brian Williams (really nice guy...Didn't he change his name to Bison something and get murdered? *shudder)
Michael Jordan (Totally ignored my hello, not cool :(:)
I've yet to meet or see a ChiSox player outside of the ballpark, and the same goes for flub players (who I live closer to)

soxfan43
06-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Never seen a sox player, though I do live by that jewel on halsted. saw antonio alfonseca at a bar after a cubs game af ew years ago, he left with by far the ugliest girl in the bar.

DumpJerry
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Used to live a couple of blocks from Bill Veeck. He would come down to my beach where I was a lifeguard. Good guy.

I went to high school with WSI's own Voodoochile. Under the pain of death, I will not divulge any additional details.

rmusacch
06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
I sat next to Bo Jackson at Stir Crazy in Oak Brook. And you guys think Freddy Garcia is big????

Does being in the same "gentlemen's club" as the entire Pirates roster during Spring Training in Tampa count for anything??? Jjav knows the story.

I met Dennis Rodman at a strip club in Dallas. I walked into the bathroom and see this huge freak with tattoos and piercings and wonder who he is for a minute and then realize holy **** that is Rodman.

chisoxfanatic
06-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Did you talk to him?

I was too speechless to get anything out...I just said in a faint voice to my boyfriend "THAT'S FREDDY GARCIA!!!"

Jjav829
06-03-2005, 02:32 AM
I've seen or spoken to (for some reason, it always seems to be Bulls):
Kirk Hinrich

Care to expand on that?

CLR01
06-03-2005, 04:12 AM
Lol, everytime I hear someone say that they see an athlete, it happens at a Jewel

And the media says he spends his nights clubbin and boozin it up :rolleyes:

Maybe he was out of asprin? :?:

I played basketball (well sort of) with some former Bears players when I was in sixth grade. I also met/spoke with former Bear CB Donnell Woolford around the same time.

I have met former Blackhawk Troy Murray a couple of times.

So Sox players though.

jabrch
06-03-2005, 06:46 AM
I saw Hawk at Greek Islands on Halsted and Adams after the game on Sunday.

thepaulbowski
06-03-2005, 07:46 AM
When I lived at 1130 S Michigan, I was waiting for the valet folks to bring my car around when my wife nudged me says "don't you know who is standing next to you." I wasn't really paying attention (no coffee yet) and lo & behold it was Harold Baines. I said hello, he said hello and then we both left.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I ran into Harry Carey once at old Comiskey and got his autograph. He was a big guy too, I was surprised.

LongLiveFisk
06-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Ray Durham at the Willowbrook Burger King on Rt 83/Kingery back in 2000 when he was still with the Sox.

Spicoli
06-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Many years ago, working at a country club in the Chicagoland area, I caddied for (on different occassions):

Frank Thomas (Jim McMahon was in the foursome)
Stan Makita
George Blanda
Sam Snead (actually chauffered him around in a cart because he was old then)

One year they had a charity golf tournament where all old White Sox and Cubs players and managers came played. I worked the front door where I met just about all of them and then later helped run the tournament, which allowed me time to mingle with the players too. Mudcat Grant taught me how to throw a slider. There were about fifty old ball players there; I still have the program somewhere. It was a great day.

I was scheduled to caddy for Michael Jordan, but there was major thunder storm that day!

At a Las Vegas Senior Tour golf tournament I caddied for an amateur who played with Lee Trivino, Chi Chi Rodriguez and several other pro golfers.
In sum, working on a golf course is a great way to see pro athletes. It was a wonderful job for many years as a teenager and into my college years. Good memories.

By the way, a recnet non-athlete funny story: about three months ago I was at the Indianapolis airport behind Ted Nugget as he cused out one of the ticket vendors. He's a very tall person.

CHIsoxNation
06-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Well, I played baseball with Anthony Manuel in High School, so when I would hang out with him outside of school I used to see a lot of the guys on the team in various places.

But when I was younger, I met Ozzie Guillen and Robin Ventura when I was waiting for an eye doctor's appointment. I guess they have small trainer facility in the same Primary Care Center my eye doctor was in. I thought I was seeing stuff (since I was waiting to get my eyes checked), but Ozzie was in the waiting room one day. And Robin was in there a few months later. It was pretty cool, I had nothing for them to sign.

I only said hi to Ozzie but Robin actually talked to me for a little bit while we were waiting for our appointments. Very down to earth guy. :smile:

Cubsuck_a_lot
06-03-2005, 09:16 AM
my babysitter used to be the daughter of Stan Mikita. she did like a summer nanny thing as my parents both work long days and there are four kids. either way, sometimes she'd take us over to The Mikita Household in Burr Ridge and he'd be sitting there watching Perry Mason. phenomenal guy. weird to see sports figures in person that you watch on tv or hear about. god, that was 12 years ago. it seems like yesterday.

ozzman
06-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I caddied for Jocelyn Lemieux, Howard Sudberry and other times for a group that included Peter Jacobsen and Mark Calcavecchia

illini13
06-03-2005, 09:25 AM
I was at Crazy Horse with a former Illini basketball player friend and Frank Thomas came in and sat right next to us. It was when Frank was going through his divorce so he probably needed a good distraction!

daveeym
06-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Kyle Farnsworth at Tai's til' 4. Surprise Surprise. And had big Frank walk by me at Hunt Club a few years ago with my drunk roommate screaming at him to "hit more home runs." Got in his mercedes with this blond and had I believe "long ball" as the vanity plate. Kinda made my roommates drunk comment more poignant.

In both cases they were much "smaller" than i expected. Frank is probably 2 inches shorter than he's listed and looked svelte as hell. Both were ripped and in good shape but both looked shorter and leaner than they do on the tube.

dickallen15
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
my babysitter used to be the daughter of Stan Mikita. she did like a summer nanny thing as my parents both work long days and there are four kids. either way, sometimes she'd take us over to The Mikita Household in Burr Ridge and he'd be sitting there watching Perry Mason. phenomenal guy. weird to see sports figures in person that you watch on tv or hear about. god, that was 12 years ago. it seems like yesterday.

When did she become the ex-daughter of Mr. Mikita?

Sxy Mofo
06-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Michael Jordan (Totally ignored my hello, not cool :(:)

I'm not sure why Michael would do that. It would seem to me he couldn't wait to talk to every fan that has ever said hello. He's got to be lonely.

Chez
06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
About 10-12 years ago, I sat next to Emmitt Smith, Gary Fencik, Don Mattingly and Neil Anderson on small commuter jets -- all within a two month span. It was kind of weird. No one believed me until I asked Emmitt for his boarding pass (which he gave me) as "proof."

Sargeant79
06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
When I was about 14 I was a counselor at a day camp. John Paxson came to do a clinic one day there (I think he went to college or high school with the director). He was really cool with all the kids. It was the summer right after he hit the shot to beat the Suns in the finals.

A few years back I saw Ron Artest with two cartfuls of electronics at the Best Buy on North Avenue. I think it was during his rookie season.

Other than that, very few brushes with sports fame for me. I'm a musician, so I've met a lot more "rock stars" than anything.

pinotgrigio
06-03-2005, 11:17 AM
I've run into Mike Singletary and his wife a couple of times at the Millrose Brewing Co. in Barrington. We'd just had our second child, and he and wife stopped to ogle him a bit. It was pretty cool. He's still huge.:cool:

jackbrohamer
06-03-2005, 11:22 AM
In 2003 the night before the All Star Game (after the home run hitting contest), at the bar in the Westin Hotel restaurant we saw at least 20 players, plus Dusty "I don't go out at night" Baker.

Hangar18
06-03-2005, 11:26 AM
I run into a disproportionate amount of celebrities for whatever reason,
and I must say, I run into a lot of cub players and always at BARS

JDub35
06-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I saw most of the 2005 Chicago White Sox at Sox Fest 2005 :D:

Brian26
06-03-2005, 12:04 PM
We'd just had our second child, and he and wife stopped to ogle him a bit. It was pretty cool. He's still huge.:cool:

And when "Singletary eyes" ogle you, you've really been ogled.

tacosalbarojas
06-03-2005, 12:59 PM
I was at Crazy Horse with a former Illini basketball player friend and Frank Thomas came in and sat right next to us. It was when Frank was going through his divorce so he probably needed a good distraction!Judging from your screen name I'd have to guess your "former Illini basketball player" is none other than the metrosexual himself, Kendall Gill. Come on, now, can't ID Frank and not your buddy!

wdelaney72
06-03-2005, 01:10 PM
I was at Crazy Horse with a former Illini basketball player friend and Frank Thomas came in and sat right next to us. It was when Frank was going through his divorce so he probably needed a good distraction!

I don't think it's any big secret that Big Frank was a frequent guest of the Crazy Horse.

MHOUSE
06-03-2005, 02:45 PM
When I was little my mom won a weekend stay at the Hilton downtown and it happened to be the weekend of a Bears-Packers game and IIRC my dad and I ended up in an elevator with Reggie White and some of the Packers' other defensive linemen. I was maybe 5 or 6 so they seemed enormous to me and towered over my dad who's only 5' 10" or so.

At the Tampa Airport in January I remember hearing them page "passenger Jon Rauch" for a flight somewhere and I wondered if he lived in Florida and quickly scanned the terminal for a 6-11 guy, but no luck. I don't even know if it was him or not.

Cubsuck_a_lot
06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
When did she become the ex-daughter of Mr. Mikita?

good zing.

boiler up
06-03-2005, 03:56 PM
jim parque used to hang out down the street from me. he was good buddies with one of the guys.

chisoxfan64
06-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Bo Jackson at Dominick`s, Frank Thomas at the Patio Restaraunt and Ozzie at a block party. Every sighting I was like a kid in a candy store.

Mickster
06-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Judging from your screen name I'd have to guess your "former Illini basketball player" is none other than the metrosexual himself, Kendall Gill. Come on, now, can't ID Frank and not your buddy!

Could it be that Illini13 is Kendall Gill? :?: :?: :?: :D: :D: :D:

chisox
06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
no sox players. but i met a-rod on campus spring semester last year. he's a beast. honestly, can't be human.

DumpJerry
06-03-2005, 04:58 PM
This story is a hoot:

A friend of mine had some elderly aunts from the old country (Austria) visiting here one summer. They went to Gibson's steak house for dinner one night. After dinner was over, one of the aunties from Austria asked a man who was standing nearby to take their picture. The man took their picture and asked the woman if she knew who he was. Since this was her first time in America, she had no clue. He said a couple of times "I'm a Yankee." The poor woman had no idea what it meant when Derek Jeter tells you he's a Yankee after he's taken your picture!

bluestar
06-03-2005, 05:18 PM
My only IRL Sox encounter was at Midway. My wife and I had been to Chicago for the weekend series against the Braves last year. The Sox won on Sunday afternoon and then were travelling to Florida to play the Marlins. I was wearing a Sox cap and a jersey, and my wife was wearing a Sox cap. As we were walking to our gate, Mark Buehrle almost walked into us as he was coming out of a bar. I said, "Nice game today!" He looked at our caps, smiled and said, "Thanks." Then we saw Ozzie and Esteban Loaiza come out of the same bar. Ozzie looked our way and nodded.

ewokpelts
06-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I run into a disproportionate amount of celebrities for whatever reason,
and I must say, I run into a lot of cub players and always at BARS
Henry,
you run into EVERYONE AT BARS.....especially insane cub fans
Gene

ewokpelts
06-03-2005, 05:25 PM
I met Ron Artest when he did a signing at my stepdad's card store. It was during his rookie year. Super Nice. He was honestly shocked he had a rookie card, and that people were buying them.

My mom ran into a bunch of blackhawks players in St. Louis. She had just torn her acl (climbing into a bus while on work related business). She was in the elevator of her hotel and on a wheel chair when a bunch of hawks players got on. They all cringed when they saw her in the softcast. She told us the story not realizing that she was with the hawks. She mentioned that they all had leather bags(with hawks logo) all torn up and held together with tape.
Gene

the gooch
06-03-2005, 05:35 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2938&stc=1

He's especially intimidating when he's staring you down.

whatever shirt that garcia is wearing there, i want one too.

Wsoxmike59
06-03-2005, 06:00 PM
I ran in to Moose Skowron at Lindy's Chili on Archer/Western at lunch one day about 10 years ago. The owner of the establishment knew I was a big Sox fan and invited me over to meet the Moose when they were finished with lunch. I even had my picture taken with him, and he signed my "guest check" up at the counter.

I got to talk a little baseball with the Moose and was amazed how he remembered every detail from certain games he played.....I'm talking about the count, and who was on base at the time.....he was like a walking encyclopedia.

I could see why the Sox send him out to talk to community groups, and up in the suites. He's a very friendly guy.

P.S. Other than meeting Moose and having my picture taken with him, the thing I remember most was checking out his World Series Ring from the Yankees. Very cool. :D:

jake27
06-03-2005, 07:27 PM
i saw mike singletary xmas shopping at the former kmart on rand road in lake zurich. he was putting a lot of things in his car so i only said hi.

a family friend partied with freddy garcia a few years ago while she was in college there and freddy was in spring training.

a former co-worker and her friend went to a white sox game and tried to talk to carlos lee. well she ended up giving carlos her number and the next week carlos called her and left a message on her answering machine, she never called back tho.

ran into anthony thomas at wendys in lake zurich a few years ago, friend got his autograph on a napkin.

when i was a wee-lad around 1 or 2, my family went to eat at walter paytons restaurant. we were in the parking lot and my mom and dad see walter in the parking lot and he comes over to us. he sees me and picks me up and plays with me for a minute or two... well at least thats what my mom tells me.

kinda related to the topic (or not), my best friend was at a michael jordan basketball camp and won something and got to play 1 on 1 with MJ, im still very jelious to this day.