PDA

View Full Version : USCF in the top 5 viewed

paciorek1983
06-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Finally our ballpark made it in to the top 5 viewed during the month of May on the ballparksofbaseball.com website. Normally it's almost the same old 4 every month: Yankee, Fenway, Camden, Wrigley and then either SBC or other misc park.

Nice to see some people are interested in our park. I'm sure adding new pictures to the site has helped as well. It would be nice if even more fans here, who take pictures, would post at that site.

CPditka
06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I always think it but never ask it... Why doesnt the Cell face north like the old park? The view would be much better. I realize that this has been beat like a dead horse that its wrong, but WHY did they do it??

fincher
06-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I always think it but never ask it... Why doesnt the Cell face north like the old park? The view would be much better. I realize that this has been beat like a dead horse that its wrong, but WHY did they do it??

I believe JR wanted the park to still be at 35th and Shields. Plus, the logistics of having the park turned the other way would affect the existing parking, etc. I wish it were turned the other way. I like the tradition of right field being the sun field and a lefty being a true southpaw, i.e., facing south. Plus, those in the upper deck would see downtown.

mantis1212
06-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Finally our ballpark made it in to the top 5 viewed during the month of May on the ballparksofbaseball.com website. Normally it's almost the same old 4 every month: Yankee, Fenway, Camden, Wrigley and then either SBC or other misc park.

Nice to see some people are interested in our park. I'm sure adding new pictures to the site has helped as well. It would be nice if even more fans here, who take pictures, would post at that site.

Link? I couldn't find these rankings on the site...

JohnBasedowYoda
06-02-2005, 03:20 PM
you can post on that site? i've got some tasty shots

illini13
06-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Anyone else notice it's the Marlins playing the Expos at the Cell in the picture. Could they have at least picked a game where WE were actually playing to take a picture.:?:

miker
06-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Anyone else notice it's the Marlins playing the Expos at the Cell in the picture. Could they have at least picked a game where WE were actually playing to take a picture.:?:

Oh, oh...here comes more ammunition for the "empty blue seats" crowd...

paciorek1983
06-02-2005, 03:54 PM
you can post on that site? i've got some tasty shots

Post 'em if ya got 'em.:bandance:

Also, if you can post on ballparks.com please do that as well.:smile:

pinwheels3530
06-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Post 'em if ya got 'em.:bandance:

Also, if you can post on ballparks.com please do that as well.:smile:

I have some pictures that I can post!

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 04:33 PM
I believe JR wanted the park to still be at 35th and Shields. Plus, the logistics of having the park turned the other way would affect the existing parking, etc. I wish it were turned the other way. I like the tradition of right field being the sun field and a lefty being a true southpaw, i.e., facing south. Plus, those in the upper deck would see downtown.

The Sox believed the wind almost always blew in at the old park, so they rotated the new one so it would blow out. Seems to have worked too...

na_na_na_na
06-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Money is the reason the park faces south east. The drainage system would have had millions of more dollars poured into it to hook up with the sewers if it face the other direction.

skobabe8
06-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Money is the reason the park faces south east. The drainage system would have had millions of more dollars poured into it to hook up with the sewers if it face the other direction.

I've never heard that. And no offense, but it doesnt seem believable. I used to work in public works through high school and college and I cant see that being true.

Infallible
06-02-2005, 05:43 PM
That does sound pretty crazy. The new park had to be rerouted anyways.

Brian26
06-02-2005, 05:56 PM
I've never heard that. And no offense, but it doesnt seem believable. I used to work in public works through high school and college and I cant see that being true.

It's not true for several reasons. The Chicago sewer system (combined sewers usually 15-20 feet deep down the centerline of most right-of-ways in the city) would be able to accomodate either scenario without "millions of dollars" in extra costs. In fact, the way it is designed now seems to be the more expensive scenario.

Brian26
06-02-2005, 05:57 PM
I believe JR wanted the park to still be at 35th and Shields. Plus, the logistics of having the park turned the other way would affect the existing parking, etc.

This is the correct answer.

na_na_na_na
06-02-2005, 06:02 PM
It's not true for several reasons. The Chicago sewer system (combined sewers usually 15-20 feet deep down the centerline of most right-of-ways in the city) would be able to accomodate either scenario without "millions of dollars" in extra costs. In fact, the way it is designed now seems to be the more expensive scenario.

Thanks for the correction. I don't remeber where I heard that but I always thought it was a little fishy.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-02-2005, 06:07 PM

Actually there is some truth to the cost savings argument. When public debate over where the new ballpark should be located -- and who should pay for it -- the subject of public infrastructure savings was highlighted by placing the ballpark on 35th Street. All the utlities (electric, water, sewer) are already underneath 35th Street. Since these costs were to be picked up from government sources, it was "sold" as a cost saving move by the politicians.

Granted, placing homeplate at 37th couldn't have cost that much more, but the traditionalists were screaming to keep the Sox at 35th & Shields. Putting homeplate directly across the street from the old ballpark placated this group.

It's also worth noting that several new stadiums have been built across the street from the old facility for the EXACT same reason. New Comiskey Park was blazing new thinking on this subject, perhaps the only part of its design that was visionary.

It was NO BIG DEAL to have a skyline view back in 1987-88, and the matter was never seriously discussed except by people like architect Philip Bess. His proposal went nowhere.

I suggest everyone just stop whining about it already. The Urinal doesn't face downtown and it's a shrine. You couldn't see the skyline from inside Old Comiskey either. Just give it up already...

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I suggest everyone just stop whining about it already. The Urinal doesn't face downtown and it's a shrine. You couldn't see the skyline from inside Old Comiskey either. Just give it up already...

but the skyline is the most important thing about chicago :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-02-2005, 06:28 PM
but the skyline is the most important thing about chicago :?:

Right... that's why the Urinal faces downtown.
:cool:

Most 20th century major league baseball diamonds faced the northeast to make it easy for the hitters to see the ball. That's why both Old Comiskey and the Urinal face(d) this direction.

FACING DOWNTOWN IS A MODERN CONSIDERATION FOR THE DISNEYWORLD CROWD.

With most games now played at night, the northeast orientation isn't quite so important. Until Camden Yards and Jacobs Field ballparks didn't offer "skyline views" as part of the attraction. Last I checked the novelty of both these ballparks has eroded considerably.

Time for the Disney Crowd to find a new gimmick to be excited about baseball. If they want an adult amusement park, they should go to Universal Studios or Heavenly Bodies.

Daver
06-02-2005, 06:41 PM

There is a 48" force main under thirty fifth street that heads west all the way to Kedzie, where it joins a 72" main that carries the sewerage to Stickney.

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
There is a 48" force main under thirty fifth street that heads west all the way to Kedzie, where it joins a 72" main that carries the sewerage to Stickney.
in english please...

illinibk
06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Time for the Disney Crowd to find a new gimmick to be excited about baseball. If they want an adult amusement park, they should go to Universal Studios or Heavenly Bodies.
That's right, send them to Heavenly Bodies. I don't want thos easily impressed people invading my space at the Admiral!

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 07:06 PM
in english please...

There's a big ass pipe that is close to USCF. It runs away from the lake and connects with an even bigger ass pipe somewhere off in the distance.

Daver
06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
There's a big ass pipe that is close to USCF. It runs away from the lake and connects with an even bigger ass pipe somewhere off in the distance.

You forgot to add that it ends up in Stickney.

:bandance:

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
ahhhh thats more like it....thanks!

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
You forgot to add that it ends up in Stickney.

:bandance:

Oh, sorry... Allow me to rephrase...

There's a big ass pipe that is close to USCF. It runs away from the lake and connects with an even bigger ass pipe somewhere off in the distance - and the stuff it carries is stinky...:D:

Hitmen77
06-02-2005, 09:32 PM

I agree. I can't honestly believe that people are not going to Sox games because of the orientation of the park. It's just another thing cooked up by the media over the last 14 years in their relentless desire to trash the ballpark.

Brian26
06-02-2005, 10:07 PM

An MWRD(GC) interceptor, if you will :D:

Impress me and tell me what that stands for.

Brian26
06-02-2005, 10:13 PM

I'm glad you mentioned this because, to be honest, the view of the Chicago skyline from New Comiskey would NOT be that dramatic anyway. The stadium is far enough away (4 or 5 miles?) that it just wouldn't be an integral part of the environment. Now, if way back when everyone could have positioned themselves on the same page and put a new stadium at Roosevelt and Canal (where the new Dominick's is) in the south loop, the skyline view would have been magnificent. It would have been breathtakingingly incredible. The Sears Tower could have loomed over the leftfield bleachers like a giant. From 35th Street, the Sears Tower just looks like a cool building 5 miles away.

Daver
06-02-2005, 10:17 PM
An MWRD(GC) interceptor, if you will :D:

Impress me and tell me what that stands for.

MWRD is Metrapoltitan Water Reclamtion District, but the force main under thirty fifth is City of Chicago dept. of sewers, it doesn't come under the MWRD jurisdiction till it hits Kedzie, there is a pumping station there to get it to Stickney.

Brian26
06-02-2005, 10:49 PM
MWRD is Metrapoltitan Water Reclamtion District, but the force main under thirty fifth is City of Chicago dept. of sewers, it doesn't come under the MWRD jurisdiction till it hits Kedzie, there is a pumping station there to get it to Stickney.

Yes, I meant the 72" was an MWRD interceptor main. You're correct...the 48" line would be City of Chicago jurisdiction. You ever been down to the Department of Sewers on the 4th floor of the DePaul Center? I was just checking out their atlas maps last week.

Daver
06-02-2005, 10:54 PM
You ever been down to the Department of Sewers on the 4th floor of the DePaul Center? I was just checking out their atlas maps last week.

No, I make my boss run all my downtown errands.

I have maps for most of them south of Roosevelt at our shop.

pinwheels3530
06-03-2005, 05:29 AM
Actually there is some truth to the cost savings argument. When public debate over where the new ballpark should be located -- and who should pay for it -- the subject of public infrastructure savings was highlighted by placing the ballpark on 35th Street. All the utlities (electric, water, sewer) are already underneath 35th Street. Since these costs were to be picked up from government sources, it was "sold" as a cost saving move by the politicians.

Granted, placing homeplate at 37th couldn't have cost that much more, but the traditionalists were screaming to keep the Sox at 35th & Shields. Putting homeplate directly across the street from the old ballpark placated this group.

It's also worth noting that several new stadiums have been built across the street from the old facility for the EXACT same reason. New Comiskey Park was blazing new thinking on this subject, perhaps the only part of its design that was visionary.

It was NO BIG DEAL to have a skyline view back in 1987-88, and the matter was never seriously discussed except by people like architect Philip Bess. His proposal went nowhere.

Exactly what I was thinking!!

pinwheels3530
06-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Right... that's why the Urinal faces downtown.
:cool:

Most 20th century major league baseball diamonds faced the northeast to make it easy for the hitters to see the ball. That's why both Old Comiskey and the Urinal face(d) this direction.

FACING DOWNTOWN IS A MODERN CONSIDERATION FOR THE DISNEYWORLD CROWD.

With most games now played at night, the northeast orientation isn't quite so important. Until Camden Yards and Jacobs Field ballparks didn't offer "skyline views" as part of the attraction. Last I checked the novelty of both these ballparks has eroded considerably.

Right again!!

pinwheels3530
06-03-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm glad you mentioned this because, to be honest, the view of the Chicago skyline from New Comiskey would NOT be that dramatic anyway. The stadium is far enough away (4 or 5 miles?) that it just wouldn't be an integral part of the environment. Now, if way back when everyone could have positioned themselves on the same page and put a new stadium at Roosevelt and Canal (where the new Dominick's is) in the south loop, the skyline view would have been magnificent. It would have been breathtakingingly incredible. The Sears Tower could have loomed over the leftfield bleachers like a giant. From 35th Street, the Sears Tower just looks like a cool building 5 miles away.

Like This......

doublem23
06-03-2005, 06:09 AM
That's right, send them to Heavenly Bodies. I don't want thos easily impressed people invading my space at the Admiral!

The Admiral! :)

That place is such a ****ing dump. :cool:

Wsoxmike59
06-03-2005, 08:02 AM

Ed Norton: Like we say in the sewer, "time and tide wait for no man".

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/031112/honeymooner.jpg

Fake Chet Lemon
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Facing east gives the snipers a much cleaner shot.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Facing east gives the snipers a much cleaner shot.

Yet another urban legend... like the guy who found a dead mouse in his bottle of Coke or the welfare mother who won $10 million and was back on welfare in less than a year.

It's a good story for the terminally stupid to repeat over and over again.

Sxy Mofo
06-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Coors field doesn't have a skyline view either. Of course, from part of the stadium it's got a mountain view. I think that's better. The cell needs to get some mountains instead of those old apartment buildings...

Madvora
06-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I need help here.
How many rows are there in the lower section season ticket seats?
For example sections 121-143

voodoochile
06-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Coors field doesn't have a skyline view either. Of course, from part of the stadium it's got a mountain view. I think that's better. The cell needs to get some mountains instead of those old apartment buildings...

:reinsy
"Blame the fish... First they don't go to games and now it turns out they don't live in the mountains either. I tell you, it's impossible to draw fans with so many damned fish in the near vicinity..."

mjharrison72
06-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Citizen's Bank Park in Philly does, and I have to say Philly has one of the nicer skylines you're going to see. The effect from the ballpark is pretty magnificent, IMO.
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/phibpk01.jpg
EDIT: Not the best view, but you get the point... from our seats in the upper deck on the first-base side, the view of the skyline was great!

paciorek1983
06-03-2005, 01:03 PM
So, has anyone tried to post their pictures to ballparksofbaseball.com and/or ballparks.com yet?

Any response from the site?

Mark
06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Yet another urban legend... like the guy who found a dead mouse in his bottle of Coke or the welfare mother who won $10 million and was back on welfare in less than a year.

It's a good story for the terminally stupid to repeat over and over again.

PHG:

I realize this has nothing to do with the location of USCF or urban legends, but I do remember reading about a fan being killed by a bullet at a baseball game one time. So I went back and googled it and came up with this:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7035&pt=Bernard%20%27Barney%27%20Doyle

What a way to go. I wonder if they ever solved the mystery of who fired the gun?

pinwheels3530
06-03-2005, 04:32 PM
So, has anyone tried to post their pictures to ballparksofbaseball.com and/or ballparks.com yet?

Any response from the site?

I haver no response!