PDA

View Full Version : Toons/Twinks game thread

Tekijawa
06-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Just hit a Dong of Santana... I think that's his third in 3-4 days... Glad we get to see him next!

soxfan26
06-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Just hit a Dong of Santana... I think that's his third in 3-4 days... Glad we get to see him next!

The Herndon Hippos and Newburn Angels will be just 2 of several thousand fantasy teams that rejoice if it's true!! :bandance:

Jjav829
06-02-2005, 01:50 PM
The Herndon Hippos and Newburn Angels will be just 2 of several thousand fantasy teams that rejoice if it's true!! :bandance:

:whatever:

The Herndon Hippos and the Newburn Angels aren't going anywhere regardless. You'd be wise to trade them to someone else, perhaps to a certain Pud. :D:

kevingrt
06-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Victor is one the best young players and best young catchers in the game. He is a joy to watch versus anyone except the Sox, but I would like to see him this weekend at the Cell. Hopefully the Sox will win, but Victor should become a very solid player if not a star for years to come.

soxfan26
06-02-2005, 02:23 PM
:whatever:

The Herndon Hippos and the Newburn Angels aren't going anywhere regardless. You'd be wise to trade them to someone else, perhaps to a certain Pud. :D:

:dunno: You'll have to speak up, it's hard to hear you from way down there in the standings! :tongue:

maurice
06-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Update: 3-3 in the 10th.

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 03:47 PM
The mlb.tv feed is hilarious. Completely raw with no graphics or commercials and they appear be be showing the feed from the rollerdome replay TV during breaks.

Jerko
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
From sportsline.com gamecast:

Game Notes

Justin Morneau of the Twins left the game in the top of the 5th inning after suffering an injured elbow. He was replaced at first base by Matthew LeCroy.Nick Punto of the Twins left the game in the bottom of the 8th inning after suffering a leg injury. He was replaced at second base by Luis Rodriguez.

Unregistered
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
The mlb.tv feed is hilarious. Completely raw with no graphics or commercials and they appear be be showing the feed from the rollerdome replay TV during breaks.I especially like the commercial they keep showing that begs Minnesotans to demand a new stadium... but yeah, this feed sucks. I keep trying to figure out what the situation is - how many outs, the score, who's on base, etc...

From what I can tell, on to the 11th..

3-3

maurice
06-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Ideally, the Toons will win the game and blow out their bullpen in the process.

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I especially like the commercial they keep showing that begs Minnesotans to demand a new stadium... but yeah, this feed sucks. I keep trying to figure out what the situation is - how many outs, the score, who's on base, etc...

From what I can tell, on to the 11th..

3-3

Now picture it without sound...

gosox83
06-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Just so you all know Minnesota /Cleveland are in the 11th inning, and using all kinds of pitchers. Good for us! :smile:

Unregistered
06-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Now picture it without sound...I'm actually watching it without sound - but that's only because these announcers aren't helping any...

s.dedalus
06-02-2005, 04:15 PM
it's 3-3.

bluestar
06-02-2005, 04:20 PM
On to the 13th...

Unregistered
06-02-2005, 04:21 PM
...and on to the 13th.

What the hell?

They're playing Royals commercials during the break. This feed makes absolutely no sense.

bluestar
06-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Glad to see Romero replace Crain. Crain has been lights out lately for the Twinks.

Tekijawa
06-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Hope they go about 15 more innings... Sweet get-away day for Cleveland here... See you guys tomorrow!

owensmouth
06-02-2005, 04:25 PM
The Mistake by the Lake versus The Land of Swamps... let 'em play until tomorrow.

Unregistered
06-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Blech - an easy 13th for the Twins...

3-3
Bottom 13

Unregistered
06-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Dammit, Lew Ford doubles with 1 out.

Here comes Fatt LeCroy.

bluestar
Lew Ford doubles...

The good news is, the Toons have used five relievers so far.

cleanwsox
Ugh, I hate Lew Ford

Baby Fisk
06-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Glad to see Romero replace Crain. Crain has been lights out lately for the Twinks.
Crain is a Toronto native. Why are there no Canadians on the Sox? :(:

bluestar
06-02-2005, 04:33 PM
It seems like the Twins almost never lose an extra-innings game.

cleanwsox
06-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Fattie Lecroy K's, lets go Betancourt

Unregistered
He Gone!

2 down...

Unregistered
Crain is a Toronto native. Why are there no Canadians on the Sox? :(:Cause they all play for the Twins.

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Crain is a Toronto native. Why are there no Canadians on the Sox? :(:

Maybe because they suck at baseball, eh? :wink:

Seriously though, how many Canadians are in MLB altogether?

bluestar
06-02-2005, 04:36 PM
If Betancourt lets Hunter beat him, I may get physically ill.

Unregistered
06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
If Betancourt lets Hunter beat him, I may get physically ill.Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looked like 2 of those pitches called balls were RIGHT OVER the middle of the plate.

BTW, Hunter walks.

shaunburnette
06-02-2005, 04:41 PM
the Indians had their chance at this game multiple times already.

I dont see good things happening here with runners on the the Twins

Baby Fisk
06-02-2005, 04:42 PM
I can't find a comprehensive list, but there are dozens of Canucks infiltrating the most American of sports.

bluestar
06-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Oh well...

cleanwsox
06-02-2005, 04:43 PM
3.5 games now. Oh well, they get the Yankees this weekend.

WhiteSoxFan84
Rafael Betancourt you piece of CRAP.

Bright side: Indians used 6 pitchers today in 13 innings while we had the day off. Tomorrow, we should easily win the game.

So much for FeeFee Sabathia's comment after winning the first game, "We will win this division". Man, the Indians and Tigers (Dmitri) have a couple of guys on their teams that know how to overreact.

Unregistered
And of course the Twins win... :rolleyes:

Madvora
It's easier if we just play them head to head.

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Basehit and the twinkies win. 4-3.

Now here come the believers to tell us how we screwed up by talking about the game at all...:rolleyes:

dcb33
06-02-2005, 04:45 PM

This loss doesn't hurt as much as it otherwise would since both teams did a good job of chewing up the other's bullpen. We shall see how Minnesota's relief pitching stacks up tomorrow against the Yankees.

kittle42
What, did you expect the Twins to lose?

The Sox will need to beat the Twins heads up to win this division. The Twins bascially have the same record against the rest of baseball that the Sox do.

Unregistered

Now here come the believers to tell us how we screwed up by talking about the game at all...:rolleyes:Yep, here come all the "WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE LEARN?" posts...

mjharrison72
Maybe because they suck at baseball, eh? :wink:

ESPN's rundown on their potential lineup for the World Baseball Classic is telling:
Canada
Lineup
2B Pete Orr
RF Larry Walker
CF Jason Bay
1B Justin Morneau
3B Corey Koskie
DH Matt Stairs
LF Aaron Guiel
SS Danny Klassen
C Cody McKay

Starting pitchers: Rich Harden, Erik Bedard, Jeff Francis, Ryan Dempster
Bullpen: Eric Gagne, Jesse Crain, Paul Quantrill, Rheal Cormier, Aaron Myette
Bench: Simon Pond, Pete LaForest, Stubby Clapp, Rob Ducey

Stubby Clapp? :rolling:

cleanwsox
You don't deserve to win if you let Nick Punto kill you with a 2 run homer. Go rot in 3rd Injuns. :angry:

Flight #24
06-02-2005, 04:46 PM
3.5 games now. Oh well, they get the Yankees this weekend.

The Yanks are playing much better, their KC struggles notwithstanding, the Twinks go with their 3 worst starters, and they just used up their 'pen pretty hard.

If the Sox can take care of business v. the Tribe, we could easily be back at 4.5 or 5.5 on Monday.

TheOldRoman
06-02-2005, 04:47 PM
It just goes to show, once again, that the Indians are a gutless, spineless, nutless team that talks a lot but has no pride. I will enjoy the beating we put on them this weekend even more after the way they lied down for the Twins again in very winable games.

34 Inch Stick
06-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Why pitch to a clutch player like Jones when you could pitch to Abernathy. I know you hate to put the winning run on third but you are much more likely to get Abernathy out in that situation.

Well, the Indians bullpen is cashed for tomorrow and probably depleted for Saturday. If the Sox work their starters good things should happen this weekend.

Baby Fisk
06-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Stubby Clapp? :rolling:
Mercy...

maurice
06-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Mauer, Morneau, and Punto all left the game for various reasons.

ma-gaga
06-02-2005, 05:46 PM
The Yanks are playing much better, their KC struggles notwithstanding,

The Yankees beat up on Oakland and Detroit.

Iwritecode
06-02-2005, 05:46 PM

Now here come the believers to tell us how we screwed up by talking about the game at all...:rolleyes:

Superstitions are part of baseball.

Would you tell teammate that he had a no-hitter going in the middle of the game?

:tongue:

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Superstitions are part of baseball.

Would you tell teammate that he had a no-hitter going in the middle of the game?

:tongue:

No, because I wouldn't want to get my ass kicked and because those things aren't about superstition as much as they are about changing a mindset.

You don't want the pitcher pitching to protect a no hitter, you want him pitching just like he did in getting to the point where it might be worth mentioning (or not mentioning). Baseball is mental. You change the mental makeup, you alter the way things go and not always for the better.

But, I wouldn't hesitate to talk about it in chat or in these forums because what we say here has no (zero, zip, nada, nil) effect on what happens at the ballpark...:cool:

Mickster
06-02-2005, 05:58 PM
But, I wouldn't hesitate to talk about it in chat or in these forums because what we say here has no (zero, zip, nada, nil) effect on what happens at the ballpark...:cool:

Tell that to the Twins when we start a gameday thread in Talking Baseball before the game ends....:redneck

bluestar
06-02-2005, 06:10 PM
No, because I wouldn't want to get my ass kicked and because those things aren't about superstition as much as they are about changing a mindset.

You don't want the pitcher pitching to protect a no hitter, you want him pitching just like he did in getting to the point where it might be worth mentioning (or not mentioning). Baseball is mental. You change the mental makeup, you alter the way things go and not always for the better.

AMEN!

I have to admit, I always get a kick out of those "DJ is jinxing us again" threads, though.

Flight #24
06-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Tell that to the Twins when we start a gameday thread in Talking Baseball before the game ends....:redneck

Personally, I think Ron Gardenhire's spending time in the late innings loggin onto WSI and starting these threads himself!

Ol' No. 2
06-02-2005, 06:23 PM

But, I wouldn't hesitate to talk about it in chat or in these forums because what we say here has no (zero, zip, nada, nil) effect on what happens at the ballpark...:cool:If a pitcher is throwing a no-no, he knows it. What changes if you tell him what he already knows? It's superstition. If he's superstitious about it and you tell him, you've probably messed him up. It's like Nuke Laloosh. If he thinks he's pitching better because he's wearing garters, then he is.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
I also think that at this point haven't the Sox played a game or two more then Minnesota?

Lip

bluestar
06-02-2005, 07:00 PM
I also think that at this point haven't the Sox played a game or two more then Minnesota?

Lip

After today, the Sox have played 53 games, and the Twins have played 52.

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 07:02 PM
If a pitcher is throwing a no-no, he knows it. What changes if you tell him what he already knows? It's superstition. If he's superstitious about it and you tell him, you've probably messed him up. It's like Nuke Laloosh. If he thinks he's pitching better because he's wearing garters, then he is.

Sure, but knowing something is happening and confronting it are two different things. Regardless of the superstition, talking about it WILL alter his mindset and that is what screws things up, not some hand of fate reaching down and depositing a baseball where the defense ain't...

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 07:03 PM

Lip

I think it's one after today and the Sox won that game - which explains the .5 in the 3.5...

Eddie Gaedel
06-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Sure, but knowing something is happening and confronting it are two different things. Regardless of the superstition, talking about it WILL alter his mindset and that is what screws things up, not some hand of fate reaching down and depositing a baseball where the defense ain't...

i don't know voodoo, just because you tell a pitcher he's throwing a no-no doesn't mean the pitcher is confronting it. now, a conversation with the pitcher could alter the mindset/approach of his game, but who's to say it would negatively effect his game? maybe he would hunker down (hawkism) and pitch better. imo, the 'don't talk about it' rule is all about superstition.

MRKARNO
06-02-2005, 07:29 PM
While it sucks that the Twins won, it could not have happened in a better way. The Indians bullpen is now worn out a bit (Howry, Miller and Rhodes all threw more than 20 pitches) and the Twins lost Mauer, Morneau and Punto for a series against the Yankees.

voodoochile
06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
i don't know voodoo, just because you tell a pitcher he's throwing a no-no doesn't mean the pitcher is confronting it. now, a conversation with the pitcher could alter the mindset/approach of his game, but who's to say it would negatively effect his game? maybe he would hunker down (hawkism) and pitch better. imo, the 'don't talk about it' rule is all about superstition.

Oh, I agree that it is superstition, but my point (which was poorly made) is that it maybe that it has an actual physical basis. Don't disturb a guy with stuff he doesn't need to be thinking about when he is having a great game.

My point wasn't what people believe the issue is, it was about what actually happens physically when you bring it up. Is there a change in mindset? Is it for the better? So long as people believe it is bad luck to talk about it talking about it will have a negative impact most likely - self-fulfilling prophecy.

Again, though it has nothing to do with fate or luck or God or the Devil or any of it, just human minds playing tricks on human bodies...

bluestar
06-02-2005, 10:03 PM
While it sucks that the Twins won, it could not have happened in a better way. The Indians bullpen is now worn out a bit (Howry, Miller and Rhodes all threw more than 20 pitches) and the Twins lost Mauer, Morneau and Punto for a series against the Yankees.

Rivas is also on the DL. Punto may be out for a spell with that bad hammy.

On the other hand, the Yankees are looking like they may get swept by the Royals.

Iwritecode
06-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Again, though it has nothing to do with fate or luck or God or the Devil or any of it, just human minds playing tricks on human bodies...

I've always blamed it on Jo-boo... :wink:

Ol' No. 2
06-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Oh, I agree that it is superstition, but my point (which was poorly made) is that it maybe that it has an actual physical basis. Don't disturb a guy with stuff he doesn't need to be thinking about when he is having a great game.

My point wasn't what people believe the issue is, it was about what actually happens physically when you bring it up. Is there a change in mindset? Is it for the better? So long as people believe it is bad luck to talk about it talking about it will have a negative impact most likely - self-fulfilling prophecy.

Again, though it has nothing to do with fate or luck or God or the Devil or any of it, just human minds playing tricks on human bodies...I think it's just tradition. I doubt it would have any effect on the large majority of pitchers.

voodoochile
06-03-2005, 05:15 PM
I think it's just tradition. I doubt it would have any effect on the large majority of pitchers.

Depends on how strongly they believe the superstition, no?

Baby Fisk
06-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Depends on how strongly they believe the superstition, no?
Exactly. Superstitions work on those who believe in them. The rest of us are normal. :cool: